Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Oulson (43) was shot dead in a movie theater by a man who asked him to stop using his phone during the previews

also, how does shooting someone who threw popcorn at you = reason to "stand your ground"? granted, i wasn't there, didn't see what happen but damn, that's pretty extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

This disgusts me. The fact that he was a former cop and lost his shit enough to KILL someone over texting in a movie theater makes it a million times worse.

Just looking at his FB photos and my heart is broken. He really loved his little girl. She looks more like 20ish months, not 3. This story has hit me harder than most. My daughter is 19 months old and would be inconsolable if her sweet daddy never came home. Whyyy do things like this happen? Fuck. Life sucks.

And the movie hadn't even started... shot during the previews. That really sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Now featuring creatures. Creature Feature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Oh whatever. I'm that person who hates people who use their phones in the movie theater, but this was during the previews. He was probably texting his daughter goodnight before the movie started and this asshole just had a bug in his ass. No amount of texting during a movie or arguing gives a guy a right/reason to use a gun.

He left the theater and came back, so he probably went to go get his gun. 1st degree murder.
    Hey, not saying that the guy with the gun was right. Personally, I dont understand everyone's obsession with guns in public places and being able to "defend" yourself from the evil masses. Taking a gun to a movie theater seems like something only a scared, socially out of touch person would do. Or an asshole. Them too. But if you are going to tell me that someone texting in a movie, being asked to stopped several times, clearly bothering those around you, and then getting into an argument and throwing popcorn at someone isn't a dick move then I'd say you're wrong.

Still, a million other ways this could have been handled by both parties. Maybe it would't have mattered since the shooter seems kinda nuts but it'd be better than escalating things.

Stop texting. If it's an emergency explain that, or excuse yourself from the theater. Apologize? Don't blow a dude off when he tells you its bothering him or give him a hard time when he tried to get management to handle it. Don't throw shit at another adult during a stupid argument. I know Im getting grumpy as time goes on but is common fucking courtesy and respect just completely lost?

Still, not even close to a reason to get shot. But, so far, there seems to be shitty behavior on both parties. The shooter could have easily moved seats or just sucked it up. The guy probably wouldn't have been on his phone once the movie started anyways. If he was that heated then get a refund and try again another day. If he is that unstable then he should have just stayed home with netflix and be a cranky old nut in private where nobody gets hurt.
    Last edited by Creature Feature; 01-14-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Are you reading that it was texting during the previews??

The movie didn't start. You're kinda a huge dick if you're playing theater gustapo during the previews.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Now featuring creatures. Creature Feature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Are you reading that it was texting during the previews??

The movie didn't start. You're kinda a huge dick if you're playing theater gustapo during the previews.
    Yeah, I added in that part a second ago. I'm sure the dad would have been done after previews and all would have been right with the world. Still could have been handled better. I get that it's sad, the shooter is overly sensitive idiot, and maybe Im a dick for speaking ill of the dead but had this guy just been punched in the face instead of shot nobody would be blaming the old man at all.

Because being rude is a shitty thing to do. Not something deserving to be shot over but its still rude.

Edit: And the more i think about it, Im kind of amazed someone would be that pissed off during preview texting.
    Last edited by Creature Feature; 01-14-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Waiting for an Alzheimer's defense

So did he shoot at the man's wife too? The article says she was injured trying to save her husband.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

My oldest kid knows him. She worked with him at Skye powersports.

There was a call in on a radio show this morning from a friend of his.
    He said she lost a finger, and had placed her hand on her husbands chest to tell him to sit back down when they were shot.
    He also said that Chad wasn't the type to just eat shit from people, and he could very well have been asshole to the old guy.

I do wonder if the old guy asked politely at first, or if he was a douche from the start. Doesn't matter against the fucked up outcome of the situation.

SYG won't fly on this, unless a witness says Chad actually threatened the guys life, which I think is doubtful.

She put her hand in front of her husband to stop the bullet

Quote Originally Posted by Creature Feature View Post
    Yeah, I added in that part a second ago. I'm sure the dad would have been done after previews and all would have been right with the world. Still could have been handled better. I get that it's sad, the shooter is overly sensitive idiot, and maybe Im a dick for speaking ill of the dead but had this guy just been punched in the face instead of shot nobody would be blaming the old man at all.

Because being rude is a shitty thing to do. Not something deserving to be shot over but its still rude.

Edit: And the more i think about it, Im kind of amazed someone would be that pissed off during preview texting.
    This!

I am the person who gets pissed at phones during movies, and if someone asked me to put my phone away in hte middle of a movie (I would never be that person anyways), I would comply understandably and be embarrassed.

But if some prick got all in my ass about texting my kid during a preview I would tell him to go eat his moms shit.

The fact that people can't go to the movies and/or have an adult confrontation without some dick fuck whipping out his pistol is fucking ridiculous.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

In a dimly lit Florida theater, Curtis Reeves got into an argument with another moviegoer over texting. The two men exchanged words that gradually became more heated and Reeves felt something hit his face.

Reeves, who minutes earlier had gone to seek a manager's help to stop the texting, this time reached into a pocket in his pants for, police say, a pistol.

He later told police he feared the man was going to attack him.

Reeves, a former police officer, pulled a gun and shot once, hitting Chad Oulson in the chest and Oulson's wife, Nicole, in the hand she was using to grab her husband in an attempt to calm things down.

As the victim struggled to breathe and fell onto two other patrons, Reeves sat down. An off-duty deputy five seats over charged toward him and grabbed the gun, which had jammed.

Chad Oulson died later at a hospital. His wife's wound was considered non-life threatening.

The shooter's son -- an off-duty Tampa police officer -- was just arriving at theater 10. He had been delayed to his date with his father and his mother, and he had no idea his dad had just killed another man.

On Tuesday, Curtis Reeves, 71, made his first appearance in court for a charge of second-degree murder. Reeves' attorney, Richard Escobar, tried to persuade Circuit Judge Lynn Tepper that the former police officer was actually the victim in the incident and that Oulson was the "aggressor."

Police said despite Reeves' claim that he was in fear of his safety, this was not a case for Florida's "stand your ground" defense.

"Working with the state attorney's office it was determined that stand-your-ground does not fly here in this case," Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said.

Authorities said a preliminary investigation had determined that there was no physical contact during the incident Monday afternoon at a theater in the Tampa suburb of Wesley Chapel. It was popcorn, thrown by Oulson, 43, that struck Reeves.

Sgt. Steve Greiner, the first Pasco County deputy to encounter Reeves, said the suspect was very calm as he sat in his chair. He had an almost distant stare toward the screen, Greiner said.

Reeves also stared silently into a closed-circuit camera Tuesday, listening to Escobar tell Tepper why his client should be granted bail.

Tepper said there was no evidence to support the claim that the shooter was a victim, according to a probable cause affidavit. She denied bond and ruled that Reeves should face the second-degree murder charge.

The judge addressed Reeves and asked him if he understood what had happened and that he was facing life in prison; Reeves said he did. Reeves' attorney then said that he and his client would speak in private, indicating that the former officer should not say anything in court.

Reeves wore a bullet-resistant vest. Nocco said it was for the defendant's safety.

An argument over texting, then a shot

The shooting happened Monday afternoon at the Grove 16 theater about 1:25 p.m. ET, just before an afternoon showing of "Lone Survivor," a film about a Navy SEAL mission.

Reeves was with his wife and sat behind Oulson and his wife, authorities said. Chad Oulson was using his cell phone and Reeves told him to put it away, according to police and witnesses.

The two men began to argue and Reeves walked out of the auditorium. Police said Reeves was going to complain to a theater employee.

When Reeves returned, witnesses and authorities said that Oulson asked him if he had gone to tell on him for texting. Oulson reportedly said, in effect: I was just sending a message to my young daughter.

Police said Tuesday that Oulson was texting the daughter's babysitter.

Charles Cummings and his adult son were two seats away. Cummings said that when Reeves returned to the theater, there was no manager with him.

"He came back very irritated," Cummings recalled.

Voices were raised. Oulson threw a bag of popcorn at Reeves, police said. Then, the former police officer took out a .380 semi-automatic handgun and shot Oulson.

As Oulson staggered and fell, "He said, 'I can't believe I got shot,'" the younger Cummings recounted. "Blood started coming out of his mouth. I was trying to hold him up. He just fell down."

"I can't believe people would bring a pistol to a movie," said the elder Cummings, a Vietnam War veteran who was celebrating his birthday by spending the afternoon with his son.

Chaos in a theater

During Reeves' first appearance Tuesday, his attorney argued that Oulson was the "aggressor."

"It may or may not have been popcorn," Judge Tepper said, but an unknown object "does not equal" taking out a gun.

Witnesses told police they saw no punches being thrown during the incident, according to the report.

There were about 25 people in the movie theater. After the shooting, some tried to help Oulson and to make sure no other people were hurt.

An off-duty deputy sheriff from Sumter County rushed over to make sure no more shots were fired and that the shooter was not going to get up.

One of two nurses in the audience ran to Oulson's side and performed CPR until paramedics arrived. An autopsy will be conducted Tuesday.

A sensational crime that strikes many chords

A former cop and security worker

Reeves retired in 1993 as a captain with the police department in nearby Tampa. He also was director of security at Busch Gardens until 2005, a spokesman told CNN. Police told CNN that Reeves was instrumental in establishing the police department's first tactical response team.

Records released by the department indicate that he was often praised for his work ethic and leadership. Negative remarks were rare, such as a 1979 evaluation that said he had shown a temper when dealing with supervisors.

After court Tuesday, reporters circled Escobar as he headed to his car.

Escobar said that Reeves has "great credentials" and called him a "great man."

"Certain circumstances happened in that theater," the attorney said, and those details would come out at trial, he said.

"Mr. Reeves is certainly heartbroken," that someone lost their life, the lawyer said.

A neighbor told Bay News 9 that Reeves is a nice guy.

"Always smiling. I've never seen him angry," Bill Costas said. "If I needed help with something, he was always there."

Who was the texting dad?

Chad Oulson was a former U.S. Navy petty officer, serving from 1990 to 1997, according to spokeswoman Lt. Richlyn Neal.

Tuesday morning, a woman who said she was Oulson's sister answered the door at his home in the Tampa suburb of Land O' Lakes, the Tampa Tribune reported.

She told a reporter that the family is in shock and declined to comment.

In the home's garage, the Tribune reporter said, a motocross motorcycle was on a stand next to a gold pickup truck and a child's wagon.

"He loved his job, loved his family, loved motocross, loved the motorcycle world," friend Joseph Detrapani told the newspaper. "He grew up riding motocross and loved to keep doing it, even at his age of 43, he's still out there every weekend riding."

Rules for the theater

Meanwhile, Cobb Theatres, which operates the Grove complex, released a statement: "This was an isolated altercation between two guests that escalated unexpectedly. The safety, security and comfort of our guests and team members are always our top priorities, and we are truly heartbroken by this incident."

A list of prohibited items and behavior in their theaters is on the theater website. On the list: no cell phone use, including texting, in the theater auditorium. And no weapons allowed.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/14/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Is this guy really using the SYG defense? Really?

I agree with Berm, if this older guy was so upset by Chad's texting he should have gotten up and switched seats.

Is he trying to say he thought the guy was going to shoot him first
    Last edited by Angiebla; 01-14-2014 at 06:04 PM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Was it so dark he thought he was shooting a black dude? It's illegal to kill white people, genius.

And yea, if someone is SO our there that they shot someone over texting, I can guarantee he didn't ask him to stop texting in a calm and respectful manner.

If that old bastard yelled at me, I'd have told him to go fuck himself. But I wouldn't stick around if he went out to his car.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

As a part of his sentence, the shooter should be made to sit with the little 3 yr old girl & explain to her why she now has to grow up without her daddy. Senseless Shit.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    There's something seriously wrong with the current mentality of this country. There was a time when whether or not this killing was justified in ANY sense of the word didn't even exist. Now it's gotten so ridiculous that SYG was even entertained as a defense at all. And nobody is surprised that it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Sea2Sky View Post
    As a part of his sentence, the shooter should be made to sit with the little 3 yr old girl & explain to her why she now has to grow up without her daddy. Senseless Shit.
    He won't be sentenced. He's a former cop. He'll be aquitted of his bullshit 2nd degree murder charge.

I want to know if there was video footage of him leaving the theater room, and what he did. Did he talk to management? Did he go outside? Did he go in the bathroom?

You cannot control people, places or things. All those credentials are gone to hell now bc of something so stupid.

I got the phone call that something happened to my dad when we just sat down in a theater. I'm glad there wasn't a selfish asshole there to shoot me because the stars lined up that I would get that call while they were trying to watch some fucking previews and I ruined it for them on purpose. Poor fucking you. I hate people.

I'm not wearing any pants
    Cell phones should be banned in movie theaters. There should be a sign when you go to a movie that there will be no cell phone usage during previews AND during the movie. It's annoying and fucking rude as hell.

They usually do have signs and do an ad before the previews even start. My phone was on vibrate and I saw it lit while getting some napkins out of my purse. Its rude as fuck. It reminds me of that scary movie spoof where the girl is all loud and rude during the movie and talking on her phone. The 'scream' guy takes too long to stab her so everyone starts taking turns stabbing her with his knifel

I don't even know how someone TEXTING during the PREVIEWS of a movie blips someone's radar as rude or offensive. I mean, come on. Can we get some Xanax for this fucker over here? God. Chill.the.fuck.OUT.

(The above was meant toward the perpetrator, not the people on this thread who would be offended by the same thing. But yeah.)

AS i said, even texting is rude..the light lights up , it's annoying.......petty to some but not to others...people are there to watch a movie ..not see people texting and talking on the phone. Like beli said, rude as fuck. Same as in the grocery store and people are in line talking on their phones while checking out....uhhh i can't stand that shit.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Before the movie starts seems like when it's time to make those last texts.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

For sure.

Thread Information