Thread: Chicago Sun-Times

the color nine

Chicago Sun-Times

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/315641,CST-NWS-roep28.article

Where do MySpace users end up when they die? MyDeathSpace

March 28, 2007
    BY RICHARD ROEPER Sun-Times Columnist
    At first blush, the MySpace profile for the girl known as LaCy is much like tens of millions of other such pages. LaCy is one Lacy Seitz, 18, of Mansfield, Texas.

Her funky-punctuation motto: "girls jUst WannA hAve fUn."

Her listed interests include "hanging out with my friends, shopping, beach, blockbuster nights, gettin' crazzzy, road trips . . ."

Favorite movies: "10 Things I Hate About You," "Sweet Home Alabama," "Pretty Woman" -- "chick flicks are def my fav as for most girls lol . . . but i love everything!"

LaCy says "Harry Potter is the greatest book in the world." Under the "Heroes" category, she writes:

"I would have to say my mother, she's the most amazing person to me. . . . I love her so much she will always be in my heart!"

The profile page includes numerous pictures of the blond, smiling girl and her friends, and all sorts of personal information, from her astrological sign to her height and body type to the fact that she'd like to have children "someday."

This is the way it works with MySpace. It's essentially a high school yearbook and then some for the entire world. You can learn more about a person by viewing his/her MySpace profile than you'd learn by attending class or working with someone for a year.

MySpace goodbyes
    Of course, LaCy has lots of friends, real and virtual, on her page. There are more than 130 comments from her friends -- and it's only when you read the comments that you realize what has happened to LaCy.

"We will all be there to say goodbye to you today but not forever as you know," writes Candice.

(Note: All of the comments noted here were posted last week.)

"Hey baby, so tomorrow I get to see you. I'm a little scared but I know you'll be there with us all," writes another friend.

"I can't believe tomorrow is when I have to say bye to you. Don't worry though, because it's not forever."

"Tomorrow is going to be hard for everyone but we all need it. ... Love you Lacy."

"I just can't believe you're gone. It was only yesterday that we were in 8th grade meeting each other for the first time. You could always make everyone smile, girl we love you and we miss you so much. R.I.P."

"Your cousin just told me it's going to be a closed casket tomorrow. I wanted to see your beautiful face one more time but I guess it will be a little easier since I won't have to see you like that. I love you babygirl with all my heart!"

LaCy's friends are talking to a young woman who is no longer with us.

This is a fairly commonplace thing on MySpace. It would be impossible for MySpace employees to monitor some 100 million pages and take down profiles of those who have died -- so unless one's family contacts MySpace and requests that a page come down, your page will live on after you're gone.

So how does a writer in Chicago find out about the death of a teenager in Texas?

By perusing MyDeathSpace.com.

A link to the recently deceased
    It's a morbidly fascinating site: MyDeath Space.com, a catalog of recently deceased MySpace users. (The site is not affiliated with MySpace.)

The matter-of-fact headlines are stunning because the victims are so young, and the causes of death so myriad.

From recent editions of MyDeathSpace:

"Parisa Biglari (18) and another teen burned to death when their SUV collided head-on with a truck"

"Marcellus Haley (18) was shot to death because he asked out the wrong girl"

"Gregory Jacobs (18) was killed in a skiing accident when he struck his head"

"Molly Fitzgerald (14) was found unconscious at the bottom of a 4-foot-deep, above-ground pool"

"Wade Steffey (19) was electrocuted in a high-voltage utility room after a frat party"

"John Bowden (16) collapsed and died after running 3 miles at a soccer camp"

"Adrian Masalko (17) died after a battle with cancer"

"Shelby Armstrong (16) drowned in her bathtub after 'dusting' "

"Savannah Zimmerman (18) died in a house fire while trying to save her ailing grandfather"

"Lacy Seitz (18) was thrown from an SUV"

It's a big world. Most teenagers like to party a bit, but they emerge unscathed and reach old age. Most teenagers don't get fatal diseases or collapse suddenly. Most teenagers are lucky enough to avoid serious accidents.

Still, if you're the parent of a teenager, there must be days when it takes all your strength to stop yourself from wrapping your kid in a five-minute hug before she walks out the door.

Re: Chicago Sun-Times

Oh fun!!

But didn't the article seem to end abruptly?

Im the one that submitted Lacy! IM FAMOUS
    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

[quote author=jesserz44 link=topic=6112.msg259879#msg259879 date=1175261548]
    Oh fun!!

But didn't the article seem to end abruptly?
    [/quote]

Agreed! It doesn't exactly go very in depth about MDS. If I didn't know about MDS I would definitely go check it out. This article leaves you wanting more info.

the color nine

I thought it was interesting that Richard Roeper seemed to have given MDS ....four and a half popcorns. :lol:

Very odd article.  Exactly what was the point he was trying to make?  It's weird how it just quickly ends with "hug your kids today."  :?

:lol: Funny, that's the exact article that got me to join you guys
    If Only Closed Minds Came With Closed Mouths...<br />

the color nine

[quote author=Trish A Lish link=topic=6112.msg263653#msg263653 date=1175451054]
    [/quote]

Welcome to MDS!

[quote author=Trish A Lish link=topic=6112.msg263653#msg263653 date=1175451054]
    [/quote]

Nice to meet you, new member! Welcome!
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

haha they probably wrote like that so people are like wtf and go look at it.

I ran across this article today while googling Lacy, and at least it doesn't say bad stuff about MDS.

I liked this article a lot. I agree in that it makes ppl want to come visit the site.

I wonder how Roepert came across MDS in the first place?&nbsp;

I liked this article, too.&nbsp; Makes the reader want to come check it out and it shows off a message of what I consider to be the best thing about MDS: don't take life for granted.

[quote author=[Pandora] link=topic=6112.msg263696#msg263696 date=1175454902]
    haha they probably wrote like that so people are like wtf and go look at it.
    [/quote]

Haha, that was my exact thought process
    If Only Closed Minds Came With Closed Mouths...<br />

Thread Information