Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aura Garcia (43) crushed by drawbridge on New Years Eve

Aura Garcia (43) crushed by drawbridge on New Years Eve

A mother from Boston was crushed to death by a drawbridge after an operator accidentally closed it on top of her on Tuesday.

Aura Garcia, 43, was crossing the Meridian Street Bridge in East Boston on foot around noon, when the operator raised a bridge for a boat--trapping her between two plates, The Boston Globe reports.

Garcia grabbed a side of the bridge and screamed but the bridge closed on top of her, causing head trauma. She was pronounced dead at the scene, the paper reports.

"I couldn't see her, but I could hear her," said witness Waldina Garcia, who is not related to the victim. "She was screaming and screaming and screaming," she added. Waldina spotted lights flashing and heard a loud foghorn, meant to warn passers-by the bridge was opening. It's not clear if the victim started crossing the bridge after the alarm went off.

The victim's screams lasted about a minute, witnesses said.

The operator told cops he did not see the victim on the bridge, according to the paper. He was later taken to the hospital for an evaluation, officials said.

Garcia is a mother of two with a three-year-old and a 15-year-old.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/01/mother-...on-drawbridge/
    Last edited by *crickets*; 01-01-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Sad. RIP Aura.

I know her family's crushed.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Wtf? Fuck bridges. This just confirms my suspicions that they are evil.

RIP Aura.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

Death by drawbridge.

That sounds so menacing.....

Godspeed, Aura.

I hope the operator will be okay.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Omg. That is what nightmares are made of. Poor, poor lady. That had to be the most terrifying way to die.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Sad. RIP Aura.

I know her family's crushed.
    Not as much as she is.

I'm going to hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkerDuckie View Post
    Not as much as she is.

I'm going to hell.
    I'll be there with you.

Quote Originally Posted by u2addict View Post
    Death by drawbridge.

That sounds so menacing.....

Godspeed, Aura.

I hope the operator will be okay.

I agree. Holy Shit. The operator should have gone out to make sure lowering the bridge was the right call though, don't ya think?

I thought I heard the operator was being asked for drug/alcohol test, but i can't seem to actually read that anywhere. Just thought i would post an article i read earlier. At the link they show the bridge and Aura.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...EVP/story.html

She never made it across the span. Authorities said she was killed after the bridge started to rise while she was on it. As she screamed for help, the bridge operator began to lower it again. But by then Garcia had fallen, and the descending bridge came down on top of her, crushing her.

Mourners Wednesday placed teddy bears, flowers, and candles at the bridge. Some, weeping inconsolably, left notes: “Rest in Paradise!!!” read one. “You will be missed,’’ said another.

Garcia’s death on New Year’s Eve has left her family confounded and grief stricken — and demanding answers.

At the bridge in bitter cold Wednesday, her 16-year-old daughter, Nancy Garcia, wept. “Mama! Mama! Mama!,’’ she moaned into the shoulders of her childhood friend Stephanie Ruiz, as they stood at a makeshift memorial on the bridge.

Ruiz held her up, hushed her, and wiped her tears. Afterwards, Ruiz voiced what so many in East Boston have been asking:

“How could this happen? How could he not see her?” Ruiz said of the bridge operator.

Police said the bridge operator has been cooperating with authorities, and city officials are examining what kind of warnings are issued to pedestrians before the bridge is raised. Police homicide detectives also plan to review surveillance video on the bridge in hopes of determining exactly how the tragedy occurred.

She was going to an appointment at Massachusetts General Hospital and had planned to return home about 2 p.m., so she and her children could go to Roxbury to mark the new year with relatives, her daughter said.

Garcia had a disability, was overweight and walked slowly, so she may have been taking her time to cross the bridge, friends and family said.

“She used to walk slowly because she didn’t like people rushing her,’’ Ruiz said.

At some point along the way, the bridge began to rise to allow a boat to pass.

A woman on the Chelsea side of the bridge at the time of the accident said she heard a loud foghorn and saw blinking lights before the bridge began to open and then heard frantic screams. Police said Garcia clung to the bridge as it rose and dangled over the cold water below. Fire officials said that at some point she fell to a concrete structure near the base of the bridge.

“I’m never going to see my mother again,’’ said Nancy Garcia. “I just want to know what truly happened. If there are cameras, I want to know what’s on them. It’s sad that this happened. And the year has just started.”

On Wednesday, a somber stream of friends of relatives mourned Aura Garcia. Outside the massive apartment complex where she lived, family members asked for privacy. A sister in Roxbury reached by phone sobbed.

By the bridge, a woman who said she was a close, long-time friend of Aura Garcia’s struggled for words.

“She was my friend,’’ she said, with tears welling.

Many who recalled Garcia, said she was a devoted mother, a trusted friend, a kind-hearted person.

“She was a beautiful woman — beautiful,’’ said David Agosto, of East Boston, who said his wife was a close friend of Garcia. “She was always there for her kids. She was more than a friend.”

Ruiz, 19, said she lived with Garcia and her family and that Garcia practically raised her.

“She was not like an aunt to me, she was like my mother,’’ Ruiz said.

Nancy Garcia said her mother was born in Guatemala and married her father, Daniel, in Puerto Rico, where he is from. The couple also had a son, Daniel, now 4.

Eventually Garcia and Daniel separated, though he lives nearby.

Sitting at the dining table of her family’s apartment Tuesday morning, the East Boston High School student pulled out her cellphone and scanned photos of her mother.

“She was beautiful to me,’’ she said.

She recalled the two sitting together at the table eating Chinese food on Monday. The next morning, her mother came into Nancy’s room to borrow a hairbrush. Groggy from sleep, the daughter said she only saw the back of her mother’s head as she was leaving the room.

“I said, ‘Mommy, close the door. I’m tired,’’ recalled Nancy. “The only thing I heard after that was the door closing.”

That's sad. :( I will never walk across a bridge, nevertheless a drawbridge. I'm so scary.

I saw The Bridge, and I was amazed at how low the railing is on the Golden Gate Bridge. I was also amazed at how people just walked up and down it.....it's so high. I would think it would be haunted by the ghost of those that jumped.

On topic? RIP Nancy.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    That's sad. :( I will never walk across a bridge, nevertheless a drawbridge. I'm so scary.

I saw The Bridge, and I was amazed at how low the railing is on the Golden Gate Bridge. I was also amazed at how people just walked up and down it.....it's so high. I would think it would be haunted by the ghost of those that jumped.

On topic? RIP Nancy.
    No such thing as ghosts, so it's not an issue.

This thing didn't have the usual bells and whistles when it got activated? This is like when someone tries to cross train tracks even after the gate goes down and lights start flashing.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    No such thing as ghosts, so it's not an issue.

This thing didn't have the usual bells and whistles when it got activated? This is like when someone tries to cross train tracks even after the gate goes down and lights start flashing.
    Ghosts are real. *glasses*

And they haven't said exactly what kind of warnings there are. "city officials are examining what kind of warnings are issued to pedestrians before the bridge is raised".

There is a drawbridge in my neighborhood that almost never opens and when it does it does not have a crazy alert system. Also, since she walked slow, maybe she was already on the bridge when they lowered the rails?

Reason #354 why I hate bridges. *shudder* poor woman. I'm guessing he didn't give her enough time to get off the bridge. :(
    Jenn

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Circe View Post
    Ghosts are real. *glasses*

And they haven't said exactly what kind of warnings there are. "city officials are examining what kind of warnings are issued to pedestrians before the bridge is raised".

There is a drawbridge in my neighborhood that almost never opens and when it does it does not have a crazy alert system. Also, since she walked slow, maybe she was already on the bridge when they lowered the rails?
    I've figured out the codes for the emoticons since it doesn't allow phones to do it either. You just put a : then the word (glasses) and then as other : No spaces between. :this:

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    *Garcia had a disability, was overweight and walked slowly, so she may have been taking her time to cross the bridge, friends and family said.

“She used to walk slowly because she didn’t like people rushing her,’’ Ruiz said*

uh. kinda sounds like she brought this shit on herself a bit. disabled, overweight, walking slowly to spite people who wanted her to go faster.....and all while crossing a drawbridge....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

It did strike me as odd. I mean how many times dowe hear about people being killed by Drawbridge? Let me think....ummmmm.... NEVER.

There are bells and whistles and horns and signals aplenty going off before they lift it. And I'm sure they warn people WAY ahead of time. It's not like they sound the alarm and you better run because 5 seconds later it will lift.

I think this is a case of her starting to cross after the alarm went off and saying "fuck it...they'll wait for me ". And if not and she's really THAT slow? One word. Hoveround.

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    *Garcia had a disability, was overweight and walked slowly, so she may have been taking her time to cross the bridge, friends and family said.

“She used to walk slowly because she didn’t like people rushing her,’’ Ruiz said*

uh. kinda sounds like she brought this shit on herself a bit. disabled, overweight, walking slowly to spite people who wanted her to go faster.....and all while crossing a drawbridge....
    Tsk Tsk Tsk, someone will give you bad rep for talking ill of they dead...or as they told me..."nice words there, hope the family doesn't read your comments". I wish I knew who it was. I didn't think I was mean. :(

If it will make the person feel better, I made all of my family and friends to talk about my death if it's not ordinary. So, if I had got killed by a drawbridge, I hope my family would submit, and I really hope you guys will talk about my death, and if it includes a few jokes....what do I care I'm dead?

I'm sorry Garcia family if I offended. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    It did strike me as odd. I mean how many times dowe hear about people being killed by Drawbridge? Let me think....ummmmm.... NEVER.

There are bells and whistles and horns and signals aplenty going off before they lift it. And I'm sure they warn people WAY ahead of time. It's not like they sound the alarm and you better run because 5 seconds later it will lift.

[b]I think this is a case of her starting to cross after the alarm went off and saying "fuck it...they'll wait for me ". And if not and she's really THAT slow?
    I don't think there was any "fuck it," but it's possible that she she started to cross before the alarms went off. I believe she was really that slow. She was VERY large:

I know jack about drawbridges, so here's the Taiwanese animated version of the event:

So does this mean she was EXACTLY halfway through when it started to lift? Because it seems like you would kinda roll down the incline rather than fall between the two plates?

Her poor family. R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

I don't think that animation is what happened. If you see the pictures of the crime scene, it's at the beginning of the bridge. I think you're right songbirdsong, she just grabbed the railing and when she lost her grip she fell down the bridge into the gap that appears when it's open and got crushed when the gap closed again. She would have to climb over the edge to hang on the bridge like they show in the video. I also don't really believe that a woman with her posture could hang down a bridge that long, holding herself with just her hands.

Maybe the horn scared the crap out of her and, thinking she could never make it, she immediately grabbed the railing, standing in a spot invisible to the operator.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...lVM/story.html

The training requires that bridge operators follow a series of procedures ? 20 steps to ensure the bridge is cleared of pedestrians and vehicles before it is raised. There are a host of other steps guiding the closing of the bridge, anticipating mechanical problems during opening and closing, and troubleshooting.

Among the guidelines for raising the bridge is one stating the operator should push the ?zoom? button on cameras to get a close view of traffic at the gates, visually check for vehicular and pedestrian traffic, and to again check approaching pedestrian and vehicular traffic.

If a driver or pedestrian refuses to move after the alarm sounds indicating the bridge is opening, the drawbridge tender is required to call police to remove them, Massaro said.

The bridge operators generally work in pairs in eight-hour shifts. In addition, they do basic maintenance on the structure, Massaro added.
    I had no idea there was that much of a procedure. Hmm.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    "I'm getting something here. I'm contacting the spirit world. They're telling me.....There's something flat about your aura."
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    "I'm getting something here. I'm contacting the spirit world. They're telling me.....There's something flat about your aura."

well, fuck me dead.....moves to the *go to hell line*.......

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

"The operator at the controls of the Meridian Street drawbridge at the time of a grisly fatal accident Tuesday has an excellent record of following detailed standard safety protocols when raising the bridge, a city official said Thursday.“He’s a good employee,” said Joanne Massaro, commissioner of the city’s Public Works Department, which runs the bridge. “He’s had no incidents.’’“I think he did all he thought he could do to make sure it was a safe opening,” she said.The operator, Louis Alfieri Jr., a 34-year employee of the city, has consistently adhered to a 20-step procedure that includes activating a warning horn and traffic lights and conducting visual checks for vehicles and pedestrians.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...lVM/story.html

I feel really bad for her Family. But I really get the feeling that this Woman started crossing when she shouldn't have. This guy has been doing this for years with a clean record. She, on the other hand, has people saying "She doesn't like being rushed " right after the accident. It's quite possible that he did the necessary checks and she proceeded after those checks were done. Just like someone trying to beat a train. Just my opinion.

Death by Drawbridge

I bet the family is crying a river....hope they can build a bridge and get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information