Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nelson Mandela (95) died in South Africa

Nelson Mandela (95) died in South Africa

http://m.smh.com.au/world/nelson-man...206-hv4mb.html

I'm phone posting so could someone pretty please post a photo for the fb post?

Johannesburg: South African President Jacob Zuma has confirmed the news that Nelson Mandela has died, aged 95.
    An emotional Mr Zuma broke the news to the nation during a live press conference that began about 8.45am AEDT.
    "Our thoughts and prayers are with the Mandela family,"
    "To them we owe a debt of gratitude. They have sacrificed much and endured much so that our people could be free.
    "Our thoughts are with the millions of people across the world who embraced him.
    "This is the moment of our deepest sorrow our nation has lost its greatest son."
    Mr Zuma said Mandela would be farewelled at a state funeral and that the nation's flags would fly at half mast until the funeral.
    He also called for South Africans to unite and to farewell Mandela in a manner fitting of his legacy.
    "Fellow South Africans, Nelson Mandela brought us together and it is together that we will bid him farewell.
    "As we gather to pay our last respect, let us conduct ourselves with the dignity and respect that Mandiba personified.
    "Be mindful of his wishes and the wishes of his children.
    "May his soul rest in place, God Bless South Africa. '

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    An amazing Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Another article with a photo (I'm also mobile):

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...5?sf20284315=1

earlier this year i thought he had died for several days. i listen to NPR all day, and i SWEAR they announced his death. and now i'm sad all over again. i'll have to go read more about him and read some of the beautiful, articulate, meaningful things he said about injustice, poverty, slavery. if i find something particularly interesting i'll post it.

i truly hope that people are still inspired in his memory. i believe that he will be remembered well through the kindness and social/socio-economic activism of people for many, many years to come.

Death is something inevitable. When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace. I believe I have made that effort and that is, therefore, why I will sleep for the eternity.- nelson mandela

http://www.nelsonmandela.org/p90/index.html
    Last edited by emmieslost; 12-05-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Mr. Mandela you showed the world the power of many things, some of the most important of which were resilience, and forgiveness. I pray you rest in peace. You've certainly earned it.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

I know He was elderly and ill. ...... but what a sad day. :(

R.i.p. Mr. Mandela

Glad he passed hopefully peacefully and didn't go the Ariel Sharon route.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Some of you are young enough you only "know" the elder statesman. He wasn't always thus.
    http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/nelson-ma...istory-radical
    The point of remembering all this is not mere point-scoring. It is to remember that sometimes the radicals are correct, that in the heat of the moment, movements for justice can be easily caricatured by those with authority as threats to public safety, and those seeking basic rights and dignity as monstrous villains. And then after the radicals win, we try to make them safe and useless to future radicals by pretending our beloved secular saints were never radical at all.

It?s tempting to pretend we?ve all always agreed about Mandela, or about racial equality, or about South African apartheid. It would avoid awkwardness or hostility to join together in mutual admiration and mourning for a figure who was indispensible in so many senses of the word, without recalling those who stood against him.

Mandela believed in forgiveness, but he also believed in truth and reconciliation. And the truth is that many self-proclaimed champions of individual freedom in the United States refused to champion the individual freedom of black people in South Africa and at home.

We should never forget that people did, in fact, hate Nelson Mandela and opposed the cause he gave his life to. The opponents only grew silent after Mandela and his movement won. As Weigel notes, it would be very strange to pretend that Mandela was somehow above politics, when politics was the means by which he achieved so much, became so admired, and will be so missed.

Honoring Mandela Thursday, President Barack Obama said, ?We will not likely see the likes of Nelson Mandela again.? But if we do, chances are many of us will deride them as a villain long before we recognize them as a hero.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

'Fake' sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela memorial provokes anger

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/24191250...provokes-anger

Deaf people watching the Nelson Mandela memorial were bemused and shocked by a "fake" sign language interpreter on stage whose gestures were unintelligible, activists said Wednesday.

The interpreter was watched by millions as he stood beside speakers at the event including President Barack Obama.

Hundreds of people took to social media to express their anger at the interpreter's gestures, and several deaf groups confirmed his signing did not reflect the comments being made to honor the anti-apartheid icon.

Paul Breckell, chief executive of the U.K.-based charity Action on Hearing Loss, told NBC News: "We are shocked by the quality of sign language interpretation at Nelson Mandela's memorial -- if it could be called interpretation at all."

He added that "the limited number of signs, the amount of repetition, lack of facial expressions and huge gaps in translation meant that deaf or hard of hearing people across the world were completely excluded from one of the biggest events in recent history."

Among the first to express their dissatisfaction was Wilma Newhoudt-Druchen, the first deaf woman to be elected to the South African parliament, who tweeted that the signing was "rubbish," adding: "He cannot sign. Please get him off."

She took to the social media site several times during the day.

David Buxton, chief executive of the British Deaf Association, said in an email that "the gentleman is a total fake."

"He has no real clue about sign language and has obviously upset the deaf community of South Africa as we have received hundreds of angry messages via Facebook and Twitter," said Buxton, who was watching the ceremony with his South African-born wife.

Buxton called on the South African authorities to "name and shame that gentleman." He said the same interpreter had provided sign language for South African President Jacob Zuma's speech at a military event last year.

Braam Jordaan, a deaf South African citizen and board member of the World Federation of the Deaf Youth Section, explained why it had been so clear to sign language users that the interpretation was not correct.

He told the Australian news website SBS: "The structure of his hand, facial expressions and the body movements did not follow what the speaker was saying."

South African sign language interpreter Francois Deysel tweeted during the ceremony that the interpreter was "making a mockery of our profession."

Bruno Druchen, the national director of the Deaf Federation of South Africa, told The Associated Press that the interpreter on stage was a "fake."

The man "was moving his hands around but there was no meaning in what he used his hands for," Druchen added.

South African sign language covers all of the country's 11 official languages, according to the federation. It wasn't immediately clear if the unidentified man was using a different method to communicate.

Nicole Du Toit, an official sign language interpreter who also watched the broadcast, told The Associated Press that the man on stage purporting to sign was an embarrassment.

"It was horrible, an absolute circus, really really bad," she said. "Only he can understand those gestures."

Jackson Mthembu, a spokesman for the ruling African National Congress, said the interpreter was organized by the South African government.

A government spokeswoman was not able to immediately comment, but said a statement was being prepared for later in the day.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...al-a-fake.html

i was hoping it wasn't true, but it seems it is. how does something like this even happen? who volunteers to be that guy at nelson mandela's funeral? damn. disrespect to the man and his family and to the entire deaf community. maybe this will over shadow obama's selfies.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...al-a-fake.html

i was hoping it wasn't true, but it seems it is. how does something like this even happen? who volunteers to be that guy at nelson mandela's funeral? damn. disrespect to the man and his family and to the entire deaf community. maybe this will over shadow obama's selfies.
    Members of the deaf community around the world took to social media to express their anger. NBC's Alexander Smith wrote that the first deaf woman elected to the South African Parliament, Wilma Newhoudt-Druchen tweeted, "Shame on this male so called interpreter on the stage. What is he signing? He knows that the deaf cannot vocally boo him off. Shame on him!"

Ron was the best part, hands down.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    What a disgrace. What did the guy signing think was going to happen?! "Well, I'll just flail my hands around. Nobody will notice...... "
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Curse you OBAMA!
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Curse you OBAMA!
    Shaking hands with a Commie and taking selfies!?! They should impeach him, now Aren't those things illegal!!>

No worries guys, he was just hallucinating angels in the stadium while he was "signing"

JOHANNESBURG -- The man accused of faking sign interpretation next to world leaders at Nelson Mandela's memorial has told The Associated Press that he has schizophrenia, had visions of angels coming into the stadium and was trying not to panic because there were "armed policemen around me." Thamsanqa Jantjie also said he has been violent in the past.

Jantjie, who stood gesticulating three-feet (1 meter) from U.S. President Barack Obama and others who spoke at the ceremony that was broadcast around the world, insists he was doing proper sign-language interpretation of the speeches of world leaders for the deaf correctly.

He also apologized Thursday for his performance that has received unanimous condemnation from numerous sign-language experts who said he had been merely signing gibberish.

Is Ashton Kutcher under there?

My husband read an article that the "interpreter" had been used before and also pretended to sign. I will try to find a reference.
    But honestly, you'd think it would have come up before.

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    My husband read an article that the "interpreter" had been used before and also pretended to sign. I will try to find a reference.
    But honestly, you'd think it would have come up before.
    Oddly enough, deaf people remained quiet.

With an outrage like this, you'd think the deaf and mute would speak out.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Am I the only one who thought that taking selfies at this amazing man's funeral was a little wtf? I mean, I know it really was just a split second in time when it occurred, but I feel like it kind of highlights how disconnected we've become as a society. We side eye people all the time for taking pics at funerals; pics of the deceased, pics of family posing and smiling at the viewing....why is this different/more acceptable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Thread Information