Thread: John Chakalos (87) found shot to death in home decorated with 6 million light Christmas display

John Chakalos (87) found shot to death in home decorated with 6 million light Christmas display

A man known for his grand 6 million-light Christmas display was found shot and killed in his home on Friday morning.

A family member found John Chakalos, 87, in his home in Windsor, Connecticut, according a Windsor police department press release. The medical examiner's office ruled that Chakalos died of a gunshot wound to the head.

The police are conducting an active homicide investigation, based on the condition of the body when it was found and because police did not recover a weapon at the scene, Windsor police Capt. Tom Lepore said.

Windsor police were first to arrive on scene, and the department called in the Connecticut State Police major crimes squad to assist, Lepore said.

Detectives are working to piece together events in the weeks leading up to Chakalos' death, Lepore said.

Chakalos and his wife Rita, who died a week before Thanksgiving, were known in Chesterfield, New Hampshire, and the surrounding area for their elaborate Christmas display at the home they owned there.

The Christmas exhibition takes up approximately half of the couple's 86-acre property and includes 6 million lights, said Joy Washburn, the property's caretaker.

Washburn, who has known the Chakalos family for 30 years and worked for them for 25, said she begins working on the display in the second week of August. The display, which has lit up Chesterfield off and on for the past 10 years, is usually completed and ready by Thanksgiving.

For the past five years, the family has invited the public to drive through the estate and requested visitors donate money or nonperishable food for Joan's Food Pantry.

"Not only do they warm the heart of thousands of people who come through, they warm the hearts of hundreds of people in the community who benefit from food and cash donations," said Val Starbuck, a Joan's Food Pantry volunteer.

Visitors come from as far as an hour away to view the Christmas display, Starbuck said. The donations from the display have typically been enough to keep the small pantry filled from January through April, generally the hardest months for people to heat their homes and feed themselves.

The extravagant display includes a lifesize Victorian-style village, complete with houses, a hotel and a general store; a 22-foot Santa to greet visitors when they enter the property; and a Nativity scene, among numerous other decorations.

"There isn't now in the woods a bush or a tree that doesn't get lights on it," Washburn said.

The Christmas display will continue this season, Washburn said, but she did not know if the Chakalos family would continue to light up the neighborhood in the future.

CNN's attempts to reach Chakalos' family were unsuccessful.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/23/us/con...html?hpt=hp_t5
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    +1 becoming. Apparently someone didn't appreciate his millions of lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

This is so sad! Unlike most things from my childhood, Christmas lights still have an ounce of magic for my jaded old ass self.

His handiwork:

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

god damn... Someone wanted him off the tacky light tour.

Christmas lights that look like Santa threw-up and exploded, give me migraines.
    Last edited by u2addict; 12-25-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

When neighbor's have had enough.

Weird update:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/28...r-killing.html

Vermont man lost at sea was suspect in grandfather's killing

The case of a 22-year-old man rescued at sea after clinging to a raft for a week took a dark turn Wednesday as it was revealed he was a suspect in his grandfather's unsolved murder.

Nathan Carman, the young man rescued in the Atlantic Ocean after floating on a life raft for a week, had been a suspect in the 2013 killing of his grandfather, deepening the mystery surrounding his ordeal and the apparent death of his mother at sea, the Hartford Courant reported Wednesday.

According to a search warrant for Carman's apartment obtained by the newspaper, Carman was the last person known to see his maternal grandfather, John Chakalos, alive on Dec. 20, 2013, when he had dinner with him at his home in Windsor. The 87-year-old Chakalos, a real estate developer, was found dead the next morning. He had been shot three times.

The Courant reported Tuesday that Windsor police submitted an arrest warrant for Carman to a prosecutor, but it was returned unsigned with a request for more information. Carman was not charged.

A will shows John Chakalos left an estate worth more than $42 million to his four adult daughters.

Carman told The Associated Press on Wednesday he had nothing to do with the death of his grandfather and didn't harm his mother.

Carman and his mother, Linda Carman, 54, of Middletown, Conn., left Rhode Island on a fishing trip on Sept. 17. Nathan Carman was rescued in a life raft off the Massachusetts coast on Sunday. His mother remains missing and is presumed dead.

Speaking outside his Vernon, Vt., home Tuesday, Carman said that he'd been through "a huge amount" emotionally, and he thanked the public for its concern and prayers.

Coast Guard officials interviewed Carman when he arrived in Boston on Tuesday. In an audio exchange with the Coast Guard from the Chinese freighter that rescued him 100 miles offshore in the Atlantic, Carman described hearing a 'funny noise" in his boat's engine compartment, seeing water pouring in, then losing sight of his mother before he boarded the raft.

"I was bringing one of the safety bags forward. The boat just dropped out from under my feet," Carman says on the recording. "When I saw the life raft, I did not see my mom. Have you found her?"

After the officer tells Carman they have not found his mother, he describes getting to the life raft.

"I was whistling and calling and looking around, and I didn't see her," he said.

Carman told the Coast Guard his 31-foot aluminum fishing boat sank and he spent seven days in a four-person inflatable life raft. Many questions remain about how the boat sank and what happened to his mother.

Defense attorney Hubert Santos said he's representing Carman. He said Carman "fully cooperated" with the Coast Guard after he was transported to Boston by the freighter that rescued him.

Santos wouldn't reveal what Carman told Coast Guard officials when he was questioned at the base.

"It was a tragic accident," Santos said.

The mother and son had left for their fishing trip from Point Judith, Rhode Island. Vermont authorities said police from South Kingstown, R.I., searched Carman's home in Vernon on Monday. South Kingstown police did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Carman grew up in Middletown, Conn., but bought a home in Vermont two years ago.

Santos declined to comment on that investigation.

Family members have said Carman has Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism.

Sharon Hartstein, a close friend of Linda Carman's, said the mother and son regularly went on fishing trips together.

"That was one of their bonding things," Hartstein said. "When he was available, she tried to make time so she could spend time with him."

Windsor Police Capt. Thomas LePore said Tuesday that the investigation into Chakalos' killing remains open and active. He said police interviewed Chakalos' relatives, including Nathan and Linda Carman, as part of their investigation.

Linda Carman's mother, Rita Chakalos, died of cancer just weeks before her husband was killed. John and Rita Chakalos were philanthropists who split their time between Connecticut and Chesterfield, N.H., where they had an estate known for its massive holiday lights display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

I should have known we had a thread on the Grandfather (or should have at least checked). I started a thread for the missing mother and the story about the boat:
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...live-on-a-raft

Here's another story, including an interview with Nathan Carman since his rescue: http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...927-story.html

I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Oops! I don't know how I missed that, rbw. I was reading the missing persons threads earlier. Derp!

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    Oops! I don't know how I missed that, rbw. I was reading the missing persons threads earlier. Derp!
    haha, no it's good. We were cross-threading! They are two separate cases really, so I think it's good that we have two threads. I think he killed both of them.

I don't exactly know where to post this article since it's about grandpa and mom.

There's no doubt in my mind that he killed his grandpa and mom. The news got ahold of the search warrant from grandpa's case. Grandpa was killed with a .309, Nathan bought a .309 from the gun store, but no longer had it.
    People described him as a ticking time bomb and Murder Boy. A search of his place shows he had IED's and charts on sniper rifles.
    Here's the long article about both cases
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ade-bombs.html

And then you have this.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...qJI/story.html

The April 2011 fight between Linda Carman and her father, at Mount Sinai Rehabilitation Hospital in Hartford, erupted when Chakalos offered a job to Carman?s unemployed husband, Earle Clark Carman, he told police. When Carman refused, Chakalos told the couple he would no longer support them, and said the only reason he had been giving them money was ?because he loves his grandson,? authorities said.

Chakalos said Linda Carman began yelling profanities, blocked the waiting room doorway when he tried to leave the room, then repeatedly punched him in the head and scratched his face and kicked him. When Carman?s husband tried to pull her off, she struck him in the mouth, according to the report.

Linda Carman told police her father had pushed her, triggering the altercation.

?My father is worth $300 million and I want my share,? Linda Carman told police. ?He is not going to cut me off. I need the money.?

Linda Carman was charged with assault on an elderly person and breach of the peace. The charges were dropped in July 2011 after Chakalos said he didn?t want his daughter prosecuted, said Hartford attorney Gerald Klein, who represented Carman.

According to authorities, Carman has Asperger?s syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism, and has faced many struggles. Carman was bullied, his mother told the Hartford Courant in 2011, but had forged a close bond with his horse, Cruise.

Carman was an honor roll student in high school, and volunteered at a soup kitchen, according to workers there.

?All I knew from Linda was that he was a very intelligent kid,? Klein said. ?But with this Asperger?s, he had very limited social skills and was unable to communicate effectively.?

In August 2011, Nathan Carman ran away from his Connecticut home He was discovered four days later in Virginia, carrying two framed photographs of himself and his horse, according to newspaper reports. He had bought a moped, had more than $4,000, and told officials he was on his way to Florida.

Klein said he was contacted again by Linda Carman after Chakalos was shot to death in his Windsor, Conn., home in December 2013. She sought his advice because police had questioned her and her son about the slaying and wanted her to take a polygraph. He said he advised against it, but she took it and passed.

When police began focusing on Nathan Carman as a possible suspect, Klein said, Linda Carman told him her son had been fishing with her at the time of the slaying.

?She was adamant that he couldn?t have been involved because he and the grandfather were very close,? Klein said.

A 2014 affidavit filed in support of a search warrant as part of an investigation into the killing shows that Nathan Carman had dinner with his grandfather the night before his body was found.

Linda Carman told police her son did not meet her hours later as planned, and did not answer his phone, the affidavit said.

Nathan Carman threw away the hard drive of his computer as well as a GPS unit, the affidavit said. He was the only person in the family who knew where his grandfather kept his guns, and when officers searched his home, they found a shotgun and ammunition.

Later, investigators learned that Carman had purchased a rifle in New Hampshire that was the same caliber as the weapon used in the slaying, but he had never told police. He declined to take a polygraph.

The investigation into the 2013 killing is ongoing, and Nathan Carman remains a ?person of interest,? Windsor police captain Thomas LePore said this week.

In Rhode Island, Narragansett Harbormaster Kevin Connors said the case has been the subject of constant speculation.

?I?m sure the writers of ?Law and Order? right now are working on a television show,? he said. ?There?s nobody in town or on the docks that doesn?t have something to say about it.?
    Last edited by bermstalker; 09-30-2016 at 12:50 AM.

This is an article that talks about both case- grandpa and mom

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/loc..._disappearance

Here's the thread on mom's murder
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...=Nathan+Carman

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Wow. He did it. Greedy bastard and his mom want unearned money from Grandpa "just because".

Amazing what the world has come to.

I love having money, don't misunderstand. But if it means losing my morality, my humanity, by "offing" my loved ones then it was never worth it. Ever.

These two obviously never got that lesson.

And you know that bastard probably tossed that rifle in the sea somewhere, just so they couldn't definitively prove their case with ballistic evidence. Maybe they just ought to re-search and look for shell casings.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Wow. He did it. Greedy bastard and his mom want unearned money from Grandpa "just because".

Amazing what the world has come to.

I love having money, don't misunderstand. But if it means losing my morality, my humanity, by "offing" my loved ones then it was never worth it. Ever.

These two obviously never got that lesson.

And you know that bastard probably tossed that rifle in the sea somewhere, just so they couldn't definitively prove their case with ballistic evidence. Maybe they just ought to re-search and look for shell casings.
    Lol. I haven’t heard anything about mom wanting grandpa’s money. It did cross my mind tho.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Lol. I haven?t heard anything about mom wanting grandpa?s money. It did cross my mind tho.
    In the article above or states that she got in to an altercation with her Father when he threatened to cut her off and she started yelling about how he's worth 300 Million and that she needed that money. She actually assaulted him over it and was charged, but he dropped the charges. So, yeah. The whole family seems to have been greedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I don't think the Aspy people i know and love would be able to tell the same story this long unless it were the truth. They are great with an every day routine but forget most everything else. Like you take a walk they will put on there coat. No problem. When it gets hot outside they still put on their coat. It takes weeks of you telling them No coat bring water bottle only! before long you're back to reminding them about the coat! It takes a plan to bring the stuff necessary to kill. Plus the obvious murder clean up, which is not what you do everyday. If they have found no evidence to tie him to the murder , he was not there. They are lousy planners. Great with routine horrible with spontaneity and surprise.

Their not good at lying because they don't care to lie. It doesn't matter what you think of them. They are not big on making friends usually they appear rude they are brutally honest. Wish they would let this kid go.

Another reason they are quick to freak out. When his mom fell off the boat he most likely started screaming and panicking not helping anything. Maybe made it worst. We were swimming in a pool. He is five seven, the water depth is four feet he's wearing a life jacket , he falls off an inter tube and is freaking out. He can't feel the bottom. He's grabbing his life jacket while trying to grab my arm. Now he starts to breath in a panic, now flailing his arms nearly going under, still attempting to grab me, I was - six long inches away. Finally I'm done waiting for him to get it together. I picked him up under his arms and screamed- Put your feet down! That's why I Just don't see him be on really helpful in an emergency.

Just being devils advocate but maybe the Mom killed her father. It seemed like they were not getting along.

Just my experience. I love them.

Thread Information