Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Target customers hit by major credit card attack

Thanks Berm. I got the email too and meant to post if but haven't been to a computer lately.

Interestingly when j was at Target the other day the clerk said that store wasn't hit. I don't believe her - as she said none of our local stores were hit.

This doesn't stop my from shopping there, or using my red card.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    I only shopped online at Target for our dishes (In September) and they sent me an email saying my personal info may have been grabbed. God dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

I'm. Pretty sure online wasn't hit. Its likely a better move to email everyone and offer credit monitoring. They could be wide open for a lawsuit. This is also a good PR move.

My info was definitely compromised.

I caught it within an hour of it being used and shut it down right away. The bank was awesome about it, sent me and the hubby new cards right away.

Hasn't stopped me from shopping at Target though...

Teen suspected in Target hack malware

17-year-old in Russia identified as author of malware, firm says

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/T...z/-/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

I also received the email Berm posted, but I didn't use a credit/debit card at Target during the breach.

And I *can't recall* ordering anything online from Target ... ever. So the only reason I can think of that Target has my name/address/email is from my baby registry in 2010.

I got the email and already activated the free year of credit monitoring they offered.

I got my code, I need to activate it

So that email is legit? My mom got it but she was afraid it was fake.

Well shit, I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by hamdinger125 View Post
    So that email is legit? My mom got it but she was afraid it was fake.
    Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Well shit, I hope so.

Target Email To Customers Offering Free Credit Monitoring Is Not A Scam

Target's recent effort to regain the trust of its shoppers after a credit card security breach seems to have backfired. Customers, it seems, are still on edge when it comes to the retailer.

The company was the victim of a security breach during the holiday shopping season that compromised around 40 million customer credit cards. In response, Target sent an email to those who may have been affected by the breach offering a year's worth of free credit monitoring and identity theft insurance. The services are offered through Experian and can help prevent customers from being victims of credit card and identity theft.

But many of those customers believe the email is a hoax. It?s not.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4612600.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Every time I get a suspect email, I google the subject line.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

A South Texas police chief said Monday that two Mexican citizens who were arrested at the border used account information stolen during the Target security breach to buy tens of thousands of dollars' worth of merchandise. But a federal official said later there currently was no connection between the arrests and the retailer's credit card data theft.

McAllen Police Chief Victor Rodriguez said Mary Carmen Garcia, 27, and Daniel Guardiola Dominguez, 28, both of Monterrey, Mexico, had used cards containing the account information of South Texas residents. Rodriguez said they were used to purchase numerous items at national retailers in the area including Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Toys R Us.

"They're obviously selling the data sets by region," Rodriguez said.

Late Monday, a federal official with knowledge of the case said there currently was no connection between the McAllen case and any ongoing investigation into the Target breach, but would not elaborate. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was prohibited from providing details about the investigation.

The discrepancy could not immediately be rectified late Monday. Messages left for Rodriguez and his lieutenant Monday evening seeking a response to those comments weren't immediately returned.

Garcia and Guardiola were both being held Monday on state fraud charges. It was not immediately known whether they had retained lawyers.

Rodriguez said he did not know whether these arrests were the first related to the Target breach.

Asked about the McAllen arrests, Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder said in an email Monday that the investigation was active and ongoing.

"I'd have to refer you to local law enforcement there for any questions about their community," she said. The Minneapolis-based company said last week that it has stopped more than a dozen operations that sought to scam breach victims by way of email, phone calls and text messages.

A message left with the U.S. Secret Service seeking more information about the case was not immediately returned.

McAllen police began working with the Secret Service after a number of area retailers were hit with fraudulent purchases on Jan. 12. The Secret Service confirmed that the fraudulent accounts traced back to the original Target data breach from December, Rodriguez said.

Investigators fanned out to McAllen-area merchants and reviewed "miles of video" looking for the fraudsters, he said. From that, they were able to identify two people and a car with Mexican license plates.

With the help of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, investigators confirmed the identities of their suspects from immigration records of when they had entered Texas in the same vehicle, Rodriguez said. Police prepared arrest warrants last week and waited for them to return.

On Sunday morning, federal officials alerted police the two were at the Anzalduas International Bridge trying to re-enter the U.S. They were carrying 96 fraudulent cards, Rodriguez said.

Investigators believe the two were involved in both the acquisition of the fraudulent account data and the production of the cards.

Rodriguez said investigators suspect Garcia and Guardiola were singling out Sundays for their shopping sprees hoping that the banks would not be as quick to detect the fraud.

He said he expected Garcia and Guardiola to eventually face federal charges.

The Target security breach is believed to have involved 40 million credit and debit card accounts and the personal information of 70 million customers.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/21...rd-fraud-case/
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Wondering if your credit card number could be in the hands of a crook? Look for a charge for $9.84.

The Better Business Bureau issued a fraud alert last week about a raft of consumer complaints all reporting the same niggling charge. The business levying this fee may purport to provide “customer support,” or it may simply identify itself as any one of a number of different websites.

The fraud, uncovered by a former Washington Post reporter who writes an investigative blog called KrebsOnSecurity, apparently relies on consumer carelessness. Where an unfamiliar charge for a large amount would be spotted by most consumers, little charges can go unnoticed.
    Krebs writes in his blog that the charges, most of which were reported over the holiday season, may have been spotted because consumers are being more vigilant in the wake of the Target breach. His investigation into the fees led him through a labyrinth of 230 websites that were all connected to one of a handful of individuals located in London, India and Cyprus.

The bottom line for credit card customers is a simple one: If you spot a charge for $9.84 on your credit card statement, call the card issuer. It’s likely that your card or card number is in the hands of a crook. You need a new card and to place a fraud alert on your credit file.

Placing a fraud alert on your credit file is simple (and explained here by the Federal Trade Commission). It should only require reporting the fraud to one of the three credit bureaus. The credit bureau that you report to should spread the news to the other two major bureaus on your behalf.

And in case you’re not already doing this, keep a close eye on your accounts. As the Target and Neiman Marcus breaches make clear, credit card security is far from foolproof. Your best defense is vigilance.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/got-a-ch...t-card-beware/

Looks like I'm good. But damn I go to starfucks a lot!

So far so good. I still think I'm just gonna change my card number though. I'm sick of going through my account all the time with a fine toothed comb. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

I seriously lucked out. Didn't lose anything and my back automatically sent a new card.

One of my co workers wasn't so lucky. They got him just last week. He had been checking his accounts every day and from the time of his "morning check" to that afternoon, they took everything. It was that quick. His bank actually saw it and notified him, but he was already wiped out.
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Wow! What's worse is when accounts get opened in your name and they get instant credit, buy a bunch of shit maxing the card and you have to do a bunch of leg work. I know someone it happened to and its rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    Wow! What's worse is when accounts get opened in your name and they get instant credit, buy a bunch of shit maxing the card and you have to do a bunch of leg work. I know someone it happened to and its rough.
    That IS the worst! Long ago when I worked in the bank, one of our customers had her SS# compromised and they were opening accounts and doing all sorts of shady shit. She'd get everything cleaned up and squared away and it would start again. 3 years this went on and Social Security pretty much told her "that's your # for life. sucks to be you."
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    That IS the worst! Long ago when I worked in the bank, one of our customers had her SS# compromised and they were opening accounts and doing all sorts of shady shit. She'd get everything cleaned up and squared away and it would start again. 3 years this went on and Social Security pretty much told her "that's your # for life. sucks to be you."
    i guess that's when you have to work one of those life lock groups into your budget. forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    i guess that's when you have to work one of those life lock groups into your budget. forever.
    Or just have shit credit. I can't get a Walmart card. If you wanna steal my social, godspeed.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Or just have shit credit. I can't get a Walmart card. If you wanna steal my social, godspeed.
    twinns! i laugh at cashiers at target who try to get me signed up for the target card. to really drive it home, i turn to the guy behind me and ask if he's interested in me wasting his time by applying for a card that i won't qualify for.

that shows them who's boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    twinns! i laugh at cashiers at target who try to get me signed up for the target card. to really drive it home, i turn to the guy behind me and ask if he's interested in me wasting his time by applying for a card that i won't qualify for.

that shows them who's boss.
    Ugh. That and shopping at Kohls, where they have coupons and % off sales and "Kohls Kash" but only if you put it on your Kohls card. I'm on a debt management program (probably the ONLY sound financial decision I've ever made) which pretty much closes all your charge cards.
    "Will you be putting this on your Kohls card today?"
    No.
    "Do you have a Kohls card? It only takes minutes to sign up"
    I have a card, thanks.
    "Why not put today's purchase on your Kohls card!? You'll save X% blah blah blah"

"Because I don't want to" never works so I end up having to tell them in one way or another the card is useless.

Khols cash isn't limited to card holders. I've never had the problems people describe at khols. The pushiest store I've dealt with is Lane Bryant. They don't understand no most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    Khols cash isn't limited to card holders. I've never had the problems people describe at khols. The pushiest store I've dealt with is Lane Bryant. They don't understand no most of the time.
    Yeah, they are the worst. Kmart too with their stupid exclusive member bullshit club.

Thread Information