Thread: Brandon Shelton (16) went "mudding" and drowned when truck slid off 30' cliff in

Brandon Shelton (16) went "mudding" and drowned when truck slid off 30' cliff in

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2009/06/14/Brandon_Shelton_(16)_went__mudding__and_drowned_wh en_truck_slid_off__30__cliff_into_Lake_Whitney

This article to me didn't make it clear if they were "mudding" when they died. This one does
    http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/43037922.html

Teens Killed In Freak Lake Whitney Accident Identified Save  Email  Print

LAKE WHITNEY (April 15, 2009)-- Whitney High School students Zach Stout, 18, and Brandon Shelton, 16, were killed Tuesday night when their truck plunged off of a 30-foot cliff and landed in Lake Whitney.

Lt. Larry Armstrong of the Hill County Sheriff's Office told News 10 the accident happened at around 4:45 p.m. near Harmony Point on Lake Whitney.

The two were, "mudding" and "doing donuts," both of which were described as reckless, off-road type activities, when the truck, a single cab Dodge pickup truck, went off the edge of the cliff, Armstrong said.

An eyewitness told authorities the teenager later identified as Stout hit the back window when the truck landed upside down in the water; it wasn't known if he and Shelton were wearing seat belts.

The witness, who was fishing at the time of the accident, attempted to rescue the two teens, but was not able to break any of the windows.

Both doors were locked.

The bodies of both teens have been sent to Dallas for autopsy

What a strange hobby
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudding

Re: Brandon Shelton (16) went "mudding" and drowned when truck slid off 30' cliff in

Mudding is fun, not many understand. DS and WTBB understand  :2kiss:

Re: Brandon Shelton (16) went "mudding" and drowned when truck slid off 30' cliff in

A tragic and senseless accident. Such an unecessary risk. 

Seems strange that the report was that one of the teens hit the back window, in what I assume was an attempt to break it to get out. The doors were locked when they found them. Wouldn't he have tried to unlock the door and open it before trying to break out a window? Maybe he just panicked. Must have been a terrifying way to go.

Lake Whitney is about 20 minutes from where i live. The night they died, another teen died about 30 minutes away in another car wreck. She was reaching for something in the back seat then started swerving into oncoming traffic, but overcorrected and she was hit by an F350 truck. People around here are waay too careless when they drive. A friend of mine (luckily uninjured) lost control of her car recently and ended up in a creek.. because a bee was in the car. 

[quote author=Crewsinn link=topic=20448.msg1307192#msg1307192 date=1245180395]
    Lake Whitney is about 20 minutes from where i live. The night they died, another teen died about 30 minutes away in another car wreck. She was reaching for something in the back seat then started swerving into oncoming traffic, but overcorrected and she was hit by an F350 truck. People around here are waay too careless when they drive. A friend of mine (luckily uninjured) lost control of her car recently and ended up in a creek.. because a bee was in the car. 
    [/quote]
    Those are examples of accidents. This case was an example of wrecklessness.

You ever come up to a road sort of half paying attention, and one car comes flying by out of nowhere? Then you look both ways and there are no other cars anywhere around. It's like that one car was on a perfect collission course for you and if you didn't pay attention that would've been your end. Whenever I notice something like that, I pay extra careful attention from then on out. I guess I live my life like I'm in a Final Destination movie.

why would you even go mudding near a CLIFF? anyone who has been mudding knows you lose control of the vehicle easily.. weiiirddd.

[quote author=Crewsinn link=topic=20448.msg1307223#msg1307223 date=1245182536]
    why would you even go mudding near a CLIFF? anyone who has been mudding knows you lose control of the vehicle easily.. weiiirddd.
    [/quote]

Teens are capricious and careless. He probably thought he could always maintain control of his truck no matter what. It was just a bad idea gone bad.

[quote author=Crewsinn link=topic=20448.msg1307223#msg1307223 date=1245182536]
    [/quote]

That's what threw me too. It sounds like a weird sport but why would anyone do it near a cliff.  Was it an actual "course" where kids go all the time and there was some "trick" to it that they missed and went off track. Did they  were  just decide "hey I'll drive my truck right next to a cliff.

[quote author=libraryk link=topic=20448.msg1307620#msg1307620 date=1245205783]
    That's what threw me too. It sounds like a weird sport but why would anyone do it near a cliff.  Was it an actual "course" where kids go all the time and there was some "trick" to it that they missed and went off track. Did they   were   just decide "hey I'll drive my truck right next to a cliff.
    [/quote]

well lake whitney in general is a place people go mudding a lot but nobody i've ever met has gone mudding near the cliffs. there have been some crazy deaths over at lake whitney though.. atleast a few people a year die during the summer from jumping off the cliffs and accidentally landing in a boat.

Thread Information