Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marian Guerrido (23) drove her car into a pond, killing two of the five children in the vehicle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

Marian Guerrido (23) drove her car into a pond, killing two of the five children in the vehicle

The mother's desperate screams pierced the predawn mist and darkness, alerting nearby residents to the unthinkable: Five young children were trapped inside a submerged car that had gone off an entrance ramp into the frigid waters of a St. Louis Park pond.

The driver, Marion N. Guerrido, 23, of Brooklyn Center, escaped from the four-door sedan on her own. But for more than 20 minutes, the children remained at the bottom of the holding pond by the interchange at Hwys. 7 and 100, with no one able to reach them.

When the children, all unconscious, were removed from the car, they were rushed to Twin Cities hospitals.

By late Thursday, two of them were dead. The others were being treated for what the State Patrol described as serious injuries.

The State Patrol said just after 8:30 p.m. that 5-year-old Zenavia Rennie had died of her injuries. Rick Petry, an attorney for the family, later confirmed that 7-year-old Alarious Coleman-Guerrido died between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Guerrido, the mother of three of the children, was not hospitalized.

Alerted by a woman's screams

"I ran out to the balcony the second I heard the woman screaming," said Jeffrey Robertson, 40, who lives in the Brittany Apartments complex overlooking the pond and who called 911 at 6:16 a.m. He had been watching the morning news in his second-floor apartment when he heard her screams.

"Even in the darkness, I could see a woman standing in water up to her knees," he said. "Looking back, everything about her screams told you she was the mother of a child in trouble."

Three of the children riding in the 1998 Grand Am are Guerrido's ? sons Alarious and Amani Coleman-Guerrido, 5, and daughter Aliyana Rennie, 1, whose father, Julius Rennie, is Guerrido's boyfriend, her Brooklyn Center neighbors said. Zenavia was Rennie's daughter, as is Zarihana Rennie, 6.

The cause of the accident had yet to be determined late Thursday. Despite the mist, the roads were relatively dry and free of ice, authorities said. At that hour, traffic is relatively light.

No alcohol was detected, according to the State Patrol, but Lt. Eric Roeske of the patrol said that "according to our records [Guerrido] did not have a valid license."

Authorities did not say whether the children were wearing seat belts or any of were in car seats.

"This is a horrible, horrible tragedy and accident," Petry said. "I can only try and imagine what they've got to be going through now. It's just a real sad situation."

Petry wants no one "to think that this poor mother has done anything wrong," he said. "From what I know, I don't think she did anything wrong. She tried to do everything right."

Passer-by jumps in to help

The car, which had been heading west on Hwy. 7 before entering and skidding off the ramp, landed in water that was "quite deep," an estimated 8 to 9 feet, and was "incredibly cold," Roeske said.

A passer-by, identified by the patrol as Joel Oine, scaled a fence and went into the water in an attempt to rescue the children.

He "jumped in the water, was standing on the roof of the vehicle and the water was up to his neck," Roeske said.

But the children could not be rescued until the car had been partly towed from the water, Roeske said. There were conflicting reports on exactly when each child was removed from the car, but the patrol reported that the emergency call came in at 6:10 a.m., the first child was removed at 6:35 a.m. and the last at 6:55 a.m.

It was uncertain where the car was headed. Nor was it clear how Guerrido escaped. Witnesses told police that she got out of the vehicle as it was sinking, Roeske said.

Robertson said that after he called 911, two police cars arrived almost immediately, followed by fire department vehicles, more squad cars and several ambulances. The Hennepin County water patrol was dispatched as well.

An hour or so after the incident, the four-door car could be seen partly submerged and in an upright position on the steep bank of the pond. Its back window was broken out.

Children's boots were sitting on the ramp.

Until Thursday, things had been looking up for Guerrido, her Brooklyn Center neighbors said. She recently had begun a job as a bank teller, said neighbor Antonio Maxwell, who added that she was excited.

"She was a very nice mother, very friendly," said Amy Minor, Rennie's aunt, who also lives in the neighborhood. "She took good care of her children."

"I hope that there'd be as much emotional and loving support for this family as possible because it's just such a rotten deal, such a tragic set of circumstances," Petry said.

"This is why we all hug our kids every day, and want to know that they're all right because they can be there, and then the next day, everything can change."

Grief counselors will meet Friday with students and staff at Odyssey Academy in Brooklyn Center, attended by four of the children. A letter also will be sent home to parents to help them guide their children through this tragedy, said John Sedey, the school's executive director.

"You're never quite prepared for anything like this," he said. "It's a loss that will be felt throughout our school."

The cold-water advantage

Cold-water near-drownings "for the most part keep physicians the most optimistic," said Dr. Aaron Burnett, assistant medical director for St. Paul's Regions Hospital Emergency Medical Services.

"When you are in cold water, it slows the metabolic rate of your cells," he said. "It's good in drowning cases. When you slow the metabolic rate down, your cells need less oxygen and they produce fewer waste products. There is a better overall survival rate."

Burnett said children usually do better than adults in such crises. Children submerged in cold water from 45 to 60 minutes have survived with little or no brain damage, he said, adding, "Those are still unusual cases."

Concern also was expressed for the responders.

"Each responder is affected differently," Roeske said. When asked to describe the event, he used a single word.

"Traumatic," he said.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2013...in_the_vehicle

I don't know about y'all, but my bullshit meter is going off on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

something is weird with this story. And that picture is just ratchet. i wanted side braids until i saw her pic.

but no alcohol was detected, and it was only 8:30pm, this is my hypothesis:
    I think that she got into a fight with her boyfriend and got crazy and drove into the pond - but then regretted it.

or

It was dark and she drove off the road into the pond by pure accident. She doesnt have a license maybe she is really inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post

The mother's desperate screams pierced the predawn mist and darkness, alerting nearby residents to the unthinkable: Five young children were trapped inside a submerged car that had gone off an entrance ramp into the frigid waters of a St. Louis Park pond.
    "I ran out to the balcony the second I heard the woman screaming," said Jeffrey Robertson, 40, who lives in the Brittany Apartments complex overlooking the pond and who called 911 at 6:16 a.m. He had been watching the morning news in his second-floor apartment when he heard her screams.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    something is weird with this story. And that picture is just ratchet. i wanted side braids until i saw her pic.

but no alcohol was detected, and it was only 8:30pm, this is my hypothesis:
    I think that she got into a fight with her boyfriend and got crazy and drove into the pond - but then regretted it.

or

It was dark and she drove off the road into the pond by pure accident. She doesnt have a license maybe she is really inexperienced.
    Don't know if it matters, but the accident was in the morning...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Yeah. Something just doesn't seem right. Not to be too "Judgy McJudgerson " but 3 kids by the age of 23, cramming 5 kids in to a Sedan and driving without a valid license just doesn't scream "Responsible Individual" to me.

I was thinking either lost it because of a fight (like you thought ) or distracted driving (texting etc).

I also realize that it's hard to speculate how people would react in an accident like this, but I find it suspicious that she got out untouched but none of the kids. As a Mom I would think she would at least try to push one kid out of the window before bugging out.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Here's an update, can someone c/p the article for me? http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...surviving-kids

And while she didn't have a license, she did have a permit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Zenavia Rennie, 5, and Alarious Coleman-Guerrido, 7, both died after they were rescued from a car that crashed into an icy Minnesota pond, where they were trapped for about 45 minutes until they were saved.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2lc0BzYQK
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

wow where in the hell did i get 8:30pm??

Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    wow where in the hell did i get 8:30pm??
    That's when one of the kids died
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

The article Neener posted:

MINNEAPOLIS*? Two of the children who were trapped underwater when a car veered off the road into a St. Louis Park holding pond are showing signs of improvement.The children -- Amani Coleman-Guerrido, age 5 and Aliyana Rennie, age 1 -- have become "responsive," family spokesman Rick Petry said during an impromptu press conference Friday afternoon at the St. Louis Park police department.Emergency crews pulled five children from the submerged 1998 Pontiac Grand Am on Thursday following the crash at highways 100 and 7. Two died: Zenavia Rennie, 5, and Alarious Coleman-Guerrido, 7.The three still hospitalized -- Aliyana, Amani and Zarihana Rennie, age 6 -- remain in critical condition.The driver, Marion Guerrido of Brooklyn Center, was able to escape the car.St. Louis Park Officer Aaron Trant, the first officer on the scene, said his "heart hit the floor" when he learned there were children trapped in the car underwater.Trant, who was soon joined at the scene by Sgt. Bryan Kruelle, saw two people standing in the pond with water up to their waists. But he didn't see a car.Divers"Not seeing the vehicle, I screamed out to them," Trant recalled. "I said, 'where's the vehicle at?' They said, 'we're standing on top of the vehicle.'"One of the three people on top of the car was Guerrido, 23. Trant said he and Kruelle were shocked to hear children were still trapped inside.A father, he became emotional talking about the rescue."To hear that... and both being fathers, it was difficult," Trant said. "But it's part of our job ..."Rescuers described the challenges of trying to get the children out of the car. Firefighter Tim Smith donned an inflatable suit. But that suit prevented him from using his hands to search for the kids."Feeling around with my feet was difficult because of the buoyancy of the suit," Smith said. "And just trying to stabilize me -- if you can imagine a fishing bobber in the waves -- it's difficult to stay in one place."Smith said he pulled the children out with this feet so he could reach down and grab them with his hands. As he cradled the children in his arms, other rescuers pulled him across the water to shore, where the young victims were taken to ambulances and given CPR.They thought they had all the children out but had to rush back into the water after learning a fifth child remained in the car. Smith said they smashed the car's back window to reach inside and pull out the last child.NO VALID DRIVER'S LICENSEGuerrido did not have a valid driver's license, the Minnesota State Patrol said. The State Patrol said Guerrido had an instruction permit that allowed her to drive with a licensed driver in the car, but she was the only adult in the car at the time of the crash.Aliyana, Alarious and Amani are Guerrido's sons and daughter, the State Patrol said.Rick Petry said Guerrido had dropped off her boyfriend, Julius Rennie, at work. She was on her way to take the kids to her mother's house in Brooklyn Center before heading to work herself when the car went into the pond. All five children were in the submerged car for at least 20 minutes. St. Louis Park fire officials said none of the children was responsive when they were brought to shore.Four of the victims were students at Odyssey Academy.Throughout the school day Friday, students decorated the lockers of Zenavia and Alarious with messages and drawings.One message read, "See you in Heaven, Alarious. We all love you and miss you."School staff huddled last night to come up with a strategy to cope with losses, said John Sedey, the school's executive director."We tried to maintain as much of a normal day as possible -- impossible, but we tried," Sedey said.Four grief counselors were on hand to talk with students and staff. They plan to bring them back next week.The school has also sent a letter home with students explaining the accident.A fund has been set up to help the family pay for funeral expenses and medical costs.
    A TROUBLESOME INTERSECTIONAuthorities say Marion Guerrido was going westbound on Highway 7 and turned onto the entrance ramp for northbound Highway 100 just before the crash. It's a fairly sharp turn, almost a right angle, away from Highway 7. Guerrido's car went into the pond very near that turn, and it was only about 50 yards down a slope into the water from the roadway.State Patrol spokesman Lt. Eric Roeske said it is too early to conclude whether speed or any mechanical problems with the car were factors in the crash. The State Patrol doesn't believe alcohol was a factor. He said the road was damp at the time of the crash.A Minnesota Department of Transportation spokesman said the intersection was already scheduled for a $60 million overhaul beginning late next summer, with the aim of replacing the sharp corner with a loop because the existing merge length is too short.The ramp also does not have a guard rail because it doesn't meet MnDOT qualifications for such a structure, which include the slope and a 6-foot distance between the road and the first structure a driver would hit, said Bobbie Dahlke, a MnDOT spokesperson for Hennepin County."That six feet is enough room for a motorist to correct the faction, to get out of a situation before it hits a structure or goes into a pond," Dahlke said. Officials have re-evaluated the area since the incident but said it's unlikely they will add a guard rail. "Certainly when anything like this happens, we do re-look at things to make sure," she said.Between 2010 and 2012, 18 crashes occurred on the ramp, according to MnDOT. Dahlke said that's a relatively low number for an area with traffic signals.

Thanks! Her name needs to be changed in the article title, its Marion, not Marian.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop

We weren't the only ones questioning. From an article in the Daily Mail:

Asked to comment on whether the crash could have been intentional, Roeske said they were planning to fully investigate the incident, but there was no immediate information that would indicate the crash had happened on purpose.

Full article here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-icy-pond.html

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    Thanks! Her name needs to be changed in the article title, its Marion, not Marian.
    Her own Facebook has it as Marian. Are you sure?

Her own Facebook has it as Marian. Are you sure?
    Well now I'm not. it was Marion in all the articles I saw.

that one article is super sad. the first responder sounds really broken up by it.
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    Well now I'm not. it was Marion in all the articles I saw.
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    that one article is super sad. the first responder sounds really broken up by it.
    It must have been terrible for them. The diver looks heartbroken in this photo:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-icy-pond.html

ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post

ugh!
    Thank you for posting the pic for me. I'm on my phone.

I can't imagine diving down to retrieve one child much less 5 children. I feel for them.

I'm amazed that any of them lived seeing how long they were down there. I imagine the cold water worked in their favor. I'm afraid that the rest may be touch and go :( I'm assuming brain damage is a factor.

Member Keann Scissorhands Powley's Avatar
    I live close to here. None of the children were wearing seatbelts and the car was overcrowded.

i thought you are totally dead after 7 minutes or so. these kids were down there for 3 times that. i don't think they're coming out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    i thought you are totally dead after 7 minutes or so. these kids were down there for 3 times that. i don't think they're coming out of it.
    If they were in hypothermic conditions (cold water) brain death would take longer, meaning they are viable for longer Children(and adults to a lesser extent) have a specific reflex known as the mamillian diving reflex. "The reflex is triggered by splashes of cold water on the face or submersion of the face. Once the body detects an impending cold-water immersion, it attempts to thwart the cold and preserve blood flow to the brain and internal organs. The heart rate slows down, decreasing oxygen demand. And capillaries in the hands and feet begin to tighten, squeezing blood to the core of the body and brain, where it?s needed most. "

So basically, you don't "need" to breathe, everything slows down when the body is cold, including heart rate... so they may appear dead and gone but once they warm up, they come to. We work any cold water drowning in EMS until they are "warm and dead" because of this. There have been cases of 45 minute cold water submersion with no pulse being brought back to life after CPR and rewarming. They also now use hypothermia in the field (via iced IV fluids/compresses) to minimize damage to the brain after cardiac events.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...leside11m.html
    http://familydoctormag.com/first-aid...-drowning.html

/ems ramblings
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkerDuckie View Post
    If they were in hypothermic conditions (cold water) brain death would take longer, meaning they are viable for longer Children(and adults to a lesser extent) have a specific reflex known as the mamillian diving reflex. "The reflex is triggered by splashes of cold water on the face or submersion of the face. Once the body detects an impending cold-water immersion, it attempts to thwart the cold and preserve blood flow to the brain and internal organs. The heart rate slows down, decreasing oxygen demand. And capillaries in the hands and feet begin to tighten, squeezing blood to the core of the body and brain, where it?s needed most. "

So basically, you don't "need" to breathe, everything slows down when the body is cold, including heart rate... so they may appear dead and gone but once they warm up, they come to. We work any cold water drowning in EMS until they are "warm and dead" because of this. There have been cases of 45 minute cold water submersion with no pulse being brought back to life after CPR and rewarming. They also now use hypothermia in the field (via iced IV fluids/compresses) to minimize damage to the brain after cardiac events.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...leside11m.html
    http://familydoctormag.com/first-aid...-drowning.html

/ems ramblings
    I always think of that part in the movie The Abyss where she "drowns" in freezing water and then they bring her back.

That's what I'm afraid of. Those poor babies :( No seatbelts and crammed in to a car. I think we have a "Mother of the Year" candidate on our hands.

3. How long can the brain go without oxygen before serious damage occurs?

After five to ten minutes of not breathing, you are likely to develop serious and possibly irreversible brain damage. The one exception is when a younger person stops breathing and also becomes very cold at the same time. This can occur when a child is suddenly plunged into very cold water and drowns. In this situation, survival after more than 30 minutes has been known to occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Thread Information