Page 48 of 79 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1960

Thread: Bad Cops. BAD! BAD!

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    And this is why I'm not a full supporter of the death penalty.
    And some people would say "oh well, some mistakes will be made. It happens, but it's worth it."

I just don't understand that way of thinking, and the total lack of empathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Mississippi Cop said 'I'm gonna get that nig*er' before choking Jonathan Sanders to death

When Jonathan Sanders, an unarmed black man, died last week in Mississippi while in police custody, it was a racially motivated killing, attorneys representing the victim's family claimed Tuesday.

Officials handling the case either could not be reached for comment or declined to speak, citing the pending investigation.

Sanders, 39, a resident of Stonewall, Mississippi, died last Wednesday after allegedly being placed in a chokehold by Officer Kevin Herrington, attorneys C.J. Lawrence and Chokwe Lumumba told The Huffington Post on Tuesday.

Sanders, who trained horses and was often seen riding around in a horse-drawn buggy, was at a gas station with one of his animals at about 10 p.m. Wednesday when he saw an altercation between Herrington and another white man, whom Sanders knew. According to Lawrence, Sanders approached them and asked Herrington to leave the other man alone.

A witness told the attorneys that after Sanders left, Herrington allegedly said, "I'm gonna get that n****r."
    Lawrence said multiple eyewitnesses have told the attorneys that Herrington then got in his car with an unidentified civilian female and drove after Sanders, who was on his buggy. Three eyewitnesses who are related to Sanders by marriage, and who say they saw the altercation from their home, said the officer turned on his police lights when he was just behind Sanders. The lights startled the horse, which took off at a sprint, throwing Sanders off his buggy.
    "Jonathan immediately began to run after his horse, unaware of what was going on behind him," Lawrence said. "Herrington proceeded to chase Jonathan."

Herrington allegedly grabbed a headlight tied around Sanders' head, pulling it down to his neck and yanking him to the ground. Sanders' body was slumped down in a "praying position" as Herrington allegedly wrapped his arms around the man's neck, placing him a chokehold, Lawrence said.

The three witnesses in the home told the attorneys the officer would not release his grip. At the time, the witnesses said, they were not aware that the man in the officer's grip was Sanders, their relative. One of the witnesses, who works as a correctional officer in Stonewall, came out to confront Herrington, allegedly asking the officer to let Sanders go. Herrington told the correctional officer that Sanders had reached for his gun, according to the attorneys.

"When you look at all these cases of unarmed black men being killed by police, it seems to be a common theme that the black man is always reaching for the officer's gun," Lawrence said. "You always have a white guy so much faster and stronger that he outwits the suspect, maintains his gun, then lives to tell the story of how a black man reached for his weapon."

The correctional officer repeatedly asked Herrington to let Sanders go so that the correctional officer could perform CPR on him, but Herrington allegedly declined, according to testimony. Lawrence and Lumumba said that although it only took three minutes for Staten Island man Eric Garner to die in a chokehold in a widely publicized case last summer, Sanders was allegedly placed in a chokehold for more than 20 minutes before EMTs arrived.
    Sanders was dead by the time help arrived, the attorneys said.

During the incident, witnesses said, the unidentified female in Herrington's police car got out and helped remove the officer's weapon from his holster at his request.

Witnesses said that before his death, Sanders repeatedly said "I can't breathe," according to the attorneys.

The case is now being handled by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation. Multiple calls to their department went unanswered.

District Attorney Bilbo Mitchell told HuffPost he could not comment on an ongoing investigation. He and Stonewall Police Chief Mike Street plan to hold an open forum at Stonewall Town Hall on Tuesday to "inform the public of the judicial process and what it entails during an investigation," according to a Monday Facebook post by The Clarke County Tribune.

Lumumba and Lawrence told HuffPost that prior to his death, Sanders had filed a harassment lawsuit against the Stonewall Police Department. The current status of that suit is unknown. Attorney Stewart Parrish, who was handling the lawsuit, could not be reached for comment.

Over the weekend, more than 400 people attended a march for Sanders to demand justice, The Meridian Star reported.

The town of Stonewall has fewer than 1,500 residents, according to The Guardian. The town is named for General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, who fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War.

Herrington has been placed on paid administrative leave. Results of an autopsy for Sanders are still pending.
    "This is a town where the cops have free rein," Lawrence said. "That’s what type of place it is."

Racial slur + violence against a victim = hate crime under federal statutes. amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    And some people would say "oh well, some mistakes will be made. It happens, but it's worth it."

I just don't understand that way of thinking, and the total lack of empathy.
    Because they're not thinking about it happening to someone they know. "That'll never happen to me, so it doesnt matter"
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Racial slur + violence against a victim = hate crime under federal statutes. amirite?
    No, no, no. Your math is all wrong.

Racial slur + violence against a victim + cop - black witnesses = no criminality
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    No, no, no. Your math is all wrong.

Racial slur + violence against a victim + cop - black witnesses = no criminality
    I've always sucked at math.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Because they're not thinking about it happening to someone they know. "That'll never happen to me, so it doesnt matter"
    The more I see from these people the more I think it's some kind of mental disorder.

Conservatism is at least a personality disorder. I mean they're so hateful and horrid, it's not just a "difference of opinion" with the wing nuts, it's outright insanity.
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 07-15-2015 at 11:21 AM.

This ones nice. Video in a news report at the link, I can't embed it but I'll see if I can find the full vids on ytube or LL

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...e-she-is-naked

Edit, all I can find is the news feature but at least I can embed it now

Last edited by blighted star; 07-15-2015 at 08:07 PM.

I never know whether to make threads or not anymore. Or whether to post here or in the racism thread. There are just so many names

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/16/8978183...-investigation

Police say Sandra Bland killed herself in jail. Here's why that's hard to believe.

Updated by Jen?e Desmond-Harris on July 16, 2015, 1:20 p.m. ET @jdesmondharris

Police say Sandra Bland was pulled over by a Texas officer Friday, July 10, for failing to signal before changing lanes. Three days later, she was found dead in her jail cell. Friends, family members, and activists have launched a campaign to challenge the sheriff's office's account that the 28-year-old black woman committed suicide, and to demand answers about how she died and who is responsible.

Details of Bland's life, and the insistence of people who knew her that she would not have killed herself — combined with a backdrop of well-documented police misconduct against African Americans — help fuel intense skepticism of the official version of events.

Why law enforcement's story isn't trusted by the public

Police say Bland, a Chicago native who had recently moved to Texas to start a job as a college outreach officer, assaulted the officer who pulled her over during a routine traffic stop,*Chicago's ABC-7 reports. Waller County Sheriff's office has said an autopsy determined that she later died in jail from "what appears to be self-inflicted asphyxiation."

Bland's friends have told reporters that things were going well for her and that she wouldn't harm herself, but that's not the only reason the case has drawn national attention. The police account hasn't been widely accepted, in part because it comes in the wake of a string of high-profile cases of African-American deaths at the hands of police officers — cases in which it took video footage to draw attention to what was later deemed misconduct to help prove that the officers' accounts were dishonest.

Just to name a few: There's Walter Scott, who was shot in the back by a Charleston, South Carolina, officer as he ran away, unarmed; 12-year-old Tamir Rice, who was just killed seconds after a Cleveland officer approached him at the park where he played with a toy gun; and Baltimore's Freddie Gray, , who was thrown into the back of a police van while shackled, and later died of spinal cord injuries. That's to say nothing of the police officers who were caught on camera hitting Texas woman Brenda Hardaway, who told them she was pregnant, the California highway patrolman who beat 51-year-old grandmother Marlene Pinnock, or the cop seen manhandling a bikini-clad teenage girl at a McKinney, Texas, pool party in a video that went viral because of the over-the-top response.

Combine those with the Justice Department's report on Ferguson, Missouri, that found written evidence of racism by police and court officers and documented a widespread pattern of discrimination against African Americans in the city, the more recently released outrageously racist text messages by San Francisco cops, and the mountains of evidence about the way racial bias affects police treatment of African Americans, and it's not hard to understand the widespread assumption that Bland's death involved foul play that officials are now working to cover up. Regardless of what further investigations ultimately reveal, there should be no question about why there's such an intense demand for them.

ABC 7 released video of her arrest, which shows one officer on top of her and several officers restraining her as she screams that she's been hurt and questions why they are being so rough. But there's not yet any jail cell footage that could explain what happened between this time and when she was found dead three days later.

The campaign for answers, and the investigations

A statement released by law firm representing Bland's family reads, "The family of Sandra Bland is confident that she was killed and did not commit suicide. The family has retained counsel to investigate Sandy's death." A relative has asked Twitter users to use the hashtag #JusticeForSandra "so that our family cam get justice for her."

Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis has acknowledged the concerns of those who say she would not have committed suicide and suspect that her death involved foul play by law enforcement authorities.

"I will admit it is strange someone who had everything going for her would have taken her own life," he told*NBC station KPRC in Houston. "That's why it's very important a thorough investigation is done and that we get a good picture of what Ms. Bland was going through the last four or five days of her life.

"If there was something nefarious, or if there was some foul play involved, we'll get to the bottom of that," he said.

An earlier statement from the sheriff's office statement said "any loss of life is a tragic incident," and announced that an investigation was being conducted by outside agencies, ABC 7 reports. A*Change.org petition demands that the Department of Justice conduct an independent autopsy.

Last edited by blighted star; 07-16-2015 at 09:57 AM.

(making use of a double post)

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...ost-for-racism

Sandra Bland died in police custody this past Monday. Visiting Texas from Chicago to interview for a college job at her alma mater of Prairie View A&M, she was pulled over for a routine traffic violation (failure to use her turn signal). Everything from that point forward screams racism and foul play, including her death in the Waller County jail Monday.
    The first red flag is that Bland was officially arrested on Friday for assaulting a police officer. What we see from a bystander video is her telling the officers she is in pain and cannot hear after her head was slammed on the ground by the male arresting officer. The video is below.

We have now learned that Waller County Sheriff Glenn Smith, who made the first public comments about Bland's in-custody death, was suspended for documented cases of racism when he was chief of police in Hempstead, Texas, in 2007. After serving his suspension, more complaints of racism came in, and Smith was actually fired as chief of police in Hempstead:

Council members are reviewing video of four arrests and detentions over the past month. The officers and police chief, who are the targets of the complaints, are white. Some residents are calling for a third of the city's 15 person police force to be suspended, disciplined, or fired.
    Allegations of racism have led to the Hempstead police chief being suspended and ordered to take anger management classes.

The Hempstead city council has been reviewing the case since last week and finally came to a decision at around 2am Tuesday. A number of residents have come forward with claims of racism by at least four white police officers.

The council reviewed the complaints, along with videotapes before making their decision to punish Chief Glen Smith. Some say it wasn't enough. The chief says he respects the decision.

"My action during the arrest did not meet professionalism as it should with language and I'm not above policy and procedure, no more than any officer of this city," said Chief Smith.

It would seem that once a law enforcement officer—a chief of police no less—is suspended and then fired for racism and abuse, his ability to serve in law enforcement would cease.
    That'd be too much like right, though.

Hell, it made Glenn Smith popular in Waller County, where he then ran for the elected position of sheriff and won against—you guessed it—an African-American candidate, Jeron Barnett, who would've been the first black sheriff ever in Waller County.

Last edited by blighted star; 07-16-2015 at 10:02 AM.

That one is pretty big here. Crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

you guys, check out her facebook -

https://www.facebook.com/sandra.bland.5070/photos

Not saying she was targeted, but I don't know.....
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers

Where's a Terminator when you need one?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=zFxaCa-hr8o

I would be surprised if that wasn't taken into consideration.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

this whole thing is going to be big, or maybe i feel that way because Hempsted is right down the road from us, but with her being pretty direct with her views, and her dying in police custody, I just see it being big.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    this whole thing is going to be big, or maybe i feel that way because Hempsted is right down the road from us, but with her being pretty direct with her views, and her dying in police custody, I just see it being big.
    Oh yes. Anti brutality folks will martyr her.

In the wake of the Denver Police killing (and apparent coverup) of Paul Castaway, a Lakota Sioux, some much-needed attention is being given to the plight of America's indigenous people. What the research shows is likely shocking to everyone except for Native Americans, who are painfully familiar with the brutality of American law enforcement.

In a new report covered by AJ Vicens of Mother Jones:

Native Americans are more likely than most other racial groups to be killed by police. Indian Country Today noted that according to the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, a nonprofit organization that studies incarceration and criminal justice issues, police kill Native Americans at a higher rate than any other ethnic group.

While far fewer Native Americans are killed by police than African Americans, when adjusted for age and percentage of the population, the numbers are staggering. See the graph from the Centers for Disease Control and the Center on Criminal and Juvenile Justice below.

Graph on people killed by police

While we must take into account that the numbers of people killed by police were severely underreported until the media began covering and valuing this statistic, this report is mind-blowing nonetheless.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...merican-Police
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    This ones nice. Video in a news report at the link, I can't embed it but I'll see if I can find the full vids on ytube or LL

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...e-she-is-naked

Edit, all I can find is the news feature but at least I can embed it now

http://boingboing.net/2015/07/16/pol...d-illegal.html

i just came here to post about this. so incredibly fucked up and sad. i'm glad this cop isn't on the job any more, but he should have his pension yanked or something. seriously, fuck that guy.

http://www.ketv.com/national/k9-dies...3A+New+Content

A police K-9 died Thursday evening after being left for hours inside his handler's patrol car.

Zane, a 5-year-old bloodhound, was found dead at the handler's residence in Rockdale County, Georgia, according to Conyers Police Department spokeswoman Kim Lucas.

The bloodhound worked as a tracking dog with the department for four years, three with his handler, Cpl. Jerahmy Williams.

The Rockdale County Sheriff's Office responded to Williams' home Thursday and is conducting an investigation with the county district attorney's office.

Williams came home from a 12-hour shift at work and went to sleep feeling ill, according to Lucas. When Williams was getting ready for work in the afternoon, he discovered Zane dead inside his SUV, which was parked in his driveway. The dog had been in the car about 10 hours, Lucas said.

Williams called his immediate supervisor to report the incident.

"We are committed to the care and proper treatment of our working K-9s. We are mourning the loss of our own," Police Chief Gene Wilson said.

Wilson announced Friday during a press conference that the department will look into a device that is used in daycare vans in order to keep their K-9s safe.

"It's like a kill switch for the vehicle," Lucas said. "A person will have to physically go to the rear of the vehicle and see the dog before turning off the ignition."

Wilson also mention in the conference that he believed Zane's death was an accident.

Williams' car did have a device known as a "Hot-N-Pop," which is an alarm that would alert the officer of the car's temperature and roll the windows down for the canine. But the device was not activated because the ignition was turned off.

Commenters on Conyers Police Department Facebook page were critical of the police department, demanding the officer be charged with animal cruelty.

Williams, who has been with the police department for five years, is on administrative leave with pay, pending on the outcome of an internal investigation.

If a civilian kills a police dog they get charged with killing a cop. I wonder what they will charge this guy with, if anything?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post

If a civilian kills a police dog they get charged with killing a cop. I wonder what they will charge this guy with, if anything?
    This. Exactly this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post

Ron, people love dogs, so he'll probably get charged.

Ron, people love dogs, so he'll probably get charged.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ng-shot-police

Native Americans get shot by police at an astonishing rate
    So why aren?t you hearing about it? Jul 15 2015

Students participate in a "die in" outside Colorado's state capitol in Denver in December 2014 as one of many nationwide in the wake of officer Darren Wilson shooting and killing Michael Brown in August 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri.

The subsequent national conversation about police brutality in the US has largely ignored the suffering of the Native American community at the hands of police. Michael Rieger/ZUMA

Nearly 100 people demonstrated in downtown Denver earlier this week after police there shot and killed 35-year-old Paul Castaway on July 12. Police said the man was coming towards an officer with a knife, but his family and witnesses on the scene dispute those claims and say he was pointing the knife toward himself.

The shooting comes a little more than a month after two Denver Police officers were cleared in the shooting death of Jessie Hernandez, a 17-year-old girl killed in January when the officers fired into a stolen car she was supposedly driving toward them in an alley.

According to his mother, Castaway struggled with schizophrenia and alcoholism. Witnesses say he was holding a knife to his own throat and didn't threaten officers, according to the Denver Post. Castaway was shot four times and died later that night. Denver Police Department spokesman, Sonny Jackson, told the Post that the department is reviewing the incident, and that the officers involved will be named soon.

Castaway was a Lakota Sioux. His death brings up a rarely-discussed aspect of the ongoing conversation around police brutality in the United States: Native Americans are more likely than most other racial groups to be killed by police. Indian Country Today noted that according to the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, a nonprofit organization that studies incarceration and criminal justice issues, police* kill Native Americans at a higher rate than any other ethnic group.

The center's analysis relied on data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Center for Health Statistics. It found that Native Americans, making up just .8 percent of the population, are the victims in 1.9 percent of police killings. When the numbers are broken down further, they reveal that Native Americans make up *three*of the top five top age-groups killed by law enforcement:

Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

"This is a reflection of an endemic problem in the perception of non-white people when it comes to the administration of justice," Chase Iron Eyes, an attorney with the Lakota People's Law Project in South Dakota, told Mother Jones. The group put out a report called "Native Lives Matter" in February discussing various ways the justice system disproportionately impacts Native Americans. He said the US Department of Justice needs to address police violence against Native Americans and that Castaway's death is only the most recent example of the problem.

"You can tell they're shooting out of fear," he said. "If it's not out of hate, for some reason they're pulling the trigger before determining what the situation actually is. Something does need to happen. Somebody does need to take a look and we need help."

There was an officer-involved death in Oakland - I've been trying to find confirmation for the last 12 hrs. Still haven't really but there was this. It sounds a bit unusual

https://twitter.com/violentfanon/sta...811138/photo/1

This is so minor in the scheme of things, but...

My friend, a 60ish white lady who drives a Subaru was going home yesterday. She pulled up to a corner and stopped at the crosswalk because a young woman and her two kids were starting to cross (kids were maybe 4 & 6) My friend was in the outside lane. A cop came rolling up and just about hit the pedestrians. Mom yelled at him. He yelled back and threatened her with a ticket for jaywalking. Cop started to get out of the car. Mom pointed at my friend, "we're legal. We're in the crosswalk. Just ask her. She did it right!" Cop turned and glared at my friend. Told Mom to go on, he'd let it slide THIS TIME. Then he proceeded to follow my friend all the way to her home. She is convinced he was trying to find a reason to ticket her, and/or intimidate her.

She's the daughter of a former police chief and as big a law and order stalwart as you'd care to meet. And you convinced her that you're a thug. Congratulations. And yes. She did report him to the Police/community task force...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information