Thread: Cougar kills sanctuary worker

Cougar kills sanctuary worker

PORTLAND, ORE.The longtime employee killed by a wildcat this weekend at a suburban Portland animal sanctuary died of multiple bite wounds, according to autopsy results released Monday.

Dr. Christopher Young of the Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office said 36-year-old Renee Radziwon of Portland had "devastating injuries in the critical areas of head and neck."

Radziwon died Saturday night inside a cougar enclosure at WildCat Haven in Sherwood, where she worked as head keeper for the past eight years.

Deputy Mark Nikolai of the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office told CBS News affiliate KOIN in Portland that Radizwon had been attacked by a cougar. Sheriff's Robert Wurpes said the animal was locked in a cage following the attack.

The Clackamas County sheriff's office finished looking into the attack and concluded there was no crime to be investigated, spokesman Sgt. Robert Wurpes said. The sheriff's office said two cougars were inside the enclosure, but investigators were working on the theory that just one attacked the woman. Radziwon died at the scene.

Radizwon was believed to have been alone with the animal in its enclosure, although the sanctuary said its handbook specifies that two qualified staff members be present during the lock-out of a "dangerous" animal. "Unfortunately it seems like a pretty cut-and-dried event," Wurpes said. "She was in the enclosure, and the cat attacked her."

"We are devastated by this loss. Not only was she one of our most dedicated staff members, we thought of her as family. We send our most heartfelt prayers to those she has left behind," said Cheryl Tuller, executive director of the sanctuary.

But Radziwon's mother told The Associated Press her daughter had expressed concerns about safety measures at the sanctuary before the attack. "There was no one there to help her. There was no one at that sanctuary. They left her completely alone," Carol Radziwon said by phone from Pennsylvania.

The sanctuary did not return multiple calls for comment from the AP. Renee Radziwon was the only staff person listed on the sanctuary's website.

Melanie Mesaros, spokeswoman for Oregon OSHA, said the agency will be investigating the incident, including looking at training, safety protocols, evidence at the scene and interviews with workers and potential witnesses.

WildCat Haven is a nonprofit that rescues wild animals such as cougars, bobcats, tigers and other wild cats. Cougars are native to the American West. The sanctuary is 17 miles south of Portland, in a secluded, wooded area.

The facility has an exhibitor's license, the USDA said. It is closed to the public but can conduct tours for donors. The USDA is looking into the incident to determine whether any noncompliance with the Animal Welfare Act contributed to the attack, spokeswoman Tanya Espinosa said.

Two routine inspections conducted by the federal agency at the sanctuary in 2011 and 2012 showed no violations, according to USDA records.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ctuary-worker/

The 911 call is hard to listen to--the poor guy who found her is so distraught. What a trauma.
    Last edited by *crickets*; 11-13-2013 at 11:15 AM.

I read about this a couple of days ago when they hadn't yet released what kind of big cat killed her. As horrible as it is that she died, it is nobodies fault but her own. I just hope that they don't kill the cat because the handler made an unfortunate decision.
    I'm up against it all
    Like a leaf against the wind

Sad, she just had a baby.

Other articles say she was known for having an amazing relationship with the cats. Maybe she thought a little more of it than the cougar did.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

Cougars are scary shit. We have had several incidents in Minnesota in recent years even though they're "officially" not here.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/257930

I wouldn't want to run in to one of them in the wild, but to be killed by them in an environment like an animal sanctuary speaks more to the error in judgment of the worker than the killing ability of the cat.
    I'm up against it all
    Like a leaf against the wind

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid_much View Post
    Sad, she just had a baby.

Other articles say she was known for having an amazing relationship with the cats. Maybe she thought a little more of it than the cougar did.
    Yeah, she may have thought she had an amazing relationship...to the cougar she was just prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Gram Parsons View Post
    Cougars are scary shit. We have had several incidents in Minnesota in recent years even though they're "officially" not here.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/257930

I wouldn't want to run in to one of them in the wild, but to be killed by them in an environment like an animal sanctuary speaks more to the error in judgment of the worker than the killing ability of the cat.
    ITA. She was NOT supposed to be alone in that cage.

That poor guy who found her is going to be psychologically scarred for life. Imagine finding your friend mauled to death--he'll never be able to unsee that. Talk about PTSD! I hope he gets a good therapist and some pharmaceutical help.
    Last edited by *crickets*; 11-13-2013 at 08:42 PM.

The whole thing is sad but like it was mentioned already, the cats were supposed to be in another area when someone came in and they were supposed to come in with partners.

What gets me, is that they said in the news that even the authorities had a helluva time getting to the sanctuary. The roads are all fucked up and personnel had no idea what they were in for not knowing where all the cats were.

A local resident even made a comment that they can hear the cats at night and it's 'discerning'.

Yeah I don't need to live near a damn sanctuary for big ass cats that can kill with a bite.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Thread Information