Thread: Barking Dogs May Have Sparked Slaying Of Family

Barking Dogs May Have Sparked Slaying Of Family

This is crazy--apparently there had been a long-standing dispute between these neighbors about the family's dogs barking, so the guy flipped out and killed the dogs AND the entire family, shot up another house, then killed himself.
    http://www.usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...layings-police

Police say loud barking might have led a 56-year-old man to kill four of his neighbors and two dogs before turning the weapon on himself over the weekend at a central Phoenix town house.

There is "some indication that perhaps that was a problem," Phoenix police Sgt. Tommy Thompson said Sunday of the barking.

Michael Guzzo, 56, killed four members of a family in the confrontation Saturday. The victims were identified as Bruce Moore, 66; his daughter, Renee Moore, 36; her husband, Michael Moore, 42, who took his wife's name; and Renee's son, Shannon Moore, 17.

After the killings, Guzzo shot at another town house before returning to his unit and killing himself, police said.

Police said they found a pump shotgun, apparently the weapon used in the killings, next to his body. Thompson said there was no indication he had a violent past.

A neighbor said Guzzo usually kept to himself. "I've seen him every morning--come in quiet every morning," Donald McKenzie told Phoenix television station KSAZ-TV. "Never would expect him to be the guy who did this at all."

After shooting the Moores and the dogs, Guzzo walked across the large complex and shot at the door and second floor of another town house, police said. KNXV-TV reports the second home belongs to Libni DeLeon, who said bullet holes are now scattered around his house.

DeLeon told the station he heard a knock Saturday morning before the gunman shot through his front door. "I ran upstairs and when I got there I got a glance at him, and I yelled at him, and he turned around and shot two more rounds upstairs," DeLeon said.

No one was injured at the home.
    Another source said the shooter (Guzzo) was a pharmacist and divorced, and lived alone. Really sad that he couldn't find a way to deal with this, I mean aren't there city ordinances about barking dogs? There must have been another way...and now 5 people are dead.

I don't think the barking dogs is what made this man flip his shit. I hear dogs barking all day long, it's annoying but I don't murder the dogs and their owners. Why did he shoot into the second town house?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Was this already posted a while ago, or is this another case?

I could have swore there was another story about a guy killing his neighbors over barking dogs.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I don't think the barking dogs is what made this man flip his shit. I hear dogs barking all day long, it's annoying but I don't murder the dogs and their owners. Why did he shoot into the second town house?
    Oh, I think it is..
    And apparently the guy in the 2nd house had barking dogs too:
    Neighbors in the family-oriented, 250-unit complex, near 17th Avenue and Hazelwood Street, said the shooter often argued with pet owners about barking dogs and left written notes complaining about the noise. "He didn't want noise," neighbor and dog owner Denise Lopez said. "The dogs were waking him up. He always used to complain."

What is known, according to police, is that Michael Dante Guzzo took his pump-action shotgun and, at about 9a.m. Saturday, fatally shot his next-door neighbors: Bruce Moore, 66; his daughter, Renee, 36; her husband, Michael, 42, who took his wife's last name; their son, Shannon, 17; and two dogs.

Guzzo then began walking to a unit across the courtyard, where a Chihuahua and pit bull had started barking at the gunfire, the dogs' owner said.

Guzzo banged and kicked the front door, said Libni, who lives at the unit and declined to provide a last name. Libni's girlfriend had just left the shower and was trying to open the door and hold a towel around herself at the same time, he said, but he sent her upstairs to be with the two children.

"That's when he fired through the door," said Libni, who was standing to the side at the time.

Guzzo then began to walk away as Libni raced up to the second floor, retrieved his gun and opened a window, he said. "A man's got to protect his family," Libni said. At the sound of the window opening, Guzzo raised the shotgun and fired, shattering the glass, Libni said. He said he had just ducked.

Guzzo then walked across the courtyard to his unit, went inside and fatally shot himself, police said.

A neighbor, Charise, 42, said that Renee Moore had five dogs, all small breeds. She had just gotten several out of quarantine. They had been quarantined after she and her husband moved to Phoenix from China, she said.
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...cide-abrk.html
    5 dogs, all small breeds..."YAP YAP YAP YAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAP YAP YAP! YAP, YAP, YAP!"
    Last edited by *crickets*; 10-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.

nah, you don't shoot someone because of yappy dogs. you shoot someone because you're fucking crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    nah, you don't shoot someone because of yappy dogs. you shoot someone because you're fucking crazy.
    That too.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    Yea, I dunno man.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

That does sound annoying, but it's no excuse to murder multiple people.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I'm waiting for this to happen on my street. The guy at the end of the block has killed 2 of his neighbors Pomeranians with poison. He has turned in all his neighbors with dogs for barking complaints. The people 2 houses down had to get rid of their dog. He used to be a pilot, but rumor has it, that he was drunk flying and lost his license. He drowned rabbits in front of my daughter when she was six. Now, he drinks tall boys with headphones on and leaf blows the street for hours. He blows all the leaves to our end of the block. I tried to talk to him about it once, telling him we all work nights and his leaf blower is loud. It had no effect and we no longer work nights. One year he used a riding lawn mower to get the leaves on the street. The neighbor with the dead pomeranians recently took him to court for a restraining order (she lost) and another elderly neighbor argued with him over the leaf blowing. He said "go in the house old man". We all own to the middle of a large creek and he was found to be dumping into the creek. He assumed someone turned him in, so he forced the city to do a walk through of the properties to find other violators. He is a bully and if someone complains he gets even...by complaining to the humane society and city officials for code enforcement. Neighbors who argue with him find nails in their driveway. I'm glad I live far enough away to avoid him. I fear he will go postal and kill the neighbor with the dead pomeranians. That neighbor hired someone to work on her home and the workers had her garage open, she came home over her lunch hour to see their progress and found that neighbor going through stuff in her garage. When he had his house shingled, he had the delivery truck use his neighbors driveway for delivery and it cracked her new driveway. The two neighbors argue continually and he constantly invades her space to piss her off. He "won" in the restraining order court, but the judge told him to stay off her property and leave her alone. She lives in fear of him.

Soooo, basically Satan lives in your neighborhood. The drowning bunnies thing?? Yeah, satan. Fuck him

I've never heard of someone trying to get a restraining order and being denied. I was able to get one on someone who constantly called my house and drove by. That's crazy.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

His neighbor is terrified. She is retired and owns the home. She doesn't really want to move, but may due to his constant presence.

When we moved here, he was never home due to his being a pilot thing. Then he lost the pilot job and began working in a lawn mower shop. He no longer is employed and fixes lawn mowers and collects broken ones, fixes them and sells them. So he is always home. He is one of those neighbors, that if you go outside to work on the yard or house, he is there talking your ear off. Very annoying. When I have spoken with him, he brings up the pomeranian neighbor and speaks very badly about her. He seems obsessed with her. I have talked with her and suggested a privacy fence, home security cameras etc.

He became close to another neighbor across the street. That neighbor is a disabled cop (who didn't look to disabled when he put in a retaining wall). The disabled cop has a son who is now a police officer as well and owns a lawn service. Crazy neighbor was allowing lawn mowing cop son to dump grass and other debris into the creek via crazy's backyard. This caused a huge stink...literally. Rotting grass clippings by the truckload stink to high heaven. We would go outside and be looking for a rotting body in the creek..lol. Lawn mower cop kid bought a house on the same street and tore out his driveway and hauled the concrete to crazy's house to dump in the creek. He then accepted wood chips from cop kid and landfill dirt. Crazy had 3 piles of crap sitting in his driveway and the city got wind of it and ticketed him. He assumes the pomeranian neighbor turned him in. Crazy complained to me about it as the yard patrol was searching my backyard. I told crazy that he had 3 piles of shit 8 feet tall and he wonders how the city knew about it. I was angry that city officials were inspecting my bank and was pissed at crazy for trying to drag all his neighbors down with him. I got a fix it ticket for having 2 grills, 1gas and 1 charcoal, 2 bicycles in my gazebo and pots from my plants still outside in November. I found out the city has some strict rules on what you can leave in your backyard. Crazy hates me now because im friends with pom lady. His being bff's with the cop neighbors, makes him more emboldened. I think they got involved with the steaming piles of shit and called a city buddy to harass his neighbors. I filed a complaint with the city over my inspection and the head of the department came out and seemed perplexed by my ticket. He had my ticket dismissed and told me the yard looked fine. I think maybe the police officer with the yard service got in trouble over the dumping, because he had to bring in a truck and collect the piles of shit in crazy's driveway. So, yeah...I'm expecting violence from that end of the street. Crazy got a new neighbor across the street and I saw them arguing over the leaf blower. I was waiting for punches to be thrown, but sadly crazy didn't get his ass kicked. I am happy to hear other neighbors hate the constant leaf blowing too. Every Sunday he starts bright and early and continues doing it for hours. It's a gas blower and is insanely loud. I have been tempted to hire thugs to collect bags of leaves from the curb and dump a truckload of them into his yard some night.

I think crazy is suffering mental illness due to years of drinking. He is always drunk and carries a coozy around with his beer at all times. His cop neighbors encourage his nonsense as they benefit from the weird relationship. Their side of the street is clean and clear of all leaves. He blows them all from the street to 5 houses down from him. That's a huge amount of leaves that end up piled in front of my next door neighbor. Plus, there is other crap that gets blown from the gutters into this pile that cars drive through. We have had numerous flats from nails and I think it's from the pile that we have to drive through...or he is tossing them in my driveway too. I keep hoping his liver will fail and we won't have to deal with him anymore.

I worry that he has a gun permit to carry. I know the cops and their wives carry since the disabled cops wife showed me her pocket gun and encouraged me to get one to be safe. I have been tempted to video him with his leaf obsession and post it to you tube, but I'm sort of frightened by him.

Reason #156 why I don't live in Nebraska.

She told me he hired a lawyer to fight the restraining order and she had no proof. The judge did tell him to leave the neighbor alone and not to enter her yard. The neighbor needs a video system so she can prove what he does.

The ex-wife of the man who murdered his four neighbors and killed their two dogs Saturday because the canines wouldn't stop barking loudly, says there were warning signs he would snap.
    Michael Guzzo, the 56-year-old gunman, became enraged over the noise from the pets at a neighboring townhouse in a Phoenix apartment complex, detectives say.
    They believe the pharmacist used a pump-action shotgun to shoot dead Bruce Moore, 66; his daughter, Renee Moore, 36; her husband Michael Moore, 42 (who took his wife's last name); and their son, Shannon Moore, 17. He also slaughtered their dogs.

Guzzo then fired several rounds into the door of another neighbor.He returned home and killed himself.
    The woman who was married to Guzzo for 20 years described him as a 'troubled soul' who struggled with depression, paranoia and self-esteem issues. And she would know - she's a behavioral health nurse.
    The former Mrs Guzzo says she wasn't surprised when she heard the news.
    'I watched the news at 5 and I went "Oh my God." And I knew. I knew Mike was the shooter, I knew he was dead,' she told AZCentral.
    His ex-wife says she decided to talk to the media in order to give the Moore family a better idea of what happened the day of the shooting, but wanted to remain unnamed.
    When he moved into the apartment a year and a half ago, she says he was angry and depressed.
    She adds that he was so angry about the neighborhood's barking dogs that he left several notes on doors around the apartment complex.

His attitude was creeping into his professional life as well, and Guzzo was having a hard time keeping jobs at pharmacies.
    She also believes he was suicidal and probably woke up that morning deciding to die. The barking dogs gave him an excuxse.
    'It just culminated,' she told ABC 15. 'It was the perfect storm.'

She says the Moore family 'were in the wrong place at the wrong time' and argued with the wrong person. She believes her ex-husband simply 'snapped'.
    Still, she maintains that her Guzzo was a good person and she never felt in danger around him. She says that in the years leading up to their divorce she tried to get him treatment but he refused and started to isloate from the entire family.

Mike had worth. He never felt he had worth - he had worth,' she told FOX 10. 'He was a good person that did a very bad thing.'

But she says, he shouldn't have owned a shot gun.
    'For him to have a weapon like that, it's just a recipe for diaster.'
    Several of Guzzo's neighbors say he was a quiet man and that they were shocked by his sudden violent rampage.
    'I've seen him every morning - come in quiet every morning,' Donald McKenzie told KSAZ-TV.
    'Never would expect him to be the guy who did this at all.'
    Police say they may never know for certain what prompted the massacre because Guzzo took his own life.
    However, they believe the altercation was the result of an argument over the Moores' dogs.
    Renee Moore ran a dog grooming business.
    Police found two of Guzzo's victims on the patio outside their townhouse. Two others were shot dead inside the home.

Some pictures of the crime scene at the link.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2j6LbWBnv

The shooter

Thank God I have cats. My babies are quiet.
    This guy was batshit crazy. ruff ruff

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    Oh, I think it is..
    And apparently the guy in the 2nd house had barking dogs too:

5 dogs, all small breeds..."YAP YAP YAP YAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAP YAP YAP! YAP, YAP, YAP!"
    It can be maddening but this is the worst reaction it should get. Really.

How, HOW does someone in such a precarious psychological state legally own a shotgun???

From what I understand...that whole community had dogs. The shooter used to leave dog ordinances laws posted on their doors. It wasn't uncommon for the man to say stuff about the dog's barking.

I just wonder why didn't he move. Or he could have tried one of those sonic barking things. Some people have had success with them.

I do admit tho....barking dogs drive me f'ing crazy.

Especially the little yappers. That high-pitched YAP YAP YAP! And these people had FIVE of them.

This is so sad though..I mean really, why not just move to a pet-free complex??

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    Especially the little yappers. That high-pitched YAP YAP YAP! And these people had FIVE of them.

This is so sad though..I mean really, why not just move to a pet-free complex??
    I wonder if maybe he was locked in an underwater mortgage or a long term lease and couldn't just move?
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

That's probably it. The whole thing makes me sad - such a waste. He must have felt trapped and it drove him right over the edge.

Thread Information