Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Miriam Carey (34) shot and killed by Capitol police afte she drove through a barricade while suffering from post-partum depression

Miriam Carey (34) shot and killed by Capitol police afte she drove through a barricade while suffering from post-partum depression

Washington (CNN) - Emergency vehicles swarmed the area of the U.S. Capitol on Thursday after an order given over the speaker system told people to shelter in place because of an active shooting situation.

CNN Chief Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash reported that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said there was one person injured.

Filed under: Congress
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...llshooting245p

Car rammed into the white house gates, driver was pursued by secret service, ran over a cop at capitol hill, driver was shot
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Everything seems under control. Students are being allowed to leave schools as normal. No longer on lock down.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

from Twitter: damaged police car at scene

They're saying the driver was a woman with a child in car. There was a car chase, driver and child were injured, police officer injured and airlifted to hospital.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    We're never going to have tourists again, are we?
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    We're never going to have tourists again, are we?
    Hell I say wall the whole place off, call it a theme park. Fort Apache, DC, maybe. Sell tickets.

And somehow...drumroll cuz it's coming people...new catch phrase...Obama made me do it!!! Makes perfect sense since he is in league with the devil...

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

A woman with a child!? Dafuq was she thinking?!

All bullets were from police shooting at car...car was speeding, running stop lights, refusing to stop for police. Car chase lasted 3 minutes.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    They're saying the driver was a woman with a child in car. There was a car chase, driver and child were injured, police officer injured and airlifted to hospital.
    Hahaha Wait for people to start bitching. "HOW DID THEY RETURN FIRE!?!? SHE HAD A BABY!?!?

Haha bunch of jackasses. It's like having a kid means you're on "base" or some shit.
    Like that SUV douche driver in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Hell I say wall the whole place off, call it a theme park. Fort Apache, DC, maybe. Sell tickets.
    Oh, I meant the whole USA. This must sound like insanity to people in first world countries.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Oh, I meant the whole USA. This must sound like insanity to people in first world countries.
    Well Yeah. There will be a few "adventure" tourists. But sane people? Well they'll go some place else, no doubt.

Hahaha Wait for people to start bitching. "HOW DID THEY RETURN FIRE!?!? SHE HAD A BABY!?!?

Haha bunch of jackasses. It's like having a kid means you're on "base" or some shit.
    Like that SUV douche driver in NYC.
    Except from what I'm hearing so far the cops weren't returning fire...they were firing at the car b/c it was speeding and wouldn't stop. They weren't being fired at.

Latest is that the female driver got out of the car and was shot and killed by police. Pic of officer carrying child from car:

I was fixing to ask if maybe she had some sort of medical emergency......but then from the picture with the cop holding the baby...the title underneath said the woman backed up.

I'm pretty sure if she backed up, that rules out some sort of medical emer. Like a seizure or low blood sugar.

There are crazy videos of her stopping , backing up, turning around and peeling away with multiple cops with guns drawn surrounding the car. This right in front of the WH, after she tried to ram the barricade.

I'm thinking mentally unstable (the voices told me to do it) or suicide by cop.

eta: it was a black Lexus
    Last edited by *crickets*; 10-03-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Miriam Carey 34.

this is absolutely fucking ridiculous bullshit, isn't it. an unarmed woman with a child. fucking gross. i hope who ever fired the shots isn't collecting a paycheck for today.

ABC News
    Capitol Police officers who sprang into action earlier today are among those being forced to work without pay during the government #shutdown: http://abcn.ws/17yehsa

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    this is absolutely fucking ridiculous bullshit, isn't it. an unarmed woman with a child. fucking gross. i hope who ever fired the shots isn't collecting a paycheck for today.
    Seriously Emmie? For all they knew she was some sort of suicide bomber or something. She ran over a cop, who knows how badly he's hurt. She could easily have killed any number of bystanders. All she had to do was not run... I don't know what you expect the cops to do in this sort of situation. A car is a deadly weapon in the wrong hands.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/03/po...ain/index.html
    The chase began when the Infiniti hit a barrier on the outer security perimeter of the White House, said Ed Donovan, a Secret Service spokesman. One of the responding officers was hit by the car as it left the scene, he said.

Police said the car sped down Pennsylvania Avenue toward the Capitol, where security vehicles stopped it at Garfield Circle.

Frank Schwing, a Washington resident who was near the area, said officers "came out with their guns drawn" and approached the suspect's vehicle.

"At that point, the driver slammed into reverse, slammed into a cruiser, did a 180 (degree turn), took off, and at that point, there were a half dozen or so shots fired," apparently all by small arms from police, Schwing told CNN.

Video footage by other witnesses showed the black vehicle then careening around a nearby traffic circle with a police car in close pursuit and then headed away. Shortly afterward, the black car crashed into security barriers a few blocks, witnesses said.

Cathy Lanier, the chief of the Metropolitan Police Department, said more shots were fired after the vehicle stopped, and the woman was hit several times. She was later pronounced dead, Lanier said.
    Video:

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-new...9075/#53179075
    Last edited by puzzld; 10-03-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Seriously Emmie? For all they knew she was some sort of suicide bomber or something. She ran over a cop, who knows how badly he's hurt. She could easily have killed any number of bystanders. All she had to do was not run... I don't know what you expect the cops to do in this sort of situation. A car is a deadly weapon in the wrong hands.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/03/po...ain/index.html

Video:

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-new...9075/#53179075
    well, maybe i spoke too soon. what i read didn't mention a cop being run over. my apologizes. still, she was unarmed. seems pretty sloppy at best, no? they could have shot the tires out so that she couldn't go anywhere without killing her.

ok, i watched the video just now. from what i can see, which isn't a lot, it doesn't seem that he could have been hurt that badly. she was scared, had her kid, unarmed. of course she should have stopped, but killing her? not the right move.
    Last edited by emmieslost; 10-03-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    well, maybe i spoke to soon. what i read didn't mention a cop being run over. my apologizes. still, she was unarmed. seems pretty sloppy at best, no? they could have shot the tires out so that she couldn't go anywhere without killing her.
    Shooting out the tires doesn't stop the car from moving. It may well cause it to crash into a bunch of bystanders. I'm surprised they didn't shoot her right there at the White House, really. It seems sloppy to me that they let her make it all the way to the capital. But I'm just thankful she didn't manage to kill her kid or hurt/kill a bunch of bystanders.

A car chase that began when a driver struck a White House security barrier ended across downtown Washington, when police shot and killed the driver on a street near the U.S. Capitol, police said.

The woman driving the car was unarmed, law enforcement sources said. All the shots in the incident, which began about 2:14 p.m., were fired by police trying to stop her. Police fired at the car in at least two locations, as the car drove across Washington, and around the Capitol area.

Police had a confrontation with a woman in a black car and engaged in a brief car chase with her before shots were fired outside the U.S. Capitol on Thursday.
    Law enforcement officials said the car was registered to Miriam Carey, 34, of Stamford, Ct. The officials said they believe Carey was driving the car.

U.S. Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine said that there was a one year-old child in the car. The child was said to be in good condition.

Two officers were injured during the incident, including a Capitol Police officer and a Secret Service officer. Both were not seriously harmed.

?The security perimeters worked,? D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said Thursday evening. ?They did exactly what they were supposed to do.?

The chase and the shootings triggered a brief lockdown in the Capitol, which was full of lawmakers and staff focused on the ongoing government shutdown. Officers ran through the ornate hallways carrying semiautomatic weapons for a tense half hour as employees were told to ?shelter in place?. But no one in the Capitol complex was hurt, and the House resumed its business before 4 p.m.

?We have no information that this is related to terrorism, or is anything other than an isolated incident,? Dine said. He gave no information about the driver?s identity, or a possible motive.

The chase apparently stretched across downtown Washington: it started at the security barriers outside one icon, and ended at the barriers outside another.

Police said shots were first fired at the car at Garfield Circle SW, a traffic circle on the southwest side of the Capitol. Shots were fired again at Maryland Avenue and Second Street SE. The car crashed, and then police fired again, Lanier said. Officers from both the Capitol Police and the Secret Service both fired, Lanier said, but it was unclear how many officers had fired shots, or how many rounds had been fired in total..

At the beginning of it all, Oregon residents B.J. and Susan Campbell saw a black sedan driven by a woman heading west on Pennsylvania, into a security checkpoint at 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW. The driver went about 20 yards, B.J. Campbell said, before rapidly turning the car around at the concrete security barriers.

?The Secret Service guy was just having a cow,? B.J. Campbell said. ?Yelling at her and banging on the car.? The Secret Service officers pulled a black metal gate into her path and she slowed to try to go around it. Then the agent moved the gate in front of her again.

At that point ?she just gunned it,? B.J. Campbell said. ?She ran the barricade down and the guy; knocked him up onto her hood. He rolled off into the street, and she tore off down Pennsylvania Avenue.? The whole encounter lasted about 20 seconds, he said.

Another witness said the man was an off-duty officer in plain clothes holding a lunch cooler in his hand.

A few moments later and about 1.7 miles away, eyewitnesses reported seeing a black car speeding through Capitol Hill streets, pursued by several police vehicles.

?At first I thought the driver was trying to get out of the way of police, but then I realized [the car] was being chased,? said Giancarlo Refalo, a tourist from Malta.

Refalo said he heard several gunshots followed by ?lots of screaming and shouting.? Then the black vehicle came back on First Street toward Constitution chased by police. ?They were swerving all over the place,? he said. ?By that time I was hiding in the bushes because I was so scared.?

?We was up at the Capitol, seeing some of the protesters, saw five or six cop cars chasing that car,? said Ryan Christiansen, from Idaho Falls, Idaho. He said it was a small black car and that police chased it ?around and around? a traffic circle near the Capitol.

That was confirmed by video taken by the channel Alhurra, which showed officers pointing guns at a black sedan at the foot of Capitol Hill. The sedan then sped away from the officers, circled around two different traffic circles, and then sped east on Constitution Avenue toward the top of Capitol Hill.

?I thought it was a motorcade,? Christiansen said.

The driver ?was pulling away, and somewhere between six and eight shots were fired,? Christiansen said. Police tried to use their vehicles to block the car, but the driver ?got out of that and got away,? he said.

He said he heard the shots and police told them all to hit the ground.

David Loewenberg, 21, an intern with the Education Department, arrived shortly after the shots were fired near the Capitol.

?I saw a police officer hugging a small child, taking her away,? Loewenberg said.

At the same time, Rep. Gerald E. Connolly (D-Va.) was on a balcony of the Capitol building. ?It was almost like two very rapid-fire bursts, very loud,? Connolly said. He was standing with Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-Pa.) when they heard two bursts of gunfire. Connolly thought the shots had come from the opposite direction, toward the House office buildings to the south.

After the shots, Connolly said, ?that?s when we saw people fleeing, and we realized this was no fireworks,? Connolly said. ?It sounds liked the first volley of a 21 -gun salute.?

Connolly said he could see people fleeing the Rayburn Building and police officers running toward it before he was shepherded back into the building. The D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department said one person was transported to a hospital for treatment.

The order sent to Capitol personnel began with an all-caps message: SHELTER IN PLACE. ?Gunshots have been reported on Capitol Hill requiring staff in all Senate Office Buildings to immediately shelter in place. Close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows,? said the message, sent by Capitol Police.

Afterward, House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) took to Twitter to thank the police. ?We all owe the Capitol Police a debt of gratitude for their work every day; no finer examples of professionalism & bravery,? Boehner wrote.

On the House floor, legislators rose for a round of applause after Minority Whip Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) praised Capitol Police for providing protection for the Capitol complex.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) spoke after the round of applause, telling the police force, ?We really appreciate it.?

The chamber also stood and applauded for the staff of the House Sergeant at Arms.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...e_story_1.html

applause. gross.

She was a dental technician and dietician from Brooklyn, NY and living in Stamford, Conn. The bomb squad and a hazmat team is at her condo now. They evacuated the building and sent a robot in to her apt.

She had some sort of "mental issues" but nothing specific so far.

from the NY Daily News:
    Police were searching Carey's condominium building in Connecticut and ABC News reported the woman had a history of "mental health issues."

Carey's former boss, Dr. Brian Evans, told The Daily News that she "fell down some stairs and she had a pretty significant head injury" during the nearly two years she worked for him. He says Carey "seemed happy" but "tended to go against the grain a bit."

It was while Carey was in the hospital that she discovered she was pregnant and "she seemed happy," Evans said. But when they let Carey go last year, "it was nothing related to any mental problems that we were in tune to," he said. "There was never insubordination per se or anything like that," said Evans, whose practice is in Hamden, Ct. "But she tended to go against the grain a bit."

In the Bushwick section, Carey's relatives huddled with a minister and refused to speak with reporters.

"She seemed like a nice young lady, stable," said Brooklyn neighbor Jeff Newsome, 46, who recalled seeing Carey with a boyfriend whom he described as a "heavy-set guy in his 40s."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2giAXhtDc
    I don't see why they had to kill her. The cops that initially had her surrounded were close enough to see she was an unarmed woman with a young child in the back seat. Sure she was speeding and acting crazy, ramming cop cars etc. but there had to be a way to stop the car without killing her. It just seems excessive to me.
    Last edited by *crickets*; 10-03-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Thread Information