Thread: Cara Holley, 18, bludgeoned to death with a tire iron by former HS classmate

Cara Holley, 18, bludgeoned to death with a tire iron by former HS classmate

This happened in 2010, but the trial was finally supposed to start tomorrow. (I looked but couldn't find a thread for it.) They have been dicking around for 3 years, first saying their client was "too depressed" to stand trial, then hinting their defense would be drugs (bath salts made him do it.) Then yesterday, out of the blue, he pleads guilty.

This genius killed her, then drove around in her car using her credit cards until he got caught, 2 days later. He had apparently been messaging several girls on FB trying to lure them into meeting up, but poor Cara was the only one who responded.

I knew she had been bludgeoned but the horrific details only came out today...

Tuesday, October 1, 2013
    A Roanoke man Monday pleaded guilty and no contest to the brutal 2010 killing of Cara Marie Holley, bringing to a close a three-year case that could end with a death sentence.

Flanked by a small team of defense attorneys, Carey Shane Padgett, 24, stood before Judge James Swanson and answered to each of the 10 indictments read to him.

Padgett pleaded guilty to two counts of capital murder and to abduction and robbery. He pleaded no contest to three additional counts of capital murder and charges of abduction with the intent to defile, forcible sodomy and rape. By entering his pleas, Padgett avoided sitting through an 18-day jury trial that was scheduled to begin Wednesday morning.

After the hearing, defense attorney Neil Horn explained that Padgett made his decision without a plea agreement with prosecutors. "This is still a death case," Horn said, adding that a multi day sentencing hearing will likely take place sometime after the new year.

The 24-year-old faces three possible sentences: death, life in prison with a fine, or life in prison with no fine.

The charges against Padgett were long delayed because his depression had made him temporarily unfit to stand trial.

In Roanoke County Circuit Court, Padgett showed little emotion during the proceeding, sitting in a jail-issued jumpsuit, his hands placed calmly on his knees. He listened as, for nearly an hour, Roanoke County Commonwealth's Attorney Randy Leach meticulously unpacked a summary of the evidence the prosecution would have presented at trial.

According to Leach, the case began on a summer evening in the middle of a secluded Roanoke County field. Padgett would later tell detectives he and Holley spent about an hour there on July 7, smoking marijuana and chatting. They had been classmates at Roanoke's Patrick Henry High School. But when Holley explained she needed to leave for a dinner date, Padgett's demeanor changed.

And as Leach walked the court through the violent final moments of Holley's life, two people left the courtroom. Many of those who remained buried their eyes in their hands.

Leach said Padgett admitted to detectives that he began tussling with Holley in the car. They fell from the vehicle and he proceeded to choke her, then stuffed her into a sleeping bag, kicked her, and finally retrieved a tire iron from the car.

"Did you hit her?" a detective asked him during an interview. "Hit her? Her head was bashed. I bashed her," Padgett responded.

He was eventually caught in Franklin County, after the police traced that someone had tried to use Holley's debit card on three occasions. With the help of video surveillance footage at Walmart, detectives identified Padgett as their main suspect.

He would later lead detectives to the spot where he left her body, hidden under a pile of debris along a stretch of road used by loggers in Franklin County. Leach said that as officers began to remove pallets and lumber from the pile, they found a beach towel. "They pull back the blue towel and a sleeping bag to reveal Cara in the position she was found," he said.

Lifeless. Unclothed. One of her eyes missing. And a tire iron shoved so far down her throat it was behind her abdomen.

"He had planned this from a couple of days before," Leach said. "He told officers he killed her to get her car and go out of town."

During interviews with detectives, Padgett admitted he had issues with rage, and that a host of personal problems had him wanting to escape his life in Roanoke. He said he didn't bear any particular ill will toward Holley, telling detectives: "She didn't do anything. She was just the unfortunate one who got picked."

Leach said that if the case had gone to trial, he would have called several young women to testify, each one of Padgett's former classmates that had received an invitation by him to spend time together.

"This was not just Cara," Leach said. "She was the unfortunate one to have the compassion to meet him."
    Last edited by *crickets*; 10-01-2013 at 10:00 AM.

What a cute girl! And what a sicko! Death is too good for him

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Holy shit this is 40 minutes from me where crickets lives. How have I not heard about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    This happened in 2010, but the trial was finally supposed to start tomorrow. (I looked but couldn't find a thread for it.) They have been dicking around for 3 years, first saying their client was "too depressed" to stand trial, then hinting their defense would be drugs (bath salts made him do it.) Then yesterday, out of the blue, he pleads guilty.

This genius killed her, then drove around in her car using her credit cards until he got caught, 2 days later. He had apparently been messaging several girls on FB trying to lure them into meeting up, but poor Cara was the only one who responded.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Death is too good for this sick evil mutherfucker.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    More at link: http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/ro....html?mode=jqm

He said it so quickly that it gave the judge pause, tripping over the front of his sentence and back into silence.

“I’m sorry for what I’ve done,” he said, the final words of a killer in the last chapter of his case.

Carey Shane Padgett, the 25-year-old man convicted of killing his former high school classmate, Cara Marie Holley, will spend the rest of his life in prison. The decision, handed down Wednesday by Judge James Swanson after eight days of testimony and oral arguments in Roanoke County Circuit Court, signaled that Padgett would avoid the death penalty.

It was not an easy decision for Swanson, who was forced to weigh Padgett’s troubled past and possible future dangerousness against Holley’s brutal death. While delivering his decision to the court, Swanson paused at times, taking stock that only he could determine Padgett’s fate.

“It’s an awesome power … depriving a man of his life and liberty. It’s a big deal,” he said, shifting in his seat. “I can’t undo what’s been done.”

Swanson sentenced Padgett to five consecutive life terms plus 175 years in prison for the July 2010 killing. Padgett strangled Holley before kicking her, beating her with a tire iron and sexually assaulting her. He left the 18-year-old’s body in a Franklin County field and was stopped later by police in her vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    I'm going to sideeye the hell out of random classmates that message me now.

I mean I already kinda do because I went to school with assholes but now I really will.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Did he also rape her because in 2014 he was found guilty of rape and Forcible Sodomy ?
    http://www.homefacts.com/offender-de...e-Padgett.html

He's not so good looking at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Did he also rape her because in 2014 he was found guilty of rape and Forcible Sodomy ?

From the origional article from crickets....

[quote]"Padgett pleaded guilty to two counts of capital murder and to abduction and robbery. He pleaded no contest to three additional counts of capital murder and charges of abduction with the intent to defile, forcible sodomy and rape. By entering his pleas, Padgett avoided sitting through an 18-day jury trial that was scheduled to begin Wednesday morning."[quote]

But that's from October 2013. Maybe he had some hanky panky in the clinker in 2014?

ETA: Apparently I forget how to create a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    ..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    [QUOTE=morbidT;3655214]From the origional article from crickets....

[quote]"Padgett pleaded guilty to two counts of capital murder and to abduction and robbery. He pleaded no contest to three additional counts of capital murder and charges of abduction with the intent to defile, forcible sodomy and rape. By entering his pleas, Padgett avoided sitting through an 18-day jury trial that was scheduled to begin Wednesday morning."

But that's from October 2013. Maybe he had some hanky panky in the clinker in 2014?

ETA: Apparently I forget how to create a quote.
    We still love you

It's QUOTE in brackets in the beginning and [/ QUOTE ]
    at the end but without spaces.

This dude is quite a peach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post

He was found guilty of rape in 2014? Was this something separate from this case? He has been in jail since 2010, right?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

For anyone into podcasts, episode 68 of sword and scale is about her.

My stomach flipped as I was reading what he did to her and his vulgar nonchalance as he talked about it.

Thread Information