Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: "Obamacare" Discuss here.

Our government has just officially shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    Our government has just officially shut down.
    Well, that sucks. The last time the gov shut down I got calls from debt collectors looking for a person with my exact same name. They were ruthless and relentless and they threatened to take all my assets..lol They straight up said the federal trade commission was closed and they didn't have to follow any stinking rules.
    Last edited by marycontrary; 09-30-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post

Well, that sucks. The last time the gov shut down I got calls from debt collectors looking for a person with my exact same name. They were ruthless and relentless and they threatened to take all my assets..lol They straight up said the federal trade commission was closed and they didn't have to follow any stinking rules.
    ^^ Yikes! ^^

I remember the last shutdown like it was yesterday and it was 17 years ago. I was in school in Pittsburgh and my friend and I took a trip to DC during break. Everything we wanted to see was closed! I remember peering thru the windows of the (locked up tight) Library of Congress, shivering and cursing Gingrich for ruining our trip!
    Last edited by *crickets*; 10-01-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Isn't there some mess about fining citizens for not acquiring coverage independently as well? And the fine is less than the premiums would cost, so basically the government is taxing us..? Or was that hoobledeegarblegunk? For reals, I'm learning quite a bit. I live in a vacuum and haven't paid attention because this doesn't directly affect me. I admit this makes me a bad person. I'm also over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleta View Post
    Isn't there some mess about fining citizens for not acquiring coverage independently as well? And the fine is less than the premiums would cost, so basically the government is taxing us..? Or was that hoobledeegarblegunk? For reals, I'm learning quite a bit. I live in a vacuum and haven't paid attention because this doesn't directly affect me. I admit this makes me a bad person. I'm also over it.
    That's right (about it being a tax.) That's how it got past the Supreme Court when the state attorney generals tried to have it declared unconstitutional. Justice Roberts was the deciding vote (I think) and they said it was constitutional because it was a tax, not an unlawful way to force the citizens to buy something.

ETA: the Pandacam is going dark! DAMN YOU CONGRESS!
    Last edited by *crickets*; 09-30-2013 at 08:52 PM.

lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Fleta - I have a self-employed friend in Alabama. She said on her FB yesterday that she will be able to buy the lowest Silver plan for $28 per month. She is so excited.

I have insurance too so I didn't do a lot of research about ACA until recently. The misinformation and word-twisting that I have seen in the media and online is unbelievable.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Cool beans!
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

I'm interested to see what the rates and coverage look like. When I was uninsured, a trip to the ER for a kidney infection, annual paps/pelvic exams, and birth control were practically unattainable. I spent years paying off the ER bills, and PP saved my hide on the other two. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone with a chronic condition, someone who wanted to have a child, or someone who had a serious accident. Terrifying. Life=ruined.

I think my rates are very reasonable, and my coverage is good... but I also know that the same plan is waaaayyyyy more expensive for someone trying to cover their spouse/kids/family. I consider this yet another benefit of being child-free. Raaaaaambling.

ETA: rates for COBRA for myself, alone, were over $300 a month... no way I could have ever afforded that...

I'm interested to see what the rates and coverage look like. When I was uninsured, a trip to the ER for a kidney infection, annual paps/pelvic exams, and birth control were practically unattainable. I spent years paying off the ER bills, and PP saved my hide on the other two. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone with a chronic condition, someone who wanted to have a child, or someone who had a serious accident. Terrifying. Life=ruined.

I think my rates are very reasonable, and my coverage is good... but I also know that the same plan is waaaayyyyy more expensive for someone trying to cover their spouse/kids/family. I consider this yet another benefit of being child-free. Raaaaaambling.

ETA: rates for COBRA for myself, alone, were over $300 a month... no way I could have ever afforded that...
    https://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/individual/

I tried to get some rough figures this morning, but I think the healthcare gov site is BUSY.

They have an estimate calculator, and from that the amount I would pay is crazy. That's for 2 adults and 1 kid. That's just an estimate, tho.

I will be curious to try the gov. sign up process later and see what I get. I made it through about 7 pages of just-username and password info- before it cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I tried to get some rough figures this morning, but I think the healthcare gov site is BUSY.

They have an estimate calculator, and from that the amount I would pay is crazy. That's for 2 adults and 1 kid. That's just an estimate, tho.

I will be curious to try the gov. sign up process later and see what I get. I made it through about 7 pages of just-username and password info- before it cut out.
    Crazy good or crazy bad?
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    Crazy good or crazy bad?
    Crazy expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post

one of my professors this term works for the ACA and she recommended that people who are currently insured wait a few months to get on the website so they have time to work out the kinks. open enrollment doesn't end until march 31st.

my dad is fuming about aca this morning. he believes his insurance is going to go up exponentially. is this true? i'm still not getting why republicans hate it so much. i thought it was because it's a 'job killer' but based on dads reaction, it's so much more. will it be more expensive for people who are comfortable with the insurance they have now?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

My insurance has been going up every year for the past 4 years that I've had it through my company. More gets taken out of my paycheck every year. I have no clue how this will affect my benefits going forward

ETA: I should mention I work for a small-medium sized business. Not sure if that matters though.
    Last edited by M Joy; 10-01-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    my dad is fuming about aca this morning. he believes his insurance is going to go up exponentially. is this true? i'm still not getting why republicans hate it so much. i thought it was because it's a 'job killer' but based on dads reaction, it's so much more. will it be more expensive for people who are comfortable with the insurance they have now?
    NO. at least it shouldn't be. and if it does, the ACA will help him through taxes and can even possibly help pay for copays and other out of pocket expenses. i just gotta say, i'm seeing a lot of people afraid of ins. premiums going up but the reality is they have gone up almost every years for years and years but no one cared before. well, some people cared and that is why the ACA is happening. a lot of people (i think PCP or someone mentioned it) have received REFUNDS from their ins. companies because the ACA deemed them too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    NO. at least it shouldn't be. and if it does, the ACA will help him through taxes and can even possibly help pay for copays and other out of pocket expenses. i just gotta say, i'm seeing a lot of people afraid of ins. premiums going up but the reality is they have gone up almost every years for years and years but no one cared before. well, some people cared and that is why the ACA is happening. a lot of people (i think PCP or someone mentioned it) have received REFUNDS from their ins. companies because the ACA deemed them too expensive.
    my dad is a bit of a worry wart... i had to end the discussion with - hey, let's give it a chance and see how it has affected us at the end of next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Welp now I'm in a rage. This fucking government shutdown just hit WAY close to home and I'm gonna fuckin cut someone. Apparently this affects any and all clinical trials that are currently running, and my sister is needing to get into a new trial for her cancer meds, and this fucking bullshit isn't allowing her to do so.

I'm in a fucking rage. This could literally cost my sister her life if it continues too long.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    my dad is a bit of a worry wart... i had to end the discussion with - hey, let's give it a chance and see how it has affected us at the end of next year.
    there is so much misinformation out there its no wonder so many people are freaking out. and lets face it, people hate change. i think a few years from now people will conveniently forget they were ever against the ACA.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Welp now I'm in a rage. This fucking government shutdown just hit WAY close to home and I'm gonna fuckin cut someone. Apparently this affects any and all clinical trials that are currently running, and my sister is needing to get into a new trial for her cancer meds, and this fucking bullshit isn't allowing her to do so.

I'm in a fucking rage. This could literally cost my sister her life if it continues too long.
    i don't know if this will come as any comfort, but it won't last long. the government has shut down 17 times since the seventies. it happens. i don't think it will last long.

We should just fire everyone for not showing up to work.

It better fucking not, I know we're not the only family absolutely counting on this clinical trial to start asap.

Thread Information