Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Ghost Bike Thread

Unhappy The Ghost Bike Thread

Luis 'Andy' Garcia

https://www.facebook.com/andy.garcia...rofile_browser

a few days ago, a group of 5 cyclists in LA were involved in a hit and run drunk driving incident. one was killed, 2 were injured and 2 were not. the drunk driver, a woman, hit the three, dragging a bicycle with her as she sped off. as the 2 who weren't injured were assessing the scene and attempting to render aid, another car came through and wasn't able to stop in time. he ran over andy, causing his death.

had the woman stayed at the scene, it is very likely all 5 would have survived.

it's unclear if the woman told her parents about the accident when she arrived home or if a possible 3rd car followed her long enough to take the license plate number.

this is a route i used to take home every night. it is definitely a scary ride, especially late at night. people tend to drive very fast on that road. i only know one of the guys involved - he wasn't hurt.

andy is pictured on the right, in the white shirt.

http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/2013...g-hit-and-run/

Two cyclists injured, one killed by second driver in drunken early morning hit-and-run

I've just gotten word from the LAPD that a bike rider was killed, and two others injured in a hit-and-run early this morning.

Or rather, the victim most likely died because the driver failed to stop at the scene as required by law and basic human decency.

According to the press release, 28-year old Los Angeles resident Ulises Melgar, 30-year old Mario Lopez of Bellflower and 21-year old Bell Flower resident Luis 'Andy' Garcia were riding east on Cesar Chavez Avenue at Mission Road with two other bicyclists at approximately 2:45 am Saturday.

They were rear-ended by an eastbound 2013 Toyota Corolla driven by 21-year old Wendy Villegas, knocking all three off their bikes and into the street.

Villegas fled the scene, leaving her victims lying in the street. She drove to her home, where she told her parents she'd been in a collision, and asked them to call the police.

Unfortunately, it was too late.

Just moments after Villegas ran away, 21-year old Jimmy Marroquin was driving east on Cesar Chavez in a 1994 Nissan Quest. He didn't see Garcia lying in the roadway and struck him with his SUV, dragging his body a short distance.

Had Villegas stayed at the scene, she could have directed other drivers around the people lying in the street until they could move or help could arrive. Ot at the very least, Marroquin would have been more likely to see the collision and drive more carefully around it.

Garcia was pronounced dead at the scene. Whether he could have survived the initial collision if he hadn't been struck a second time is a matter of speculation.

However, the other two victims only suffered minor injuries, which suggests that his injuries might have been survivable. Lopez was treated by paramedics at the scene, while Melgar was taken to the ER at USC Medical Center.

Meanwhile, Villegas confessed to police that she had been drinking and left the scene of the collision. She was booked for hit-and-run resulting in injury or death (CVC 20001(a)) and vehicular manslaughter while under the influence (Penal Code 191.5).

In other words, police investigators are blaming her for Garcia's death.

The collision is still under investigation. Anyone with information is urged to contact Central Traffic Detective M. Kaden at (213) 972-1837 or Officer R. Cortez at (213) 972-1846; or call the Central Traffic Division's Watch Commander at (213) 972-1853 during the weekend or off hours.

This is the 66th bicycling fatality in Southern California this year, and the 28th in Los Angeles County; that compares to 23 in the county for all of last year. It is also the 12th biking death in the City of Los Angeles, compared to five in each of the last year two years.

That's nearly two-and-a-half times the city's cycling death toll for 2011 and 2012, with over three months left in the year.

And horrifyingly, nine of those 12 deaths have been hit-and-runs.

My prayers and deepest sympathy for Luis 'Andy' Garcia and his loved ones.

Thanks to LAPD Central Traffic bike liaison Sgt. Laszlo Sandor for the heads-up.

Update: There are a number of rumors swirling around this case. According to reports, instead of turning herself in, the second driver followed Villegas home and reported her to the police after watching her get out of the car stumbling drunk.

In a second version, there were three vehicles that hit Garcia; the third was reportedly a Metro van, or possibly an official Metro vehicle, which followed Villegas to her home after hitting Garcia.

After checking with the LAPD, both of those versions appear to be untrue. The only vehicles involved in the collision were those driven by Villegas, who fled the scene, and Marroquin, who stopped after hitting Garcia.

Marroquin did not follow Villegas to her home; if he had, he would have committed hit-and-run, regardless of his intentions in following her. And so far, there is no credible report that there was a Metro vehicle present at the time of the collision, let alone that it was involved in the wreck or that the driver tracked her to her home.

I've also been told that one of the victims suffered a broken back as a result of the collision, which I have been unable to confirm with the LAPD. They're looking into it for me, but so far say both other victims suffered minor injuries.

In addition, reports are that it was actually Melgar who was treated and released at the scene, while Lopez was taken to the hospital; he's the one who reportedly has a broken back.

There will be a memorial service for Andy Garcia Tuesday, September 17th.

the midnight ridazz ride in peace andy thread:

http://www.midnightridazz.com/forums...=19002&pgnum=1

another article:

http://la.streetsblog.org/2013/09/18...in-an-instant/

ghost bikes website: http://ghostbikes.org/

i wasn't quite sure where to post this, but i decided to put it here because often times in these situations, we are looking for more information... luckily, in this case, the person was caught straight away. other times, we are not so lucky. if someone wants to make an actual article, go right ahead.

please, please, please! don't drink and drive. don't let others drink and drive. report drunk drivers. watch for cyclists and share the road!

ride in peace andy.
    Last edited by animosity; 09-18-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: remove ?'s
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I'm glad the guy you knew, and the other one, weren't hurt. The rest is just disturbing. I've been afraid of riding my bike on the road ever since my swim teacher (when I was 10) was hit and killed by a drunk driver, on his bike, on his way home from work.

My boyfriend was hit on his bike by some idiot in May. Fortunately, he wasn't badly injured, although his knee is all kinds of fucked up. It happened while he was riding to work. This kind of thing is my worst nightmare for him, because he bikes to work daily in L.A. Fortunately, he's started using the L.A river bike path so he bypasses most of the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverintheflux View Post
    I'm glad the guy you knew, and the other one, weren't hurt. The rest is just disturbing. I've been afraid of riding my bike on the road ever since my swim teacher (when I was 10) was hit and killed by a drunk driver, on his bike, on his way home from work.
    for commuting, the road is the only way to go... it's actually safer too, but only if you know how to ride well and can keep a decent speed. these guys are all great riders. they had their lights, reflectors and helmets. i guess sometimes you just have bad luck. it was late at night and the girl was drunk. makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    My boyfriend was hit on his bike by some idiot in May. Fortunately, he wasn't badly injured, although his knee is all kinds of fucked up. It happened while he was riding to work. This kind of thing is my worst nightmare for him, because he bikes to work daily in L.A. Fortunately, he's started using the L.A river bike path so he bypasses most of the traffic.
    Good on him. I can't imagine you having to worry about him all the time on the roads.

i love the river path! such a nice ride... i was only hit once, from behind. just tapped, but it was an ass hole who came up fast, honking, basically trying to be a dick. the hit didn't actually hurt me, but because i was looking back, terrified, i ran myself into the curb and flew. the ass hole didn't stop, of course and i popped my tube and bent my rim.

i have been doored though. it suuuuuuucks. on main roads, i take a lane but this was on a residential. the lady asked if she should call an ambulance i said no so she just left me laying in the street trying to get my wind to go to her party or where ever she was heading. i wrote a lovely note explaining that what she did was a hit and run and that i took her license plate number in case i have any injuries or damages but i never heard from her.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    i love the river path! such a nice ride... i was only hit once, from behind. just tapped, but it was an ass hole who came up fast, honking, basically trying to be a dick. the hit didn't actually hurt me, but because i was looking back, terrified, i ran myself into the curb and flew. the ass hole didn't stop, of course and i popped my tube and bent my rim.

i have been doored though. it suuuuuuucks. on main roads, i take a lane but this was on a residential. the lady asked if she should call an ambulance i said no so she just left me laying in the street trying to get my wind to go to her party or where ever she was heading. i wrote a lovely note explaining that what she did was a hit and run and that i took her license plate number in case i have any injuries or damages but i never heard from her.
    Yeah, he's been hit twice now in the past two years. The first time he was ok but his bike was ruined. This time he was fucked up but his bike was ok. He'd JUST bought it, too, the day before, to replace his stolen bike.

They took him to L.A County and that place...holy shit. I went to pick him up and they'd told him to wait outside. He was covered in blood and filth, and still had the pulse taking stickers attached to him.

Yeah, he's been hit twice now in the past two years. The first time he was ok but his bike was ruined. This time he was fucked up but his bike was ok. He'd JUST bought it, too, the day before, to replace his stolen bike.

They took him to L.A County and that place...holy shit. I went to pick him up and they'd told him to wait outside. He was covered in blood and filth, and still had the pulse taking stickers attached to him.
    lol. fucking county. why on earth would they make him wait outside? LA is definitely still not safe for cyclists, but it is way better than it was when i started riding out there.

for commuting, the road is the only way to go... it's actually safer too, but only if you know how to ride well and can keep a decent speed. these guys are all great riders. they had their lights, reflectors and helmets. i guess sometimes you just have bad luck. it was late at night and the girl was drunk. makes me sick.
    I am not this brave, period. The lawyer I worked for was hit on his bike twice in one year. Vegas drivers are terrible.

Man, I would ride a bike to work everyday just to save money. However, that's impossible in H-town.

I am not this brave, period. The lawyer I worked for was hit on his bike twice in one year. Vegas drivers are terrible.
    haha. the previous mayor of LA was hit by a car on his bike while in office.

eta: i guess that's not funny.

haha. the previous mayor of LA was hit by a car on his bike while in office.
    eta: i guess that's not funny.
    Depends on how badly he was hurt In my boss's case, both drivers were sober. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

Depends on how badly he was hurt In my boss's case, both drivers were sober. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.
    would not want to ride a bike in vegas. i don't even like to drive there.

I used to ride my bike into work everyday until I got hit by a car a couple of years ago. It was a taxi, smashed me against the kerb and I despite flying off I managed to damage nothing. He sped off anyway, classy. I'd seen a guy knocked off his bike a few days earlier who was badly hurt so that was the straw that broke the camels back and I decided to knock it on the head.

We actually have a real problem in Britain at the moment due to Wiggins and Froome winning the Tour De France as lots of people with no biking experience or road safety are taking it up and causing all sorts of havoc..at least I've noticed that over the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetleftpeg View Post
    I used to ride my bike into work everyday until I got hit by a car a couple of years ago. It was a taxi, smashed me against the kerb and I despite flying off I managed to damage nothing. He sped off anyway, classy. I'd seen a guy knocked off his bike a few days earlier who was badly hurt so that was the straw that broke the camels back and I decided to knock it on the head.

We actually have a real problem in Britain at the moment due to Wiggins and Froome winning the Tour De France as lots of people with no biking experience or road safety are taking it up and causing all sorts of havoc..at least I've noticed that over the last year.
    i've noticed something similar in LA. there's been a huge rise in bike culture. i daresay people learn some bad habits while participating in group rides - weaving through cars, passing on the right, blowing lights...

bikes, at least here, are considered vehicles and people are encouraged to ride on streets with traffic. it's very strange to me that while we are encouraged to ride in the streets with giant death machines, no training is provided to make sure everyone comes out alive. there is no easy solution. no one wants to have to register as a commuter and take classes on riding in traffic. cities don't plan for cyclists. driving schools don't focus on cyclist rights.

but most of the deaths occur because of drunks, i think. before i left LA there was an accident involving 13 cyclists. some drunk chick straight plowed into a giant group of like 30, injuring several people i know. i'm pretty sure that one girl was in a coma and ended up with brain damage. there might have been a guy killed or otherwise seriously injured.

although the woman had been drinking and may have been texting while going around a blind curve. the cops and media went to work speculating that it may have been the riders' fault because they found 'beer bottles and condoms' in the surrounding area.

the woman was recently sentenced to just 1 year in jail...

http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/2013...-13-collision/

We have these in Albuquerque....I drive by at least four on my way to work. They are amazingly beautiful and sad.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; They listen with the intent to reply." ~ anonymous
    "Keep calm and sing Soft Kitty"
    "it is what it is!"

last night, the high desert's first ghost bike went up about 3 miles from where i live.

my mom called to tell me she passed by it and it was beautiful and gut-wrenching and that she had the chills. sounds like it's doing it's job so far.

RIP Arnold.

A 10-year-old boy's bicycle lies on the sidewalk after being struck by a silver Kia SUV on Main Street on Thursday night. (Screen shot courtesy of Jose Gonzalez)
    By STAFF REPORTS
    Posted Aug. 15, 2014 @ 10:02 am
    Updated Aug 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM

HESPERIA — A 10-year-old boy died Thursday night after he was struck by a vehicle while riding a bicycle at the intersection of Main Street and Third Avenue, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff-Coroner Department.

Authorities said Sheriff’s deputies and San Bernardino County firefighters responded to the location just after 8:45 p.m. and found Arnold Covarrubias, 10, with trauma to the upper and lower body.

Sheriff’s officials said investigators determined that Hesperia male was the driver of a westbound silver Kia SUV on Main Street approaching the intersection of Third Avenue. Investigators determined that Arnold was riding his bicycle eastbound on the north sidewalk area of Main Street when he suddenly attempted to cross Main Street against a red traffic signal.

Sheriff’s officials said the Kia proceeded through the intersection on a green traffic signal and struck Arnold as he rode in front of his vehicle.

Investigators believe there had been a stray dog in the area that may have also entered the intersection, and that the boy’s attention was focused on that dog when he began to cross.

Paramedics transported Arnold to Desert Valley Hospital where he was pronounced dead of his injuries at 9:35 p.m., according to a Coroner’s release.

Main Street and Third Avenue were closed in all directions until about 2 a.m. Friday while investigators processed the scene for evidence.

Authorities said speed and alcohol didn’t appear to be a factor and the Kia driver was cooperative with investigators.

The Coroner’s office said an autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death. The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department’s Major Accident Investigation Team was investigating the incident.

Authorities ask anyone with information or anyone who may have witnessed the collision to contact Deputy Simon DeMuri from the Hesperia Station at 760-947-1500.

- See more at: http://www.vvdailypress.com/article/....ntrEew3N.dpuf

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    There's been a few in Pasadena. I've helped Danny out keeping an eye on bikes that get taken down and actually lately they've been getting stolen

One bike was only up for TWO DAYS and ended up stolen! Who fucking does that? Anyway, I think it's an excellent program. A great reminder that you can't take it back if you drive like a dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    There's been a few in Pasadena. I've helped Danny out keeping an eye on bikes that get taken down and actually lately they've been getting stolen

One bike was only up for TWO DAYS and ended up stolen! Who fucking does that? Anyway, I think it's an excellent program. A great reminder that you can't take it back if you drive like a dick.
    from what i can remember, they do their best to make sure they are not able to be ridden. they often leave the cranks off, use old, broken parts, wheels with missing spokes and no tubes, no brake components.

people who are stealing them, i suspect, are residents of the area who hate memorials because they are terrible people.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    They do make them so that they are missing all of the pertinent parts to make them worth anything so yes, it's assholes taking them down just to take them down. It's terrible.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

age ten. it's a kids bike.

from what i can remember, they do their best to make sure they are not able to be ridden. they often leave the cranks off, use old, broken parts, wheels with missing spokes and no tubes, no brake components.

people who are stealing them, i suspect, are residents of the area who hate memorials because they are terrible people.
    Could be.
    They are not all doing it for evil purposes tho. My neighbors had a car run off into their yard and hit a tree. Killed an 18 year old boy. People came up in their yard and started a huge memorial for him by the tree. The homeowners left it there for months...but they slowly started to move the memorial down by the road so people would quit coming on their property. It started a huge war in the newspaper. The homeowners said they were told by the homeowner's insurance company that the memorial could not remain there. The insurance company didn't want to be responsible if somebody got hurt coming to the memorial tree. This happened years ago, but now there is a very small section by the road that has a memorial on it. That small section is considered owned by the city.

Do y'all have bike trails in your cities? We have 100's of miles of them everywhere. There is one of those "ghost" bikes up at a section. It's eerie to see. If I remember, I will take a picture next time I go by.

I do like the idea of the ghost bike as it reminds both drivers and cyclists of the consequences of bad driving/bike safety. Some other memorials I'm not so keen on. We had a local guy a few years ago who was showing off riding a motorbike illegally around the streets with no safety gear and at high speed. What happens? He smashes into a fence and kills himself. This must of been 10 years ago I reckon, and there is still a huge way over the top memorial of flowers,bears etc by the side of the road. You might say it's a good thing, as it's a daily reminder of his stupidity to others. But I know it isn't. From what I read in the local press at the time the family were portraying him as some sort of hero and you just know that when the local kids ask about the memorial around there they're going to be told he was some sort of local legend. He was an idiot, and I really wish they would take it away.

this happened today in front of the bike coop i used to volunteer with.

http://ktla.com/2015/06/26/bicyclist...highland-park/

An alleged hit-and-run driver who struck and killed a bicyclist in Highland Park early Friday morning has been arrested, LAPD officials said.

Two bicyclists were crossing a marked crosswalk near North Figueroa Street and Marmion Way (map) when one was was fatally hit around 3:02 a.m., Los Angeles Police Department officials said.

Witnesses told officials the vehicle was traveling around 80 mph when it struck the man, who was described as being in his early-to mid-20s.

“We’re thinking in the neighborhood of 80 mph, according to witnesses,” Capt. Jess Bert said. “That vehicle continued northbound, lost its bumper … but it dragged the deceased man’s body several hundred feet up the street and then continued going.”

A driver was arrested, according to LAPD Officer Jack Richter. Details of the arrest were expected to be provided at a 2 p.m. police news conference.

A black bumper was left lying in the road, video showed.

The fleeing vehicle had been described as black, possibly being a Nissan sedan, Sgt. Frank Gonzalez said.

One witness said she thought the driver would stop.

“When the car just came, he was really, really fast,” witness Judy Lara said. “He just hit the guy. I was thinking he was going to stop. He never stopped.”

North Figueroa Street was closed between Marmion Way and East Avenue 39 during the investigation.

Some 50,000 to 60,000 vehicles drive through the area daily, investigators said.

Figueroa Street has been a particular concern for cyclists since L.A. City Councilman Gil Cedillo, who represents Highland Park, last summer brought a halt to city-planned northbound and southbound bike lanes on a 3-mile stretch of the busy roadway. Cedillo, who said he was concerned bikes lanes would slow emergency vehicle response times, has been a target of some outspoken cycling activists since then.

Reaction to the fatal crash was angry on the Facebook group Figueroa for All, which has advocated for the bike lanes.

Motorists were advised to avoid the intersections, which are located near the 110 Freeway.

KTLA’s Geoff Peters and Melissa Pamer contributed to this report.

Correction: An earlier version of this article provided the wrong last name for the LAPD captain. The story has been updated.
    ride in peace.

Oh my god, that is like, right around the corner from me.

My fiance rides his bike to work every day. He's already been hit a couple of years ago.

This scares the shit out of me.

Thread Information