Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnathan Ferrell, NC Cop Kills Unarmed FAMU Footballer Looking For Help After MVA

Johnathan Ferrell, NC Cop Kills Unarmed FAMU Footballer Looking For Help After MVA

The Charlotte Observer reports:

A North Carolina police officer who fatally shot an unarmed man searching for help after a car accident has just been charged with voluntary manslaughter.

The victim, Jonathan Ferrell, was 24 and a former football player at FAMU. He crashed his car down an embankment about 2:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, and then knocked on the door of a nearby residence looking for help, according to officials.

Ferrell found his way to the nearest house and urgently knocked for help.

Ferrell apparently walked to the nearest house, about a half-mile from the accident, and was ?banging on the door viciously,? Monroe said. The woman who lives there thought the man at her door was her husband coming home late from work. But when she saw Ferrell instead, she shut the door and called police because she thought he was trying to rob her.

Officers received a call shortly after 2:30 a.m. about an attempted break-in at a residence in the 7500 block of Reedy Creek Road.

And then things got really bad.

The three officers from the Hickory Grove division who responded to the scene came across a man matching the description of the possible suspect, and they surrounded him. The man ?immediately charged? at the police, Monroe said. Officer Thornell Little unsuccessfully fired his Taser at Ferrell, who continued to run toward them, police said in a statement. Kerrick then fired several rounds at Ferrell, who was shot multiple times and pronounced dead at the scene, police said. Monroe said Ferrell was unarmed. The chief did not think he was trying to rob the woman, saying, ?I don?t believe threats were made.?

The site reports:

The police investigation found ?the shooting of Mr. Ferrell was excessive,? authorities said in a statement late Saturday. ?Our investigation has shown that Officer Kerrick did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter.?

The evidence showed that Ferrell advanced on the officer but the subsequent shooting of Ferrell was completely ?excessive? and violated the law regarding voluntary manslaughter, according to police.

Officer Randall Kerrick turned himself in to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff?s Office on Saturday evening and has been charged with voluntary manslaughter.
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-18-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Charlotte police kill ex-FAMU player who may have been running to them for help By Jessica King

(CNN) -- Police in North Carolina shot and killed a man running toward them Saturday morning -- but he may have just been looking for help after a car wreck.

Officers responded to a "breaking and entering" 911 call at a home in Charlotte.

The homeowner told dispatchers that a man had been knocking on her door repeatedly.

Police say that when they got to the scene, a man matching the caller's description ran toward them.

One of the officers fired his stun gun, but it was "unsuccessful." Another officer then opened fire, police said.

Jonathan Ferrell died at the scene. He was shot several times.

He was unarmed.

Police now believe Ferrell was seeking assistance after crashing his car.

Officer Randall Kerrick is charged withvoluntary manslaughter in the shooting of Jonathan Ferrell.

The crash

Ferrell was 24 and a former football player at Florida A&M University.

Police found a wrecked car nearby, indicating that he may have been trying to get help.

"It was a pretty serious accident," Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Rodney Monroe told CNN affiliate WSOC.

The crash was so severe that authorities now believe Ferrell had to climb out of the back window, affiliate WBTV reported.

He ran to the closest house for help.

The woman inside thought it was her husband.

"To her surprise, it was an individual that she did not know or recognize," Monroe told WBTV. "She immediately closed the door, hit her panic alarm, called 911."

The man stood outside and "continued to attempt to gain the attention of the homeowner," a police statement said.

The shooting

Police have charged Officer Randall Kerrick with voluntary manslaughter -- a felony. He turned himself in Saturday afternoon and was released Sunday on $50,000 bond.

Police used "charged" and "ran" and "advanced" in their description of what Ferrell did.

There were three officers at the scene, but Kerrick was the only one to use a gun.

He fired several times, police said.
    "The evidence revealed that Mr. Ferrell did advance on Officer Kerrick and the investigation showed that the subsequent shooting of Mr. Ferrell was excessive," police said in another statement issued late Saturday night. "Our investigation has shown that Officer Kerrick did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter. "

All three officers have been placed on paid leave.

A charge of voluntary manslaughter means the person used excessive force in self-defense, or carried out the act without intent to kill.

Police called the incident "unfortunate."

"It has devastated a family as well as caused a great deal of sadness and anxiety in our organization," a statement said.

Kerrick's first court appearance is scheduled for Monday at 1:30 p.m., the Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office said.

"In every case, the District Attorney's Office evaluates the evidence available and works to achieve a fair and just outcome," the office said in a statement.

Times Square shooting: Police wound 2 bystanders by mistake

The reaction

Friends expressed grief on social media, calling Ferrell a "brother" and demanding "justice."

He had at least one brother, Willie, who played with him at Florida A&M.

The university said it was "deeply saddened" at the loss. In a statement, Michael Smith, interim athletic director, said Ferrell played safety and was part of the 2010 championship team. "Our hearts and prayers go out to his family during their time of bereavement," Smith said.

Ferrell was engaged.

"We loved him. Our family loved him," his fiancee's mother told WSOC.

He would have turned 25 next month.

This is so sad and sickening at the same time. This young man was looking for help after a serious car accident. WTF happened to protect and serve? And honestly people in the Carolinas should be more afraid of the Ernest.T. Bass looking fucks that are everywhere instead of freaking over a man of color at the damn door. This story really makes me embarrassed to be white.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

And what did he do to warrant arms being drawn?

He existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by queenaevadamthng View Post
    This is so sad and sickening at the same time. This young man was looking for help after a serious car accident. WTF happened to protect and serve? And honestly people in the Carolinas should be more afraid of the Ernest.T. Bass looking fucks that are everywhere instead of freaking over a man of color at the damn door. This story really makes me embarrassed to be white.
    This. I am so ashamed I am in NC.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Not what cops are for.

And burglars knock on the front door now? Haha. Wow.
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 09-16-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I bet the lady who called the cops feels like an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by becoming View Post
    Why?

I really hope she feels extremely shitty.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

Why should she feel shitty? she didn't know he was in a car accident !!

sad story though.

I really hope she feels extremely shitty.
    Gotta disagree here. I can't fault her at all, I would have done the EXACT same thing in her position. If someone is banging on my door at 2:30am, and I think it's my husband so I open the door and find someone else standing there?! Aw hell no. Black, white, male, female, I would have done exactly what she did. Not her fault at ALL, it's all on the trigger happy over zealous Barney fucking Fife cop.

Exactly, debk.

You guys call the cops every time someone unexpected shows up? You don't live in a city.

I think the cops thought he was a zombie.

You guys call the cops every time someone unexpected shows up? You don't live in a city.
    At 2:30am? While I'm home alone? And they're frantically trying to get in my house and I have no idea why? You bet yer ass I do.

Dude, this was North Carolina. I'm sure a break in=black man rang her doorbell.

You know I live in NC too right?

Still, I don't fault her, she had no idea the cops were gonna shoot this poor kid in her yard.

I've also watched an absurd amount of ID Discovery where people have faked accidents to get into someone's home to use their phone and BAM! You end up raped and murdered.

My old hometown newspaper, which is based about 10 minutes from this area, isn't reporting on this at all. Funny though, they're currently reporting on a local county politician whose number one priority is cracking down on the <10% food stamp fraud in the county.

I am ashamed of this state but that's nothing new.

My sister, that lives 2 blocks away, calls me every time she hears a noise outside.

I blame TV.

Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    I am ashamed of this state but that's nothing new.
    Me too.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Yikes, add me to the team who doesn't hope she feels like an asshole, shit. I'm sure she does, though. But pretty sure this was the last thing she envisioned.

Definitely won't argue the cop was out of line- but wtf was he doing, charging them?
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

And these are the same people who are like "HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T HAVE 4 GUNS PER FAMILY MEMBER!?!? "

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    Yikes, add me to the team who doesn't hope she feels like an asshole, shit. I'm sure she does, though. But pretty sure this was the last thing she envisioned.

Definitely won't argue the cop was out of line- but wtf was he doing, charging them?
    You're kidding right?
    That's their story.....too bad we can't hear from the victim, eh?

He was injured and waving his hands for help.

This is literally the end scene in Night of The Living Dead.

Oh God.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    And these are the same people who are like "HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T HAVE 4 GUNS PER FAMILY MEMBER!?!? "

You're kidding right?
    That's their story.....too bad we can't hear from the victim, eh?
    Eh, the guy that said it is the same guy that said his employee is a murderer, so I considered it pretty trustworthy, but you're right.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    Eh, the guy that said it is the same guy that said his employee is a murderer, so I considered it pretty trustworthy, but you're right.
    Has a cop EVER said "I made a mistake. This person was unarmed and not much of a threat."?

Seriously asking. Cause I just don't see it happening.

Thread Information