Thread: Meshell Will (38) was found dead and an investigation is ongoing

Meshell Will (38) was found dead and an investigation is ongoing

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2014...ion_is_ongoing

Investigators with the Pennington County Sheriff?s Office identified the remains of a woman found off of Iron Mountain Road on Aug. 31.

The decomposed body of Meshell Will, 38, of Custer, was identified through fingerprints.

Autopsy results are pending further forensic testing.

Will was last seen on Aug. 24. Investigators from the Pennington County Sheriff?s Office, Rapid City Police Department, Custer County Sheriff?s Office and the Division of Criminal Investigation are continuing to investigate any leads relative to her whereabouts since that time.

Authorities are encouraging anyone who may have seen Wills on or after August 24 to call 394-6115 or 394-4134. Anonymous tips can also be sent by texting ?RCPD? and the information to 847411.

This investigation is continuing.

http://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news/...9bb2963f4.html
    Last edited by Olivia; 01-13-2014 at 01:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

On Aug. 24, Meshell Will sent a text message to her sister, Amanda Dillon, telling her she was headed to Keystone and would talk to her later.

It was the last time Dillon would ever hear from her sister.

A week later, on Aug. 31, Will’s decomposed body was found just off Iron Mountain Road by a tourist who was taking pictures in that area. The body was found near mile post 54, in a wooded area between the higher and lower part of the road near one of the road’s famous “pigtail”?��bridges.

Will, 38, had just moved to Custer in April from Killeen, Texas, yearning to escape a troubled past and find happiness through small town life.

“She has always been a really wild, free spirit,”?��Dillon said. “She was very independent and did what she wanted to do when she wanted to do it.”

Dillon paid for her sister to ride a bus to Custer and start her new life. After initially living with her sister and then a brief stay in the Women Escaping A Violent Environment (W.E.A.V.E.) shelter, Will moved into Valley-Hi Apartments and got a job as a waitress at the Wrangler Restaurant.

Will was falling in love with small-town life, and Dillon said her sister was especially amazed when the Wrangler closed the morning of the first day of school to allow the employees to take their children to school.

“She was so happy with small- town life. She was impressed with the way people cared here,” she said.?��“She really loved her job and she loved the people. She wasn’t really good about staying at one job for a long time, but when I talked to her on the phone, she couldn’t say anything bad about it.”

Will was born in Wisconsin and grew up in the Twin Cities of Minnesota with Dillon and their other sister, Melissa. When Will was a sophomore she moved back to Wisconsin with her mother, and finished high school in Harford, Wis. After high school, she went right to work, always waitressing or painting homes with her aunt, Sue.

As a child, Dillon said her sister, the middle child, was very sensitive and emotional, did well in school and loved to talk. Whenever the three sisters did something they wanted to tell their mom about, Will made sure she was the first through the door to blurt out the news.

“She was the town crier,” Dillon said.

After her sister arrived in Custer, Dillon took her to all the local tourist destinations and Will also enjoyed spending hours just enjoying nature.

“She liked nature and being in a quiet place,” Dillon said.?��“That was one side of her. The other side was always wanting to be really social, get out and meet people.”

Will started at the Wrangler Restaurant just before the summer season kicked off.

“She was a nice gal,” said Steve Blume, owner. “It’s a really sad situation.”

Donna Talley, a friend of Will, agrees.

“She was kind of shy, but she was a sweet person,” she said. “She had a lot of friends. She loved her friends and family. She will be missed.”

Talley said Will did a lot of volunteer work at the W.E.A.V.E. shelter and helped out whenever she could.

“She was a very hard worker and really loved to help in any way she could,” she said. “I miss her smile.”

While authorities investigate into the case further, Talley is concerned for others in the community.

“I think other women could be in danger until this person is arrested. Women need to lock their cars and lock their doors and be careful who they accept rides from,” she said. “I hope whoever hurt her is found and she gets justice. Most of all I want justice for her.”

Dillon said she didn’t realize her sister was missing because it wasn’t out of the ordinary for Will to disappear for weeks at a time.

“She had a free spirit. I wouldn’t hear from her for weeks,” she said.?��“I didn’t think (not hearing from her) was anything irregular.”

When Will’s body was found, she was badly decomposed, wearing a T-shirt and capri-style sweat pants. Her identification was confirmed through fingerprints. She had been reported missing four days earlier, Aug. 27, by her coworkers at the Wrangler.

Dillon said she isn’t exactly sure how her sister ended up in her final resting place, but knows she didn’t get there by herself. She said her sister did not have a driver’s license, did not have a car and hadn’t driven in eight years.

“Somebody took her there,”?��she said.?��“I?�� don’t know why.”

Dillon said her sister’s carefree attitude often led to her picking “bad boys” to date and frequently put her in environments that would seem dangerous to the average person.

“She didn’t really have a fear mechanism. She didn’t have that thing in the back of her head that said, ‘don’t do that,’” Dillon said.?��“It was really hard listening to her in the environment and places she had been, knowing how dangerous they are. It didn’t phase her, like she was used to it.”

It is Dillon’s belief that someone put her sister where she was found on Iron Mountain Road. She said while she doesn’t want anyone innocent to be convicted, she hopes law enforcement finds out who did what to her sister.

“The police are keeping me informed,”?��she said.?��“We have a lot of unanswered questions.”

Will leaves behind two sons, Adam, 14, and Steven, 13, who live with their father in Illinois.

Authorities are not releasing many details of the ongoing investigation, which is being handled by the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation and Pennington County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Custer County Sheriff’s Department and Rapid City Police Department.

Custer County Sheriff’s Department investigator Steve McMillin declined to say if the case is being treated as a homicide, saying that determination wouldn’t be made until the cause of death is determined, which could take weeks or months.

“Right now, it’s being treated as a death,” he said.

Custer County Sheriff Rick Wheeler said it is too early in the investigation to speculate on where the case will eventually go and if any charges will be filed.

“We have a lot of things to tie up,”?��he said. “We’re in the initial stages.”

A memorial service for Will will be held this Saturday at Harbach Park at 2 p.m. Dillon said the gathering will be informal and will serve as a way for Will’s friends and family to honor her.

“She’s not going to be forgotten and just be a news story,”?��Dillon said.

Investigators encourage anyone who may have seen Will around the time she disappeared to call 394-6115 or 394-4134. Anonymous tips may also be sent by texting “RCPD” and then the infor

http://www.custercountynews.com/cms/...ry-694398.html

The police dept has a facebook page. It seems from what the locals are saying....Meshell came up missing right when they had the Sturgis bike thing going on.
    https://www.facebook.com/Pennington.county.so

Here was the initial posting before they identified her.

Update: Unidentified Body Investigation

Pennington County, S.D.- An autopsy was conducted Sept. 5 on the decomposed female body located off Iron Mountain Road on August 31. It is estimated the woman was of middle age, possibly 40-60 years old, 5?8? to 5?9? tall, with shoulder-length brunette or auburn hair.

The woman was found wearing a T-shirt and capri-style sweatpants. Her race could not be confirmed, however she was possibly Caucasian. Based on the condition of the body, the date of death is approximated at sometime in the last month. The preliminary results of the autopsy were inconclusive at this time pending further forensic testing.

Investigators have submitted partial fingerprints and potential DNA samples to regional and national data bases for comparison. In addition, investigators have reviewed local missing person investigations and do not believe this case is related to any of those.

The Pennington County Sheriff?s Office and Rapid City Police Department encourage anyone who may have information regarding the woman?s identity to contact law enforcement authorities at 394-6115 or 394-4134. Anonymous tips can also be sent by texting ?RCPD? and the information to 847411.

This investigation is continuing.
    Then here is the other towns police facebook page. Some more interesting comments from the locals. The police there actually respond to questions asked about the rate of Meshell's decomposing body and why her body could be so badly decomposed within a few days.
    https://www.facebook.com/RapidCityPD?hc_location=stream

One of her friends also responds to somebody's question about how come nobody reported her missing.
    Dixie Neiffer Not every one is into face book and yes she had friends in custer and we did ask about her
    https://www.facebook.com/RapidCityPD?hc_location=stream

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    The police dept has a facebook page. It seems from what the locals are saying....Meshell came up missing right when they had the Sturgis bike thing going on.
    Nah. The Rally was pretty much done. I think the last official day was 8/11.

If she didn't drive she didn't end up on Iron Mt. Road by herself unless she was very fit. I'd be looking for whoever caused her to end up in
    After initially living with her sister and then a brief stay in the Women Escaping A Violent Environment (W.E.A.V.E.) shelter,
    in the domestic violence shelter.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Nah. The Rally was pretty much done. I think the last official day was 8/11.

If she didn't drive she didn't end up on Iron Mt. Road by herself unless she was very fit. I'd be looking for whoever caused her to end up in

in the domestic violence shelter.
    Sad. yes, her sister talks about how Meshell had a bad habit of picking bad boys.

I think they were talking about Sturgis before it was known who the body was.

From what I read about that area, there were a couple of girls missing/dead around those times, so maybe that's why everybody assumed this lady was with the Sturgis crowd. Plus, the newspaper reports said the body was badly decomposed.

Here's another article about a dead lady found during the Sturgis event.
    http://rapidcityjournal.com/sturgisr...edaedb78a.html
    Plus there was that huge sex trafficking story.
    http://www.ksfy.com/story/23138117/9...torcycle-rally

Sad. yes, her sister talks about how Meshell had a bad habit of picking bad boys.

I think they were talking about Sturgis before it was known who the body was.

From what I read about that area, there were a couple of girls missing/dead around those times, so maybe that's why everybody assumed this lady was with the Sturgis crowd. Plus, the newspaper reports said the body was badly decomposed.

Here's another article about a dead lady found during the Sturgis event.
    http://rapidcityjournal.com/sturgisr...edaedb78a.html
    Plus there was that huge sex trafficking story.
    http://www.ksfy.com/story/23138117/9...torcycle-rally
    It's not uncommon for there to be deaths of all kinds during the rally. After all, for that 7=10 days a town of 6000 grows to 450,000-650,000 and that's just in Sturgis... Every rally there are a number of accidents, heart attacks, od's, and often a co2 death or 3. I would guess the lady in the tent was one of those. I've heard nothing of any suspicion of foul play. The sex trafficking thing mainly involves scum bags that bring runaway teenagers up to dance and and whore around. It's the sort of thing that gives prostitution a bad name. But unrelated to Meshell I suspect. She was waaay too old for these creeps.

The case that may line up more closely is http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...rine+Tornquist

If it turns out that Catherine's son didn't kill her? Then there'd be a lot of similarities between the victims, their locations, etc... But everyone seems pretty convinced it was the son.

ETA: Many people around here would like to blame every bad thing that happens on the rally. No body around here would do those bad things. ya know?
    Last edited by puzzld; 09-23-2013 at 06:29 AM.

On Aug. 24, Meshell Will sent a text message to her sister, Amanda Dillon, telling her she was headed to Keystone and would talk to her later.

It was the last time Dillon would ever hear from her sister.

A week later, on Aug. 31, Will?s decomposed body was found just off Iron Mountain Road...
    So she was headed to Keystone, which my handy Mapquest tells me is 22 to 25 miles from Custer, depending on which route you take. Wouldn't she have to have access to a car to get there? Unless there is a bus that goes there, since Keystone is a tourist town...do a lot of tourists stay in Custer when they're sightseeing and take daytrips to Keystone/Mt. Rushmore? And does anyone (puzzld) know where Iron Mt. Road is in relation to Custer and Keystone?

And Berm, TY for the update! I looked for info on her when this happened and couldn't find a thing. Good work.

Keystone sounds nifty! from Wikipedia:
    Keystone is a town in the Black Hills region of Pennington County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 337 at the 2010 census. It had its origins in 1883 as a mining town, and has since transformed itself into a resort town, serving the needs of the millions of visitors to Mount Rushmore National Memorial, which is located just beyond city limits.

Among its tourist attractions is the Black Hills Central Railroad, built in 1900 for Black Hills gold. It now operates passenger trains pulled by preserved steam locomotives.

Carrie Ingalls (sister of Little House on the Prairie author Laura Ingalls Wilder) spent a significant part of her adult life there, living with her husband David N. Swanzey and his children. Her sister Mary Ingalls lived with them for a while and died here in 1928.

There are tour buses, but they are expensive, about $70 for the Keystone/Custer loop. Iron Mt. Road basically goes from Keystone to Custer State Park. The Iron Mt Road Rt. is about 40 miles and very narrow and windy, speed limits no more than 30, and if you push it, you'll end up off the road. Yes, tourists will stay in Custer or Keystone and take day trips all around the hills... but most people drive themselves, as public transportation is basically non-existent.

The whole area is very cool, lots of stuff to see and do, old mines, buffalo roundups, hiking, swimming...

The Iron Mt. Rd is beautiful, but very remote.

Iron Mt. Road. Keep in mind that 90% of these bikes are gone after Rally Week.

I found a map--Custer is bottom left, Keystone at top right and the dots are the approx. locations of the 3 pigtail bridges along Iron Mtn. Rd (her body was found near 1 of the pigtail bridges.) So it I'm thinking she made it to Keystone, then down Iron Mtn. Rd just looking at the logistics of it...Iron Mtn. Rd is obviously nowhere near Custer. I wonder how she got to Keystone? Borrowed car? rented? went with someone? They found her body a week after she disappeared...I'm also wondering if there was any DNA found on her and what the cause of death was. I hope her sister is pushing the local cops for answers.

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post

I found a map--Custer is bottom left, Keystone at top right and the dots are the approx. locations of the 3 pigtail bridges along Iron Mtn. Rd (her body was found near 1 of the pigtail bridges.) So it I'm thinking she made it to Keystone, then down Iron Mtn. Rd just looking at the logistics of it...Iron Mtn. Rd is obviously nowhere near Custer. I wonder how she got to Keystone? Borrowed car? rented? went with someone? They found her body a week after she disappeared...I'm also wondering if there was any DNA found on her and what the cause of death was. I hope her sister is pushing the local cops for answers.
    You can go up Iron Mt Rd from Custer to Keystone ( a little shorter than going around to Keystone, then down) but yeah. It'd be a helluva walk. Some crazed souls do bicycle it, but you've got to be pretty ripped. And I haven't heard that she was a power biker. I doubt there's anyplace that would rent a car in Custer or Keystone. I'm guessing that she took a ride from the wrong person.

Sadly, I agree puzz.

I hope like heck there is an update to this story. I want to know what happened to this poor lady.

Yup I think you're right.
    I also found this while poking around...

Kerrville is about 150 miles from Killeen, where her sister said she moved from in April, so the timeline fits. (Killeen is the home of Ft. Hood btw.) I wonder what the story was in TX?

Sadly, I agree puzz.

I hope like heck there is an update to this story. I want to know what happened to this poor lady.
    Me too. I'm sure it'll be updated, even if they don't know anything. It's kind of big news around here.

Law enforcement officials recently executed more search warrants and continue to aggressively investigate the death of Meshell Will, but Custer County Sheriff Rick Wheeler said no arrests have been made in the case, and that Will?s death has still not been officially ruled a homicide.

?We are still putting the pieces of the puzzle together. We don?t have enough to charge anybody right now,? Wheeler said. ?It?s a tough case.?

The case will not be treated as homicide until a cause of death is determined, pending the results of an autopsy. Those results have not been received yet.

Will?s decomposing body was found just off Iron Mountain Road by a tourist who was taking pictures in the area on Aug. 31. The body was found near mile post 54, in a wooded area between the higher and lower part of the road near one of the road?s famous ?pigtail? bridges.

Will, 38, was last heard from Aug. 24, when she texted her sister to tell her she was going to Keystone. She was reported missing three days later.

http://www.custercountynews.com/cms/...ry-694494.html

After months of avoiding labeling the death of Meshell Will of Custer as anything other than ?suspicious,? law enforcement officials have now stated Will?s death is being treated as a criminal investigation.

Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom stopped short of saying Will was murdered, but did said the suspicious death is being treated criminally and that more information into the matter of how Will died should be available within a few weeks after results from some evidence testing being done at the Department of Criminal Investigation (DCI) forensics lab in Pierre are received.

?We have some evidence being processsed and we are doing some forensics in some other areas,? Thom said. ?We are waiting for test results to come back and following up on other leads we have.?

Will?s decomposing body was found just off Iron Mountain Road by a tourist who was taking pictures in the area. The body was found near mile post 54, in a wooded area between the higher and lower part of the road near one of the road?s famous ?pigtail? bridges. Will, 38, was last heard from Aug. 24, when she texted her sister to tell her she was going to Keystone. She was reported missing three days later.

Thom said the newest evidence seized was sent to the DCI lab last week and results from the tests should be available within a few weeks.

?Once we get that done, it will give us a clear direction,? he said.

Although the investigation is being treated as criminal, Thom declined to say whether or not his department or DCI has any suspects in the case.

?We have some strong leads we?re following, but to identify someone publicly would be premature,? he said.

Investigators encourage anyone who many have seen Will around the time she disappeared or have any other information on the case to call 394-6115, 394-4134 or the Custer County Sheriff?s Department at 673-8146. Anonymous tips may also be sent by texting ?RCPD? and then the information to 847411.
    http://www.custercountynews.com/cms/...ry-696954.html

I get so mad that there are very few details.

Death probe ongoing

Published: Thursday, March 13th, 2014

The criminal investigation into the death of Meshell Will of Custer continues, but Pennington County Sheriff?s Department officials say they still have not received key forensics lab work back from the Department of Criminal Investigation lab in Pierre that will shed more light into how Will died.After months of avoiding labeling the death of Will of Custer as anything other than ?suspicious,? law enforcement officials stated in January the case was being treated as a criminal investigation.Willie Whelchel, chief deputy for Pennington County, said investigators continue to conduct interviews and follow leads regarding the case.?We are actively working on it. We have (deputies) working on it every day,? he said. ?We are definitely working hard on it. We?re going to do everything we can to resolve this case.?Whelchel said the forensics tests should be completed by the end of this month.Will?s decomposing body was found just off Iron Mountain Road by a tourist who was taking pictures in the area. The body was found near mile post 54 in a wooded area between the higher and lower parts of the road near one of the road?s famous ?pigtail? bridges.
    The criminal investigation into the death of Meshell Will of Custer continues, but Pennington County Sheriff?s Department officials say they still have not received key forensics lab work back from the Department of Criminal Investigation lab in Pierre that will shed more light into how Will died.

After months of avoiding labeling the death of Will of Custer as anything other than ?suspicious,? law enforcement officials stated in January the case was being treated as a criminal investigation.

Willie Whelchel, chief deputy for Pennington County, said investigators continue to conduct interviews and follow leads regarding the case.

?We are actively working on it. We have (deputies) working on it every day,? he said. ?We are definitely working hard on it. We?re going to do everything we can to resolve this case.?

Whelchel said the forensics tests should be completed by the end of this month.

Will?s decomposing body was found just off Iron Mountain Road by a tourist who was taking pictures in the area. The body was found near mile post 54 in a wooded area between the higher and lower parts of the road near one of the road?s famous ?pigtail? bridges.

-----------------------------

Will investigators ?making progress?

Jason Ferguson
    Published: Thursday, April 10th, 2014

As the investigation into the death of Meshell Will continues, Willie Whelchel, chief deputy for Pennington County, said investigators working the case have made ?good progress? and recently conducted more interviews in Custer.?We have received some more leads and we?re following up on those,? he said. ?We are trying to tie it all together. We are definitely making progress. We have some good leads. We believe we will have a conslusion to this.?Will?s decomposing body was found just off Iron Mountain Road by a tourist who was taking pictures in the area. The body was found near mile post 54 in a wooded area between the higher and lower parts of the road near one of the road?s famous ?pigtail? bridges.Will, 38, was last heard from Aug. 24, when she texted her sister to tell her she was going to Keystone. She was reported missing three days later.Whelchel said the sheriff?s department has received some of the items back it sent to the Department of Criminal Investigation lab in Pierre, but is still awaiting a few more items before a cause of death will be released.?We had seven different things we had them analyze,? he said. ?We do not have a cause of death. We believe when we get this stuff back from the lab, we will have that. I keep hoping any day we are going to get the remainder of it. The lab is a busy place.?
    As the investigation into the death of Meshell Will continues, Willie Whelchel, chief deputy for Pennington County, said investigators working the case have made ?good progress? and recently conducted more interviews in Custer.

?We have received some more leads and we?re following up on those,? he said. ?We are trying to tie it all together. We are definitely making progress. We have some good leads. We believe we will have a conslusion to this.?

Will?s decomposing body was found just off Iron Mountain Road by a tourist who was taking pictures in the area. The body was found near mile post 54 in a wooded area between the higher and lower parts of the road near one of the road?s famous ?pigtail? bridges.

Will, 38, was last heard from Aug. 24, when she texted her sister to tell her she was going to Keystone. She was reported missing three days later.

Whelchel said the sheriff?s department has received some of the items back it sent to the Department of Criminal Investigation lab in Pierre, but is still awaiting a few more items before a cause of death will be released.

?We had seven different things we had them analyze,? he said. ?We do not have a cause of death. We believe when we get this stuff back from the lab, we will have that. I keep hoping any day we are going to get the remainder of it. The lab is a busy place.?

http://www.custercountynews.com/cms/...ry-700950.html

will of custer. m'lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

This is the second in a series on the death of Custer resident Meshell Will and the investigation into her death.

Angie (not her real name) thought it was strange when Meshell Will and her male companion left the Brookside Motel in Keystone that the room had been thoroughly cleaned.

“The beds were made and the room was spotless,” she said.

It was so unusual, she added, that the maids even made mention of it on their maid sheets.

“I may not be an investigator,” she said, “but all signs would lead me to think that he killed her there. I don’t know if they have come up with more information of what happened to her after I last saw her, but I will say she was not in a state to where she could’ve walked herself out of the motel.”

As the acting manager at the motel on duty that fateful night, Angie believes she was the last person — other than the person who killed her — to talk to Meshell. Angie was not aware that she was dead until a few weeks later.

“I saw her the last night she had texted her sister that she was coming to Keystone. Their last stop that I am aware of was at the motel in Keystone,” she said. “The power went off in their room and I had them moved to a hot tub suite. That’s why I remember her.”

The thought haunts her and she waits to hear that someone has been arrested and charged with her murder.

“What makes me the most upset is the police know the last person she was with. They know where she was last seen. They know everything,” she said. “They kept saying they were waiting on a cause of death, but that was a year ago. There is no reason they should not have made even a person of interest report by now. It’s very upsetting.”

Even more upsetting is the belief that her own life is in danger.

“That’s a top reason I don’t work at the motel any more,” she said.

“There is so much more the police know and I am shocked they have not made an arrest,” she added. “I think they goofed up somewhere and are trying to figure out how to fix it. They know I know who the last person was and he’s free and in Custer. I don’t like it.”

In four days, on Aug. 31, it will have been a calendar year since Will’s decomposing corpse was found just off Iron Mountain Road by a tourist who was taking pictures in the area near mile post 54, in a wooded area between the higher and lower part of the road near one of the road’s famous “pigtail”?��bridges.

And although law enforcement officials still don’t know who or what was responsible for Will’s death, they remain steadfast in the search to find those answers, and say until they have those answers, the search won’t stop.

“It is still considered an active, open investigation,” said Corey Brubakken, captain of the Criminal Investigation Division of the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office. His office, along with the South Dakota Department of Criminal Investigation (DCI), is heading up the investigation into Will’s death.

Will’s death has never been officially ruled a homicide, although last year Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom said the investigation was being treated as criminal.

In addition, a cause of death has never been identified. Brubakken said determining the cause of death is “a component of the investigation,”?��due to the condition of Will’s body when it was discovered.

“Until we get a resolution to it, it will always be an active case,”?��Brubakken said. “Until there is accountability in regard to what happened to Miss Will, we will continue to investigate. It’s not going to go away.”

Brubakken said investigators are constantly working to drum up and investigate more leads. As they receive new information, they investigate it and also talk with other people they have already interviewed in regard to the case. He said the investigation is not focused on any one person.

“Our job is to look at everything. You have to determine what is fact and what isn’t fact,”?��he said. “Our investigation examines everything. It takes time. Unfortunately, that’s the reality of the situation sometimes.”

The decision whether or not to prosecute a person or persons for the crimes will eventually fall to Pennington County states attorney Mark Vargo, since Will’s body was found in Pennington County. Some people have questioned why the Custer County States Attorney Office has not charged anyone with a crime regarding the case, but it is not within the county’s jurisdiction.

“While Custer County has a direct interest in seeing this case successfully prosecuted in the future, we do not have any control over the anticipated prosecution,” said Custer County states attorney Tracy Kelley. “I?��can tell you that law enforcement continues to actively investigate the case with the goal of providing a case for prosecution to the Pennington County State’s Attorney’s Office.”

It’s a state’s attorney’s office responsibility to charge an individual with a crime, not the police department.

Vargo said investigators continue to communicate information about the case to his office, but declined to guess when or if any charges would be filed.

“I don’t really like guess-work much,”?��he said. “We do try to stay in communication (with investigators) so if something happens, we’re ready to go. We are always actively involved in any case, both of this magnitude and duration.”

Amanda Dillon, Will’s sister, remembers her last communication with her. Will, 38, sent a text to Dillon saying she was heading to Keystone and would talk to her later. She never heard from her again.

Dillon said law enforcement has kept her in the loop on the investigation’s progress, but she hasn’t heard about any new leads they are pursuing for a few months.

“There is nothing really new. We all have the same information,” she said. “I know they are trying and it’s still open.”

Dillon said her sister’s remains, post-autopsy, were sent to Sturgis, where she was cremated. The ashes were then sent to Will’s mother in Wisconsin, which are now the centerpiece of a memorial set up in the home that includes candles and a picture of her late daughter.

In the year that has passed, Dillon said she is still working to come to terms with her sister’s death, having finally erased her number from her cell phone, but still finding herself wondering what she is doing and longing to talk to her.

“I?��don’t have anything to remember her by except for old photos,”?��she said. “I miss her.”

Dillon said she does take comfort in the fact that her sister was at least found, so she doesn’t have to wonder where the body is and if she is still suffering.

“Knowing she was found and did pass is a relief in a way — to know she isn’t being harmed anymore,” she said.

Because her sister was new in town and didn’t know many people, Dillon initially thought the question of who did what to her sister would be solved quickly. Dillon knows someone was with her sister during whatever happened because her sister did not drive and had no driver’s license. To get where she ended up, someone had to have driven her there.

“Meshell hadn’t been here long, so I thought the list of potential suspects would be down,”?��she said.

And despite her desire to find out how her sister died and who caused the death, she added that she doesn’t want to see the wrong person accused or have someone go to jail who isn’t responsible for her sister’s death.

“Meshell has died and there is nothing we can do about that. In the same respect, I would like to have closure,” she said. “But you can’t do anything until you have the proof to accuse somebody. Let’s try not to make the mistake of hurting someone else in the process.”

Dillon has heard many theories about what happened to her sister, as well as theories on who is responsible. She knows some of the theories couldn’t be true, while others have been dispelled. She is quick to point out that her sister was never with someone who is abusive, but did have a wild side and a quick temper, and fears she may have met someone who had the same traits.

“She got with the wrong person at the wrong time,”?��Dillon said. “The ‘what ifs’ and ‘could bes’ drive you crazy. It doesn’t help the situation.”

Dillon is convinced someone killed her sister and worries that the person or persons responsible may never pay for what they did.

“I don’t know if we’re ever going to know who killed her,” she said.?��“I?��really don’t.”

If investigators have their way, however, that question will be answered — eventually. Brubakken said it’s impossible to say when the questions regarding Will’s death will be answered, but promised those answers will continue to be sought by law enforcement.

“What I can tell you with certainty is that we will continue to investigate this case until the individual or individuals responsible, if that is the case, are held accountable,”?��he said. “I am adamant when I say this is not going away.”

That’s good news for Will’s friends and relatives. Angie, who saw her only briefly at the motel, also continues to hope that there is a break in the case. Still, the wait is upsetting for her.

“I would like to call and ask what is going on,” she said. “It has been too long. Really. Almost a year of fear and wonder. It’s not right.”

Not to mention seeing justice done for Will.

“My heart aches for her,” she said.
    http://www.custercountynews.com/cms/...ry-707489.html

A man was arrested Friday morning for a murder occurring in 2013, according to the Pennington County Sheriff's Office.

Richard Melvin Schmitz, 53, was arrested at his home near Hill City. The long-time Custer resident is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Meshell Will.

Will was last seen alive in Keystone on Aug. 24, 2013. Originally from Wisconsin, she had been in Custer for about six months.

A week later, a woman's body was found badly decomposed off Iron Mountain Road, near mile marker 54 and the Pig Tail Bridge. The body was later identified as Will, who was 38. Schmitz was a person of interest in the death.

?We never gave up on the Meshell Will case,? Sheriff Kevin Thom said in a news release. ?After eight years of hard work, we?re pleased to finally arrest the person we believe is responsible for the crime. We never stopped conducting interviews, examining evidence and reviewing forensic material.?

Participating in this joint investigation are the Pennington County Sheriff?s Office, Rapid City Police Department, Division of Criminal Investigation and Custer County Sheriff?s Office.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/lo...285e90574.html

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/lo...0e43b3202.html

Four days before Meshell Will went missing, the last person seen with her pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in exchange for having domestic abuse charges dropped. He was given a 30-day suspended sentence.

Almost eight years later, that same man was been arrested for second-degree murder. Pennington County Sheriff's Office Captain Tony Harrison said Richard Melvin Schmitz, 53, was arrested at his home near Hill City without incident Friday morning.

A press release from the sheriff's office called Schmitz a long-time resident of Custer and a person of interest in the case for the past eight years.

Will was last seen alive in Keystone on Aug. 24, 2013, the release said. Originally from Wisconsin, she had been in Custer for about six months. A week later on Aug. 31, a woman's body badly decomposed body was found off Iron Mountain Road, near mile marker 54 and the Pig Tail Bridge.

A friend of Will's said word of the arrest brought her joy.

"I started to shake and cry," Nancy Herman, who has been a tireless advocate for Will since 2013, said Friday. "I was so happy. I has been almost eight years since she was murdered. I stayed at it the whole time."

Herman runs a Facebook page intended to help bring Will's killer to justice. On that site, she has mentioned her belief that Schmitz was responsible several times. His arrest Friday was vindication.
    Weeds aren't all bad, but do need to be controlled

Herman said at one point Schmitz had been employed as a maintenance worker in the apartment complex where Will lived and his apartment was across the hall from her.

She said Will had paid him to drive her to various locations in the past and that is what she believed happened the day before she was considered missing.

"I had shared tips and leads with investigators so much that I probably made them mad, but I just wanted justice for Mishell," Herman said. "I am so happy that they kept working on the case."

Harrison declined to say what changed to allow investigators to change the cause and manner of death from unknown to homicide and take Schmitz from a person of interest to a murder suspect. The case has been turned over to the Pennington County State's Attorney's office where the files have been sealed.

"We just refused to give up on Meshell Will's case," Harrison said. "We continued to look at it with new eyes and followed up on many tips and leads over the years. It was important for us to get closure for her family and friends."

Schmitz is well-known by law enforcement.

Two women have been granted restraining orders against him for stalking and domestic abuse. He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in 2009 and 2013. In 2005, he went to prison on a four-year sentence for grand theft and as recently as 2018 he was sentenced to a year in jail after pleading guilty to simple assault and false imprisonment. Charges of aggravated assault and sexual contact without the capability to consent were dropped when he pleaded guilty to the other charges. His one-year sentence was broken up into 108 days of time served awaiting trial and 252 days suspended.

Two other women sought restraining orders in 2018 and 2019 that were denied due to a lack of evidence.

Schmitz will make his initial appearance in court to face the murder charge at 10 a.m., Monday.

Up to 10 years! Probably let him out with time served.

https://www.blackhillsfox.com/2024/0...d-murder-case/

A surprising twist in a murder case that was supposed to go to trial Wednesday.

Richard Melvin Schmitz, 55, pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter in the death of Meshell Will, 38, in August of 2013.

That was part of an Alford Plea, which means Schmitz maintains his innocence but admits that he would likely be found guilty if the case went to trial.

Schmitz was first charged almost eight years after Will?s body was found. He was originally charged with second-degree murder.

Schmitz faces up to 10 years in prison when he?s sentenced on March 8.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Up to 10 years! Probably let him out with time served.

https://www.blackhillsfox.com/2024/0...d-murder-case/

A surprising twist in a murder case that was supposed to go to trial Wednesday.

Richard Melvin Schmitz, 55, pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter in the death of Meshell Will, 38, in August of 2013.

That was part of an Alford Plea, which means Schmitz maintains his innocence but admits that he would likely be found guilty if the case went to trial.

Schmitz was first charged almost eight years after Will?s body was found. He was originally charged with second-degree murder.

Schmitz faces up to 10 years in prison when he?s sentenced on March 8.
    WTAF!!!! He'll be out in half that time! Women mean NOTHING. This is an outrage
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    The Alford Plea. Enough said.

Thread Information