Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hundreds dead in Syrian poison gas attack, many of them children

Don't get me wrong. I'm not in favor of sending in troops/bombing civilians etc., but I'm not sure potus is either. I think he's trying to stick it to congress. There's no way congress isn't going to use this as a stick to beat on him some more so, I think he's trying to take the stick out of their hands and beat them about the head and shoulders with.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not in favor of sending in troops/bombing civilians etc., but I'm not sure potus is either. I think he's trying to stick it to congress. There's no way congress isn't going to use this as a stick to beat on him some more so, I think he's trying to take the stick out of their hands and beat them about the head and shoulders with.
    There are a couple of Marines at my work, both of whom were like 'Don't kid yourself. If the government says they're thinking of sending people in, they're already there."

There are a couple of Marines at my work, both of whom were like 'Don't kid yourself. If the government says they're thinking of sending people in, they're already there."
    It's possible. This doesn't negate my point. O wants congress to take fall for whatever goes down.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

It's possible. This doesn't negate my point. O wants congress to take fall for whatever goes down.
    Oh yeah, I wasn't arguing with you, I was just saying it's one of those moot debates because whether we like it or not, shit is already in the process of going down.

Stealth type missions might be a plausible alternative.

We can't bomb the actual chemical weapons, because they'll just be dispersed out over the population.

Oh yeah, I wasn't arguing with you, I was just saying it's one of those moot debates because whether we like it or not, shit is already in the process of going down.
    OIC. Yeah the laundry is out of the hamper...

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Yeah or the whole chemical weapons thing was done by the rebels and the US in order to start a war.

I do find is strange Assad hasn't done it and suddenly after 2.5 years, just decides too. Especially in the capital. Especially risking alienation from the globe. What was the purpose again?

Just saying, where the proof? I haven't seen it yet, so how can i even justify even going to war for that.

Exactly what are these military strikes going to do exactly?

The region is shit and will always be shit. Let them trash themselves.............sorry. Civil wars happen.
    i agree with this too... i've always thought of civil war as similar to domestic abuse. when enough people are tired enough of the abuse of power they will take matters into their own hands. eventually they will decide on a strategy to fight back. when they do, and when they have the numbers to swing it in their favor, then it may be time for us to lend support. until then our help will do no good. they have to do the majority of work by themselves otherwise, the victory is not their own.

genocide is not to be tolerated though. we were late to the party with the whole ww2 thing, and way too early in every war since.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I actually completely agree with this, harsh as it sounds. There are fucked up things happening to people all over the world. No good has come from the US supporting coupes or intervening since World War II.
    So true. First there was Viet Nam in the 60s...then we helped overthrow the shah of Iran in the 70s cause he was such a mean dictator, paving the way for the Ayatollah Khomenei...that turned out great, right? Then in the 80s we armed the mujahedin in Afghanistan against the Russians, that's where Osama bin Laden got his start and gave the world Al Qaeda...then there was the war in Iraq, now that was really worth the billions spent and all the lives lost to overthrow Hussein, right?? Iraq is a fucking disaster, totally unstable.

This ain't the 1940s, it's not our job to save the world. Obama should have kept his mouth shut about what would happen if Assad crossed the red line...there's nothing we can do to stop him and Obama should have known that.

I actually completely agree with this, harsh as it sounds. There are fucked up things happening to people all over the world. No good has come from the US supporting coupes or intervening since World War II.
    100% this. But, we are the world police and we need to get involved in evvvveryone's shit. All the time.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    100% this. But, we are the world police and we need to get involved in evvvveryone's shit. All the time.
    puzz is right about this part, we get involved if we have something to gain. syria doesn't have much oil, but they're is the bigger mid-east connection, i guess. clinton still catches hell for not getting involved in rawanda.

Fucking Syria

What do members think? Do we need to get involved? No? If so, how? If not, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Nm already merged, thanks.

Kind of hilarious we have to wait a week so congress can address this issue and vote because they are on vacation.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Yeah or the whole chemical weapons thing was done by the rebels and the US in order to start a war.

I do find is strange Assad hasn't done it and suddenly after 2.5 years, just decides too. Especially in the capital. Especially risking alienation from the globe. What was the purpose again?

Just saying, where the proof? I haven't seen it yet, so how can i even justify even going to war for that.

Exactly what are these military strikes going to do exactly?

The region is shit and will always be shit. Let them trash themselves.............sorry. Civil wars happen.

So had you already seen this? This is a link to an article that the site far below says was published in Britain's Daily Mail on 29 January 2013. It was supposedly removed from the Daily Mail's article archive after they were threatened with libel by Britam Defence and Intelligence but recovered by archive.org -
    http://web.archive.org/web/201301300...ame-Assad.html

U.S. 'backed plan to launch chemical weapon attack on Syria and blame it on Assad's regime'

Leaked emails from defense contractor refers to chemical weapons saying 'the idea is approved by Washington' Obama issued warning to Syrian president Bashar al-Assad last month that use of chemical warfare was 'totally unacceptable'

By LOUISE BOYLE

PUBLISHED: 14:16EST, 29 January 2013 | UPDATED:18:17 EST, 29 January 2013

Comments (183)

Leaked emails have allegedly proved that the White House gave the green light to a chemical weapons attack in Syria that could be blamed on Assad's regime and in turn, spur international military action in the devastated country. A report released on Monday contains an email exchange between two senior officials at British-based contractor Britam Defence where a scheme 'approved by Washington' is outlined explaining that Qatar would fund rebel forces in Syria to use chemical weapons. Barack Obama made it clear to Syrian president Bashar al-Assad last month that the U.S. would not tolerate Syria using chemical weapons against its own people.

According to Infowars.com, the December 25 email was sent from Britam's Business Development Director David Goulding to company founder Philip Doughty. It reads: 'Phil... We?ve got a new offer. It?s about Syria again. Qataris propose an attractive deal and swear that the idea is approved by Washington. 'We?ll have to deliver a CW to Homs, a Soviet origin g-shell from Libya similar to those that Assad should have. 'They want us to deploy our Ukrainian personnel that should speak Russian and make a video record. 'Frankly, I don?t think it?s a good idea but the sums proposed are enormous. Your opinion? 'Kind regards, David.' Britam Defence had not yet returned a request for comment to MailOnline.

The emails were released by a Malaysian hacker who also obtained senior executives resum?s and copies of passports via an unprotected company server, according to Cyber War News. Dave Goulding's Linkedin profile lists him as Business Development Director at Britam Defence Ltd in Security and Investigations. A business networking profile for Phil Doughty lists him as Chief Operating Officer for Britam, United Arab Emirates, Security and Investigations. The U.S. State Department had not returned a request for comment on the alleged emails to MailOnline today at time of publication. However the use of chemical warfare was raised at a press briefing in D.C. on January 28. A spokesman said that the U.S. joined the international community in 'setting common redlines about the consequences of using chemical weapons'.

More of this article at
    http://web.archive.org/web/201301300...ame-Assad.html

So what kind of rep does the site below have? They have a few articles along these lines. Are they credible? Dodgy shit stirrers?or conspiracy theorists? I sometimes have trouble telling the difference when it's not written in Australian

http://www.globalresearch.ca/cooked-...-syria/5347527

http://www.globalresearch.ca/did-the...attack/5347542

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rassed-to-ask/

The United States and allies are preparing for a possibly imminent series of limited military strikes against Syria, the first direct U.S. intervention in the two-year civil war, in retaliation for President Bashar al-Assad?s suspected use of chemical weapons against civilians.

If you found the above sentence kind of confusing, or aren?t exactly sure why Syria is fighting a civil war, or even where Syria is located, then this is the article for you. What?s happening in Syria is really important, but it can also be confusing and difficult to follow even for those of us glued to it.

i posted this and another good article with info on syria on the first page. for anyone interested in reading up...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...y-very-basics/

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    i posted this and another good article with info on syria on the first page. for anyone interested in reading up...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...y-very-basics/
    Sorry. Missed it. I hate the fact that MDS only sometimes shows some of the new posts...

Sorry. Missed it. I hate the fact that MDS only sometimes shows some of the new posts...
    no problem, i just linked it because it is sooo long. i just thought i'd repost if someone is interested. i found both articles informing. i also find i miss a lot of new posts these days which is a bummer.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    I couldn't care less about these savages, so I wasn't gonna post here, but I didn't know where else to put this.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson...lans-to-bomb-s
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

This thread somehow got moved to 'premie'...can we put it back where it started, in the current events section of non-premie?

good idea. this shouldn't be a preemie thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

maybe it got moved somehow in the thread merge? dunno.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I couldn't care less about these savages, so I wasn't gonna post here, but I didn't know where else to put this.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson...lans-to-bomb-s
    Some of those are pretty good.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Syria's refugee crisis the 'humanity catastrophe' of the century, UN says

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10282089/Syria's-refugee-crisis-the-humanitarian-crisis-of-the-century-says-UN.html
    Civil war has driven almost a third of its population from their homes
    By Holly Watt, Zaatari, David Blair in Beirut and Ruth Sherlock in Shatila 03 Sep 2013

The number of Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries has reached two million, while a further 4.3 million people have been displaced within the nation's borders. The fighting has been so intense that the number of refugees has increased almost tenfold in a single year, according to the UN.

"Syria has become the great tragedy of this century - a disgraceful humanitarian calamity with suffering and displacement unparalleled in recent history," said Antonio Guterres, head of the UN High Commission for Refugees, which released the figures.

The milestone of two million refugees was reached as Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian president, challenged the West to provide "the slightest proof" he had used chemical weapons against his people, warning in an interview that any military intervention could spark a "regional war."

According to the UNHCR, the UN's refugee agency, there is no sign of the "tragic outflow" of refugees from Syria ending. One year ago today, the UN said the number of Syrians registered as refugees stood at 230,000 - meaning the total has jumped by almost 1.8 million in the last 12 months. Around 5,000 refugees now flee Syria every day. Of the 2 million to have fled so far, more than half are children aged under 17. The UN said more Syrians were now forcibly displaced than in any other country.

Mr Guterres said the "only solace" was the humanity shown by neighbouring countries, such as Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey, in welcoming the refugees, despite the "overwhelming" burden placed upon them.

The inflow is placing a huge strain on Jordan, which now hosts 515,000 registered Syrian refugees, representing eight per cent of its population of 6.2 million. The equivalent for Britain would be the arrival of 5 million people. Jordan is trying to limit the influx by closing its border, but Syrians manage to slip across by walking long distances.

If Jordan is struggling to contain the inflow, the situation in Lebanon is far more serious. The country hosts more Syrians than any other: 716,000 registered refugees and perhaps another 300,000 undocumented arrivals. Lebanon's population of only four million has grown by a quarter in two years. The equivalent in Britain would be for the population to jump by 16 million.

And the numbers keep rising: unlike Jordan, Lebanon has kept its border open allowing some 8,000 refugees to cross every day.

In Lebanon's capital, Beirut, Syrians have settled in already overcrowded Palestinian refugee camps. About 2,000 families have moved to Shatila camp on the city's southern fringe. When Syria's civil war began, many Lebanese families opened their doors to refugees. But the inflow has been so huge that relations between the new arrivals and host population have become strained.

UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie said: "The world risks being dangerously complacent about the Syrian humanitarian disaster. The tide of human suffering unleashed by the conflict has catastrophic implications. If the situation continues to deteriorate at this rate, the number of refugees will only grow, and some neighbouring countries could be brought to the point of collapse."
    So I get to the end of this very serious article and did a double-take...UNHCR Specal Envoy ANGELINA JOLIE??
    Last edited by *crickets*; 09-02-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Thread Information