Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hundreds dead in Syrian poison gas attack, many of them children

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    idk, I mean, Congress almost has to agree with this because of the weapons convention thing. But yeah, I can kind of see the similarities to Bush.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

I just don't see how this makes Bush look better. This was also posted by a 19yr old.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Oh, I don't think it makes him look better. I think that this is something liberals would have freaked over if Bush was president.

But, maybe they are freaking anyway, because they just said 71% or 79% (I can't remember lol) of the public doesn't approve this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    isnt there anyone else that can destroy their missles or is the industrialized world just looking at us to do this? last i heard france was all "YEA AMERICA GO GET 'EM"
    totally this. matt and trey had it way too accurate with team america. life imitating art imitating life, etc. we are pretty much the only country that consistently sticks our nose into the problems of the world for no reason other than to do it. people want us to do it, but then they look down on us as a brutish society who loves to fight.

we are setting ourselves up to take over the world, one outpost at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Yeah I'm not really happy about the decision. And I'm definitely still a Bush hater.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

I can hate Obama and still hate Bush. It's hypocritical to hate one of them for making a fucked up move and not the other for doing the same thing.

BAM. HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW I JUST HATE EVERYONE.

Also lol at France, our oldest ally. So I guess we're over freedom fries.

I can hate Obama and still hate Bush. It's hypocritical to hate one of them for making a fucked up move and not the other for doing the same thing.

Tell us something new.

Well yeah that's what I figured her friend meant by "for the Bush haters."

hahah I totally thought that about freedom fries when I saw France.

I dunno, I see a lot of conservatives feeling like this somehow exonerates Bush. Apparently two wrongs make a right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    Well yeah that's what I figured her friend meant by "for the Bush haters."

hahah I totally thought that about freedom fries when I saw France.
    I guess you could be right, but she's a 19yr old Bush flag flier who rags on Obama every chance she gets. My interpretation was different based on past comments.

(I actually just had to explain to her yesterday by a bonus gets taxed. When she found out her initial reaction was "THANKS OBAMA." )

I dunno, I see a lot of conservatives feeling like this somehow exonerates Bush. Apparently two wrongs make a right.
    This, exactly.

Anyways... back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    This is so similar to the Iraq invasion to search for "WMD" that never existed.
    Except that these are not imaginary, nonexistent WMD...this was a real WMD attack that killed 1,400 people.

Obama drew a red line a year ago, implying that Assad would pay a serious price if he used WMD against his people. The quote:
    "We have been very clear to the Assad regime, but also to other players on the ground, that a red line for us is we start seeing a whole bunch of chemical weapons moving around or being utilized," the president said. "That would change my calculus. That would change my equation."
    So now he's crossed that red line, and Obama's response has been to hem & haw, "I'm gonna do something...I really am...just haven't decided what...I'm gonna...er...let Congress decide! Yeah, that's the ticket!" *drops mic* *runs*

Assad's got to be laughing his ass off right now...

Other than the fact that he made a decision and isn't making Congress decide, yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    so i see know they are taking it to congress, which is good but only makes me assume that they have manipulated enough to know they have to votes to go forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Just a question. What do you want Obama to do? (I don't have an answer myself either) but I don't think the man can win. If he acts unilaterally, he's wrong. If he can get congressional authorization, it's because someones bought them off, if he can't it's because he's a weak pussy. So. If you were in the round office, what would you do?
    I think Congress will vote against and therefore save face for Obama not going attacking Syria because they crossed his "red line". I'm glad he's got a way out. Too many countries were lining up with what they were gonna do if...

I'm a relic from the cold war, still scared to death of WWIII.

Lolwut, Obama is going against congress and popular opinion on this one already.

I would much rather him 'save face' and not start another fucking war.

Obama Calls for Military Strike Against Syria?But Only if Congress Votes for It

In a tough-worded statement delivered in the Rose Garden this afternoon, President Barack Obama made a case for launching a limited military strike against the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in retaliation for the chemical weapons attack mounted presumably by regime forces near Damascus earlier this month. "This menace must be confronted," Obama declared. This was no surprise. The Obama administration has clearly been heading toward such a decision. But in an unexpected move, Obama said that it was not necessary to rush into such an attack?his military advisers had assured him that such an assault could be effective even if taken weeks from now?and that he would seek authorization from Congress before ordering an attack on the Syrian regime.

(continued here)
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ional-approval

here is the transcripts from today:

READ: President Obama’s full remarks on Syria

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-syria-attack/
    Last edited by emmieslost; 08-31-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Lolwut, Obama is going against congress and popular opinion on this one already.

I would much rather him 'save face' and not start another fucking war.
    Congress will probably want to back the chemical weapons convention, though. But yeah I agree. "We definitely don't want another Iraq situation..." we'll see.

If he does nothing he's ignoring genocide. Not a great choice. I don't think there's a chance in hell that any attempted negotiation with Assad will work. We are sorely lacking in puppet governments in the area that we can send in to fight in our stead. The UN would seem to be the organization that should step up to the plate, but they probably won't.

I think telling congress it's their problem is brilliant. God knows they haven't been willing to do a thing for six years, so if they continue to do nothing, he can blame the inevitable additional deaths on them. If by some chance, they do act, he can blame them. I just hope he's willing to tough it out and let congress continue to fiddle while Syria burns. I feel very badly for the innocents that are caught up in this mess but I haven't heard one reasonable plan to help them.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    If he does nothing he's ignoring genocide. Not a great choice. I don't think there's a chance in hell that any attempted negotiation with Assad will work. We are sorely lacking in puppet governments in the area that we can send in to fight in our stead. The UN would seem to be the organization that should step up to the plate, but they probably won't.

I think telling congress it's their problem is brilliant. God knows they haven't been willing to do a thing for six years, so if they continue to do nothing, he can blame the inevitable additional deaths on them. If by some chance, they do act, he can blame them. I just hope he's willing to tough it out and let congress continue to fiddle while Syria burns. I feel very badly for the innocents that are caught up in this mess but I haven't heard one reasonable plan to help them.

Genocide in africa too, is ignoring it and nobody cares. Nobody has cared suddenly up until now. 2.5 years and over 100,000 people dead. Guns, beheadings, RPG's, executions and bombs on civilians=ok. But OMG bring in some gas and well.......it's just to horrific, now we gotta go do something.

Anything is better than a potential WW3. And yes that is the risk in doing this. The moment Iran or even syria wants it, they will get it and start launching missiles at Israel. Sorry syrians, you're in a civil war and it's your mess to figure out, not ours.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

So I'm thinking to myself in a joking sort of way, I wonder if Obama's got time for a round of golf today?...just now on CNN, they said he went STRAIGHT TO THE GOLF COURSE after the speech...SMH...
    Last edited by *crickets*; 08-31-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Genocide in africa too, is ignoring it and nobody cares. Nobody has cared suddenly up until now. 2.5 years and over 100,000 people dead. Guns, beheadings, RPG's, executions and bombs on civilians=ok. But OMG bring in some gas and well.......it's just to horrific, now we gotta go do something.

Anything is better than a potential WW3. And yes that is the risk in doing this. The moment Iran or even syria wants it, they will get it and start launching missiles at Israel. Sorry syrians, you're in a civil war and it's your mess to figure out, not ours.
    Meh. Africa has nothing anyone wants except for a few rhino horns, so their genocide is their problem. But the Syrians Civil War could indeed expand to engulf the whole middle east, jeopardizing much of the worlds supply of oil and yes sparking ww3. It's all well and good to say "their war, their problem" and if we could trust them to keep it local a hands off policy would be fine. But sure as anything if this doesn't get tamped down somehow the whole Muslim world will eventually be a war zone. Then you'll see a real shitstorm.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

i don't know anything about the politics of war... not a subject i pay very much attention to, but from that article emmie posted, it sounds like the big deal about this is that going soft on the use of chemical warfare will set a precedent that no country wants to see - it goes against the fair play in war concept.

also that chemical warfare does more harm to the civilian population than it does the military capacity and is pointless as a military tactic other than to cause terror. becoming involved is supposed to send a clear message that chemical warfare will not be tolerated for the safety of the whole world and so we can keep on fighting 'fair' wars.

people shooting and beheading doesn't really add up to a huge issue in the scheme of things but when you fuck with the agreed upon rules of war, it's on.

i could be totally wrong about this, so please correct me! i'm not even .01 percent knowledgeable in matters of war.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

i see both points, honestly. murder is murder. i think that ani is on to it though, gassing brings back visions of the Holocaust and that is unacceptable.

it really doesn't mean anything to me to just look at it as simply as peace negotiations not working. that is no reason to avoid trying to skip that process and go straight to bombing, imo.

Yeah or the whole chemical weapons thing was done by the rebels and the US in order to start a war.

I do find is strange Assad hasn't done it and suddenly after 2.5 years, just decides too. Especially in the capital. Especially risking alienation from the globe. What was the purpose again?

Just saying, where the proof? I haven't seen it yet, so how can i even justify even going to war for that.

Exactly what are these military strikes going to do exactly?

The region is shit and will always be shit. Let them trash themselves.............sorry. Civil wars happen.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    i don't know anything about the politics of war... not a subject i pay very much attention to, but from that article emmie posted, it sounds like the big deal about this is that going soft on the use of chemical warfare will set a precedent that no country wants to see - it goes against the fair play in war concept.

also that chemical warfare does more harm to the civilian population than it does the military capacity and is pointless as a military tactic other than to cause terror. becoming involved is supposed to send a clear message that chemical warfare will not be tolerated for the safety of the whole world and so we can keep on fighting 'fair' wars.

people shooting and beheading doesn't really add up to a huge issue in the scheme of things but when you fuck with the agreed upon rules of war, it's on.

i could be totally wrong about this, so please correct me! i'm not even .01 percent knowledgeable in matters of war.

Fair wars? One has a military, planes, best weapons and intelligence, and tanks and the other is a rebel army with the majority having old ak47's from the 80's.

Yeah or the whole chemical weapons thing was done by the rebels and the US in order to start a war.

I do find is strange Assad hasn't done it and suddenly after 2.5 years, just decides too. Especially in the capital. Especially risking alienation from the globe. What was the purpose again?

Just saying, where the proof? I haven't seen it yet, so how can i even justify even going to war for that.

Exactly what are these military strikes going to do exactly?

The region is shit and will always be shit. Let them trash themselves.............sorry. Civil wars happen.
    I actually completely agree with this, harsh as it sounds. There are fucked up things happening to people all over the world. No good has come from the US supporting coupes or intervening since World War II.

Thread Information