Thread: Woman (20) dies 1 week after right arm bitten off in shark attack

Woman (20) dies 1 week after right arm bitten off in shark attack

PUBLISHED: 19:18 EST, 21 August 2013

A young German tourist has died in a hospital in Maui, Hawaii, one week after she lost her right arm in a horrific shark attack.

Jana Lutteropp, 20, had been on life support and in 'very critical condition' at Maui Memorial Medical Center since she was pulled from the water last Wednesday by a heroic teacher who heard her screams.

Lutteropp was snorkeling 100 yards off Palauea Beach in Makena when a shark attacked and bit off her arm.

California high school teacher Rick Moore, who jumped into the water to save Lutteropp, said the young tourist kept repeating that she was going to die.

"As soon as we stand on the beach, we heard this blood-curdling scream," the 57-year-old of Laguna Niguel, California, said. "We look out and there was blood everywhere in the white water around her."

With the bikini-clad woman's other arm around his neck, Moore backstroked about 100 yards through strong ocean currents. "It dawned on me - I was in danger now," he said. "The shark is around me and she's bleeding. I start praying out loud, 'God, God protect us.' She said, 'I'm dying. I know I'm going to die.'"

"About 10 feet from her, I saw her floating on her back, with no arm," Moore said. "It was completely severed from her body." The arm was not recovered.

Lutteropp is originally from Zierenberg north of Kassel in western Germany. She was a member of the town's carnival troupe called Grace Berger Dance Guard and had left Germany last summer to work as an au pair in Seattle, Washington.

She was in Hawaii for a three-week vacation and was planning to return to Germany September 11, according to her personal blog. She wrote about her experiences working as an au pair for an American family living in Issaquah, a suburb of Seattle. Her last day on the job was August 12, after which the young au pair apparently headed to Hawaii for a vacation.

After Moore got Lutteroppto shore, his friend, Nicholas Grisaffi, 61, of Laguna Beach, stood in neck-high water and took the woman from Moore and carried her limp body out of the water. "What was left of her shoulder was in my chest," said Grisaffi, who teaches homeless fourth- and fifth-graders. "I had a pure-white rash guard on but there was very little blood on it," an indication of how much blood she lost.

The two teachers said they put the woman in a bystander's kayak, using it as a stretcher to bring her up a trail leading to the street. A police officer arrived with a tourniquet as the woman was going in and out of consciousness, Grisaffi said. An ambulance rushed her to Maui Memorial Medical Center.

Joshua Craddock, a 23-year-old from London who was sunbathing on the beach at the time, called 911. He hailed Moore's bravery. "He was pretty heroic and selfless to dive in the water when by this stage she was surrounded by a pool of blood which we could see form the shore," Craddock said.

"I just can't get the screaming out of my head," Grisaffi said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2cgVy7hLz
    Last edited by *crickets*; 08-22-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    god I fucking hate sharks. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

I'm guessing that her arm was severed right at the shoulder, so there was no place to put a tourniquet and she bled out. That surfer whose arm was bitten off (the one they made a movie about) iirc had enough arm left to allow for a tourniquet, so she didn't lose her entire blood volume.

We have people getting taken by sharks here on the reg..

I'm surprised she even survived the initial attack, it sounded like she bled out hard and fast. Brutal.

Thread Information