Thread: Twins Dannette and Jeannette Millbrooks (16) missing since 3-18-90; case reopened

Twins Dannette and Jeannette Millbrooks (16) missing since 3-18-90; case reopened

Dannette (left) and Jeannette

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3762972.html

'Terrible Injustice' Prompts Sheriff To Reopen 1990 Case Of Missing Twins

(Aug. 16, 2013) An investigation into the mysterious disappearance 23 years ago of Dannette and Jeannette Millbrooks has been reopened by a Georgia sheriff who discovered the case files were lost and the missing person report closed.

The 16-year-old fraternal twins disappeared without a trace on March 18, 1990, while walking home from a convenience store in Augusta.

But unbeknownst to the girls' family, investigators have not looked at the case for more than two decades.

"We think a terrible injustice has been done for the last 20 years," Richmond County Sheriff Richard Roundtree told The Huffington Post.

According to Roundtree, the original case files are missing and not long after the twins disappeared, they were taken off the national database for missing children.

"For some unknown reason they were removed from the system, but there is no report indicating why they were removed. So for the last 20 years they have not been in the system," said Roundtree, who is newly appointed.

Shanta Sturgis, Dannette and Jeannette's younger sister, convinced him to reopen the case.

Sturgis, who was 12 when her sisters disappeared, said she began looking into the case in 2004. "I had been trying for years to get the police to help us look for them and I was always told there was nothing they could do. They said the case was closed and there was no missing children report," Sturgis told HuffPost.

But Sturgis persisted and called the sheriff's office on a regular basis. "I figured someone was bound to listen," she said. "I finally got the sheriff on the phone and the next day he told me he was going to reopen the case."

Roundtree, who had no previous knowledge of the case, had little to work with. He located the now-retired investigator who handled the case, and interviewed the detective and others close to it. He had the girls reentered into the national database along with a DNA sample from the twins' mother. Roundtree also checked unclaimed remains.

"We gathered all the information and ran a nationwide search, but have not found any possible matches," the sheriff said.

A lack of details is hindering the investigation. According to Sturgis, the twins went to a relative's house on March 18, 1990. They got some money to ride a bus back and forth to school, then stopped by a friend's house. From there, the twins walked to a nearby Pump-N-Shop gas station, where they bought chips and a drink.

"They were last seen at that store," Sturgis said. "They left the store and just disappeared."

Roundtree said the twins had no prior history of running away and there is no record of any behavioral problems.

The case received little media coverage at the time of the disappearance and attempts to draw attention to the case in recent years were unsuccessful, Sturgis said.

"We've tried to get the FBI involved," she said. "We've reached out to [TV show hosts] John Walsh, Montel Williams and Oprah Winfrey, but none of them would help us. We don't have the kind of money needed to pay a private detective, so there is only so much we can do."

Roundtree said the department has looked for the original case files, but could not find them. Regarding the teens' removal from the national database, it is standard procedure for the person who removes a name to provide a reason in the system, said Roundtree. But, in this case, no explanation was given and he does not know who did it.

Despite the daunting task of solving a 23-year-old case, Roundtree said he and his investigators are going to do everything they can to locate the missing girls.

"We're trying to get closure for the family," Roundtree said. "Statistically, we don't feel the chances of finding the twins alive is high, but based on recent events with people missing resurfacing after a number of years, we remain hopeful."

Sturgis is not sure what to think of her sisters' disappearance. She said she does not know if they are alive, dead or being held captive. In the event they are out there somewhere, she wants them to know that their family never stopped looking for them.

"We love them and haven't forgotten about them. We have always looked for them and always will until we find out what happened," she said.

At the time of their disappearance, Dannette was approximately 5 feet six inches, 130 pounds and Jeannette was approximately 5 feet 4 inches, 125 pounds. They both attended ninth grade at Lucy Laney High School. The girls would be 39 years old today.

Anyone with any information about the disappearance of Dannette and Jeannette Millbrooks is asked to contact the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at (706) 821-1080 or any violent crimes investigator at (706) 821-1020.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    More shit that'll make you sick. These girls were white, they'd be plastered on milk cartons and you'd see their pics between commercials. Good for little sister Shanta for telling the story to anyone and everyone who would listen. That's dedication. That's love for your family. I hope that reopening the case brings clues to what happened to these young ladies. To even imagine what the family has had to endure day after day, for this long...it's enough to drive people insane, and rightly so.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

So somebody actually took them out of the national database of missing persons? And nobody would have noticed had the sister not insisted on them looking back into the case? How sad. Those girls deserve better.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    holy shit. its infuriating and sad that this case was handled so poorly. i hope they get some tips or info soon.

i have to say, and i'm definitely not one of those conspiracy theorist nutbags, it seems a bit odd that the case files were lost and they were taken out of the missing persons database without a reason being given in the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Roundtree said the department has looked for the original case files, but could not find them.
    How sad and so very disgusting.

It is so unacceptable that two girls can just disappear. Even today there are kids that just turn up missing and you "maybe" hear a small blip on the news about it. Then nothing....

I think its a sad site when Nancy Grace and JVM are about the only shows that highlight missing kids. It would be so wonderful if some of the popular shows on tv would just show a few kids for the last 30 seconds or so of their show. If every show did that...imgaine how many kids that may be found.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    How sad and so very disgusting.

It is so unacceptable that two girls can just disappear. Even today there are kids that just turn up missing and you "maybe" hear a small blip on the news about it. Then nothing....

I think its a sad site when Nancy Grace and JVM are about the only shows that highlight missing kids. It would be so wonderful if some of the popular shows on tv would just show a few kids for the last 30 seconds or so of their show. If every show did that...imgaine how many kids that may be found.
    Thank you. Seriously. If you got the public's attention for thirty seconds, that may well save a life and give a grieving family a reason to celebrate.

Then again, missing kids don't generate $$$, so no fucks are given about them. It is a sad, pathetic, money driven world we live in.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    holy shit. its infuriating and sad that this case was handled so poorly. i hope they get some tips or info soon.

i have to say, and i'm definitely not one of those conspiracy theorist nutbags, it seems a bit odd that the case files were lost and they were taken out of the missing persons database without a reason being given in the system.
    Yeah I'm thinking who ever took them out may have had something to do with their disappearance.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Age progression pix

Danette

Jeanette

Richmond County Investigators re-open missing twins cold case Posted: Aug 14, 20131:49 AM EST Updated: Aug 14, 2013 11:42 PM EST Posted by NBC 26 Staff

AUGUSTA, Ga. -Investigators with the Richmond County Sheriff's Office have re-opened a 23-year-old case involving the disappearance of fraternal twins Danette and Jeannette Millbrooks.

On March 18, 1990, the 16-year-old girls left their home on Cooney Circle to go visit a family friend who lived in the area of 12 th St. and MLK Blvd. They were on foot.

The girls' mother and younger sister, Mary and Shanta Sturgis, confirmed that they left their friend's home at around 4:00pm. They were last seen near the intersection of 12 th St. and MLK Blvd. around 4:30pm. The girls have not been seen since.

At the time of their disappearance, Dannette was approximately 5'6" 130 lbs. and Jeannette was approximately 5'4" 125lbs. They both were in the 9 th grade at Lucy Laney High School.

Age progression photos provided by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children show what Dannette and Jeannette could look like today. They would now be 39 years old. Anyone with any information about their disappearance is asked to contact the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at 706-821-1080 or any Violent Crimes Investigator at 706-821-1020.

http://www.nbc26.tv/story/23123847/r...wins-cold-case

& a clearer picture of Danette taken between 88-89

Shanta Sturgis was 12 when her older sisters, Dannette and Jeannette Millbrooks, went missing on March 8, 1990. Police have reopened the case. "It's hard to know," Sturgis said of her sisters' disappearances. "The not knowing is the hardest part."

http://m.chronicle.augusta.com/node/562322/photos
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-06-2013 at 07:36 AM.

No news sadly, just bumping to add some other pictures of Jeanette that weren't online last time I posted.

How sad. At least they're out in the public eye now, for whatever good that might do. It would be amazing if they were actually found. A few years ago, before Jacey Dugard and the ladies in Cleveland, I'd say flat out they're dead. I know it's still likely they are but those two cases made a HUGE difference in how I think about long term missing people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Bumping up because I found an interesting podcast on this case:

http://thinairpodcast.com/?episode=e...tte-millbrooks

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

10$ says someone in law enforcement did something to those girls.

Odd to me that they're info is missing and taken from a database and no report on why.

It's hinky.

You read my mind ^^

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I agree and I think this is clearly a case where their race impacted the amount of attention received. So sad.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Bumping up because I found an interesting podcast on this case:

http://thinairpodcast.com/?episode=e...tte-millbrooks
    I was subscribed to this podcast and it disappeared from my list. Thanks for the reminder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information