Thread: Woman, 70, convicted of murder spree as teen, critically hurt in car crash

Woman, 70, convicted of murder spree as teen, critically hurt in car crash

Caril Fugate (now Caril Clair) and Charles Starkweather in 1958

An infamous murder-spree convict was critically injured in a car crash late Monday night in Michigan. Caril Ann Clair, 70, of Stryker, Ohio, survived when her SUV veered off road and overturned. She was taken to Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo where she is expected to recover. Her husband and driver, Frederick A. Clair, 81, died in the accident, authorities said.

Fifty-five years ago (1958), Clair (then 14-year-old Caril Fugate) was convicted of going on a deadly rampage throughout Nebraska and Wyoming with her bloodthirsty boyfriend Charles Starkweather, 19. Starkweather and his jailbait girlfriend blazed a path that left 11 people dead, including Clair's mother, stepfather, 2-year-old sister and eight others.

Their blood-soaked tale seeped deep into the public consciousness, inspiring Terrence Malick's 1973 film "Badlands" starring Sissy Spacek and Martin Sheen and Bruce Springsteen's 1982 song "Nebraska."

In late 1957, police found the first of many bodies scattered throughout the region: a 21-year-old gas station attendant who had been robbed, abducted and shot to death. Two months later, police found a married couple's bodies in an outbuilding. Their 2-year-old daughter, clubbed to death by the butt of a gun, was discarded nearby in a cardboard box. The death toll kept piling up.

Starkweather was executed at 20. Clair, who maintained her innocence, was sentenced to life in prison. But she only served 17 years before being paroled in 1976, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that life sentences for minors were unconstitutional, reported the Detroit Free Press.

mwalsh@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2bPKuUDTp
    Last edited by *crickets*; 08-27-2013 at 05:46 PM.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    I didn't realize she was still alive. Also, that's the hospital I had my daughter at.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Wow, this was an easy one to figure out. Just had to see if I was correct.
    I have been fascinated with this case since I saw the movie Badlands.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Are idiots in the comment section talking about karma?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

From Topix, Stryker, OH:
    Caril Fugate of County Road, STyrker is living amongst you all. she is evil & a lair. Why does Stryker let her hide?
    Churchman
    Crewe, UK
    #8Dec 31, 2012
    Caril (Fugate) Clair of County Road Stryker Ohio, you are in self denial. Why do you hide? Tell the truth. You have never given life, you have only taken life. You are a murderer, admit it before you leave this world for hell.
    Miss bartlett
    Crewe, UK
    |#9Dec 31, 2012
    Caril Fugate of Stryker Ohio. Liar. Murderess. Tell the truth you old trout.
    Miss bartlett
    Crewe, UK
    |#10Dec 31, 2012
    Why did you kill me, sister Caril?
    Pansy S
    Crewe, UK
    |#11Dec 31, 2012
    Tell the truth Caril
    Nebraska
    Crewe, UK
    |#12Dec 31, 2012
    For some reason, "Tell the truth you old trout" made me fall on the floor laughing.
    Also, all these comments seem to be from the same (slightly obsessed) person in Crewe, U.K., posting under several names. 1 post per day, every day.

the bad guys in 'the frighteners' are also based on this couple.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

more comments from Topix:
    carol king
    Muxton, UK
    #6Sep 30, 2012
    that day I cried a lot
    Carol King was the name of one of their real-life victims. The quote "that day I cried a lot" was from Caril Fugate, said the day she entered prison.

Miss bartlett
    Crewe, UK
    #9Dec 31, 2012
    Caril Fugate of Stryker Ohio. Liar. Murderess. Tell the truth you old trout.

Miss bartlett
    Crewe, UK
    #10Dec 31, 2012
    Why did you kill me, sister Caril?
    this user name, 'Miss Bartlett,' is from the real-life case also. Caril's murdered mom was Velda Bartlett, also the note left on the front door by Caril was signed "Miss Bartlett":
    On January 21, 1958, Caril Ann came home from school to her family's rundown, one-story frame house in the poor Belmont section of Lincoln, Nebraska into the midst of her family's massacre. After an argument with Starkweather, Caril's stepfather, Marion Bartlett, 57, and her mother, Velda Bartlett, 36, were shot in the head. Caril's two-and-a-half-year-old baby sister, Betty Jean was clubbed to death in her bed.

Afterwards the couple prepared sandwiches and had lunch.

Starkweather hid the bodies outside and the young couple lived in the house for days. Twice relatives came by to find out why nobody from the family had been seen. Caril sent them away at the door, telling them everyone was sick. Detectives were called to investigate by Caril Ann's grandmother.

They found a note on the front door: "Stay away. Everybody is sick with the flu. Miss Bartlett."

A search turned up the body of Marion wrapped in paper in the chicken house. Caril's mother, Velda, and baby Betty Jean were found in an outbuilding. The lovers were already long gone driving across Nebraska killing and stealing.
    Last edited by *crickets*; 08-28-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Thread Information