Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Hannah Anderson (16)- kidnapped and recovered alive. Younger brother Ethan; Mother. Tina Anderson, killed.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    But the thing is, you're waking up thousands, potentially a million people, who are not only not going to get out of bed and start combing the streets, they're going to stop caring about this case because it's having ramifications on their own life.

However, you can turn off the alert on your smart phone.
    The thing is there are people out on the street, albeit a small percentage, at that time of night. They are the ones that need to be contacted immediately for in most cases of abductions, the window for detection gets smaller and smaller as each hour passes. As far as the people at home, I would argue that the alert will have a bigger impact than past alerts, for how often has one received an alert on their phone late at night? I betchya people were even more vigilant the next day because of it. And I wouldn't be concerned with people not caring. I don't really picture many people saying, "That alert pissed me off last night, so fuck that kid". Those people are just self asorbed assholes and probably would have never been good for that much of assistance in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pywackett View Post
    The thing is there are people out on the street, albeit a small percentage, at that time of night. They are the ones that need to be contacted immediately for in most cases of abductions, the window for detection gets smaller and smaller as each hour passes. As far as the people at home, I would argue that the alert will have a bigger impact than past alerts, for how often has one received an alert on their phone late at night? I betchya people were even more vigilant the next day because of it. And I wouldn't be concerned with people not caring. I don't really picture many people saying, "That alert pissed me off last night, so fuck that kid". Those people are just self asorbed assholes and probably would have never been good for that much of assistance in the first place.
    No, the point is that it's not inspiring anyone to look. You have signs all over California highways that declare amber alerts. Those serve a purpose. No one home for the night is going to suddenly set up watch in their windows. Most people I know were asleep when the amber alert went off, and incredibly pissed off about what a violation of privacy it was. And no one was under any impression that they were going to be the slightest bit helpful when it came to that case. Most people paying attention to amber alerts, for better or worse, are neighborhood watch types, not, frankly, me.

No, the point is that it's not inspiring anyone to look. You have signs all over California highways that declare amber alerts. Those serve a purpose. No one home for the night is going to suddenly set up watch in their windows. Most people I know were asleep when the amber alert went off, and incredibly pissed off about what a violation of privacy it was. And no one was under any impression that they were going to be the slightest bit helpful when it came to that case. Most people paying attention to amber alerts, for better or worse, are neighborhood watch types, not, frankly, me.
    Well, you are very good at stating opinions as facts, but I wil have to disagree with you here. Most people I know and work with were not pissed about the alert in the least and were talking about it and the story the next day, which is a good thing.

I guess we can all contribute towards our own anecdotal evidence towards this debate, but that doesn't sound too scientific to me.

If you don't want your phone to ring during the night, simply shut it off! At the end of the day, Hannah and Ethan are in danger, so overacting to a late night text alert really should put things into perspective..

Quote Originally Posted by MostStephanitley View Post
    If you don't want your phone to ring during the night, simply shut it off! At the end of the day, Hannah and Ethan are in danger, so overacting to a late night text alert really should put things into perspective..
    The point is, you couldn't override this unless you were aware that it was on your phone in the first place, meaning it went off whether your phone was off or on mute.

Ethan is dead, not in danger.

Bombarding people with amber alerts just redirected the attention of the case to the annoyance of unsolicited texts rather than focusing on saving one person, which is directly reflected by CNN and most national headlines regarding the case being PRIMARILY about the amber alert text and redirecting to ONE article about the actual crime.

My point is the text overshadowed the case.

It was an experiment that doesn't seem to have worked very well.

I think we should file this one in the ever growing "First World Problems" folder and move on to actually discussing the incident/case. Anybody concur?

I think we should file this one in the ever growing "First World Problems" folder and move on to actually discussing the incident/case. Anybody concur?
    Is there a reason you're being an asshole? The reason people are discussing the text is because there really hasn't been any additional news released about this case.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...ion-may-be-in/

That's pretty much it. Aunt says the body is ethan's, which makes the most sense, but the police haven't confirmed anything yet. Same stuff we knew yesterday.

There's been an unconfirmed sighting in Western Washington: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/U...218854061.html

The AMBER Alert was sent out in Washington state yesterday. I had a friend that supposedly saw the car going down I-5 North past the Tacoma Dome at about 9pm last night and called the police, but I guess nothing came of it. It doesn't make much sense to have him going down Highway 101 ten hours later anyway. I just wonder which sighting is the right one, if either of them are...

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Were people really that pissed about a late night text?! How loud are their fucking phones?
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I'm not really surprised people are bitching about the alerts hahaha. I just pointed out to my husband the other day that the older I get the more I hate people because I realize how much they suck. As a parent, if my child were missing and/or in danger I would do anything in my power to get the word out even if that meant knocking at people's door who might know something at all hours of the night. I also agree that it you don't want your phone waking you up at night turn that shit off. Amber alerts aren't the only alerts that can be sent to your phone either. Even if there's an advisory for the county (which is huge by the way) my phone will get the alert. I'm glad they've found a new way to get to get important time sensitive information to people because a lot of people don't pay attention to the news and even a quick glance at the information could save these kids lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Were people really that pissed about a late night text?! How loud are their fucking phones?
    Mine was on vibrate, so that's all it did when I got two alerts in the late afternoon yesterday. :/ People will whine about anything.

Is there a reason you're being an asshole? The reason people are discussing the text is because there really hasn't been any additional news released about this case.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...ion-may-be-in/

That's pretty much it. Aunt says the body is ethan's, which makes the most sense, but the police haven't confirmed anything yet. Same stuff we knew yesterday.
    I am being an asshole? Please sister, that could not be any further from the truth. Seriously, if receiving government orchestrated and arranged texts through your smart phone does not qualify as a 1st World Problem, then shit if I know what would. That comment isn't assholic, that is simply the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by damn_brat View Post
    Mine was on vibrate, so that's all it did when I got two alerts in the late afternoon yesterday. :/ People will whine about anything.
    Seriously. I think it's kinda pointless to alert sleeping people. But Jesus Christ is there nothing else to complain about?

A text cannot wake me up, so I have a really hard time understanding.

Are you familiar with the emergency tone that is played on TV and the radio? It's the same one. And if your ringer volume is set to low it somehow still rings through like a loudspeaker.

Also, I can hate on whatever I want because I do anyways. I think this would be a different story altogether if it only happened once as opposed to 5 times within 24 hours and the information remains the same. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

Also, ALSO. I will forever shut the fuck up about it the day this happens to any person who IS NOT WHITE.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

What the heck is ask.fm? Kids sure do have countless ways of interacting on social mediums these days. They should just argue on MyDeathSpace forums like us adults do. Anyways, this is Hannah's AskFm. A few kids told her to die a couple of weeks ago and that they she was the reason her daddy left the family. Teenagers really are precious.

http://ask.fm/hannahbanana722

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    Are you familiar with the emergency tone that is played on TV and the radio? It's the same one. And if your ringer volume is set to low it somehow still rings through like a loudspeaker.

Also, I can hate on whatever I want because I do anyways. I think this would be a different story altogether if it only happened once as opposed to 5 times within 24 hours and the information remains the same. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

Also, ALSO. I will forever shut the fuck up about it the day this happens to any person who IS NOT WHITE.
    Huh? According to the news, people of color NEVER go missing.
    No Indians, no Chineses, no Latinos. How awesome is that?

Also, what the fuck you talking about? It goes off like the emergency broadcasting system?
    You. Are. A. Liar.

Huh? According to the news, people of color NEVER go missing.
    No Indians, no Chineses, no Latinos. How awesome is that?

Also, what the fuck you talking about? It goes off like the emergency broadcasting system?
    You. Are. A. Liar.

Wow. My eardrums are bleeding.

That couldn't wake my cat up.

Wow. My eardrums are bleeding.

That couldn't wake my cat up.
    Oh shut up.

You probably don't even get alerts on your old ass phone if you can't see gifs or video.

Oh shut up.

You probably don't even get alerts on your old ass phone if you can't see gifs or video.
    Huh?

Huh?
    I might be confusing your phone with your computer. Whatevs. Point being, you would be the first to complain.

I might be confusing your phone with your computer. Whatevs. Point being, you would be the first to complain.
    When I finally wake up and see it?

Nah, probably not.

+10

When I finally wake up and see it?

Nah, probably not.

+10
    My first meme posted on MyDeathSpace. I wil be catching up to you in no time.

I wish presidential, amber, silver and Imminent Extreme/Severe alerts on you all. All of the time.

Thread Information