Thread: Billy Slagle (44) committed suicide 3 Days Before Scheduled Execution

Billy Slagle (44) committed suicide 3 Days Before Scheduled Execution

Didn't see this one posted yet:

CLEVELAND A man condemned to death for fatally stabbing a neighbor during a Cleveland burglary was found hanged in his cell Sunday just days before his Wednesday execution.

Billy Slagle, 44, was found at about 5 a.m. at the Chillicothe Correctional Institution south of Columbus and was declared dead within the hour, prison spokeswoman JoEllen Smith said.

"He was in his cell alone. No other inmates suspected to be involved," Smith said in an email. "It does appear to be a suicide."

Under regular prison policy, he was scheduled to be placed under pre-execution watch Sunday morning but "was not yet placed under constant watch," Smith said.

Police say in the wee hours of the morning, then-18-year-old Billy Slagle broke into his neighbor Mari Anne Pope's home and stabbed her 17 times with a pair scissors, reports CBS affiliate WOIO in Cleveland. Turns out two children she was watching that night heard the attack. They told detectives they heard Pope start praying and then heard her blood curdling screams.

In a rare move, the prosecutor in Cleveland asked the Ohio Parole Board to spare Slagle. Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Tim McGinty said jurors today, with the option of life without parole, would be unlikely to sentence Slagle to death.

The parole board and Gov. John Kasich both rejected mercy for Slagle.

Last week, Slagle's attorney argued that a jury never got the chance to hear the full details of his troubled childhood.

The attorneys, arguing for a new trial and to delay his execution, said that information met requirements for asking for a new trial, which normally must happen within four months of a conviction.

Slagle was "unavoidably prevented" from filing his request because his original attorneys didn't develop and present the evidence, the filing said.

McGinty and Slagle's attorneys had cited his age ? at 18, he was barely old enough for execution in Ohio ? and his history of alcohol and drug addiction.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-found-hanged/
    Also Gawker's article: http://gawker.com/death-row-inmate-c...ule-1023358037

it was posted in the death penalty thread... but sure, why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Well, that is one dose of the drug that is in such short supply saved for another execution!!
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

like i said in the other thread... i don't think his crime even came close to warranting the death penalty. he was young and impaired during a robbery and probably startled by the woman walking in on him. not that this is ok, but it's not like he raped and killed a classroom full of 6 year olds.

Yeah... I thought the DP was reserved for premeditated and extremely depraved acts too. I guess the prosecutor thought so too, since he asked for the death penalty option to be removed.

Though I suppose this murder would qualify as felony murder since it occurred during a robbery..

felony murder is bull shit. it just means that something went wrong. i don't believe it proves intent to kill.

There's also the fact that he stabbed her so many times. He had to have had intent to stab 17 times. But I don't know that he intended to kill her when he broke into her house.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    it was posted in the death penalty thread... but sure, why not?
    Boooo - I suck!

well, that is pretty bad... but i'm not an advocate of the DP and certainly not for a person who hasn't done something incredibly depraved.

I do on case by case basis, tho have opposed it more in the past. This one I am not sure was death penalty worthy.

i guess he thought "fuck you, you're not killing me, I'll take myself out"!

Thread Information