Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 2 Kids Dead After Snake Escapes Enclosure - Canada

Well, this topic was brought up before and it was speculated that because the kids smelled like goat, goat being delicious cookies to snakes, that could have attracted it. I don't think it's victim blaming as much as just establishing that this was a horribly unfortunate freak accident.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Well, this topic was brought up before and it was speculated that because the kids smelled like goat, goat being delicious cookies to snakes, that could have attracted it. I don't think it's victim blaming as much as just establishing that this was a horribly unfortunate freak accident.
    I know I was joking
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

This thread :

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...le-by-a-python

reminded me that we'd missed updates on the trial for Noah & Connor's deaths

The trial started on Oct 31st 2016. I hope they were unconscious before the biting started, beause if they were aware & screaming for help only to have no adult hear them it would've been an even more :horrifyingly cruel death

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...ie-tells-trial

Python made ?growling noises? after killing young brothers, trial of pet store owner hears

?Mr. Savoie was aware of the behaviour and nature of this African rock python that he was keeping. You will hear evidence that this snake was pretty aggressive?

The African rock python from Jean-Claude Savoie's Reptile Ocean pet store.

November 1, 2016
    6:12 PM EDT

Last Updated
    November 1, 2016
    8:33 PM EDT

CAMPBELLTON, N.B. ? A 45-kilogram python lunged, snapped its jaws, and made ?growling noises? when it was forced back into its pen after killing two sleeping boys, an RCMP officer told a jury Tuesday.

Const. Stephane Dugas described the scene on the morning of Aug. 5, 2013, shortly after Jean-Claude Savoie, who is facing trial for criminal negligence in the boys? deaths, called 911.

Dugas testified that he found Savoie wearing a bloody shirt, two boys who were beyond medical help, and a 4.7-metre snake in the laundry room.

Savoie followed Dugas? instructions to return the snake to its enclosure, where it made noises, rose up almost 1.8 metres and lunged at the glass, Dugas said.

The two boys ? four-year-old Noah Barthe and his six-year-old brother, Connor ? were covered in red marks, and one had a lot of wounds.

?I knew at the time not much could be done,? said Dugas. ?There was lots of blood.?

He said a paramedic examined the boys, but just shook her head.

Savoie, who now lives near Montreal, owned the Reptile Ocean pet store below his Campbellton apartment. The boys were having a sleepover with his son.

Crown attorney Pierre Roussel told the jury the python likely used an air duct to escape its enclosure in the apartment ? and had tried to escape before.

?Mr. Savoie committed a breach of duty to take care of those children when they were left with him by their mother,? Roussel told the jury. ?He didn?t kill them himself but he failed to take precautions.?

Roussel said in his opening statement they will hear the snake had gotten into the duct before, and that an employee had warned Savoie the vent cover needed to be repaired.

?Mr. Savoie neglected to cover said vent and left an opening in his snake pen and through that the snake was able to escape and cross through the vent and drop into the living room.?

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan

He said the vent cover was found on the floor of the snake enclosure.

?Mr. Savoie was aware of the behaviour and nature of this African rock python that he was keeping. You will hear evidence that this snake was pretty aggressive. That there were special measures that had to be taken in order to care for it,? he said.

Roussel called the deaths of the boys ?a sad story, a tragic story.? Savoie was a family friend who had taken the boys shopping and to a farm before the sleepover with his son.

Another police officer who responded to the scene also told the court Tuesday that he observed the python being very aggressive after it was put back into its enclosure.

?It was standing on its tail and charging the glass,? Sgt. Rene Labbe said. ?I observed the snake trying to reach the vent hole in the ceiling.?

Labbe said Savoie then grabbed the snake and put it in a garbage bin. It was then padlocked and removed from the property.

As the trial got underway Tuesday, the judge instructed the four-man, eight-woman jury about the presumption of innocence, and said Savoie starts with a ?clean slate? at the beginning of the trial.

TRANSCRIPT OF JEAN-CLAUDE SAVOIE?S 911 CALL:

911 operator: Where is your emergency?

Jean-Claude Savoie: 2 Pleasant (Street). Two kids are dead.

Operator: Is that where you live, sir?

Savoie: Yes, that?s where I live.

Operator: What do you mean, the kids are dead?

Savoie: That?s where Reptile Ocean is. There?s a python that got out and killed the two kids.

Operator: Say that again?

Savoie: There?s a python that got out. It?s a store here. We have? (he?s cut off by the operator)

Operator: A python?

Savoie: Yeah man.

Operator: Are they your kids?

Savoie: (Breathing heavily) They?re my neighbour?s kids. She knows. She?s here too. She?s next door. She?s freaking out.

Operator: OK. Stay on the line. Who lives there?

Savoie: I live there? The snake is still out. I got another kid up there. I have to catch the snake. Can you just send somebody here please?

Sections of this transcript have been edited.

The Canadian Press

https://globalnews.ca/news/3043960/n...sses-thursday/

November 3, 2016 9:21 am Updated: November 4, 2016 2:27 pm
    Python ?coiled? around N.B. brothers, repeatedly bit them, negligence trial told

WATCH ABOVE: Jean-Claude Savoie was back in court again Thursday as his trial continued in Campbellton. Savoie is charged with criminal negligence in the deaths of Connor and Noah Barthe, who were killed by a python while in his care. As Jeremy Keefe reports, day three provided the court with a lot of the technical information surrounding this case.

An escaped python coiled itself around two young boys, strangling them and biting them repeatedly, a pathologist told the trial of the snake?s owner Thursday.

?Most of the puncture wounds were found on the face,? Dr. Marek Godlewski testified Thursday about injuries to Connor Barthe, 6, at the criminal negligence trial of Jean-Claude Savoie in Campbellton, N.B.

Godlewski conducted autopsies on both Connor and his four-year-old brother, Noah, on Aug 6, 2013, a day after the snake killed them during a sleepover with Savoie?s son. He described each autopsy separately Thursday.

Godlewski found Connor suffered multiple puncture wounds, abrasions and bruises, as well as hemorrhages in his neck muscles, while Noah had multiple puncture wounds compatible with bites over his body. He says there was blood on Noah?s upper body.

Godlewski said the puncture wounds to Connor were consistent with snake bites.

?I do agree the pattern of the wounds (were) consistent with the pattern of the teeth of this snake,? he testified.

The boys died as a result of the snake ?coiling? around them, he said, with the specific cause of death being ?asphyxia due to neck strangulation.?

LISTEN: 911 call made by Jean-Claude Savoie after finding Noah and Connor Barthe dead

There was evidence of ?coiling? around Noah?s chest and neck, as well as marks on his face and nose, he said.

Savoie?s African rock python had escaped its enclosure. It?s believed the snake travelled through a ventilation duct and fell into the living room where the boys were sleeping. Savoie?s own son, who was sleeping in a different room, was unharmed.

Earlier Thursday, John O?Brien, the boyfriend of the boys? mother, testified he had noticed the cover for the ventilation duct on the floor of the python?s enclosure on several visits to the apartment ? as recently as the week before the boys? death.

The apartment was above a reptile store owned by Savoie.

The boys? mother, Mandy Trecartin, lived next door to Savoie, and O?Brien said he came over the morning of the tragedy, pounded the door and shouted: ?Oh my God, the kids are dead.?

O?Brien said he went to Savoie?s apartment, and found Trecartin?s sons dead on the floor.

?I checked for a pulse but there wasn?t anything. They were blue,? he testified.

Dr. James Goltz, the chief provincial veterinarian for New Brunswick, testified Thursday he saw nothing abnormal with the snake when he conducted a necropsy a day after the tragedy.

He said its stomach was empty, indicating it hadn?t eaten for at least a day. He also described how a python can change its diameter by contracting ? an issue that has come up during the trial because its resting width appeared larger than the duct it apparently escaped through.

Goltz said the snake was about 3.7 metres long and weighed about 24 kilograms.

Also Thursday, Bernard Gallant, co-ordinator at the Magnetic Hill Zoo in Moncton, told the court he had visited Savoie?s Reptile Ocean store four or five times over the years, and often conferred with Savoie on reptile issues.

?He showed us he was competent,? said Gallant. ?I was quite impressed with what he put into the construction of the facility.?

He said when the Canadian Wildlife Service was trying to place the snake, it had offered it to the Magnetic Hill Zoo, but they didn?t have an appropriate enclosure at the time. Gallant said he told them to approach Savoie.

The Crown expects to call its final witness Friday.

It's 2 years old but this verdict sux

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle32759960/

Jury finds python owner not guilty in deaths of New Brunswick boys

UPDATED APRIL 8, 2017
    A jury has found a New Brunswick man not guilty of criminal negligence causing death after his African rock python escaped its enclosure and killed two young boys three years ago.

Four-year-old Noah Barthe and Connor Barthe, 6, died during a sleepover in Jean-Claude Savoie's apartment in August 2013.

The python escaped by travelling through a ventilation duct and dropping into the living room where the boys slept. A pathologist who performed autopsies on the boys said they died of asphyxiation and each was covered in puncture wounds from snake bites.

Savoie and his relatives wept in court as the verdict was delivered Wednesday night, eight hours after the jury began its deliberations.

Savoie, 40, declined comment as he left the court, but defence lawyer Leslie Matchim said his client was relieved.

"It's been quite a roller coaster road for him to have been implicated in this matter, investigated and at one point told that there would be no charges," he said.

Matchim said an investigation by the RCMP and two subsequent reviews concluded that charges were not appropriate. He said he received that assurance in writing.

The lawyer said a new lead investigator was then appointed and suddenly is client found himself facing a charge.

He said Wednesday's verdict is ultimate vindication for his client.

"This tragedy took a tremendous toll on him. He was really like family to those two victim boys and that is something that he absolutely has to carry for the rest of his life," Matchim said.

Mandy Trecartin, the boys' mother, showed little emotion and declined comment as she left the court Wednesday night.

Crown prosecutor Pierre Roussel said the family was disappointed with the verdict, but said it's too soon to consider whether to appeal.

In his charge to the jury Wednesday, Judge Fred Ferguson said that the Crown must have proven "three essential ingredients" in order for them to convict Savoie of criminal negligence causing death:

- That Savoie, "as the only adult in his residence that night," had a duty to protect the brothers, and that he failed that duty.

- That he "showed wanton and reckless disregard for the lives and safety" of the boys.

- And that his failure to take "reasonably appropriate measures to care for or protect Connor and Noah Barthe" contributed significantly to their death.

"If Crown counsel fails to prove any one of these three essential ingredients beyond a reasonable doubt, you must find Jean-Claude Savoie not-guilty of criminal negligence causing death," the judge said.

The boys had spent the day of the sleepover petting animals and playing at a farm owned by Savoie's father. Bob Johnson, the now-retired former curator of reptiles and amphibians at the Toronto Zoo, testified at Savoie's trial that snakes become more aggressive when they detect possible sources of food ? and an attack would have been unlikely had there been no animal smells on the boys.

"Those boys could have been a stimulant to that snake," he said.

A number of witnesses testified during Savoie's trial that it was common to see the cover of the vent on the enclosure's floor, and the court heard the snake nearly escaped a matter of weeks before the boys' death, but got stuck in the ventilation pipe.

Savoie's lawyer told the jury in his opening statement that Savoie believed the snake was too big get through the duct, so he didn't see a need to secure the opening.

Savoie, he said, was clearly wrong.

"Being wrong isn't necessarily criminal negligence," said Matchim.

In his testimony, Johnson said any snake enclosures for the Toronto Zoo would have a system of double doors and any openings would be securely caged. The enclosure in Savoie's apartment had a "dryer vent" style of cover for the ventilation duct that was not secured with screws or tape, he said.

Johnson said the enclosure lacked items such as rocks and branches to stimulate the python.

"I would not say that is very conducive to the well-being of the snake," he said.

A veterinarian who conducted the necropsy on the snake testified it appeared the snake hadn't fed in at least 24 hours.

Johnson said once a snake bites, it is very difficult to unlock that bite, and the large snake could have coiled around both boys at once.

He responded to the earlier testimony of RCMP officers about the python's aggressive behaviour after it was captured ? hissing and lunging at the glass of the enclosure.

"A snake that responds like that is a very aggressive snake," he said. "It was an extreme response to human presence. This animal was dangerous."

Johnson said the enclosure lacked items such as rocks and branches to stimulate the python.

"I would not say that is very conducive to the well-being of the snake," he said.

A veterinarian who conducted the necropsy on the snake testified it appeared the snake hadn't fed in at least 24 hours.

Johnson said once a snake bites, it is very difficult to unlock that bite, and the large snake could have coiled around both boys at once.

He responded to the earlier testimony of RCMP officers about the python's aggressive behaviour after it was captured ? hissing and lunging at the glass of the enclosure.

"A snake that responds like that is a very aggressive snake," he said. "It was an extreme response to human presence. This animal was dangerous."
    How the fuck does any of that add up to the dude having no guilt in what happened? Snakes are evil and should be sent someplace far away from people to live. I would piss my pants and scream like an 8 year old girl if I ran into a snake in person.

Thread Information