Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2 Kids Dead After Snake Escapes Enclosure - Canada

Maybe this is the reason ?

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/06...-new-brunswick

Snake that killed two kids had escaped its enclosure before

The snake that killed two young boys in an apartment above an exotic pet store in Campbellton, N.B., had escaped from its enclosure before, according to a snake expert who is assisting police and has been briefed on the case.

Barely able to keep the anger out of his voice, Bry Loyst, curator of the Indian River Reptile Zoo, told QMI Agency that Monday wasn't the first time the African rock python had made its way into the ventilation system.

"This was an accident waiting to happen," said Loyst, who was en route to Campbellton, about 475 km north of Saint John.

Noah Barthe, 4, and his brother Connor, 6, were found dead around 6:30 a.m. Monday. The RCMP said the boys were at a sleepover with the son of the owner of Reptile Ocean, who lives above the store.

Store owner Jean-Claude Savoie, who told Global News the snake is his pet and wasn't for sale, said he is reeling from the tragedy.

"My body is in shock. I don't know what to think," he told the broadcaster.

"I feel like they're my kids."

Savoie said he found the two boys in the living room and thought they were sleeping. His son was in another room and unharmed.

"I turned the lights on and I (saw) this horrific scene," he said.

Police said they believe the 45-kg snake entered the ventilation system through a vent above its enclosure, which reached nearly to the ceiling of Savoie's apartment. A pipe broke, and the snake fell into the living room where the boys were sleeping on a mattress.

A provincial vet euthanized the snake and a necropsy will be performed, police

Loyst said police told him the children had been at a petting zoo until as late as

He guessed that the snake, after escaping its pen, followed the scent of those

National Geographic describes the African rock python as "one of the world's most vicious." It can grow to six metres — double the length allowed under the province's exotic wildlife regulations unless the owner has a special permit, the department of natural resources said Tuesday.

The penalty, under the Fish and Wildlife Act, is a fine of $50 to $300.

Police wouldn't comment on whether Savoie had the proper permits, saying that is a matter for the province, but police did say they're treating the case as a criminal investigation "even though the suspect is not a human."

Loyst said lax laws are to blame for the tragedy.

He said only about 25 of Canada's approximately 200 zoos and aquariums are accredited facilities, required to meet the safety and animal care standards set out by Canada's Accredited Zoos and Aquariums (CAZA).

The boys' great-uncle, Dave Rose, speaking on behalf of the family at a news conference Tuesday, said Noah and Connor were "typical" kids who "enjoyed life

Autopsies on the boys were to be conducted Tuesday in Saint John.

— With files from Sarah Deeth

ETA the murder investgation seems to be mentioned only in the Perth News - which is Western Australia - it seems odd that a news agency on the other side of the world would break this news? This comment was posted under the article & I have to admit I've had the same result as thr person who made this comment -

A quick search of all American and Canadian News don''t say anything about it being amurder investigation. Where are your sources? This don''t sound like legitimate reporting. Use facts! 14 August, 2013 -7:14AM
    I wonder if they saw the mentions of a criminal investigation & just jumped to conclusions? Pretty crap reportingb I that's the case
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-13-2013 at 04:06 PM.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/09...-reptile-ocean

(snipped - full article at link)

Environment Canada Helped Deliver Child-killing Snake

09, 201307:17 PM EDT

The African rock python that killed two young boys while they slept was delivered to New Brunswick with help from the federal government.

Environment Canada spokesman Mark Johnson said Friday the snake was dropped off anonymously at the Moncton SPCA in 2002, and the ministry's specially trained wildlife officers helped place it at Reptile Ocean in Campbellton, N.B., in August of that year.

That species of snake is illegal in N.B. except by permit, which the province's department of natural resources said is only issued to accredited zoos.

According to Environment Canada's records, Reptile Ocean was operating as a zoo at the time.

On Friday, officials seized a slew of illegal reptiles from Reptile Ocean, which was operating as a pet shop. Natural resources obtained a warrant to search the store after Noah Barthe, 4, and his brother, Connor, 6, were found dead Monday morning in the apartment above the shop. Both premises are owned by Jean-Claude Savoie, who kept the python as a pet in the apartment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...s-escaped.html

Former employee of Reptile Ocean pet store says fan was removed, never replaced

(Aug. 14, 2013) The python that killed two young boys in Campbellton, N.B., escaped because of human error involving a missing fan in its enclosure, according to a former employee of the Reptile Ocean pet store.

"It was a flaw, it was actually a flaw," said Tim Thomas, referring to the large glass enclosure that went all the way up to the ceiling.

He revealed the information when he spoke last Friday to Urban Jungles Radio Network, a web-based radio program about reptiles.

"It's a ventilation fan that's in the ceiling, OK?" said Thomas. "Now, I'm not sure if it was me that took that fan out, because it had burnt out ? or maybe somebody had taken the fan out and forgot to cover it up, replace it or what.

"But I mean, nobody would ever ... This is, like, a one-in-a-million-shot deal that this would actually happen, and it did. It did. Unfortunately, it did."

Noah Barthe, 4, and his brother Connor, 6, were killed by an African rock python in an apartment above Reptile Ocean during a sleepover with the son of the shop's owner. The brothers' bodies were discovered on Aug. 5.

A preliminary autopsy found they died of asphyxiation.

Officials have said they believe the python, which was 4.3 metres long and weighed about 45 kilograms, made its way through the top of its enclosure and into a ventilation system before falling through the ceiling and into the living room of the apartment.

A criminal investigation continues.

'Heart of the matter'

A lawyer for Jean-Claude Savoie, the owner of Reptile Ocean, said the fan removal goes "to the heart of the matter," but declined any further comment.

"I wouldn't want to go down that road with you," said Leslie Matchim.

African rock pythons are illegal in New Brunswick.

Thomas told CBC News he worked for Reptile Ocean for 13 years and handled the python in question many times. He described the python as "vicious."

He said a green anaconda ? also a banned species in the province ? had previously been kept in the same enclosure.

"She was in there for two, three years," said Thomas. "She never got through that, she never thought about it. It just so happened that the African rock did find it and did manage to do what she did."

The other enclosures at Reptile Ocean were well-secured with two locks ? a slide lock and a master lock and key, he added.

Bry Loyst, from Peterborough's Indian River Reptile Zoo, was in Reptile Ocean last week, co-ordinating the removal of 27 illegal animals.

He confirmed there was a hole in the ceiling, where the fan used to be. Loyst also said that the ceiling beside the enclosure was covered in black mold.

Loyst said in his opinion, based on what he saw, it would have been easy for the python to escape.

The Barthe brothers were sleeping on a mattress about two to three metres from the enclosure, he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Python hysteria strikes the Canadian media

40 pythons found in Canada motel ? ten days after two boys killed by escaped snake

The seized ball pythons, all between 1 and 4 1/2 feet, were being stored in several plastic storage containers inside the motel room, police said. Cops said they launched an investigation, but no arrests have been made.

BY JOE KEMP / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

SATURDAY,AUGUST 17, 2013, 2:24 PM
    An animal cruelty investigator holds one of 40 ball pythons that were seized from a southern Ontario motel room.

Ten days after two Canadian brothers were killed by an escaped 14-foot python, authorities found 40 of the snakes at a southern Ontario motel.

The seized ball pythons, all between 1 and 4 1/2 feet, were found in several plastic storage bins that were being stored in a Colborne St. motel on Thursday, Brantford Police said in a statement.

?These snakes are well-handled, but I?m sure situations could arise when they can be dangerous,? James said.

Brandon James, an inspector with the Brant County SPCA, said the reptiles were suffering from dehydration.

?We popped the lids of the containers and saw a mass of snakes,? he told the St. Catharines Standard.

The 40 pythons were being kept in plastic containers that were stuffed inside a southern Ontario motel room.

?They were all entangled. They were in distress because of the overcrowding.?

Brandon James, an investigator with the Brant County SPCA, said the death of two boys in early August

It was not immediately clear if police questioned a couple who had been evicted from the room before the stash of snakes was found.

Cops said they were still investigating the incident, but no charges had been filed.

Noah Barthe, 6, and his 4-year-old brother, Connor, were killed by an African rock python that escaped from an enclosure at their friend?s apartment.

A 100-pound African rock python strangled two young brothers as they slept after the creature escaped an enclosure inside the Campbellton, New Brunswick, home on Aug. 4.

Connor Barthe, 6, and his 4-year-old brother, Noah, were sleeping at a friend?s apartment above an exotic pet store when the killer serpent slipped out of its cage and into the room where they were sleeping.

Noah and Connor Barthe, inseparable during their life, were buried in the same casket.

The python was captured and euthanized. A necropsy later found the snake was in good health when it died.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police launched a criminal investigation, which is ongoing.

Authorities have said that the pet shop?s owner may not have been licensed to keep the python, which is banned in the province.

James said the tragic deaths sparked a lot of fear about the snakes. But he didn?t think the pythons found could kill.

?It was probably an isolated incident,? James said. ?There is fear it may happen again. There is no reason to believe that it would happen with these smaller snakes, but I don?t know them well.?

jkemp@nydailynews.com

@joekemp
    & it only seems fair to present the snake's side - from the comments section :
    ZONG 3 days ago

This is nuts.. Ball pythons are harmless. Even if they do bite, Its not even as bad as getting bit by a hampster or pet rat. These animals are NOT ILLEGAL in Canada, nor should they be. African rock pythons on the other hand can be dangerous. They grow very large and are usually aggressive, but still not near as dangerous as some dogs. The media is just trying to sell their story, so they make it sound as bad as possible to get people talking.

As far as terrible thing that happened to those poor boys, its still an open case. A 100 pound snake crashing through the ceiling and killing two boys while not waking them and without biting or trying to eat them is crazy.. Anybody that knows anything about snakes knows this. How can the media already say it was the snake when the police dont even know? So now the sheep that believe everything they hear on the news think snakes are some crazy murders.

AMBER CHESTNUT 3 days ago

Are you kidding me?!?! Ball Pythons are completely harmless, their bites are less annoying than cat scratches (because they don't itch) They don't grow big enough to kill anyone, and again as with the snakes THIS IS THE OWNERS FAULT NOT THE ANIMALS.

And "black market" why is there a black market for something that's completely legal to own again!?!?

AMBER CHESTNUT 3 days ago

Also, those snakes look completely healthy. There's no stuck shed, they have water dishes. They like small spaces, now if the cops *actually* opened a box and found many snakes in one box that's one thing, that's not cool, but hell the pink box is even a little too big as far as head room. They're the type of animal that likes to stay in small places and only come out when they want something to eat. Letting them have too large of spaces actually stresses them out more than being in what people who don't actually know anything about snakes would consider too small of a space.

HOPEINTHEDARK 3 days ago

Do your research people - ball pythons are far too small, even when fully grown, to kill even a child. Scare-mongering by the media as usual. Whether or not it's legal to keep them, this story has been spun to make it sound like they're dangerous, which they're not. They can cause less damage than a terrier
    The snakes in the article are small Ball Pythons that remain small. The python that escaped it's tank was a large African Rock Python

I'm no snake expert, lizards, geckos & frogs are my thing, but this seems a little like demonising domestic kitties after a lethal tiger attack.

ETA only found this while looking for updates on whether they've closed the investigation with no charges laid & will make sure I bump for a real update next time, promise! (some hugz & a sorry for anyone annoyed by my "no real update" bump).

Man who owned python in Campbellton, N.B. attack arrested: lawyer

http://globalnews.ca/news/1813960/ar...mpbellton-n-b/

CAMPBELLTON, N.B. ? The owner of a Campbellton, N.B. exotic pet store has been arrested in connection with the deaths of two young boys who were asphyxiated by a python in August 2013.

The lawyer for Jean-Claude Savoie confirmed his arrest on Thursday.

?I know that Jean-Claude Savoie has been arrested today. That?s all I know,? said Leslie Matchim. ?I don?t know if or what charges have been laid. I don?t know if a court date has been set.?

RCMP said earlier that a person was arrested Thursday and is in custody in Quebec. Cpl. Chantal Farrah said no charges have been laid but the investigation is ongoing.

Matchim said after being told by RCMP no charges would be laid, followed by an announcement that charges could be coming, ?nothing comes as surprise now.?

Four-year-old Noah Barthe and his six-year-old brother Connor were killed in Campbellton after a 45-kilogram African rock python escaped its enclosure inside an apartment where they were staying for a sleepover.

The apartment was above the Reptile Ocean exotic pet store, which was owned by Savoie.

Quote Originally Posted by sogs View Post
    Nothing matters but the lesbian.

I totally forgot about this one. Sure took them a while to arrest him.

Thanks for the interesting update, missbad!
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Took em long enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Wait, wouldn't this be more a lawsuit than a criminal trial? I guess it depends on whether they can prove that his negligence contributed to the snake getting out, but in all fairness, sometimes shit just happens.

Wait, wouldn't this be more a lawsuit than a criminal trial? I guess it depends on whether they can prove that his negligence contributed to the snake getting out, but in all fairness, sometimes shit just happens.
    Didn't he like, not have it covered very well or something like that? Maybe I'm thinking of a different thread...

I'm too lazy to go back and read, and it's only 3 pages. Ha...

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

If I recall correctly, he didn't have a permit for that snake, so there will likely be a charge for that. And there was supposedly a hole in the ceiling of the snake enclosure where an exhaust fan or vent of some kind had been removed but not replaced, so I guess that would be negligence.

If they charge him with manslaughter or something like that, I suppose it would be similar to cases in which people are charged with murder or manslaughter when their dogs kill someone .

I hate snakes with every fiber of my being!

The stuff nightmares are made of for me. The kinds with the little rounded heads I can look at and not freak. The ones with angular heads like pythons, anacondas and venomous pit vipers, I can't even watch on tv. I once attempted to be desensitized and it made me worse.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

Snakes don't phase me. Spiders don't phase me.

But if that shit can hop???

Get me the fuck outta there!

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Snakes don't phase me. Spiders don't phase me.

But if that shit can hop???

Get me the fuck outta there!
    yup. cricket hate here.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Haha there are crickets all over my yard, I do not give a fuck. Snakes and spiders, no fucking thank you.

Haha there are crickets all over my yard, I do not give a fuck. Snakes and spiders, no fucking thank you.
    I'm just terrified by anything that might jump into my hair or hop up a pant leg.

Around where I live there are copperheads (lost a dog when I was younger to one) and if I ever came close to one, I can pretty much guarantee I will scream like a 6 year old girl, piss my pants, and have a heart attack all at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Around where I live there are copperheads (lost a dog when I was younger to one) and if I ever came close to one, I can pretty much guarantee I will scream like a 6 year old girl, piss my pants, and have a heart attack all at the same time
    What a fetching visual.

It doesnt take a genius to figure out the African Rock Python did it. Ball Pythons are everywhere, they are relatively harmless.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

You could give me crickets, snakes, mice, no worries.

I don't fuck with spiders, scorpions, roaches, or rats.

Well, pet rats are fine, but I can't handle wild rats within my living quarters. B used to live in the hood and there were rats in the street like squirrels. They don't skeeve me out, but they're super resilient and destroy houses.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

What a fetching visual.
    You better believe it. It would definitely be eye catching

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    You better believe it. It would definitely be eye catching

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    I tried to rep you both but I'm either rep-whoring you guys or just a lazy repper...so +1 to you both and a toaster to Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    What a fetching visual.
    Stop trying to make "fetch" happen, Gretchen. It's not going to happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post
    Stop trying to make "fetch" happen, Gretchen. It's not going to happen!
    I am not even sure what that is supposed to mean lol but Why does she get a toaster!?!

Thread Information