Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Kids Dead After Snake Escapes Enclosure - Canada

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Oh shit. Of course they would be. & goat smell is strong even to us. Even if they scrubbed the smell would probably linger.
    I think the smell would still be there, too - although I also saw experts hypothesizing that maybe the snake landed on them when he fell through the ceiling and just "grabbed onto" whatever he landed on which happened to be the boys.

Ugh. I just can't even imagine how their momma is coping with this. So damn bizarre and sad.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

What I don't get though is if he thought they were prey why didn't he eat one of them?

Not that I particularly care, but for the sake of accuracy, we should probably change the title on this thread. (Since the snake didn't escape the pet shop.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Across the bottom of the screen during the morning news said this mother has photos posted of the boys in a snake cage! Anyone else see/hear of this? ?

Really unfortunate, but I'm glad to see that people are mostly placing the blame on the stupid owner rather than the snake. Big snakes look imposing and a lot of people have phobias, but they are generally much easier to take care of than other pets. You don't need to take them for walks, they don't try to hump your leg and you never have to worry about breaking up a snake fight. That this snake came upon two sleeping children and (for whatever reason) killed them lies on the shoulders of the irresponsible owner.
    I'm up against it all
    Like a leaf against the wind

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gram Parsons View Post
    Really unfortunate, but I'm glad to see that people are mostly placing the blame on the stupid owner rather than the snake. Big snakes look imposing and a lot of people have phobias, but they are generally much easier to take care of than other pets. You don't need to take them for walks, they don't try to hump your leg and you never have to worry about breaking up a snake fight. That this snake came upon two sleeping children and (for whatever reason) killed them lies on the shoulders of the irresponsible owner.
    Do you mean people here? Because people here are mostly not stupid and know that animals are animals and therefore not really culpable for being, you know, animals.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

This is one of the cases that pop into my head now and again. it's stuck with me you could say. It's just so scary and random, like you'd see in a movie. It's a freak thing.

Of course it's not the snakes fault. I'm not fond of them, but you can't place blame on the snake.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    I used to breed snakes, and never had ONE escape. All it takes is common sense.
    And yes, I had big ones too. I still have a scar from a Burmese python bite, but that was my fault lol.
    The goat smell thing makes sense otherwise I can't see this snake just going along like "KILL EVERYTHING"

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

I'm telling you now, if I visited a friend & instead of a small dog, a giant snake rushed to greet me & began humping my leg, I don't believe I'd consider visting again.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsArkwood View Post
    Across the bottom of the screen during the morning news said this mother has photos posted of the boys in a snake cage! Anyone else see/hear of this? ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_3724727.html

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Love View Post
    What I don't get though is if he thought they were prey why didn't he eat one of them?
    That's what I've been asking myself too! Why would the snake strangle and kill 2 boys just for the hell of it and not to actually eat one? Dude found the snake in a hole not waist deep swallowing a child.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post
    That's what I've been asking myself too! Why would the snake strangle and kill 2 boys just for the hell of it and not to actually eat one? Dude found the snake in a hole not waist deep swallowing a child.
    It happens. In other cases they tried but stopped because the victim was too large, so they leave to find something smaller. They've figured it out from bite marks in previous cases with Burmese pythipons ( I think, will look for something to back up my rumours after dinner).

That is so tragic. Their poor families. That pet store owner is fucking jerk.

Tragic new photos showing little Connor and Noah Barth scrubbing out a serpent cage reveal just how familiar the brothers were with the deadly python that strangled them in their sleep.

The pictures of the shirtless boys, age 4 and 6, in their underwear were posted on their mother's Facebook page. Mandy Trecartin also posted a picture of the children playing in a smaller glass cage.

The pictures have emerged as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police revealed that they ordered the 14-foot African rock python destroyed on Tuesday. Its carcass has been taken to a local zoo where herpetologists will perform a necropsy on it.

Jean-Claude Savoie kept an unknown number of massive reptiles in large glass cages at his pet shop and museum Reptile Ocean in Capbellton, New Brunswick, Canada, including the python, a large anaconda and several crocodiles, according to pictures on his Facebook page.

It is unknown whether this enclosure housed the 14-foot python that escaped and strangled them in their sleep

The two little boys are seen here playing in the sand it a large snake cage

It is unknown whether the boys were in the cage that housed the deadly python that killed them as they slept on Monday morning.

The African rock python, which killed six-year-old Connor Barthe and his brother Noah, four, on Monday morning, was being kept in a second-floor apartment above the pet store.

Authorities are investigating whether Mr Savoie had the correct permits for the snake. African rock pythons are not among the exotic species that New Brunswick residents are allowed to keep as pets.

A New Brunswick government official, Steven Benteau, said African rock pythons are not allowed under the Exotic Wildlife Regulation.

Heartbroken: Mandy Trecartin poses with her two sons, seven-year-old Connor and five-year-old Noah, who were apparently strangled to death by a python as they slept above a pet shop

Deadly: This African Rock Python is pictured on Jean-Claude Savoie's Facebook and could be the one that slithered from the pet shop and killed the boys as they slept

'It is illegal for anyone to keep any exotic species that is not listed in the regulation unless they have a permit from the Department of Natural Resources,' he said.

'If such an animal is found, it will be confiscated and the person who possesses the animal can be charged under the Fish and Wildlife Act.'

Authorities also revealed that the snake escaped through a small hole in the ceiling of its glass enclosure that connected to a ventilation shaft. As the snake crawled through this shaft over the living room, the structure collapsed.

The huge serpent landed beside the brothers, who were in the living room for a sleepover. Autopsies are being carried out on the boys, but it is believed they were strangled by the snake.

Details of their deaths came as relatives paid tribute to the adorable brothers and recounted their last happy day together before the tragedy.

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, the boys' great-uncle, David Rose, said they spent the day with the snake's owner, Jean-Claud Savoie, and his son - enjoying a barbeque and swimming.

'They enjoyed life to a maximum, their last day was spent playing with friends in the backyard,' Rose said, adding that the two families stocked up on groceries before heading to Savoie's farm.

'There they played with llamas, and goats and horses, they played with dogs and cats in the hay loft,' he said. 'They went for a ride with Jean-Claude on his tractor and he even let them steer. They had a super day.'

The two families enjoyed the evening together until around midnight on Sunday, when the boys went to sleep. Mr Savoie's young son returned to his bedroom to sleep.

'That's the type of life they had and that's the type of life we want to remember,' Mr Rose said, as he became emotional.

A tearful Roland Trecartin, the boys' grandfather, added to MailOnline: 'We're all in shock. The boys were sweethearts. Lovely, lovely children.'

Full article & more pix at -

http://www.ablxboston.com/national/1...pent-cage.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    Do you mean people here? Because people here are mostly not stupid and know that animals are animals and therefore not really culpable for being, you know, animals.
    There are always people that cry "OMG BAN SNAKES!!!" when something like this happens. I was speaking of the general public, as in my experience most users on MDS are more level headed than your typical news site commenter.
    I'm up against it all
    Like a leaf against the wind

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Am I the only one who feels that it is unsanitary and, well, basically disgusting for these kids to be barefoot, in their skivvies and in ankle-deep water with some old sloppy mop that's used to clean the skank out of a snake's cage? Just me? They could have at least put some rubber boots on them or something. Barf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

too bad the kids didn't have a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    There are always people that cry "OMG BAN SNAKES!!!" when something like this happens. I was speaking of the general public, as in my experience most users on MDS are more level headed than your typical news site commenter.
    Oh, I'm with you then. Most people are morons.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    Am I the only one who feels that it is unsanitary and, well, basically disgusting for these kids to be barefoot, in their skivvies and in ankle-deep water with some old sloppy mop that's used to clean the skank out of a snake's cage? Just me? They could have at least put some rubber boots on them or something. Barf.
    Nope, that's NASTY. Especially because snake poop from snakes that big is REALLY nasty.
    Especially when they poop in their water.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post
    I heard a snake expert talking about this case and he said that when a big snake falls from a distance, it's first reaction is to coil and cling to the nearest thing where it lands in order to secure itself. So if this snake fell near the sleeping boys, it may have quickly coiled around the boys out of fright. I'm not sure where I heard this man talking but if I can find it, I'll post it here.

The snake is in custody?
    What a horrible story. Can't make this shit up.

My son was bit by an anaconda in 96 at a pet store. He was 10.

Southern Undertaker Key West Digger's Avatar
    Snake deaths now a murder investigation
    Two Canadian boys killed by a python could now be a homicide

Investigations into two young Canadian brothers thought to be strangled by a python has taken a twist, with police now treating it as a possible murder.

Connor Barthe, 7, and brother Noah, 5, were killed while they slept in an apartment above an exotic pet store, but there were no screams.

It comes after the mother of the pair posted hundreds of photos of her boys taken last year, playing in and cleaning her neighbours snake cage.

Police have stepped up their inquiries, but won?t release further details until full post mortem results are known.

Snake experts have also raised questions stating pythons seeking food always bite first.

John Marais from the African Snake Bite Institute said ?if it grabs a kid, you?re going to have more than enough time to scream?.

?You can?t be asleep and be bitten by a python and strangled. That?s impossible,? Mr Marais told News Limited. ?You?re going to wake up instantly.?

It?s believed the non-poisonous rock python escaped its enclosure and got into the ventilation system, before slithering into the apartment where the boys were sleeping.

Article @ http://www.fox.com.au/fox-news-feed/...investigation/

So what are authorities trying to say? That one of the parents did it and blamed the snakes?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    So what are authorities trying to say? That one of the parents did it and blamed the snakes?
    Maybe, unless it's a neglect thing? I've been trying to envision how a roof caves in without waking the kids who would then have jumped out of bed & been screaming about the roof caving in well before the snake got hold of them - unless they were incredibly heavy sleepers it really doesn' make much sense.

ETA also, when they said sleepover I assumed they meant just the kids but that article sounds like mum was there. So I guess it means they're saying either it wasn't the snake at all, or that the adults should've heard something & would've had time to act. I dunno - you'd think it would be hard to fake a roof cave-in without it looking obviously faked but it sounds as though maybe there's no bite marks? I don't know much about snakes, but everything I've heard & read tells me no bite marks is quite unusual.
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-13-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Southern Undertaker Key West Digger's Avatar
    Unfortunately this was all the info given in the article...

Thread Information