Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Esteemed college professor, 61, revealed to be teen killer who murdered his family in 1967

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Very true. I had an uncle who was in and out of trouble throughout his teens. Finally messed up so big time he went to prison. He was lucky enough to end up with some people who cared enough to help him get his hs diploma and when he got out he was lucky enough to get work released to a decent job. He never got into another bit of trouble. Who knows what might have become of him if he'd been cut loose with nothing?
    Since race gets dragged into everything lately, I figured it can't hurt to ask. What decade was this uncle getting into trouble? I am wondering how many slaps on the hand he got before finally being incarcerated.
    I'm only wondering because people love to bring up prison stats for non-whites all the time, but it's usually one-and-done for those folks. Not always, just sayin' though.
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 08-07-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Since race gets dragged into everything lately, I figured it can't hurt to ask. What decade was this uncle getting into trouble? I am wondering how many slaps on the hand he got before finally being incarcerated.
    I'm only wondering because people love to being up prison stats for non-whites all the time, but it's usually one-and-done for those folks. Not always, just sayin' though.
    Boom.

Oh, and I'm going to need your source sited, quoted, and dated.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Boom.

Oh, and I'm going to need your source sited, quoted, and dated.
    Totally off topic, but this is something from back in the day where I noticed that someone died due to his white privilege.

http://www.mydeathspace.com/article/...elevator_shaft

He was running around Times Square drunk out of his mind, but the cops kept letting him go.
    "Oh, he's drunk and silly. Let's just send him home."

I'm only wondering because people love to being up prison stats for non-whites all the time, but it's usually one-and-done for those folks. Not always, just sayin' though.
    Late 50's, early 60's.

I'm not sure how many times he was in trouble before they sent him to prison. I know he was at some sort of juvenile detention place, maybe Boys Town? Then later, I know he was ordered to join the army, hated that so "convinced" them to dishonorably discharge him. I also know he felt badly abused that they charged him with armed robbery, when all he had was a comb in his pocket.

He got out in 73.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Totally off topic, but this is something from back in the day where I noticed that someone died due to his white privilege.

http://www.mydeathspace.com/article/...elevator_shaft

He was running around Times Square drunk out of his mind, but the cops kept letting him go.
    "Oh, he's drunk and silly. Let's just send him home."
    Tha fuck? Was this guy roofied?

And yeah, he totally did die at the hand of his white privilege. I want someone to argue this, though. I'm bored.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Late 50's, early 60's.

I'm not sure how many times he was in trouble before they sent him to prison. I know he was at some sort of juvenile detention place, maybe Boys Town? Then later, I know he was ordered to join the army, hated that so "convinced" them to dishonorably discharge him. I also know he felt badly abused that they charged him with armed robbery, when all he had was a comb in his pocket.

He got out in 73.
    I love that Puzz's family is close in age to mine.

To me this reeks of white, upper-middle-class male privilege. The 15-year-old kid in Fla. who randomly shot 2 people is in jail right now facing first-degree murder charges. The Wolcott kid randomly killed his family, spends 6 years in a mental hospital, miraculously regains his sanity when he turns 21, gets a payout and goes free? Sorry but it just doesn't sit well with me, that he was able enjoy a life without financial stress on top of walking away from what he did. And now people feel sorry for the poor guy because he was 'outed' by that horrible, mean reporter? Well boo fricking hoo.

Wolcott could (should) have worked his way through school and paid his way with student loans, like millions of other kids do.
    Last edited by *crickets*; 08-07-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    To me this reeks of white, upper-middle-class privilege. The 15-year-old kid in Fla. who randomly shot 2 people is in jail right now facing first-degree murder charges. The Wolcott kid randomly killed his family, spends 6 years in a mental hospital, miraculously regains his sanity when he turns 21, gets a payout and goes free? Sorry but it just doesn't sit well with me, that he was able enjoy a life without financial stress on top of walking away from what he did. And now people feel sorry for the poor guy because he was 'outed' by that horrible, mean reporter? Well boo fricking hoo.

Wolcott could (should) have worked his way through school and paid his way with student loans, like millions of other kids do.

To me this reeks of white, upper-middle-class male privilege. The 15-year-old kid in Fla. who randomly shot 2 people is in jail right now facing first-degree murder charges. The Wolcott kid randomly killed his family, spends 6 years in a mental hospital, miraculously regains his sanity when he turns 21, gets a payout and goes free? Sorry but it just doesn't sit well with me, that he was able enjoy a life without financial stress on top of walking away from what he did. And now people feel sorry for the poor guy because he was 'outed' by that horrible, mean reporter? Well boo fricking hoo.

Well fuck me dead. Where is Clouseau when you need him?

I am cracking up over MOST of the post made in here.

I am happy that the guy reformed himself. HOWEVER, I would like to know a full background check on him now, just in case.

I'm not sure anyone "feels sorry for him". Maybe I missed a few comments, but I don't remember anyone saying that.

I just don't see anything good coming from a guy who just got outed for murdering his entire family (after living a continued life of peace, supposedly). Since he likely won't be able to work again, it would not surprise me if this guy "relapsed" into a psychosis since he now has nothing to lose. The sympathy isn't for him. It's for the people he could potentially harm, since he at one point had it in him to off his own family.

Hopefully he does not, and he just retires and writes a book about his life. However the "what if" isn't something to be over looked.

Reporters and media love to out a good drama without the consideration of what the after shock might do.

Additionally, you can't get student loans if you're an ex-con. So that wasn't an option for him.
    Last edited by Shins; 08-08-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    I'm not sure anyone "feels sorry for him". Maybe I missed a few comments, but I don't remember anyone saying that.

I just don't see anything good coming from a guy who just got outed for murdering his entire family (after living a continued life of peace, supposedly). Since he likely won't be able to work again, it would not surprise me if this guy "relapsed" into a psychosis since he now has nothing to lose. The sympathy isn't for him. It's for the people he could potentially harm, since he at one point had it in him to off his own family.

Hopefully he does not, and he just retires and writes a book about his life. However the "what if" isn't something to be over looked.

Reporters and media love to out a good drama without the consideration of what the after shock might do.

Additionally, you can't get student loans if you're an ex-con. So that wasn't an option for him.
    Yeah. He's probably got a great book in him...

But is he an ex-con? or former mental patient? I suspect that with his shiny new identity, he would have qualified for student aid which in the 60's & 70's was mostly grants and work study rather than loans you have to pay back. "I'm a poor orphan boy sir!"
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Yeah. He's probably got a great book in him...

But is he an ex-con? or former mental patient? I suspect that with his shiny new identity, he would have qualified for student aid which in the 60's & 70's was mostly grants and work study rather than loans you have to pay back. "I'm a poor orphan boy sir!"
    I know that when I filed for my student loans, they asked every question in the book and basically if you admitted to so much as smoking weed, you weren't getting approved.

I didn't think about how the system might have been different then, but I imagine there are some major obstacles in getting federal grants when you've killed your entire family. He definitely didn't have the same situation as "millions of other kids". Even with a changed name, he still has the same SSN.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Late 50's, early 60's.

He got out in 73.
    My bff's cellmate in prison got a lennngthy sentence for robbing a gas station with a squirt gun.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. My husband's aunt - I don't know, do you say developed schizophrenia? When she was around 23ish. She was brilliant and was going to school to become a nurse. This would have been the late '70s? The husband vaguely remembered her. Come to find out, she was thrown in a hospital and then some how was in an apartment. My husband and his cousin found where she lived and it was absolute squalor. They cleaned it out and found her help through the state - she now has complications from Parkinson's. I'm still very angry with his mother's side of the family for letting it get to the point that it did; they lived a few miles from her. It was like, out of sight, out of mind.

On one hand, I'm glad he was able to accomplish so much in his life. On the other, I'm like, holy shit, you murdered your family and you have no right to enjoy your life. Like the "system" worked tremendously for his benefit. It reminds me of those crime shows you see where the old person is found to have committed a murder 40+ years ago and have lived a law-abiding life. On one hand, I'm like, well, they've learned from their mistakes. On the other hand, I'm like, well, fuck you.

If he did this today would the jury's decision been the same? I doubt it, but you don't know. If anything, I feel it was a "great miscarriage of justice." I feel like I should put the trademark after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Huh? you're a woman?

He probably miraculously regained his sanity long before he was 21. Remove the substance abuse you remove the psychosis - well in my experience it takes months - 2 years. So I'd say he probably stayed locked up for 3-4 years after he recovered. There's really nothing much miraculous about it. I'm an atheist & I personally subjected myself to this "miracle" 20 yrs ago. I didn't even get stigmata - just a lot of radio static & garbled voices.

I've been on the poverty side of a degree too & had to drop out of the first one at 19 & go back to work because between travel, class hours & assignment load I was left with 9 hrs every 24 to shower, eat, sleep. In my case it was work or study - I couldn't have both & my mother was violently opposed to further education for girls (on religious grounds, of course so no help there). But I'd never begrudge anyone else the chance to do what I couldn't. You can't fix something that's fucked up & unfair for some by making it fucked up & unfair for everyone.

& I got it wrong earlier - Charles Whitman never made it to court. He was shot dead by police before he coud be arrested. He'd wiped out his family before climbing the Texas Uni Tower & picking off the students below- that was 1966 & it would've been fresh in the minds of this 1967 jury when they considered James Wolcott's actions. I think they woud've scrutinised him even more because of it. Everyone involved at the time was in agreement he was fucked up - everyone. So is his recovery the only "evidence" the current "faker" accusations are based on ?

Drug-induced psychosis does exist. It's drug-induced, so when the drugs are gone, so's the psychosis - unless you already had schizophrenia. The symptoms perfectly mimic schizophrenia - this was not known in the 60's & even if it had been , it's not the kind of information they shared in drug education back then - so how did James Wolcott manage to perfectly fake an as yet unknown psychosis?

& what did his great plan get him? Had he not murdered his family, he could've gone to Uni 3 years earlier at 18 & begun the same academic career completely unhindered - it's not like he came from a family opposed to higher education, so where's the benefit gained? Life in a mental hospital would've been far more opressive than life with normal parental controls - only an idiot, a crazy person, or somone enduring extreme long-term abuse would think otherwise. & the unanimous verdict is that James Wolcott was no idiot.

I don't doubt for one minute that a mentally ill black kid or poor white kid would've been given the death penalty or life . But again, you can't fix an injustice for some by applying the injustice equally to all - the only thing you'll get is a greater injustice.

ETA & just in case, this isn't supposed to sound grumpy, I've got a couple of very specific reasons to see this case from a perspective most people will never have, I totally understand why people don't view it from the same angle, this is just stuff to think about, I'm not going to be miffed if people disagree with me
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-08-2013 at 08:37 PM.

& I got it wrong earlier - Charles Whitman never made it to court. He was shot dead by police before he coud be arrested. He'd wiped out his family before climbing the Texas Uni Tower & picking off the students below- that was 1966 & it would've been fresh in the minds of this 1967 jury when they considered James Wolcott's actions.
    Blighted Star, off topic, will be brief. Whitman had a brain tumor (not sure if said tumor contributed to his spree).
    James Wolcott just huffed chemicals. Oy vey, I forgot what I was going to say. LOL, my excuse is opana.

Thread Information