Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Esteemed college professor, 61, revealed to be teen killer who murdered his family in 1967

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    Some of the comments are pretty hilarious...liberal vs conservative, and dragging race and Trayvon into the discussion (a black kid would never have gotten away with murdering his family...) Sheesh!

Also, the article talks about the young James Wolcott growing his hair and opposing the war back in the 60's...it looks like Prof. St. James is still an old hippie. There's a pic of him from the back talking to the reporter who broke the story, and his hair is in a long braid.
    Oh look, you did that thing again...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I remember watching a show about the same kind of incident. A man killed his parents at 14-16 and was released at 18. He moved away from where he grew up and married(he told his wife his parents died in an accident I think). He then formed an obsession over his niece and ended up killing her, his wife and himself. History often repeats itself.

ETA: his name was Carl Brandt

There was the Bovingdon?? Bug kid in the U.K too. I think he put thallium in the tea or something? He was in Broadmoor for years proclaimed "cured" & set free. He then proceeded to conduct the same "experiments" in the lunch room at work. There was a movie about him in the 90's I think? Will find a link & edit it in soon ...

ETA Graham Young. The workplace poisonings were initially mistaken for a virus & nicknamed the Bovingdon Bug.

From wikipedia -
    A film called The Young Poisoner's Handbook (1995) is loosely based on Young's life.

In November 2005 a 16-year-old Japanese schoolgirl was arrested for poisoning her mother with thallium. She claimed to be fascinated by Young
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Young
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-04-2013 at 06:30 PM.

If the media hadn't had a slow day we would have never known about this. He paid his debt to society by the standards of the time. Leave the poor guy alone. Good lord! Huffing can cause all kinds of damage and not all long term. He obviously turned his life around and became something of himself. A Ph.D in Psych yes, so maybe he sought to understand more about why he did what he did and turned that into a career, how horrible!!
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; They listen with the intent to reply." ~ anonymous
    "Keep calm and sing Soft Kitty"
    "it is what it is!"

I just think, if he was a terrible person, we would be reading stories about other incidents. The fact he's reached 61 and no other documented incidents, nobody coming out saying "he's a bad man, he abused me" or whatever says a lot.

Yes, i know socipaths/psychopaths/whateverelsepaths put on masks. yes they can blend in with society to an extent, often a large extent., and some more than others. But trust me, they do fuck up at some times along the way. Their will always be a few people that will have a story about them.

These people need to mistreat and abuse someone. If he was a whateverpath, he would have mistreated at the very least one other person. But even only one is unlikely. if a somethingpath gets away with murder by insanity, they are EVENMORE likely to strike again. They have a massive ego
    I guess you could say, people would be to scared to come out and say what he did. Asbolutely possible. But by w hat little we have to go by, i think he was a ypung mentally ill lad who has had help and is stable.

Also his reasons for doing what he did don't mean a lot to me. Just cause he didn't say "they were out to kill me" or whatever.I don't think that evidence he wasn't paranoid. What he done was obviously terrible, but i don't think we are dealing with a monster here.

like I keep saying, i could be so wrong. We will have to wait to see what else comes out about his story!

Wow. Today's the 46th anniversary? Hope he's got company over the next few weeks. This is particularly bad timing if he has been remorseful all this time.

Pix from
    http://wilcoonline.com/what-happened...des-p820-1.htm

Jim Wolcott, 1964
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-05-2013 at 02:15 AM.

He has remorse.....he committed a horrible crime. He has no other criminal past as far as I have researched and I have a lot more access than most. Again, leave the man alone!
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; They listen with the intent to reply." ~ anonymous
    "it is what it is!"

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImBatman! View Post
    He has remorse.....he committed a horrible crime. He has no other criminal past as far as I have researched and I have a lot more access than most. Again, leave the man alone!
    I mean, he didcommit multiple murders. No one's picking on him.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

From

http://wilcoonline.com/wolcott-eliza...-p827-158.html. 25 July 2013

Causes often have a focus or an inspiration to guide and motivate participants to more and greater action. Vicki Vickers, the Williamson County District Attorney Office Manager, steadfastly stood up for Libby Wolcott, making her the touchstone for why this story continues to be important. Sadly, victims of a murder are often the forgotten part of the story. No matter the outstanding life a person led, when death is by homicide, generally that is all people focus on afterward. Because of Libby, there remains a real sadness about an event nearly half a century ago, and a reason to continue working for justice for victims in general. For all Libby could have been...

Elizabeth "Libby" Wolcott 1950-1967

LIBBY WOLCOTT was brilliant; an honor student and likely to be the valedictorian of her class. She was an all-A student as early as the seventh grade but was not really a book-worm. She was a very popular! She played the mandolin, and was her class treasurer in her final school year. She was known to be a wonderful actress, although she could also be shy. She loved the outdoors, was active in the Methodist Youth Fellowship and worked at the Weir Ranch at the Methodist Day Camp in the summer of 1967.

-GeorgetownAdvocate

Wolcott - Justice

Cathy Payne -Thursday, July 25, 2013

As Americans we like to think we know what justice means and we have faith that our system will provide it. As a general rule, I personally have great faith that, although it's not perfect, no better system exists in the world today. While James Wolcott did go through our system, and was even tried as an adult at sixteen years old, the lingering question in this case remains, "was six years in a state hospital - for a cold-blooded triple murder with no apparent motive" appropriate??

Indeed, this once "paranoid schizophrenic" appears to have lived a model, if not exceptional, life since; he has become a doctor of psychology and a well-liked university professor. I just can't forget the other wellliked university professor, his father, whose life and similarly great work was cut tragically short. Not that there is anything that can be, or should be done from a legal perspective today. In fact, Williamson County District Attorney Jana Duty, who has built a reputation for taking on the toughest cases, concedes that this one is over. As much as she would love to see James stand trial for his mother and sister's deaths, there are just too many hurdles that would be impossible to overcome,- says Duty.

"This crime occurred 46 years ago" most of the witnesses have long since passed away, the meaningful physical evidence is gone, but most significantly, since he was found to be insane when he killed his father, the same evidence would require a jury to find him insane when he killed his mother and sister, - she says, explaining why the remaining indictments were dropped in 1974. Although Dr. St. James asserts that he is "profoundly uninterested" in what the people of Georgetown think about him, maybe there is a small measure of justice for Gordon, Elizabeth, Libby and the people of Georgetown just in knowing that he knows that we know who he is.. (C) Copyright 2013 Fidelis Publishing Group

-GeorgetownAdvocate

If these are the original articles then this journalist's whole "I'm only doing it for the victim's" justification for running the story sounds like crap. This was about getting her name out there, not getting justice.
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-04-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: removing ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I mean, he didcommit multiple murders. No one's picking on him.
    Sweets I love ya...and again everyone here has nothing to go on. He was given his term in a psych hospital...completed it, yes? Went on to live an normal life. FOR ALL OF THOSE OPPOSED TO THE DEATH PENALTY, this is what you hope for, no?
    "it is what it is!"

Can't have it both ways even if they committed the crime! I love this case!
    "it is what it is!"

None of us in any case that is presented here on MDS hadsroom to judge!!!! Out situations might be similar and we can EMPATHIZE. If he killed his step dad over abuse?? How many of you have thought about it if you were in that situation?? Beaten, raped???
    "it is what it is!"

None of us in any case that is presented here on MDS hadsroom to judge!!!! Out situations might be similar and we can EMPATHIZE. If he killed his step dad over abuse?? How many of you have thought about it if you were in that situation?? Beaten, raped???
    Hun I believe it was his real father that he murdered. I had not read anywhere that he was being abused. Say he was being abused ( which he wasn't) then how would that explain his killing his mother and sister?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

& yeah, some people are picking on him, there's lots of stuff in article comment sections - apparently there have been tv segments now too. It's been referred to as a witch hunt but I guess it's probably a bigger deal in the town he lived in as a teen, & the town he lives in now - & I guess comments like the following explain why he changed his name back in 76.

Further more Milikin Alum- what soap box are you standing on? I would suggest he pick up a broom at the local prison and sweep the floors. Prisons need cleaning too, or better yet he can teach the in mates how to reform, since he is among the best and the brightest of teachers. Since he is the only known man in history to have beaten Schizophrenia, he can write down the formula for us. "Sad state of mental health" - he's a pro! He can reform the mental health system. I will tell you what, my kids wont go there, knowing this. Come on? How does anyone know if he has never killed since then. Go to your local police department, let's see how many unsolved cases there are. If he can make it 50 years having murdered 3 people with others knowing this- he could cover up some cases along the way? Couldn't he? He is that smart right? He took three lives and you people are defending his. Let him defend his on his own. I just don't buy this story. That's all I'm saying. Who gets away with murder? I guess now we have the answer to that question.

REDH
    http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local...?mode=comments

There seem to be some comments that suggest he's spoken of abuse, and others that suggest people got a "vibe" from his father - which of course could be complete & utter bullshit, simple misunderstanding etc, etc, but in any case these comments are out there. & there's the fact that most happy, well-adjusted teens with supportive parents don't huff glue on a daily basis - that's not recreational drug-use.

From crickets linked article again - http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2...-st-james.html

Samuel Doughty 10 hours agoAt the time of the murders, I was a graduate student at UT-Austin and a former Southwestern student. In the school year before the murders, I taught physics and mathematics at SU, and I was well acquainted with Prof. Gordon Wolcott.

I recall to this day a conversation we had outside the science building on the side walk. He was talking about his family and how proud of them he was. He mentioned his daughter, Libby, and he made a comment I have forever thought was very very strange. Talking about how pretty she was (I don't think I ever saw her), he did say, "She is a bubble butt." I thought that was an odd, rather sexual way for a father to talk about his own daughter.
    Is this at all credible? Anyone know if bubblebutt was even used in the 1960's?
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-05-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Is this at all credible? Anyone know if bubblebutt was even used in the 1960's?
    Excellent question
    http://books.google.com/books?id=neV...0slang&f=false

Routledge says 1990.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Damn, I love this forum...where else can you find a member who will research and document the origin of the word 'bubblebutt'?

And blighted star, you ARE a star and a supersleuth as well!

BTW, I have not seen any mention or allegation of abuse by the parents anywhere. And it was his biological father he killed, not a stepdad.

ETA: He IS an old hippie...he has a Grateful Dead sticker on his pickup truck! (thanks to blighted star for the link to the original story in the 'Georgetown Advocate'!)
    Last edited by *crickets*; 08-05-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Sweets I love ya...and again everyone here has nothing to go on. He was given his term in a psych hospital...completed it, yes? Went on to live an normal life. FOR ALL OF THOSE OPPOSED TO THE DEATH PENALTY, this is what you hope for, no?
    I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to have the opportunity to be a productive member of society, just that I don't really feel that bad for him that his past isn't swept under the rug. He seems to be pretty well supported, though.

What does him being an old hippie have anything to do with anything?
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Part of the friction between him and his father came from him wanting to protest the war. Very hippieish behavior.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Part of the friction between him and his father came from him wanting to protest the war. Very hippieish behavior.
    See also: taking out your entire family.

it has nothing to do with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. I just don't know why it's being focused on. I mean, he didn't off his family because he was a hippie. He was huffing glue.

I think crickets post was more light hearted and not to be taken literally. Like, 'OMG he wanted to have long hair and oppose the war and now he has long hair and a Greatful Dead sticker! The horror!' I think it was, literally, an observation. Just like the observation that has been made about his long hair.

..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    I think crickets post was more light hearted and not to be taken literally. Like, 'OMG he wanted to have long hair and oppose the war and now he has long hair and a Greatful Dead sticker! The horror!' I think it was, literally, an observation. Just like the observation that has been made about his long hair.
    It's just been brought up a few times, so I was genuinely curious as to what the significance was.

It's just been brought up a few times, so I was genuinely curious as to what the significance was.

Personally, I do find it interesting. It was pointed out in the first article that it was an area of contention with his father. He takes dad out and grows a ponytail over the next 46 years. The Greatful Dead sticker alludes to hippiedom + ponytail. A lot of the comments on the articles is about how he is 'cured of schizo' and many people aren't buying it. Maybe he is smart enough to play nuts, which I think still makes you crazy.' What if he did kill the family because he was that enraged about the ponytail. What do investigators always say? Something about the smallest details might be what breaks the case? No matter how insignificant we might think it is?

I'm still taking it all with a grain of salt. I just see why other people would mention it, because of the original story.

I also am not sure what my opinion is. I'm still reading the comments and articles linked to absorb as much info as possible. Something doesn't sit well with me, but I think the dude has done his time and should be able to move on. At the same time, I still don't have a strong opinion. I don't know if any of this makes sense. I'm just unsure.

..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Thread Information