Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Condoms: Male Birth Control Methods.

Beyond Condoms: Male Birth Control Methods.

We've been hearing in the news for years that male birth control is coming soon but nothing ever seems to manifest. I've read articles about hormonal contraception for men, but what guy wants to deal with those side effects when women have been agreeable to do it all this time? Hormonal birth control for men would likely have similar side effects: weight gain, acne, loss of libido. some even link hormonal birth control to cancer. I've read about injections into block flow through the vas deferens, essentially a less invasive alternative to a vasectomy.

Here's a new one:

Possible New Birth Control Method for Men

A group of scientists in Mexico is busy at work on a new birth control method for men that doesn't involve using hormones or sterilization.

It's not yet clear whether this new method would be a pill, cough syrup, injection, or something altogether different. But its developers have promised two things: The new contraceptive will have no major side effects and will only temporarily suspend a man's fertility.

If it works, the new method would offer an alternative to hormone-based male contraceptives with familiar side effects like wild mood swings, acne, and loss of sexual appetite. It might also mean that men could take a greater role in birth control responsibilities, which often fall primarily on women.

Here's how it would work:

The researchers -- biochemists and molecular biologists based at Mexico City's UNAM University -- say they have discovered two proteins that are unique to sperm cells, called CatSper and Slo3. These proteins essentially give sperm the energy they need to navigate a woman's ovaries and fertilize her eggs.

The scientists are now trying to develop a molecule that can disable CatSper and Slo3, thus depriving sperm cells of the mojo they need to do their jobs.

New contraceptive methods for males could be quite important in cattle ranching and fisheries, according to Dr. Alberto Darzon, the UNAM team's leader. But he added that human males could also use more options for birth control.

"Until now, there has been no male contraceptive method that has temporary effects and is efficient and safe," Darzon told the UNAM?s press office. "It's amazing that until now, society has placed on women the responsibility of dealing with the secondary effects of birth control methods. That is a clear sign of gender discrimination."

Of course, men could just keep using condoms, instead of taking birth control pills, injections or the like. But for those who want to be extra safe, or for those who have a long-term partner and dislike using condoms, alternative contraceptive methods like this one could be an attractive option.

What do you think? Should dudes share a greater portion of the birth control responsibilities with their female partners?

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/...ry?id=19322179

--------------

i know a tiny bit about how the whole reproductive process works. imo, it would make more sense if they could come up with some kind of inhibitor to the sperm's enzyme (the acrosome on the head of sperm) which allows it to penetrate the egg. messing with this 'mojo' confuses me a bit, but the article is dumbed down so i'm not sure if they're actually saying this will some how affect the mitochondria of the sperm, mitochondria are where cells energy production happens. or if it would somehow alter the tail so the sperm couldn't propel themselves. i wish the article was more specific, for the nerds out there who want to know more.

so i'm interested in what the men folk think. would you take birth control? is it your responsibility, or is that strictly in the woman's court since we're the ones with wombs?

i'm also interested in what the ladies think, however. would you trust a guy to take a pill every day or would you still take birth control yourself? what about alternative, or non hormonal, measures? personally, a product would have to be on the market for a long time before i trusted that it worked, especially if it was something like the article above where they're just trying to steal a sperm's "mojo."
    Last edited by emmieslost; 08-02-2013 at 01:20 PM.

I think it seems like that a lot of women's birth control is a wild card that can lead to some pretty nasty side effects. One of the largest complaints that women have with the pill too is weight gain. Since men's bodies are different I think they could avoid the weight gain or possibly take on extra weight better since we're generally taller. I'm 6'1" and weigh 195-200lbs. I could probably gain 5-10 or lose 5-10 and not look much different.

Hell, why not both parties get on birth control. You'd have to have one destined sperm to reach through that barrier to actually create a child.

I hate birth control pills with a fiery passion and look forward to men experiencing how goddamn awful they are and what a toll it takes on your body.

My boyfriend has been snipped, which will suck down the line but is ideal now.

ETA: birth control doesn't just make women fat. It can create constant nausea, rapid mood swings, depression, bad skin issues, lack of sex drive, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    We've been hearing in the news for years that male birth control is coming soon but nothing ever seems to manifest. I've read articles about hormonal contraception for men, but what guy wants to deal with those side effects when women have been agreeable to do it all this time? Hormonal birth control for men would likely have similar side effects: weight gain, acne, loss of libido. some even link hormonal birth control to cancer. I've read about injections into block flow through the vas deferens, essentially a less invasive alternative to a vasectomy.

Here's a new one:

Possible New Birth Control Method for Men

A group of scientists in Mexico is busy at work on a new birth control method for men that doesn't involve using hormones or sterilization.

It's not yet clear whether this new method would be a pill, cough syrup, injection, or something altogether different. But its developers have promised two things: The new contraceptive will have no major side effects and will only temporarily suspend a man's fertility.

If it works, the new method would offer an alternative to hormone-based male contraceptives with familiar side effects like wild mood swings, acne, and loss of sexual appetite. It might also mean that men could take a greater role in birth control responsibilities, which often fall primarily on women.

Here's how it would work:

The researchers -- biochemists and molecular biologists based at Mexico City's UNAM University -- say they have discovered two proteins that are unique to sperm cells, called CatSper and Slo3. These proteins essentially give sperm the energy they need to navigate a woman's ovaries and fertilize her eggs.

The scientists are now trying to develop a molecule that can disable CatSper and Slo3, thus depriving sperm cells of the mojo they need to do their jobs.

New contraceptive methods for males could be quite important in cattle ranching and fisheries, according to Dr. Alberto Darzon, the UNAM team's leader. But he added that human males could also use more options for birth control.

"Until now, there has been no male contraceptive method that has temporary effects and is efficient and safe," Darzon told the UNAM?s press office. "It's amazing that until now, society has placed on women the responsibility of dealing with the secondary effects of birth control methods. That is a clear sign of gender discrimination."

Of course, men could just keep using condoms, instead of taking birth control pills, injections or the like. But for those who want to be extra safe, or for those who have a long-term partner and dislike using condoms, alternative contraceptive methods like this one could be an attractive option.

What do you think? Should dudes share a greater portion of the birth control responsibilities with their female partners?

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/...ry?id=19322179

--------------

i know a tiny bit about how the whole reproductive process works. imo, it would make more sense if they could come up with some kind of inhibitor to the sperm's enzyme (the acrosome on the head of sperm) which allows it to penetrate the egg. messing with this 'mojo' confuses me a bit, but the article is dumbed down so i'm not sure if they're actually saying this will some how affect the mitochondria of the sperm, mitochondria are where cells energy production happens. or if it would somehow alter the tail so the sperm couldn't propel themselves. i wish the article was more specific, for the nerds out there who want to know more.

so i'm interested in what the men folk think. would you take birth control? is it your responsibility, or is that strictly in the woman's court since we're the ones with wombs?

i'm also interested in what the ladies think, however. would you trust a guy to take a pill every day or would you still take birth control yourself? what about alternative, or non hormonal, measures? personally, a product would have to be on the market for a long time before i trusted that it worked, especially if it was something like the article above where they're just trying to steal a sperm's "mojo."
    I'm not sure if this particular article is talking about the same thing, but I've read articles about a drug that makes the tail unable to work correctly.

They should probably test that on men that don't want kids... Maybe I'm just ignorant, but it seems a little risky (like what if the body doesn't recover to make normal sperm again?).

i haven't taken birth control in years... i stick with the condoms (but more so abstinence). i wouldn't trust a man who says he's on contraceptives any more than a man should trust a woman to do it.

but - i do think it would be a great option for men who are unwilling to have children. it'll be a boon to them. worry free fucking - who wouldn't want that?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

It won't be worry free, though, anymore than the introduction of women's birth control, which left women sterile or suffering other terrible ailments from the meds.

My aunt used a form of birth control in the 70s that infamously left her and hundreds of women sterile.

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    I'm not sure if this particular article is talking about the same thing, but I've read articles about a drug that makes the tail unable to work correctly.

They should probably test that on men that don't want kids... Maybe I'm just ignorant, but it seems a little risky (like what if the body doesn't recover to make normal sperm again?).
    this is what concerns me, what if it fucks you up forever? i'm thinking that the article is probably talking about effecting the tail of the sperm, i just wish it said more.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    It won't be worry free, though, anymore than the introduction of women's birth control, which left women sterile or suffering other terrible ailments from the meds.

My aunt used a form of birth control in the 70s that infamously left her and hundreds of women sterile.
    in the beginning they were giving women huge amounts of hormones which was unnecessary and incredibly harmful and dangerous. i think this is probably a large part of the reason we've been hearing about male HBC for a long time but haven't seen anything hit the market.

the worry-free stuff would be more along the lines of blocking the sperm and not using hormones.

do men place such a heavy emphasis on the importance of being a father at some point like many women do?

for me, i could take it or leave it (motherhood), or so i've often said. however - i've always had it in the back of my mind that it is my duty as a woman to conceive at some point. the meaning of life or something. hopefully, you live past childhood and go on to get married and have babies that hopefully live past childhood to do the same.

i don't see guys with that same sort of biological imperative and so i don't see the risks of being rendered sterile outweighing the benefits to taking something that can keep you from procreating. i've noticed that the young men today have much less of an issue with getting vasectomies at a young age. i know several guys who've done it before the age of 30 and doctors don't mind handing them out indiscriminately.

my older guy friends who haven't had kids never tell me that they wish they had an oopsie baby or even that they wish they had decided to have one. i think men, for the most part are kind of ok with getting their rocks off with no intention of bringing another life into the world.

Guys actually have a stronger biological imperative to "spread their seed" which is also why they are genetically less inclined towards domesticity. This is true of all male species--they are biologically programmed to perpetuate the population as much as possible.

Women want kids to raise--men want to hit it and run.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    do men place such a heavy emphasis on the importance of being a father at some point like many women do?

for me, i could take it or leave it (motherhood), or so i've often said. however - i've always had it in the back of my mind that it is my duty as a woman to conceive at some point. the meaning of life or something. hopefully, you live past childhood and go on to get married and have babies that hopefully live past childhood to do the same.

i don't see guys with that same sort of biological imperative and so i don't see the risks of being rendered sterile outweighing the benefits to taking something that can keep you from procreating. i've noticed that the young men today have much less of an issue with getting vasectomies at a young age. i know several guys who've done it before the age of 30 and doctors don't mind handing them out indiscriminately.

my older guy friends who haven't had kids never tell me that they wish they had an oopsie baby or even that they wish they had decided to have one. i think men, for the most part are kind of ok with getting their rocks off with no intention of bringing another life into the world.
    Whoa, when dating guys that was one of the first things that was mentioned. Not in a crazy 'we're going to get married and be together forever!' kind of way, but just to know what they wanted out of life. I just thought, why waste anyone's time? I knew I didn't want them and that's pretty much a deal breaker for a relationship if both people aren't on the same page. My husband is the only one man that I've heard say straight up that he did not want kids...
    Last edited by holly; 08-02-2013 at 03:07 PM.

We should try to keep the female birth control stuff in the over thread. We need more mens posting in this one.

Guys actually have a stronger biological imperative to "spread their seed" which is also why they are genetically less inclined towards domesticity. This is true of all male species--they are biologically programmed to perpetuate the population as much as possible.

Women want kids to raise--men want to hit it and run.
    but i don't think it necessarily translates into men wanting to have a ton of mini them's spread all out about the countryside. that biological imperative just evolved into, like you said - hit it and run - with no reproductive reasoning (as far as human animals are concerned...).

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I've since met a few men that said they wished they didn't have kids
    That made me really sad.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

I posted it in there earlier this evening. I think it's hard to separate male from female in the birth control discussion...they go so hand in hand. Just like when so many people discuss their guy's vasectomies in the female birth control thread. One leads to the other because unfortunately there is no perfect solution and everyone keeps seeking out better options and the discussion of such is good.
    not trying to be an asshole but it is pretty simply to distinguish between male and female forms of birth control. i started this thread so that we could talk about male birth control and so that the men will participate more. if it becomes a big lady-fest where the women dominate the conversation with talk about IUDs, ect. the men will won't participate.

i also know a lot of guys who will tell you they never want kids. i actually know very few guys who actually wanted/want to have kids. most of them that do are older.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    It does me too. I want all kids to be wanted and loved. Every kid deserves at least that much IMHO!
    For sure. I honestly don't see guys not thinking it's the wimminz job, though.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

I hate birth control pills with a fiery passion and look forward to men experiencing how goddamn awful they are and what a toll it takes on your body.

My boyfriend has been snipped, which will suck down the line but is ideal now.

ETA: birth control doesn't just make women fat. It can create constant nausea, rapid mood swings, depression, bad skin issues, lack of sex drive, etc.
    It's kind of like how men are playing a role in women's rights and laws. A bunch of male chemists are making your birth control. "Well it causes all these side effects. Good enough for them."

Same chemists making birth control for men. "Shit, it has a lot of side effects. We can do better!"

sexist chemists

Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Meow View Post
    It's kind of like how men are playing a role in women's rights and laws. A bunch of male chemists are making your birth control. "Well it causes all these side effects. Good enough for them."

Same chemists making birth control for men. "Shit, it has a lot of side effects. We can do better!"

sexist chemists
    exactly. the interest in female birth control very much comes as a benefit to men, but so much easier if they don't have to deal with it directly (aside from creating, testing, marketing, writing the scripts, ect). i touched on this in my original post. it's not only sexism, it's self preservation.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    but i don't think it necessarily translates into men wanting to have a ton of mini them's spread all out about the countryside. that biological imperative just evolved into, like you said - hit it and run - with no reproductive reasoning (as far as human animals are concerned...).
    Let me put it this way: the amount of men in this country who have like 20 fucking kids they aren't taking care of completely contradicts this.

It has nothing to do with emotional response to kids, it's just a MUST HAVE MORE MES that is ingrained in men. Otherwise they wouldn't be such babies about condoms.Unless the state steps in and makes them pay, there are very few consequences for men when it comes to having kids. The reason men have a stronger sex drive than women is part of that biological imperative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_imperative
    Last edited by bowieluva; 08-03-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Let me put it this way: the amount of men in this country who have like 20 fucking kids they aren't taking care of completely contradicts this.

It has nothing to do with emotional response to kids, it's just a MUST HAVE MORE MES that is ingrained in men. Otherwise they wouldn't be such babies about condoms.Unless the state steps in and makes them pay, there are very few consequences for men when it comes to having kids. The reason men have a stronger sex drive than women is part of that biological imperative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_imperative
    this is, at least in part, why i was interested in starting this thread and hearing what the guys on the board have to say. i'm curious as to weather men feel like taking some kind of hormonal birth which would leave them unable to spawn would make them feel less 'manly?' or something along those lines. this is why i say i wouldn't trust a man with the birth control on his own unless he already had a child. but, i do know a few guys (sadly) who want kids (as many as possible) and don't take care of the ones they have. it's pretty gross, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    this is, at least in part, why i was interested in starting this thread and hearing what the guys on the board have to say. i'm curious as to weather men feel like taking some kind of hormonal birth which would leave them unable to spawn would make them feel less 'manly?' or something along those lines. this is why i say i wouldn't trust a man with the birth control on his own unless he already had a child. but, i do know a few guys (sadly) who want kids (as many as possible) and don't take care of the ones they have. it's pretty gross, if you ask me.
    I would say that before I had my son I would have taken a birth control contraceptive. I'd take it now because we don't know if we want another one right now or at all. Of course I don't consider myself as a typical man in my area. I would find it sort of odd for some men to even discuss it. For instance, a couple guys out in the woods hunting and talking about their birth control is almost comical.

Male Birth Control: Easy, Effective, Available, and Totally Unheard Of

The male birth control shot is cheap, effective, and administered in a relatively painless 15 minute outpatient procedure and has been in existence for 25 years. It is currently going into small sample human trials and should be available in the United States in the next 3-5 years. It lasts for ten years and is easily reversible. The story of why it wasn?t available here sooner and how exactly it works medically are important to our health and our continued fight for reproductive rights and equality. Let?s get started.

Medically Speaking

penis

The male birth control shot would involve a 15 minute procedure in which a gel is injected into the vas deferens after a topical anesthetic is applied. This gel renders sperm infertile as they pass from the testes (where sperm is stored and made) to the penis (the sperm dispenser) through the vas deferens. It is biologically safe material and can easily be dissolved if the patient decides they would like to become a dad. The lag time for fertility returning is 2 months or so, which is comparable to the lag time of fertility when women get off of birth control. There are no side effects except slight scrotal swelling at the site of injection. This is a step up from vasectomies that can cause painful pressure and granulomas. The shot would end up being cheaper than the syringe it would be administered with. It wouldn?t change how sex would work for the patient, and they could get it on a week after the procedure. (source)

Paging Dr. Misogyny

25 years?? 25 years of testing and we have not heard about it until now. 25 years of use in India, on humans, where it was said to be 100% effective and we have not jumped on board until now. I understand that the medical standards in India are not as stringent as the FDA?s standards, so we couldn?t just take their word for it, but come on, couldn?t we have at least gotten started on this a little bit sooner?

I think that the reason it has taken so long for this shot to make real progress in the Western world is the patriarchy and, surprise!, the special interests of the drug companies.

Drug companies want something they can sell repeatedly. This shot is a one stop shop ? once the patient gets it they never have to get it again. In theory, if one age group of men all got it, there would be years before there would be another large group of men in need of it. So they continue to push Viagra and focus on women?s birth control, of which there are a dozen varieties all in need of multiple doses. Also, the drug would not make them much money if it costs less than the syringe it?s delivered in. Many experts say that this drug would make a huge difference for young families living in poverty ? if they can limit the size of their family, they have a better chance of getting ahead. Drug companies are not interested in selling one-time use drugs for the sake of charity and The Greater Good. Drug companies want to make money.

The female birth control that is equivalent to the Vasalgel shot is the IUD. IUDs do not interrupt sex, are easily reversible/removed, and they can stay in up to 10 years. (Unfortunately, they have a lot more potential negative side effects than the vasalgel shot.) But there are many forms of female birth control that can be used for short term and intermediate periods of time ? diaphragms, spermicide, deppo shots, patches, pills, rings, etc.

Of course there are also condoms, which are both male and female, but male condoms are more commonly used, and therefore the only birth control men use on a regular basis. Culturally, condoms are seen as the only thing that men have to worry about in that department and sometimes they don?t even want to do that. Getting a vasectomy is viewed as something a man only does after he?s had a family, and as something that takes away from masculinity and is painful and embarrassing (despite the fact that it is also a 15 minute outpatient procedure). So I?d like to know where all of the male intermediate forms of birth control? I understand and wholeheartedly appreciate the independence and freedom that birth control gives women. But since the advent of the pill, the scales seemed to have tip in the direction of women having the most options/responsibility. In another completely unjustified dichotomy, women are given all of the responsibility for the policing and consequences of sex, while likewise being policed.

The attitudes that I am referring to are alive and well, and in the media for everyone to see. The Huffington Post writes: ?One downside ? depending on how you feel about shots ? is that it requires the man receive an injection into the vas deferens with a polymer gel called Vasalgel, after a local anesthetic has been given.? I would like to point out that the procedure they?re describing is identical to that of a vasectomy except for an injection that the patient won?t be able to feel. This is a good time to remind everyone that an anesthetic is a drug that keeps people from feeling pain. So to recap ? same procedure as vasectomy, but injection and no pain. Got it? Okay. Moving on.

I tripped across this little gem of an article on a website called ?Nerve.? Here there be monsters:

?Everyone throw away your condoms, there?s a new birth control for men with a 100% success rate. (Throw away your condoms after you get the procedure.) A new procedure under clinical trials in India is turning out some very exciting results for the not-into-wearing-condoms-male community. (Kind of a large community.) The method works by injecting a polymer gel called Vasalgel into the penis, which then breaks apart the sperm before it can cause, you know, life. The downside: by injected, I mean injected, as in you have to get a needle straight into your jimmy for this to work. Is a small bit of dick-centric pain worth a decade of worry-free sex? (Assuming you haven?t forgotten about the existence of STDs.) That depends on your tolerance for dick pain and your love of barebacking.

?Come and get it boys, but don?t forget: a shot straight into your penis.

Needle. In. Penis.?

You know what else is physically painful? Giving birth. Getting a depo shot every three months. Getting an HPV vaccine. Getting an IUD inserted. Getting an abortion. Cramps during your period.. Ovarian cysts. Having a miscarriage.

Welcome to the pain party. But you know what? It?s fucking worth it. Because if the woman you love or the woman you want to have sex with doesn?t want a baby, then she shouldn?t have to have a baby. End of story.

And let?s not forget to mention, that the shot only prevents the sperm from being able to fertilize the egg. It does not protect against STDs/STIs so condoms are still absolutely necessary to prevent infection. So when ?Nerve? decides it?s cute to make jokes about throwing away all of your condoms, and casually forgetting about the existence of STDs, I despair for birth control equality and fair sexual treatment of women.

Even worse, the drug companies, combined with misogynistic and horrible behavior, are causing other men to suffer (gasp!). Because in an amazing turn of events, there are a lot of other men in the world who are extremely interested in using this drug because they love their partner, because they want to be responsible, and because they are mature enough to see that these issues are much more important than the pain.

So I guess what I?m asking for is a little bit of charity and understanding. Charity in the sense that money should not be considered in such an important health issue. And understanding that women have gone through a lot of pain ? I think you can take one for the team. One shot in your dick is a small price to pay for trust, happiness and equality.

For a more positive and in-depth look at this new drug, check out this article from WIRED.

http://feminspire.com/male-birth-con...ly-unheard-of/

Male birth control might be coming sooner than we think -- and thanks to Reddit, we know something about how it might work.

Redditor icheissesatch took part in a research trial at The Rockefeller University in 2010 and shared some details about his experience in an August 2013 post.

According to icheissesatch's post, the trial drug was:
    A male birth control that stops the testes from making sperm... a man-made hormone that is like testosterone, called MENT. MENT causes the body to make less sperm by decreasing the hormones your body needs to make sperm.
    Here are eight things we learned about this male birth control -- from a man who tried it:

1. The trial drug came in a gel form, which the subject applied to his abdomen every day after showering.

2. Said gel smells like a mix of hospitals and rubbing alcohol.

3. It took a few days to start working.

4. It can take up to nine months for sperm levels to return to their baseline after stopping the drug.

5. The subject didn't notice any side effects, though he reported feeling "in the mood" a bit more often.

6. The drug came in a pump bottle, kind of like shampoo.

7. He had to avoid kids after applying the gel, in case it rubbed off on them.

8. He thinks men would use it, though it would need to be marketed well. "I do have my fingers crossed that it is received well and it becomes the new standard to share the responsibility of safe sex," icheissesatch wrote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...paign=healthfb

7. He had to avoid kids after applying the gel, in case it rubbed off on them.
    Wtf? So on any other day he would just be wiping his dick and bare stomach all over kids?

Wtf? So on any other day he would just be wiping his dick and bare stomach all over kids?
    this is exactly what i thought.

but the bottle should maybe be changed up so kids can't just get into it if it's gonna make them start growing hair in weird places or something...

Thread Information