Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98
Results 2,426 to 2,448 of 2448

Thread: THAT'S RACIST! Part 2: discussing racial tension in the US/abroad

https://abc7news.com/society/exclusi...ment/10443936/

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Different treatment because of the color of your skin, that's what a Black San Francisco man said happened to him at a San Jose Starbucks. Now the company is apologizing and retraining staff.

"Come straight up to me points to the door and says I need you outside. And at that moment, man, it's embarrassing. It's irritating. Humiliating. Why me?," said Bryce Ward exclusively to ABC7 News.

Starbucks is now apologizing to Ward after he was told to step outside of the coffee shop on Mckee Road in San Jose while he waited for his order to be made.

He said he remained inside the store after two women left, by his logic the store was no longer at capacity

Ward provided a receipt to ABC7 News showing he was at the store and made the purchase March 15 at approximately 9:30 a.m.

Ward said a manager told him the store was at capacity per Santa Clara County's COVID restrictions so he had to leave.

He said other customers were allowed into the store and he believes he was targeted because he's Black.

"I was the only Black (person) in there. I don't know what was going through her mind," Ward said.

Santa Clara County is currently in the red tier for reopening, meaning retail stores are limited to a maximum of 50% capacity.

County health officials announced Tuesday the county will soon move to the orange tier for reopening, allowing for greater capacity at businesses.

"You see all this traffic coming in and out and you didn't say anything to anybody else? Why are you singling me out?," he said.

After the incident, the San Francisco barber took to Instagram to share his experience.

RELATED: $10K student loan forgiveness? That won't cut it for many Black, Latina women

ABC7 News reached out to Starbucks for comment and received the following statement:

"We have no tolerance for discrimination of any kind in our stores and we never want a customer to feel discriminated against. We apologize to Mr. Ward for his experience and have retrained staff on how to respectfully navigate capacity limits to protect the health and safety of partners and customers."

A Starbucks spokesperson also told ABC7 News the "company does not have video available of the incident" despite having security cameras at the store.

"How convenient that the very key piece of evidence that would corroborate what took place here, and would probably turn into a viral video once it was released, no one can seem to find it," said Adante Pointer, Oakland-based civil rights attorney.

The situation rings similar to a 2018 incident at a Philadelphia Starbucks location where two Black men were arrested for refusing to leave a store. The men requested to use the store's restroom, but were denied because they hadn't made a purchase.

Outrage lead to the hashtag #BoycottStarbucks trending on Twitter and lead to nationwide anti-bias training for employees.

"We need to be hearing from the people at the top because the top sets the tone for the rest of the organization," said Pointer.

While additional training has already happened at the location in question, a Starbucks spokesperson also confirmed additional training is planned for eleven stores across the district in the South Bay.

"I just want to make sure it doesn't happen to anybody else," said Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/car-rammin...ry?id=76628526

Car ramming at rally protesting anti-Asian hate being investigated as hate crime
    I didn't see the video at the link...?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thanks!

And he's driving a Honda? I mean....

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...th-hate-crime/

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KRON) – A woman who was arrested after allegedly attacking a Mountain View McDonald’s worker and manager while yelling racial slurs at them has been charged with a hate crime, the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office announced Wednesday.

Woman arrested for hitting, making racial remarks at Mountain View McDonald’s employee
    According to the DA, 40-year-old Alena Jenkins was eating inside the McDonald’s without a mask, in violation of the restaurant’s COVID-19 restrictions. When a worker asked Jenkins to leave, authorities said she refused and call the employee “(Expletives deleted) Mexican! Go ahead and call the cops!”

The manager also approached Jenkins and asked her to leave. Jenkins responded by calling the manager a “stupid Mexican” and punched him in the arm and shoulder.
    Authorities said even when police arrived on scene Jenkins continued to make racially charged comments to officers about the McDonald’s workers, continuing to call them “dumb Mexicans…who don’t know how to speak English.”

Jenkins faces the hate crime and a battery charge, both misdemeanors.

She will be arraigned in San Jose Wednesday afternoon.

See my quote from above
    I saw the New York one in your link and it's the same shit here on the West, let's just say the damage is done at this point from the Trump era.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...ice-president/

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) – San Francisco school board members will move forward to remove Vice President Alison Collins from the board and other committee positions in a special meeting later this week.

This comes after derogatory tweets Collins made in 2016 recently resurfaced.

On Tuesday night, the school board held a regular meeting where we heard an apology from Collins for the first time.

Pressure mounts for San Francisco school board VP to resign over racist tweets
    Despite this apology, Collins still made no suggestion of plans to step down from her position.

That’s why two other school board members plan to introduce a resolution at Thursday’s special meeting, calling for Collins to be stripped of her titles.

The San Francisco School Board met on Tuesday for the first time since derogatory tweets resurfaced from the board’s vice president, Alison Collins.

While Collins gave no indication of plans to resign, she made a public apology.

Reopening schools: San Francisco school board, teachers union reach agreement
    “I’d like to reemphasize my sincere and heartfelt apologies and I’m currently engaging with my colleagues and working with the community for the good of all children in our district,” Collins said.

Fellow school board member Jenny Lam called for Collins to make this apology several days ago and stands behind demands for Collins to resign.

“I am not alone when I say I don’t have confidence in Commissioner Collins’s ability to fairly govern a school district that is almost half API with no bias. Restorative justice begins by acknowledging the harm and making the intentional effort to connect with those in the community that has been harmed,” Lam said.

Lam and board member Moliga will introduce a resolution at a special meeting on Thursday, calling for Collins to be stripped of her VP position and committee assignments.

San Francisco school district superintendent retiring
    This comes after a series of Collins’ tweets aimed at Asian Americans made back 2016 reemerged.

“I grew up in mostly Asian Am schools and know this experience all too well. Many Asian Am. believe they benefit from the “model minority.”

“Commissioner Collin’s words undermine the labor of communities and our students to dismantle it and it is especially harmful. Words matter,” Lam said.

It was a huge turnout at that virtual meeting tonight. 1,000 people signed on in hopes of speaking out about these tweets during public comment.

Unfortunately, though not everyone was able to speak and many parents and community members felt silenced by the board President Gabriela Lopez for limited time and not splitting the comments up by who was for and against VP Collins.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...-pulls-all-ads

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — A 97 Rock Morning Bull DJ has been terminated after he compared toast to Black women's skin tones on Wednesday's Morning Bull podcast.

It appears to be Rob Lederman comparing skin tones initially, and then Chris Klein joins. The voice of Rich "Bull" Gaenzler can be heard saying, "K." Wednesday's full podcast no longer appears on 97 Rock's website.

Cumulus Media has terminated Lederman. "Bull" and Klein have been suspended.

A spokesperson for Cumulus Media released this statement to 7 Eyewitness News regarding the incident:
    "CUMULUS MEDIA operates from a clearly-defined set of programming principles and there is no question that Rob Lederman’s comments made on The Morning Bull Show are in direct violation of those principles. We swiftly terminated him and suspended the remainder of the show’s on-air talent. We apologize, and deeply regret the incident."

Roswell Park and the Roswell Park Alliance Foundation said they pulled marketing affiliations with the station, including advertising and sponsorship. Below is their full statement.

Immediately upon learning about this exchange, Roswell Park, the Roswell Park Alliance Foundation and the Ride for Roswell pulled all ads and marketing from this station. The comments this morning conflict with our values and culture. We embrace actions that respect the dignity and equity of all people, and forcefully reject any and all forms of racism.
    Roswell Park and the Roswell Park Alliance Foundation
    West Herr has also removed all advertising.

Pegula Sports and Entertainment released a statement Wednesday afternoon stating that Gaenzler has been terminated from his duties as the in-arena host for the Sabres and Bandits.

University at Buffalo Athletics released this statement regarding Gaenzler's role:
    "The University at Buffalo Division of Athletics is committed to sustaining a culture of diversity and inclusion and strongly denounces racism in all forms. Rich Gaenzler is not currently under contract with UB Athletics. We will move forward with selection of another public address announcer for UB football games next season."

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown condemned the comments in a statement:
    "The racist commentary made on The Morning Bull show on 97 Rock is outrageous and intolerable. There is no place in our society for these statements or beliefs. I strongly condemn what these individuals said on the radio this morning."

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/wo...-walking-home/

WOODLAND, Calif. (KTXL) — Woodland police say they are searching for a man who yelled racist threats at an Asian American woman as she walked home after a shopping trip Thursday night.

Police said the “disturbing incident” happened just after 7 p.m., when an Asian American woman left the Walmart on California Street.

While walking home, the woman said a man from across the street started yelling at her. She told police he threatened to find “the Chinese and kill them all.”
    Elk Grove leaders to announce resolution in support of API community

He kept following her until she went into an apartment complex parking lot, where police say she hid until he left.

“When officers arrived on scene, they checked for the subject. Unfortunately, we were unable to find anybody,” said Sgt. Victoria Danzl with the Woodland Police Department.

Now, police are looking for the man after officers could not find him.

The Woodland Police Department does not tolerate threats based on race, gender, or religion. Our department will continue to take these incidents seriously. We are aware of the recent series of attacks on members of the Asian Pacific Islander (API) community across our nation. Violence, verbal or physical, impacts every member of our community. We encourage victims of race-based violence to come forward and report incidents. It’s also important that we, as a community, come together and look out for one another.
    Woodland Police Department

“This behavior is unacceptable. We don’t treat people differently based upon what they look like, or who they are. We need to make sure that we understand the people around us and that we accept them,” Danzl said.

Police say they were not able to get a good description of the suspect.

They say it’s still an active investigation and this is considered a hate crime, which is a misdemeanor.
    Interview: Local advocate discusses spike in violence, resources for AAPI women

Recently, leaders in local cities have been coming together to call for an end to anti-Asian crimes in the wake of deadly violence against the Asian American community across the nation.

Some law enforcement agencies have said they will reach out to Asian American community members and make it easier for them to report hate crimes.

“We don’t want anyone in the city of Woodland or anywhere to live in fear. We want to make sure our community as a whole supports each other,” Danzl told FOX40.

Those who may have witnessed what happened Thursday night in Woodland should call dispatch at 530-666-2411.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/pol...ensions-flare/

Huntington Beach police declared an unlawful assembly Sunday afternoon around the city’s famous pier as tensions increased among protesters who clashed with Donald Trump supporters and others displaying allegiance to white supremacist groups.

Several hundred people gathered in the plaza area at the base of the pier beginning Sunday morning to demonstrate against the so-called White Lives Matter rally that was set to start at 1 p.m. Police officers stood at the edges of the pier plaza as helicopters and drones circled overhead.

But by 2:30 p.m., police had declared the gathering an unlawful assembly and directed everyone to disperse as tensions heated up among rival demonstrators. Authorities also sent an alert to people’s cell phones in the area ordering them to leave or face arrest.

The protest, which began around 11 a.m., started out peacefully. No large cohorts of people who were expected to attend the scheduled white supremacy rally were present at the pier by Sunday afternoon. However, as the day went on and the crowd swelled, small confrontations between individual attendees, Trump supporters and counterprotesters broke out along Pacific Coast Highway and Main Street. Some traded punches, while others threw verbal jabs within inches of each others faces.

https://www.facebook.com/1789705493/...5157372966233/

https://www.fox8live.com/2021/04/14/...ith-black-man/

. COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) ? A white Army non-commissioned officer depicted in a viral video accosting and shoving a Black man in a South Carolina neighborhood has been charged with third-degree assault.

Jonathan Pentland, 42, was charged Wednesday and listed as detained in the Richland County jail and issued a personal recognizance bond, according to online jail records, which did not show him as having an attorney.

The video, posted Monday by a woman on Facebook and shared thousands of times, shows a man, identified as Pentland, demanding that a Black man leave the neighborhood before threatening him with physical violence.

?You?re in the wrong neighborhood,? Pentland, standing on the sidewalk, can be heard saying to the other man before using an expletive. ?I ain?t playing with you. ... I?m about to show you what I can do.?

WARNING: The video in the social media post below contains explicit language and may be disturbing to viewers.

I went for a walk yesterday evening and I encountered a young man (Deandre)in distress. I decided to record the incident in order to protect this black man from possibly becoming a statistic pic.twitter.com/fdgfAmc6zb

? Shadae (@ShadaeMccallum) April 14, 2021
    According to Shirell Johnson, who posted the video, the incident happened in a subdivision of The Summit, which has a Columbia address but is technically outside the city?s limits. The video does not show what started the conflict. Johnson did not immediately respond to a message from The Associated Press seeking further details.

The recording begins with Pentland, a U.S. Army sergeant first class, asking the Black man what he?s doing in the area. The Black man says he was simply walking and not bothering anyone.

Throughout the three-minute video, Pentland continuously demands that the other man leave the neighborhood, getting in his face and, at one point, pushing the man, who almost falls to the ground.

?Let?s go, walk away,? he said. ?I?m about to do something to you. You better start walking right now.?

At the end of the video, a woman who Pentland identifies as his wife can be heard telling the other man that he had picked a fight with ?some random young lady? in the neighborhood, a claim the Black man then denies.

Johnson said authorities arrived at the scene and only gave Pentland a citation for malicious injury to property for slapping the man?s phone out of his hand and cracking it.

Officials at Fort Jackson, the U.S. Army?s largest basic training facility, said Wednesday they were looking into the incident. On one of its Twitter accounts, base officials also said that U.S. Department of Justice authorities were investigating as well.

According to social media accounts connected to Pentland, he has been stationed at Fort Jackson since 2019 and has worked as a drill sergeant at the garrison, a 53,000-acre complex that trains 50% of all soldiers and 60% of women who enter the Army each year.

Asked on Twitter for his response to the video, Fort Jackson Commanding Brig. Gen. Milford H. Beagle Jr. said the behavior displayed in the video ?is by no means condoned by any service member.?

?We will get to the bottom of this ASAP,? he said.

On his official Facebook page, Beagle said Army officials ?have begun our own investigation and are working with the local authorities.?

Earlier this year, the Department of Defense announced that Beagle would take over as commanding general at Fort Drum, New York, to be succeeded at Fort Jackson by Brig. Gen. Patrick R. Michaelis. An official transfer date has not been announced.

Commenters on the video said they had reached out to the Richland County Sheriff?s Department asking for additional charges to be filed. In a release issued early Wednesday, a department spokeswoman said deputies had been dispatched to the neighborhood for ?an assault? call involving one of the men several days before the date of the video, and that all of the matters were under investigation.

During an afternoon news conference, Sheriff Leon Lott said the other man in the video was not a juvenile but declined to release his name. Lott said that man had been involved in other incidents in the neighborhood in the days leading up to the video but said that ?none of them justified the assault that occurred.?

?The first time I saw the video, it was terrible. It was unnecessary,? Lott said, noting he had met with community leaders and elected officials before speaking with reporters. Lott said his investigators had turned their case over to prosecutors, who determined what charge to levy against Pentland.

Pentland did not immediately respond to an email message seeking comment. If convicted, he faces up to 30 days in jail and a $500 fine.

State Sen. Mia McLeod, who represents the area, said Wednesday on the Senate floor that she had spent much of the previous day in discussions about the incident and planned to meet with the sheriff later in the day.

?My sons have a freaking right to live,? said McLeod, who is Black. ?Another unarmed Black man could be dead today because he was walking in a neighborhood that, I am told, is adjacent to his, doing absolutely nothing.?

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/san...neo-nazi-group

. ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) ? Federal prosecutors in Virginia are seeking a five-year prison sentence for a former neo-Nazi group leader who pleaded guilty to conspiring with other far-right extremists to threaten dozens of targets, including a predominantly African American church, a sitting U.S. Cabinet member and journalists.

John Cameron Denton, of Montgomery, Texas, and others involved in the plot made at least 134 threats to injure people and institutions, often for racist reasons, Justice Department prosecutors wrote in a court filing last Wednesday. They said Denton participated in ?the most far-reaching swatting conspiracy in our nation to date,? referring to hoax calls made to fool emergency dispatchers into sending police to the addresses of unsuspecting victims.

U.S. District Judge Liam O?Grady is scheduled to sentence Denton on Tuesday. Denton was 26 when he pleaded guilty in July 2020 to conspiring to transmit threats.

Prosecutors say Denton was a leader of a group called Atomwaffen Division. More than a dozen people linked to Atomwaffen Division or an offshoot called Feuerkrieg Division have been charged with federal crimes since the group?s formation in 2016. Many have pleaded guilty and been sentenced already.

Atomwaffen has been linked to several killings, including the May 2017 shooting deaths of two men at an apartment in Tampa, Florida, and the January 2018 killing of a University of Pennsylvania student in California.

The charges against Denton and other Atomaffen members and associates centered on hoax ?swatting? calls that they made to targets in 2018 and 2019, including the Alfred Street Baptist Church in Alexandria, then-Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen and Old Dominion University in Norfolk, where one of Denton?s associates attended college.

In court, a judge has noted that the U.S. Secret Service waved local police away from mobilizing to Nielsen?s home in Alexandria in January 2019 after a member of the conspiracy called, claiming hostages were being taken there.

Denton also placed swatting calls to the New York City offices of news outlet ProPublica and to a ProPublica reporter in Richmond, California. Prosecutors say Denton had a vendetta against the ProPublica journalist for reporting on his activities in Atomwaffen, including for a PBS Frontline documentary.

Prosecutors? filing says the reporter?s young son has nightmares about neo-Nazis kidnapping his family and murdering his father, and the experience has prompted the Mexican American boy to ask, ?Why do Nazis hate brown people like me??

?It is simply heartbreaking that a young child is asking such questions and has been forced to flee his home with his parents because of fear of being violently attacked,? they wrote.

Denton admitted that he used the monikers ?Rape? and ?Tormentor? in an online forum that they used to coordinate the swatting calls.

?The conspirators also targeted individuals streaming live videos because the conspirators hoped to observe law enforcement responding to their calls,? prosecutors wrote.

Another member of the swatting conspiracy, former ODU student John William Kirby Kelley, was sentenced in March to 33 months in prison for his role in making the swatting calls.

When Denton was arrested in February 2020, prosecutors in Seattle also announced charges against Denton?s roommate, Kaleb Cole, and others in a separate plot to harass journalists and Jewish activists in three states. Cole has pleaded not guilty and is due to face trial in September.

Prosecutors say they agree with the probation office?s calculation that federal sentencing guidelines for Denton?s case call for a prison term ranging from 51 to 60 months. The judge isn?t bound by those recommendations.

?When Americans target other Americans based on race, religious beliefs, or other individual characteristics, we are all harmed,? prosecutors wrote. ?Such actions, if left unpunished, signal an acceptance that such malevolent conduct is the norm and not the exception.?

John Landers likes to beat puppy dogs.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

https://abc7ny.com/queens-new-york-c...lice/10523870/

. ASTORIA, Queens (WABC) -- Officers made another arrest stemming from the NYPD's use of decoys to stop the wave of crimes against people of Asian descent.

Police say Ricardo Hernandez, 34, threatened an undercover Asian officer at the Dutch Kills train station in Astoria.

The officer says Hernandez told him, "I have nothing to lose" before saying he would beat him up.
    The suspect faces charges of aggravated harassment and hate crime menacing.

This is the third arrest as a result of the decoys.

https://www.keloland.com/news/local-...edia-backlash/

AITH, S.D. (KELO) — Social media backlash over Faith High School Rodeo Club’s “Slave/Branding Auction,” has lead to its cancellation.

This was the post going around social media for the event, which shows it included a pancake supper and a pie auction, on April 26, at the Legion Hall in Faith.

The Faith School District Superintendent, Kelly Daughters, told KELOLAND News that the school has nothing to do with the event.

“Slave Auctions” have been around in several communities in the state for at least a decade. The idea is that rodeo club members are auctioned off to do chores for the highest bidder.

According to the Pierre Capitol Journal, in 2012, an African American resident asked the Pierre/Fort Pierre High School Rodeo Club to change the name of its “Slave Auction” event because it was offensive, but the club refused to do so. That club hasn’t had a slave auction in a couple of years.

OK you don't give shit then even after all the police brutality allegations have come out where Black Americans are killed. And you don't give a shit on any verdict related to Derek Chauvin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLanders View Post
    https://www.keloland.com/news/local-...edia-backlash/

OK you don't give shit then even after all the police brutality allegations have come out where Black Americans are killed. And you don't give a shit on any verdict related to Derek Chauvin.
    Probably not. 421 (mostly white) people live in Faith and the nearest black person probably lives about 100 miles away. The whole issue isn't at the forefront of their minds... Do you worry about injustices against the Lakota? Are you up on the issues relating to DAPL?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Probably not. 421 (mostly white) people live in Faith and the nearest black person probably lives about 100 miles away. The whole issue isn't at the forefront of their minds... Do you worry about injustices against the Lakota? Are you up on the issues relating to DAPL?
    Good point too. I do too but then again where I live it's automatically considered a conspiracy theory to red state people.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/can-am...rance-n1265018

It shouldn't surprise anyone that minutes before Derek Chauvin was found guilty on all counts, a 16-year-old Black girl in Columbus, Ohio, died after being shot by a police officer. This is still America.

Every day three people die as a result of police involvement. That death rate hasn't even winked at changing, even as our country begins to reckon with the brutal reality of police violence.

It appears that not even a year of protests in the wake of George Floyd's murder will curb officers' killing more young men like Daunte Wright or prevent officers from unloading their guns into teenagers like Ma'Khia Bryant. We need to identify and implement true reform of policing if defunding isn't in the immediate future (and we know it isn't).

And we should immediately start with requiring malpractice or liability insurance for all police officers.

It's common for most medical professionals to carry malpractice insurance, which they personally pay for, to provide coverage for disputed claims about services they provide. It's one way hospitals reroute risk to individual doctors for most malpractice claims. When malpractice claims are filed, physicians' insurance rates go up.

Eventually, if doctors have enough claims against them that require insurance to be used, they will be priced out. And if they work in states that require insurance at all times, they could potentially no longer be allowed to practice, which makes sense.

Most Americans pay for a version of this every day already, in the form of car insurance. "If you were a reckless driver, if you engaged in multiple instances of drunk driving or hitting civilians or motor vehicle homicides, your premiums would go sky high," Deborah Ramirez, a law professor at Northeastern University, told NPR last summer in an interview about her proposal to require officers to have this type of insurance. "And you would be priced out of driving."
    Ramirez is part of a growing group of people publicly pushing for this type of legislative change. Last year, New York state Sen. Alessandra Biaggi introduced a bill that would require all New York officers to obtain liability insurance throughout their career. California lawmakers signaled a similar move during the same time frame, although no official bill was presented in the Legislature.

"Similarly, officers who engage in reckless or dangerous behavior can be priced out of policing by high premiums that reflect the actual risk that they pose to us," Ramirez said.

This use of policy to curb harm to people at large is pretty much accepted by most in society — which is why we should begin to apply it to every police officer working in the country. If high-profile murder trials don't discourage the daily shootings of civilians by police, maybe high liability insurance premiums will.

The major barrier to enacting a change like this is, as always, the police unions. Historically, police unions have fought to limit the accountability officers face on the job. According to Campaign Zero, a watchdog group, over 85 percent of all police departments in the U.S. have fought to ensure that police contracts include language that limits discipline and oversight. This is why guilty verdicts like Chauvin's are so incredibly rare — even when officers are killing three people a day.

The unions have fought to ensure that officers are given generous leeway in how they conduct themselves as long as they can say they "feared" for their lives. But as the country sees over and over again, this fear is typically based in racism. It's time to loosen the unions' hold on protecting officers. It's time officers are made to face more accountability both in the courts and in their own wallets.

The formulas that insurance companies would need to enforce these malpractice claims can actually be drawn from real data we already have — data that will be lifesaving for Black people like me. A 2016 study that Ramirez recently cited in her work says the most dangerous officers now working have already been identified. We can predict that it's just a matter of time before they are in positions to harm civilians.

"The worst 1 percent of officers, as measured by civilian allegations, generate almost five times the number of payouts and over four times the total damage payouts in civil rights litigation," the report says.

Many high-profile killings by police prove this. Officer Daniel Pantaleo had 98 complaints filed against him when he choked Eric Garner to death in New York City. Officer Jason Van Dyke had 20 complaints when he fired 16 shots into Laquan McDonald in Chicago. And Chauvin had 18 complaints when he knelt on Floyd's neck.

Imagine a world where officers' premiums go up every time a legitimate complaint is filed and substantiated. It's not hard to imagine they'd reconsider some of their actions in the moment if they were reminded daily that the city won't pay out millions of dollars, as they continually do now, if a person dies. Instead, the officer will. Not taxpayers.

What happened to Chauvin this week wasn't justice, no matter how much House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tried to spin it after the verdict was announced when she thanked Floyd for sacrificing his life for so-called justice. Black bodies are not consolation prizes to let white people trust police more.

When it comes down to it, money makes the world go round, and that applies to cops, too. If we can find a way to pressure our lawmakers to ensure that officers understand and assume accountability for their actions, hopefully we can make more of them think twice before mistaking their guns for their Tasers in the streets of America.

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/trendi...op-restaurant/

A White Woman facing allegations for a racial rant directed at 4 black soldiers.

FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (NEXSTAR) — Video being widely shared on social media shows a group of Black soldiers being harassed at a northern Virginia restaurant by a woman who used racist language.

The incident happened April 19 while the soldiers, from Fort Belvoir, grabbed lunch at an off-base IHOP restaurant, the Army Times reports.

“She offered to pay for their meal, which is not uncommon when people meet military personnel, it’s a gesture as a way to thank them for their service,” said Joe Richard, director of public affairs for Fort Belvoir, told the Army Times. “She placed $30 on their table.”

The woman later returned, however, and claimed they had taken her money, Washington TV station WUSA reported.

TikTok video shows the woman sitting down at the soldiers’ table and refusing to leave after one of the men can be heard asking her to “please walk away.”

Richard told the Army Times that the woman directed racial slurs at them.

The video also shows the woman threatening another person who tried to intervene.

On the way out of the restaurant she can be heard yelling, “Are you the thin blue line, are you BLM, are you antifa?”

The soldiers left the restaurant, returned to the base and reported the incident to their leadership, according to the station.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

John Landers is a racist!
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

https://abc7.com/man-berates-asian-a...p-in/10498073/

.In the latest in a disturbing spike in anti-Asian attacks, an Olympic hopeful from Orange County was in a park training for the summer games when a man targeted her in an incident that she captured on video.

"I was shocked... I didn't know what to do.. and it slowly escalated in a way where he got close to me and he continued to yell at me for no reason," Sakura Kokumai, a Team USA Karate Olympian, told ABC7 in an interview.

"You're so small," the man is heard is saying in the footage. "I'll f--- your boyfriend up."

"There was no racial slurs at the beginning," Kokumai said, "but as he got into his car he would yell out 'Chinese' and 'Sashimi' and then I was like OK there it is."

Sakura Kokumai says she was working out at Grijalva Park - just like she does every day as she prepares for the Olympics. She's set to represent the U.S. in the Tokyo games this summer -- as the first American to qualify for the Olympic games in karate.

It's why she says she was so calm: she knew if she had to, she could fight back. She said the man out of nowhere started harassing her for nearly 20 minutes.

"You know what? If this was my mom... what if this was my grandma...that's where it got scary, because I knew that I was able to handle myself with the situation by being calm," Kokumai said. "You don't want to be aggressive. But my worry was, what if this was somebody else?"

In 2020, there were 10 times as many hate incidents and crimes against Asian Americans in Orange County. A majority of those crimes were in public, according to the Orange County Human Relations Commission.

Just last month, an 82-year-old Asian American woman at the Leisure World retirement community in Seal Beach received a letter on the day of her husband's funeral -- it said his death was a good thing because it meant "one less Asian to put up with."

https://abc7.com/video-shows-racist-...puty/10576960/

. LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Body camera footage shows a woman unleashing a racist tirade on a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy during a traffic stop in San Dimas.

In the video, the woman is heard telling the deputy, "You're always going to be a Mexican. You'll never be white, you know that, right?"

"You'll never be white, which is what you really want to be," she says after signing a citation. "You want to be white."

The bodycam video of the traffic stop is now the subject of a sheriff's department investigation.

The incident happened when a sheriff's deputy pulled over a white Mercedes-Benz after deputies say they spotted the driver on her cellphone.

As the deputy approaches the vehicle, the driver has her cellphone out and is recording.

The interaction quickly turns confrontational as the driver questions the deputy's motives for the stop and accuses him of trying to murder her.

Before the deputy explains why she was pulled over, the woman interrupts him.

"Yes, I started to record because you're a murderer," she says.

The deputy tells the woman she can't be using her cellphone while driving and the woman responds by saying she was recording because the deputy scared her.

"You're threatening to kill me and my son," she says at one point in the encounter.

She says her driver's license was at her apartment when the deputy asked for it.

The deputy eventually tells the woman that she too is being recorded since he was wearing a body camera.

The L.A. County Sheriff's Department is in the midst of rolling out bodycams to all its deputies, but the deputy in the video hasn't received one and is using a personal bodycam.

Another deputy arrives on the scene to help diffuse the situation and the woman then hurls racist insults.

"Here you go Mexican racist," she says as she returns a pen to the deputy after signing a citation.

She goes on to tell him, "You're always going to be a Mexican. You'll never be white, you know that, right?"

Sheriff Alex Villanueva says he's seen the video and is defending the deputy's actions.

"This Deputy exemplifies the core values of our Department, his demeanor during this traffic stop is just an example of professionalism and patience our @LASDHQ Deputies have," he tweeted.

It is unknown if the woman turned over her cellphone video to the sheriff's department.
    Here is a roundup

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/th...d-up-in-court/

YUBA COUNTY, Calif. (KTXL) — A Yuba-Sutter health officer has been targeted and threatened by a Marysville podcaster and has gone to court over statements made on his podcast.

“Quit listening to this nutcase Dr. Luu,” said podcaster Lou Binninger. “That gal should be set up against the wall and shot after this is over. She has killed people in this community.”

These statements were directed at Yuba-Sutter Health Officer Dr. Phuong Luu, and have now caught the attention of State Senator Dr. Richard Pan, D-Sacramento.

“You have someone basically calling to commit physical violence against this Asian woman who is just doing her job, as the public health officer, so this should be totally unacceptable,” said Pan.

Binninger made the threatening comments on his podcast, called “No Hostages Radio”, last year.

Yuba County Officials were also alerted about the comments and took Binninger to court looking for a workplace restraining order.

A Yuba County spokesperson told FOX40 Dr. Luu now has security when she is working at her office.

“It’s really interesting here because you’ve got not only somebody conveying a threat, but they are kind of inciting others to engage in that threat,” said Sacramento-based attorney Mike Wise.

Wise said Binninger’s First Amendment rights might not protect him.

“His First Amendment rights or anybody’s First Amendment rights cease when somebody else’s rights to be safe from physical assault or fear of intimidation begin,” Wise said.

FOX40 reached out to Binninger over social media but he did not reply.

A Yuba County spokesperson says the judge ordered the two sides to negotiate and they came to a stipulated order.

They also said Binninger agreed to “guard his words in the future.”

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    The dealership should pay for the car:

Black woman's first-time car buying experience turns sour with 'racist' dealership Facebook post
    https://abc7news.com/10907355/?ex_ci...ource=facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information