Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: THAT'S RACIST! Part 2: discussing racial tension in the US/abroad

Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Meow View Post
    Sorry, I guess he was raised in Clearwater, Florida. From everything you hear about Florida, there probably isn't much difference.

I think where you're raised and what you're exposed to growing up accounts for what kind of person you are going to be. I would think that the amount of people growing up in San Francisco would be much less racist than the ones growing up in the midwest. I know that many people in my very rural hometown are still close minded when it comes to religion and race.

I'm sure that his agent prepared his statement or at the very least helped him with it.
    This is true. It's a lot harder to be racist when you actually know people. Racism is largely based on fear.

Although I met A LOT of hardcore racists in NYC. Way more than L.A, I think because NYC is more segregated by ethnic neighborhoods, whereas we're all tossed in together here. My grandmother's best friend was a hardcore 90 year old racist who would pretty much scream whenever she saw a black guy walk past her on the street, because she was mugged once in 1802 by a black guy.

well, if it's oklahoma or florida, why not texas? not that i disagree, obviously, that there are more racists in southern and mid western states... i'm a california girl and haven't been raised as a racist - but there's a ton of it here in the ca city i live in now.

my question is though, how do we, as a society begin to acknowledge when a person says something racist because of their upbringing but maybe are striving to learn from it?

i can see... as beli implied, there's no going back from that. how can we set a moral standard for people to uphold and then refuse to acknowledge their progress? it seems a bit unfair and counter to the idea of open communication regarding the racism issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

As long as you have people who argue that the confederate flag is them representing their freedoms without acknowledging that what that freedom entailed, what that flag was about, was the freedom to own people, you are not making progress.

It's one thing when my grandma calls Asian people Orientals because that's how she was raised to technically refer to them than when someone's describing something as 'chinky' because they were raised by racist trash, and when you're like, 'that's really uncool', and they feel bad, you're just supposed to drop it and let them continue because they don't know better? Naw.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    As long as you have people who argue that the confederate flag is them representing their freedoms without acknowledging that what that freedom entailed, what that flag was about, was the freedom to own people, you are not making progress.

It's one thing when my grandma calls Asian people Orientals because that's how she was raised to technically refer to them than when someone's describing something as 'chinky' because they were raised by racist trash, and when you're like, 'that's really uncool', and they feel bad, you're just supposed to drop it and let them continue because they don't know better? Naw.
    i'm definitely not saying that racism doesn't exist? it means that you aren't making progress with those people. there are a whole lot of people out there that don't really understand why they are racist and can be taught and reasoned with. the whole country isn't divided into black and white. there are people who just haven't had the opportunity to explore where their beliefs stem from.

speaking specifically about this guy - i don't know anything about him other than, thanks to cap, he is from florida. i assume that means her was raised with some racist beliefs because florida. now he is a public figure on a football team. the majority of his teammates are black, and i'm sure he has contact with loads of black folk. is it so hard to believe that in a moment of drunken anger, he regressed in his attitude to what he learned growing up and truly feels sorry that he did?

i think it was punker or strrmr (i get the two mixed up sometimes) who commented on the butterfuckery that paula deen spewed as her apology by stating that it was disingenuous because she refused to own what she said and attributed it to her age, her location and her upbringing. this guy did none of that. he said that he did it and that he owns it and that he is sorry for it but doesn't even expect forgiveness because it was his bad all the way. is that not something to be respected?

Each person is going to take from it the way they are going to take from it. Me personally? I think the apology was written for him, that he does really feel that way about black people, and that he is only sorry he got caught, that it wasn't a heat of the moment thing. Pretty damn sure he used that phrase all the time, only this time he was being recorded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    Each person is going to take from it the way they are going to take from it. Me personally? I think the apology was written for him, that he does really feel that way about black people, and that he is only sorry he got caught, that it wasn't a heat of the moment thing. Pretty damn sure he used that phrase all the time, only this time he was being recorded.
    If he weren't at a Kenny Chesney concert he could have played it off like he was down with the homies.

Last edited by Ron_NYC; 08-07-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

hey now, i like that short dude music is universal. just because its country music doesn't mean everyone that was there were white and racists. that's on the individual, not fans of a particular genre.
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    hey now, i like that short dude music is universal. just because its country music doesn't mean everyone that was there were white and racist. that's on the individual, not fans of a particular genre.
    I didn't say any of that.

All I said was that his n-i-g-g-a argument would have more credibility (street cred, if you will) if he were at a Jay-Z concert.

I didn't say any of that.

All I said was that his n-i-g-g-a argument would have more credibility (street cred, if you will) if he were at a Jay-Z concert.
    oh

Carry on.

well, on the surface, it sounds good to me - if time shows a pattern with this guy, i'll know i've been had.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    well, on the surface, it sounds good to me - if time shows a pattern with this guy, i'll know i've been had.
    I agree that Riley Cooper should be given a second chance. He apologized and sounded sincere. He likely will have a target on his back by those who are not inclined to forgive him. Time will tell if he is in fact sincere and not self serving.
    I admired the players that were willing to forgive him. We all stumble sometimes.

Sometimes we are a nation of hypocrites ........... pointing fingers and demanding excess punitive judgments and never look inward to check our own missteps.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" .. Confucius
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation " ...... Henry David Thoreau

Some people are all butthurt about this because he's "using his son" to get votes. Um, this is his flesh and blood. I don't see where it's bad to say "My dad getting elected means NYPD will stop fucking with me."

Posted in the Weiner thread, but it can go here. Some of the blacks are mad about this. But some of the blacks will get mad about ANY fucking thing.

In a very unique appeal to New York City voters, White mayoral candidate (pictured) Bill de Blasio's 15-year-old Black son (pictured), Dante, supported his dad in a TV ad, saying he would would ?end an era of stop-and-frisk that unfairly targets people of color.?

Dante is a product of his dad's marriage to his Black mom, something that the candidate has no problem showing to voters up here in the Big Apple. The son is known for his HUGE AFRO!

We're not sure if de Blasio will win the Mayor's race, but that Fro the son has too cool! Check out the son's stump for his father here: http://newsone.com/2665833/bill-de-b...top-and-frisk/

After the other vids, it feels dishonest to not post the shit that's been going on down here this year. It's always been around, the difference now is that thanks to social media their words & acts are pretty much caught in virtual amber.

http://vibewire.org/2013/06/racism-o...eal-australia/

Sydney June 2013 -

A woman will face court after she launched a racist tirade against an Asian schoolboy on a Sydney bus.

Video footage, recorded by an onlooker, went viral across mainstream and social media earlier this month. The video shows a 55-year-old woman telling an Asian schoolboy to get a passport and educate himself after he refused to sit down. ?Go back on your f?ing boat and f? off,? she said. ?There?s a lot of Aussie passengers on this bus and I?m telling you, they?re totally not going to agree with you?and I?m one of them? Come to this country, you [think you] can do whatever you want. Well you know what? You can?t!?

Analei Netzler, a university student from Sydney, was sitting on the M41 bus at the time. She recalled that everyone was silent and shocked except for another woman who encouraged the aggressor. When asked why she didn?t intervene, Ms Netzler said: ?Don?t get me wrong I was super mad but arguing with a drunk, racist and aggressive person is not something I want to do. Her views aren?t going to change simply because I?ve said it?s wrong.? ?Those views are generational and built over a lifetime?, she said.

The Fallout

After viewing the footage, police began searching for the woman. Just after 5pm on Tuesday 25 June, officers found her at her Balmain apartment and charged her for offensive language, according to NSW police. She is to appear at Burwood Local Court on 6 August 2013. Offensive conduct charges can attract a maximum of three months imprisonment.

In response to the viral video, online comments expressed outrage and embarrassment at the woman?s remarks. Some people called her an ignorant ?Bogan? on welfare. Many claimed they would have stepped in and stopped the woman. Many argued the bus driver should have kicked her off the bus and many applauded the boy for staying calm.

As shocked as people seem to be by this racist outburst, this incident is not an anomaly.

n February, ABC newsreader, Jeremy Fernandez, was kicked off a Sydney bus after facing 15 minutes of racial abuse. He tweeted: ?Worst thing is- i had my 2yo daughter with me. She [woman who verbally abused Fernandez] had her primary school aged kids with her. All heard every word of her racist rant?.

In April, Melbourne commuters berated a woman who was hurling racist abuse at an African man on the train.

A woman who moved to Australia from the Philippines 25 years ago was also racially abused on a Melbourne train in April when a woman told her, ?If my son doesn?t want to sit near someone of your race that?s totally his opinion and neither do I?.

As an Australian-born Malaysian, it is interesting for me to witness the shock that follows these publically broadcasted incidents. For many, these videos come to emblemise Australia?s hidden racism, the underbelly of multicultural Australia. Ms Netzler reflects, ?Although Australia is very multicultural I feel as if a lot of Aussies ?tolerate? multiculturalism rather than accept and embrace it.? She added: ?As a whole I don?t think it?s a racist country. While I think people like her are strong indicators that the old mindset still exists, it represents Australia in the past.?

Growing up in Australia, I do not think there are many Asian kids who could say they have never encountered a racial slur. In primary school, kids might make fun of your eyes or your yellow skin. You might get treated like the token Asian or be told ?You?re pretty, for an Asian?. Once, I was talking to a friend on the street when a woman shouted at us that our presence was annoying her and that we should go back to our country. Whether it comes from friends or strangers, whether it is malicious or unintentional, being pointed out on race is not uncommon for many non-Anglo Australians. Not all people will respond in the same way. Sometimes, it hurts. Sometimes, it is taken as a joke. Sometimes, it makes people stronger and prouder of their cultural heritage.

Do all these incidents prove Australia is a racist country?

I do not think it is fair to label all Australians as racist. The 55-year-old woman who told an Asian schoolboy to ?Go back on your f?ing boat? does not represent the Australian nation. She does not represent my teachers or my friends or the other people on that M41 bus.

At the same time, she is not alone in Australia. Much of the online outcry seems to echo: ?Everyone is racist except for me?. We shame the woman from Balmain for her overt racism. We shame Eddie McGuire for his casual racism. We blame political rhetoric, the media and a failing education system for racism in society. We call the perpetrators ignorant ?Bogans? on Centrelink who are nothing like ourselves and who do not represent the ?real? Australia.

While it is important to identify any hidden undercurrents of racism in society, sitting on a high horse without any self-evaluation is unlikely to bring substantial change. Racism can come from all backgrounds, from all types of people. Racism ends with me.
    ETA I'm pretty sure journalist Jeremy Fernandez was NOT kicked of the bus, but got off voluntarily at his stop - he said it he was going to move but then he remembered another story about a bus seat, so he stayed - when he reported the other passengers behaviour, the bus driver told him the incident was his fault for not moving. He calls it his Rosa Parks moment

ETAETA - the last vid gives a perfect example of why "but he can't be a racist - his grandmother/son/cousin is x, y or z" is complete & utter bullshit.
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-08-2013 at 04:11 PM.

This is from the last episode of the Newsroom. It addresses the use of racially derogatory words in the media.

I realize it's a big place, but I felt way more comfortable walking around with my 6' redheaded Aussie in Australia (Melbourne, Victoria) than I did in areas in Queens and Long Island, NY.

Seriously, I didn't encounter anything negative at all when we were there, and I've gotten into shit walking with her here.

& this one's recent & to make it all the more insulting, - it happened during the Indigenous Round !! during NAIDOC Week - Mum's response was predictably moronic - even went on tv & released their full names because she thought they were the ones wronged. Uggh

in sportNews ? Aussie Rules football hit by racism row as player Adam Goodes is called an 'ape'

Adam Goode has won the Brownlow Medal for the 'fairest and best' player Picture: Getty Images

(The guys flash their mouthguards at a lot of the shit)

By Ilya Gridneff, Sydney 2:48PM BST 27 May 2013

Adam Goodes, one of Australia's most successful indigenous Australian Rules football players, has been racially abused by an opposing team's young fan who called him an "ape".

Adam Goodes, a forward for the Sydney Swans, who has won the Australian Football League's highest honour ? the Brownlow Medal for the "fairest and best" player ? left the field visibly upset late in the game on Friday night after a taunt from a 13-year-old Collingwood fan.

The teenager was evicted after Goodes, 33, standing just yards from her, pointed her out in the stand.

The racial taunt came when the Swans played against Victoria's Collingwood side in what had been designated the AFL's Indigenous Round, billed as a celebration of Australia's Indigenous culture.

"It's not the first time on the footy field I've been referred to as a monkey or an ape. It was shattering," Goodes said after the game. "I just thought how could that happen? And all this week, you know, this week is a celebration of our people and our culture."

He added: "It just hit me that it wasn't a Collingwood issue or an AFL issue, but a society issue."

Julia Gillard the prime minister, weighed in on the issues, calling Goodes a "credit to his club, his code and the entire community."

On Monday Goodes told local media the girl and Collingwood officials had apologised.

The teen apologised for "being racist" and told the Sunday Herald Sun newspaper she will now "think twice" as she did not know her comment was a racial slur.

Following the controversy, video footage was posted on YouTube allegedly showing a second Collingwood supporter during the same game shouting racial abuse at Adam Goodes and another Indigenous Swans player Lewis Jetta.

Australian Rules football has dealt with a number of racial scandals in the past. Last year a recruiter resigned after reportedly claiming he would not draft an Aboriginal unless the player had a white parent.

In 1993, arguably the most famous incident, Nicky Winmar, a St Kilda player, responded to racial taunts from Collingwood fans by raising his jersey to the crowd and pointing to his skin.

I think it is deplorable that the Jackie Robinson statue was defaced. It just doesn't stop.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" .. Confucius
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation " ...... Henry David Thoreau

I realize it's a big place, but I felt way more comfortable walking around with my 6' redheaded Aussie in Australia (Melbourne, Victoria) than I did in areas in Queens and Long Island, NY.

Seriously, I didn't encounter anything negative at all when we were there, and I've gotten into shit walking with her here.
    It's all good til you walk smack bang round a corner into a mob of nazi skinheads. Melbourne's got a particularly scary bunch that have a history dating back decades. Ausgirl posted stuff on them a few months back but I can't remember where. I kind of had links to a bunch of Sydney skins through the Rudies I knew as a teen. They'd turn up at Ska gigs & terrorise everyone - they liked Trojan Records though - so go figure. Sometimes their Melbourne mates would visit & they'd bring them out for some bashing fun. They make my blood run cold. I've witnessed at least 5 literal group head-kickings & stopped quite a few more. It's a sound you never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    It's all good til you walk smack bang round a corner into a mob of nazi skinheads. Melbourne's got a particularly scary bunch that have a history dating back decades. Ausgirl posted stuff on them a few months back but I can't remember where. I kind of had links to a bunch of Sydney skins through the Rudies I knew as a teen. They'd turn up at Ska gigs & terrorise everyone - they liked Trojan Records though - so go figure. Sometimes their Melbourne mates would visit & they'd bring them out for some bashing fun. They make my blood run cold. I've witnessed at least 5 literal group head-kickings & stopped quite a few more. It's a sound you never forget.
    Yea. With no one to back me, that wouldn't have ended well.

& they have to explain it to people ...

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/f...-1226654803999

Why being called an ape hurt Adam Goodes so much

Adam Goodes trains at the SCG. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

IT was the finest day in Gladstone Small's bowling career, as he tore through the Australian top order to set England on its way to a thumping win in a Boxing Day Test. From where I watched it, behind the buffoons in Bay 13, it was

Small, you may remember, had an unusual physique. With hunched shoulders and almost no neck to speak of, he resembled a turtle peeking out of its shell. Born in the Barbados parish of St George, he is also black. That day at the MCG, Australia's batsmen didn't know what to do with Small, other than providing catching practice off his out-swingers. Yet between overs, when he returned to the fine-leg fence, the mob had no doubt. First someone threw a banana. Then other fruit was hurled. As the insults and baboon noises continued, Small remained stoic. It was 1986 and I was 15. I've never forgotten the way he stood there, eyes fixed on the pitch, ears no doubt burning, refusing to acknowledge the racist taunts at this back.

When Adam Goodes reflects on the events of this week, in which he was publicly likened to an ape, once by a 13-year-old girl and for a second time by an AFL club president, he can consider himself in good company. Jackie Robinson, a celebrated figure for his role in helping to integrate professional baseball in the US, was regularly called a monkey. Once the manager of an opposing team entertained the mob with a chimpanzee caricature after Robinson injured himself during a game. The manager, Eddie Stanky, was a former teammate of Robinson. Patrick Ewing, a towering centre for the New York Knicks, was confronted with bananas and ape banners during his college days with Georgetown. Michael Jordan copped it. More recently so has Barack Obama, perhaps the only basketballer to achieve more than MJ. It is a racial brickbat the most influential black men in the US have had to endure. None of this is incidental or accidental. Perversions of Darwin's theories, in which it is argued that black people are lower on the evolutionary ladder than white people, were used to resist the abolition of slavery and, after the US Civil War, to promote segregation. In Australia, scientific racism was used in some instances to suggest Aborigines should be placed on the evolutionary batting order below certain species of ape. It is a targeted, enduring and particularly hurtful form of abuse. As indigenous leader Mick Dodson put it this week: "It is Western DNA, this idea of the other, the savage, the barbarian the wild man akin to the beast of the forest. It is deeply entrenched in Western thoughts."

It is a history Collingwood president and broadcaster Eddie McGuire knows well, a fact that makes his own muddled remark on radio about Goodes being used to promote King Kong all the more perplexing. "I have spent all week explaining that this is something abhorrent to say, something that is terrible," McGuire lamented on the afternoon after his comments. He later explained that many of those conversations were with football figures and businessmen who hadn't grasped why Goodes was so incensed at being called an ape by a young Collingwood supporter at the MCG.

McGuire's private conversations - rather than this comment on radio - reflect the bigger problem here and the difficulty facing any organisation that wants to take a stand against what Waleed Aly calls Australia's high level of low level racism. Brazilian-born Collingwood footballer Harry O'Brien says Australia has a "very casual" attitude towards racism. For every person who understands why calling Goodes an ape was racially offensive, there appear to be plenty who don't. For evidence, look no further than the reader comments that filled the city papers this week and online responses to blogs. As Katie Anderson succinctly put it on the Herald Sun letters page at the start of the week: "It was not racism at all, just name"

At a state secondary college east of Melbourne, the girl who called Goodes an ape has been the hero of the playground this week. Her mother, Joanne Looney, tells Inquirer the other kids have been great. "Everything has basically been turned into a joke at school," she says. "They are calling each other apes and laughing
    ." A VicHealth study published late last year found that of 755 Aboriginal people surveyed, 92 per cent said they had been called racial names or teased in the previous 12 months. Deakin University's Yin Paradies, a leading researcher on racism, says Australians take racism seriously, with about 90 per cent agreeing that racial prejudice is a problem. Yet many of us don't readily recognise racism when we see and hear it. "A lot of people are not seeing jokes as a form of racism at all," Paradies says. "There is work to be done - and it is not surprising - to help people understand what racism is. It is not a meeting of the Ku Klux Klan. It is actually much more common and subtle forms, and it is not really a joking matter." Karen Toohey, the acting commissioner of the Victorian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, says the image of Goodes pointing his finger at the source of a racist taunt resonates stronger than statistics or research. "What we are seeing this week is people like Harry O'Brien and Adam Goodes being able to articulate what that hurt looks like"

At the same time, an online anti-racist campaign featuring Goodes had to be taken down from the Human Rights Commission site after being bombarded with racist comments. Paradies says there is debate over whether bringing attention to incidents such as those involving Goodes are useful in changing attitudes or counter-productive.

He asks: "What is it that most people will take from this? That they should go around calling Aboriginal people apes if they hadn't thought of it before or that they shouldn't?" This week AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou and federal Sports Minister Kate Lundy were resolute in their support of Goodes, who was racially vilified twice in five days. Yet there was no villain in this piece. The 13-year-old girl doesn't understand why she hurt Goodes. McGuire didn't mean to say what he did.

When Nicky Winmar lifted his jumper and pointed to his skin 20 years ago at Victoria Park, it was one man's gesture against a racist mob - the kind of mob that vilified Small that day at the MCG. There was no racial vilification code at the time and little support from the AFL. Goodes is a well-paid footballer in a fully professional era. On his own, he has a powerful voice. Backed by the AFL and its well-established anti-vilification code, he can more than handle himself. If the AFL wants to reduce racism it must convince the supporters in the outer, the kids in the playground and the Herald Sun readers still wondering what all the fuss was about.

http://mobile.news.com.au/breaking-n...-1226650580225

MCG defends treatment of girl at centre of Adam Goodes scandal as family expresses anger Aaron Langmaid Sunday Herald Sun May 27, 2013 6:00PM

Goodes gutted by girl?s name-calling

'Racism has a face. It's a 13-yo girl,' Swans champ Adam Goodes tells of the shattering moment he heard a racial slur from the boundary lin... (3:09 /3.7MB)

THE Melbourne Cricket Club has defended its treatment of a teenage girl ordered from her seat after she yelled a racist remark at Swans star Adam Goodes at the weekend. Furious fans hurled abuse at the 13-year-old as she was escorted up the steps from where she had been sitting with her grandmother. But MCC spokesman Shane Brown said once security guards realised the girl was a minor they went back to find the accompanying adult she had been with. "After identifying the female patron involved, the guards escorted her out of the seating bowl and referred her to Victoria Police for further investigation,'' Mr Brown said. "Once informed that the patron was a minor, the guards immediately returned to the seating bowl to locate a parent or guardian. "We are satisfied with the actions of the guards, who were following correct procedure.''

He said the girl was not ejected and the matter had been handed over to Victoria Police. The Collingwood fan called Goodes an "ape" with only minutes to go in Friday night's Indigenous Round game and was ejected from the MCG after a long grilling by police. The teen has since apologised for "being racist". The girl told the Sunday Herald Sun she will now "think twice" as she did not realise her denigrating comment was a racial slur. This morning, her mother, Joanne, told 3AW radio that her daughter was doing OK, but she was still concerned about her treatment by security. "She's not doing too bad considering everything that?s happened," Joanne said. "I would like her to get on with her life basically."

Joanne said today that she believed her daughter was "very scared" when she was taken away by security. "It was ridiculous that she was in there for so long. For two hours they interviewed her over her saying, 'You're an ape'," her mother told the Sunday Herald Sun. "I hope it's done and dusted. I think it was blown out, for a 13-year-old, it was blown out of proportion. I think she would take it back if she could. I'd just like to apologise to Adam for it being said and apologise to the Collingwood Football Club." Lucy said her granddaughter, who has only just turned 13, was crying in the police room. The police officer told me she had been "very honest with us", Lucy told 3AW. "So to me that means that they had already questioned her without a guardian." Lucy said she initially didn't go with her granddaughter because she had two other granddaughters, aged 14 and 15, to look after. "They shouldn?t have questioned her in the first place without me and security shouldn't have taken her away on her own, they should have taken us all," Lucy said.

Joanne agreed that people should forgive and forget, and that her daughter "had no intention of hurting Adam". "It's not as if she swore at him," Joanne told 3AW. "She had no idea that that was what he was called at high school, so that?s a big part of it I think as well. I think Adam still has a few problems about what?s happened in his childhood." The visibly upset Swans star stormed off the ground after the slur, leaving the rest of his team to celebrate a 47-point win. In an open letter to Goodes given to the Sunday Herald Sun, the girl apologised for "being racist". "Dear Adam, it was good to talk to you on the phone. I'm sorry for being racist. "I didn't mean any harm and now I'll think twice before I speak." Goodes said earlier he was shattered but did not blame the teen. 'Racism had a face ... and it was a 13-year-old girl - but it's not her fault," Goodes said. The teen girl spoke to Goodes and Magpie president Eddie McGuire on the phone to apologise for her actions. Goodes explained to the teen why the use of the word "ape" was insulting to indigenous people and she had to learn from her mistake. The family says a gracious McGuire told the teen she was still part of the Collingwood family. McGuire says she will be welcomed back to Collingwood matches. The Magpies president was angered and saddened at Friday night's events, but that "evolution, not revolution" was vital in alleviating future racism. "We've organised counselling services ... for her, her friends and family and we won't be abandoning her," McGuire said. "We want her to know it's side by side we stick together. You made a blue, but we all do. We're a forgiving club, and we want to make sure that she feels she can come to the football and help her get through this situation. "I'm sure Adam Goodes will help us in our pursuits. "It's really important, though, that we remember she's a young girl and not to walk away from education rather than humiliation."

Adam Goodes in the crowd at the St Kilda v Western Bulldogs game at Etihad Stadum. Picture: Colleen Petch

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou described the incident as "extremely disappointing". Witnesses say angry footy fans booed the girl as she was led from her front-row seat by MCG security. Nearby spectator James Molony, 23, said the crowd lost interest in the football after the taunt, focusing their energy instead on an "extremely vocal" reaction with lots of swearing. "It was extremely abusive and on both sides; not just the Sydney supporters, but the Collingwood supporters as well," he said. "You could see she couldn't get out of the stadium fast enough." Collingwood ruckman Darren Jolly reportedly comforted Goodes, telling him: "Please don't let one person ruin your leadership this week." Salvation Army Major Brendan Nottle, who acts as Collingwood's chaplain, said he had offered to talk to the girl and her family to help them cope with social media backlash. "There absolutely has to be zero tolerance towards that sort of behaviour, but at the same time the girl is 13," he said. - with Emily Portelli, Jessica Evans and Mark Hayes

So just like your recent sporting incident, the talk from the club's publicity machine sounded great - education not humiliation etcetc - but then the same man delivering those speeches was responsible for this just 3 days later -

Eddie McGuire, Club President (&former host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire) says Adam Goode could promote King Kong 3 days after going into damage control over comments made by a 13 yr old supporter of his club (Collingwood)

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

Neo-Nazi Festival on Queensland's Gold Coast March 2013

AUDIO [3:49] Sydney sociologist warns Australians ignore race hate groups at their peril

Rdsidents on the Gold Coast are furious after a group of neo-Nazi white supremacists were allowed to hold a gathering on the Queensland tourist strip over the weekend.

Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke condemned the gathering, organised by a group calling themselves the Southern Cross Hammerskins, but said he was powerless to stop it.

The skinheads organised the gathering alongside the international hate groups Blood and Honour and Crew 38 but very little else was known about it.

Anyone who was interested in going was merely told to email an organiser named Tattooed Aryan.

That person would then arrange to pick them up and take them to a secret location.

Gold Coast police monitored the weekend event and say it passed without incident but they wouldn't be interviewed about it and they would not say exactly where it took place.

They also would not comment on how many people turned up.

Councillor Clarke says while he was absolutely opposed to it happening, there was nothing he could do to stop it because it was held on private property.

You can't account for people's political leanings, tastes, or stupidity, can you? he said.
    The gathering started about 7:00pm on Friday when a group of about 30 skinheads turned up at a suburban restaurant in Ashmore on the Gold Coast.

Some of the heavily tattooed and shaven-headed men displayed swastikas. Others were wearing t-shirts with the slogan "Blood and Honour".

Blood and Honour is a global skinhead network which was banned in Germany in 2000 for spreading Nazi messages.

Sociologist Alec Pemberton from the University of Sydney says Australians should be worried about the group's activities here.

"These are white supremacists and they've actually been engaged in other countries in real acts of terror," he said.(click link for full article)

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2010-0...-locals/403158
    Neo-Nazis jailed for attack on Vietnamese student

UPDATED WED 12 DEC 2012, 5:17 PM AEDT

Two members of a Melbourne Neo-Nazi group have been sentenced to jail for a brutal attack on a Vietnamese student.

Minh Duong was walking home from his job in Ascot Vale in June when he was set upon by Shannon Hudson, 21 and Wayne O'Brien, 20, both of Ascot Vale.

Mr Duong was kicked and punched repeatedly before being stabbed and having a brick dropped on his head.

A number of nearby residents heard his screams and called the police.

Mr Duong was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

Justice Betty King described the attack as brutal, saying it was sparked by the men's racist beliefs.

The men pleaded guilty to intentionally causing serious injury.

Hudson was sentenced to 10-and-a-half years in jail, while O'Brien was given a four-and-a-half-year sentence.

POSTED WED 12 DEC 2012, 3:05 PM AEDT

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2012-1...attack/4424100
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-09-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Hey look! It's me again!!

Oh well. This one sux, but it's good too. "Fuck off Aussie racists - you're an embarassment" -

man... australia is making me feel a little better about america. only a little though.

Thread Information