Page 95 of 98 FirstFirst ... 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2448

Thread: THAT'S RACIST! Part 2: discussing racial tension in the US/abroad

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...86691.html?amp

National Action: Neo-Nazi terrorist couple who named baby ?Adolf? jailed

Adam Thomas and Claudia Patatas jailed alongside four other members of terrorist group

Lizzie Dearden Home Affairs Correspondent

A neo-Nazi couple who gave their baby the middle name ?Adolf? in Hitler?s honour have been jailed.

Adam Thomas, 22, and Claudia Patatas, 38, were among six people sentenced for being members of the banned terrorist group National Action.

Thomas was jailed for six-and-a-half years and Patatas for five, after being convicted of membership of a proscribed organisation.

Birmingham Crown Court heard they gave their own baby the middle name Adolf in ?admiration? of Hitler and had decorated their home with swastika cushions and a Ku Klux Klan flag.

The couple were sentenced alongside alongside fellow neo-Nazis Darren Fletcher, Daniel Bogunovic, Joel Wilmore and Nathan Pryke.

British couple named baby after Adolf Hitler, court hears

National Action neo-Nazi ?trained daughter to perform Hitler salute?

Couple who named baby after Hitler found guilty on terror charge
    Judge Melbourne Inman QC told Patatas she was ?equally as extreme as Thomas both in your views and actions?.

?You acted together in all you thought, said and did, in the naming of your son and the disturbing photographs of your child, surrounded by symbols of Nazism and the Ku Klux Klan,? he added.

The judge called National Action's aims ?horrific?, adding: ?Its aims and objectives are the overthrow of democracy in this country by serious violence and murder, and the imposition of a Nazi-style state which would eradicate whole sections of society by such violence and mass-murder.

"The eradication of those who you consider to be inferior because of no more than the colour of their skin, or their religion."

Swastika cushions found at the Banbury home of National Action members Claudia Patatas and Adam Thomas (Crown Prosecution Service)

Photographs recovered from electronic devices showed Thomas cradling his newborn son while wearing the hooded white robes of a Ku Klux Klansman at their Banbury home.

In conversation with another National Action member, Patatas said ?all Jews must be put to death?, while Thomas had once told his partner he ?found that all non-whites are intolerable?.

Former Amazon security guard Thomas and Patatas, a wedding photographer originally from Portugal, were found guilty of membership of a proscribed group after a seven-week trial.

Thomas, a twice-failed Army applicant who told the court he once considered converting to Judaism, was also convicted on a majority verdict of having a terrorist manual that contained instructions on making ?viable? bombs.

His close friend Fletcher, 28, of Wolverhampton, admitted membership of National Action and had trained his daughter to perform a Nazi salute as a toddler.

?Finally got her to do it,? he wrote to Patatas, later writing in a message group: ?I always yell ?sieg heil?, and the big smirk that comes across my daughter?s face at that point, always melts my heart.?

Judge Inman QC told Fletcher he was an "extreme member" even by National Action's standards, adding: "The depth of your racism is also evidenced by how you have been able to groom your own child.

?On your own evidence, you have been seeking to indoctrinate your own child in these vile beliefs.?

Claudia Patatas and her baby with friend Darren Fletcher (PA)

Bogunovic, 27, of Crown Hills Rise in Leicester, was described in court on Friday as a ?committed National Action leader, propagandist and strategist?.

He was also found guilty of inciting racial hatred by spreading National Action stickers at Birmingham?s Aston University complex in July 2016.

Wilmore, of Bramhall Road in Stockport, was a cyber security worker described as the Midlands' National Action cell's ?banker?. He also pleaded guilty to possessing bombmaking instructions.

Van driver Pryke, a 26-year-old from March in Cambridgeshire, was the group's ?security enforcer?.

Prosecutor Barnaby Jameson QC said all six defendants had remained members of National Action after it was banned and taken part in the organisation's chat groups, which were staging posts for comments of ?virulent racism, particularly from Thomas, Patatas and Fletcher?.

"Leaders Pryke, Wilmore and Bogunovic were more circumspect in their views but on occasion the true depth of their racial hatred leeched out,? he added.

Even after National Action was banned in December 2016, the group continued to share vile messages and arrange meetings but changed the name of their chat group to ?Triple K Mafia? ? a reference to the Ku Klux Klan in the US.

The messages praised the Nazis, Hitler, the ?final solution? and photos included that of men dressed in paramilitary-style clothes holding up or surrounded by National Action banners.

Wilmore was jailed for five years and 10 months, Bogunovic for six years and four months, Pryke for five years and five months and Fletcher for five years.

Bogunovic was connected to another regional National Action cell whose members were convicted earlier this year.

They included a British Army soldier who was trying to recruit troops for a race war and had stockpiled weapons.

Detective Chief Superintendent Matt Ward, head of the West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit, said the group had spent years planning for a race war.

?These individuals were not simply racist fantasists; we now know they were a dangerous, well-structured organisation,? he added. ?Their aim was to spread neo-Nazi ideology by provoking a race war in the UK and they had spent years acquiring the skills to carry this out.

?They had researched how to make explosives. They had gathered weapons. They had a clear structure to radicalise others. Unchecked they would have inspired violence and spread hatred and fear.?

Det Ch Supt Ward said the Midlands chapter of National Action had been "dismantled" but the threat posed by the group continued.

He urged the public to watch out for its propaganda and new cells, which may operate under different names.

National Action members have been linked to a series of terror plots and one of its supporters tried to behead an Asian man in 2015.

The group was banned as a terrorist organisation for its glorification of violence and ?racist, antisemitic and homophobic? ideology in 2016.

I didn't realise National Action were in the UK too, I thought they were just an Australian embarrassment

I don't know why they weren't banned in Australia too. Aside from all the random hate crimes they've committed, in 1989 they attacked the ANC representative to Australia with a shotgun. Then in the 90s, while police had their headquarters bugged, they executed a member for supposedly being an informant. When the recordings were eventually released, it emerged that police were listening in the whole time but did nothing

There were complaints about their inaction at the time but I guess NSW Police decided their operation was going to be run like an Attenborough documentary - "we observe the wildlife, but we can't intervene in their natural habitat & behaviours".

http://www.kake.com/story/39705840/m...-grocery-store

Man accused of kicking toddler, yelling racial slurs at Wichita grocery store
    Posted: Dec 29, 2018 3:49 AM
    Updated: Dec 29, 2018 9:31 AM

A man is accused of kicking a 1-year-old boy and knocking him down in a Wichita grocery store earlier this week.

Jail records show 31-year-old Trace Riff was booked Sunday for ethnic intimidation, simple battery and resisting arrest. He's no longer listed on the jail's website.

Lashantai Whitaker said that her son was kicked while his older sister was walking him through the Dillons at Douglas and Hillside.

"Through the investigation it was learned Trace walked into the Dillon [sic] store and kicked a 1-year-old victim in the back causing the child to fall on the floor while yelling obscenities and racial slurs," Officer Paul Cruz said.

The boy was not seriously hurt

Whitaker thanked the worker who tackled Riff to the ground and other staff who helped hold him down until police arrived. She also thanked emergency medical personnel and police.

"I'm still in a daze, because it could have went so many different ways, he could have had a weapon," Whitaker said on social media. "It just reminds you of how scary it is to raise black children. Makes you want to keep your children sheltered and in a bubble."

Kansas Department of Corrections records show he has a prior conviction of battery on a law enforcement officer. He's been listed as an absconder four times between June 2017 and September 2018. His post-release expired in October

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/cr...223614810.html

Wichita Eagle Logo He?s accused of kicking a Wichita toddler and yelling racial slurs. Now he?s free | The Wichita

He?s accused of kicking a Wichita toddler and yelling racial slurs. Now he?s free
    BY TIM POTTER AND CHANCE SWAIM

DECEMBER 27, 2018 05:20 PM,

UPDATED DECEMBER 28, 2018 09:52 AM

Mother of a 1-year-old that was kicked by a white man reflects on what happened. The man accused of kicking a 1-year-old black child in the back and yelling racial slurs at a Wichita grocery store bonded out of jail several hours after his arrest.
    By Bo Rader

A white man accused of kicking a 1-year-old black child in the back and yelling racial slurs in a Wichita grocery store bonded out of jail several hours after his arrest Sunday.

Now, the boy?s mother and grandmother say they fear that with the man back on the streets, another child could be attacked.

?I don?t understand: He?s out just hours after he attacked a baby,? said Yolanda Frierson, grandmother of 1-year-old Jhavii Fry.

?He could attack someone else?s kid . . . if he?s out and he?s everywhere,? said Jhavii?s mother, Lashantai Whitaker.

The man police arrested ? Trace Riff, 31 ? has a history of mental illness, homelessness, not reporting to parole officers, drug use and violent crimes, records show. He is on probation in Oklahoma for a felony meth charge.

In an interview Thursday afternoon, Whitaker recalled what happened around 7:20 Sunday morning: The family had just stepped into the Dillons grocery store at Douglas and Hillside. The 29-year-old Whitaker, who is pregnant and due to give birth in a couple months, was walking just ahead of her 11-year-old daughter, who was holding the hand of 1-year-old Jhavii. ?It happened so fast,? she said.

Whitaker heard a thud. Her daughter screamed that a man had kicked her brother.

The man kicked her son from behind with his cowboy boot, causing the boy to fall face down, she said.

The man tried to leave the store but bystanders tackled him and held him until police arrived, she recalled.

The man went on a rant, Whitaker said, yelling the ?N word? and saying he was a white supremacist.

?He sounded like a madman.?

Her son, who will turn 2 in June, began to scream, Whitaker said. ?He?s never cried or screamed that loud? before.

The thick coat the boy wore protected him from the kick. Not even a bruise. Still, emergency workers checked him for injuries.

A witness told Whitaker that he saw the man kick her son. It?s not clear whether store video captured the incident. A Dillons corporate spokesman couldn?t be reached on Thursday.

What?s disturbing is that the man seemed to target only her young son, Whitaker said.

A Wichita police report says the incident was classified as a case of ?battery? and ?resist? where the man was suspected of using alcohol. A ?personal weapon,? which would include a boot, was involved, the report said.

Riff was arrested and booked into the Sedgwick County jail on Sunday on suspicion of ethnic intimidation, battery and resisting police, an arrest report says.

Hours later, around 3:30 p.m., Riff was released from jail on a $3,500 bond, the Sheriff?s Office said. Riff does not have any special bond conditions, sheriff?s Lt. Tim Myers said.

The boy?s grandmother, Frierson, said she feared that with a record of not reporting to authorities, Riff ?could run.?

Because Riff is facing misdemeanor charges, the case will be handled by Wichita Municipal Court, not the Sedgwick County District Attorney?s Office, DA spokesman Dan Dillon said Thursday.

In a statement Thursday afternoon, the Police Department said it ?is investigating a racially motivated bias crime where (Riff) was arrested. . . . Through the investigation it was learned (Riff) walked into the . . . store and kicked a 1-year-old victim in the back causing the child to fall on the floor while yelling obscenities and racial slurs. (Riff) was booked for battery that was bias and racially motivated, as well as resist arrest.?

Riff?s arrest Sunday was his second encounter with Wichita police in two days and part of a pattern of behavior dating back years and spanning states, police and court records show.

A criminal history

The public record of Riff?s criminal past stretches back to 2002, when he was 15. He was arrested on suspicion of attempting to elude police, burglary and larceny of and from an automobile in Edmond, Oklahoma, after a police chase ended in a car crash, according to a report on NewsOK.com.

In Oklahoma City, Riff was convicted of DUIs in 2007 and 2008. The next year, he was convicted of domestic abuse. Four years later, he was convicted of possession of marijuana and public drunkenness, according to his criminal history worksheet filed in Sedgwick County District Court.

In Las Vegas, Riff was convicted of domestic battery in 2014, his criminal history shows.

By 2015, Riff was back in Oklahoma, where he was convicted of felony possession of methamphetamine, which carries a four-year sentence in that state, possession of paraphernalia and obstruction, according to records in Oklahoma. For that, he was placed on probation.

Riff ended up in Wichita sometime between his 2015 conviction for meth and April, 29, 2016, when he was arrested in Wichita for assaulting a law enforcement officer.

After that, Riff spent nearly two years in and out of jail, prison and a mental hospital in Kansas.

During 16 months of supervision, he absconded four times, including as recently as Sept. 17, Kansas Department of Corrections records show. Less than a month later, on Oct. 12, Riff was released from state supervision.

It?s not clear if Kansas authorities communicated to Oklahoma about Riff?s release. A spokesman for the Oklahoma Department of Corrections said Riff appears to be in good standing. A revocation of his probation had not been filed by Thursday.

On Saturday, the day before police say Riff kicked the child, he was arrested on suspicion of illegal inhalation, or huffing, near 29th and Rock. It doesn?t appear he was booked into jail for that.

In a financial affidavit filed in the 2016 Kansas court case, Riff told the judge he had been unemployed for two years at that time and provided an address for a house on North Green. In another section of the court documents, which were signed by Riff on May 3, 2016, he said he was homeless.

His fb.

https://m.facebook.com/trace.riff

I may get trashed for this, but this sounds like a mental health issue than more than anything blatantly racist. I have an ex whose uncle was very mentally ill and would just randomly walk around at night yelling racist, borderline unintelligible, things, and was then arrested for firing off a handgun randomly in one of the town parks in the middle of the night and then stealing said exes car, running from police, and wrecking her car into someones garage. He was sentenced to a state run mental health facility after arrest, and after 6 months of medications for paranoid schizophrenia and various other mental illnesses, he was a totally different dude to the guy I had met quite a while earlier and definitely didn't hold any of the beliefs he spouted when he was not on his meds. I could be totally wrong and if anyone has read anything going against this, please call me out for this and correct me.

It sounds like he is clearly a danger to others, so I agree with the thought that he should not be out on the streets at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Yeah, I just read about these little pieces of shit. They are from the same high school 2 of my cousins went to. The "March for Life" they were attending must have only been for white babies....
    What one of the students from the school is saying:

What do you all think?

It always amazes me when someone does something that's considered wrong people always want to blame the parents of that person. Why is that?

Yeah, I just read about these little pieces of shit. They are from the same high school 2 of my cousins went to. The "March for Life" they were attending must have only been for white babies....
    You do realize that there are black students at that school, right? .....and you do realize that there were black students present at that march for life?

Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    According to the other reports and the other videos that surfaced, it does seem that this all started with black men talking shit to the white kids...then the indian dude walked towards the kids and got into their faces and started beating his drum. The indian dude even said "they blocked my way". It def doesn't look like they blocked his way, he walked towards them. I don't care what color, I am not convinced teenagers went there to start shit with adult black israelites and adult indian chiefs.
    Ive read both sides and I agree with you. God help me.

There was misinformation that came out at first, so it was a little confusing.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Gah. Tough situation.. I have many native friends and I will say that sometimes they are a little quick to take offense, when the offender is just ignorant. There is a case locally where a drunk white guy spilled his drink on a native child. Much offense was taken, "racist attacks child" but video seemed to show just a clumsy drunk and a kid in the wrong place. I understand the anger, I've certainly been in situations where the native person was treated very poorly... But given the MAGA hats? I see racism.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    You do realize that there are black students at that school, right? .....and you do realize that there were black students present at that march for life?
    You do realize in no way was I being serious in that statement, right? ......and you do realize I have the gift of sight and can see the same things you do?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-...acism/10733592

Darwin pub staff allegedly told to ban 'blacks' and charge Aboriginal customers for water
    By Elias Clure
    Updated earlier today at 9:25am

A racist text message.

PHOTO: A text message sent to a staffer at Rorkes from the boss's phone. (Supplied)

The owner of a well-known Darwin nightspot is facing claims he instructed staff to bar Indigenous people from his premises and that he owes thousands of dollars in unpaid wages to his employees.

Key points :

Staff of Rorkes Beer Wine and Food have made claims about being owed thousands and racist treatment of Indigenous patrons

Several staff have lodged complaints with the Fair Work commission

The bar has been closed for days and the ABC understands 15 staff members have taken part in a mass walk-out

Mitchell McNamee, the owner of Rorkes Beer, Wine and Food, in central Darwin, allegedly wrote to a senior staffer saying, "I told you no blacks in my f***ing bar".

He also allegedly told staffers to start charging Aboriginal patrons for water and suggested in a text message they should use the excuse of "no singlets" to stop Indigenous people from entering.

Mr McNamee declined to respond to the allegations when contacted by the ABC multiple times on Monday.

Staff walk out due to conditions

Staff members at Rorkes, which operates in Darwin's historic Commonwealth Bank building, staged a walk-out last week and claimed they were owed several weeks' pay.

One high-ranked staff member said she was owed $10,000 and has not been paid since early January.

Staff further alleged that Mr McNamee would regularly instruct them to remove Indigenous patrons for no legitimate reason.

Rorkes was not open for business on Sunday and Monday and the ABC was told only a handful of staff now remained on the business's books.

Several staff also lodged official complaints with the Fair Work commissioner.

Thom Brock, who worked at Rorkes as a junior manager, said he was owed almost $6,000 from about three weeks of unpaid wages and alleged that Mr McNamee would often pay him late and made staff feel uncomfortable.

Two bar workers sitting at a table.

PHOTO: Thom Brock and Beau Amy have both quit their jobs at the pub. (ABC News: Elias Clure)

He also added, "he's a racist", and said he'd also been asked to demand payment when Indigenous customers asked for water.

"He would ask me to charge (Indigenous customers) for water, which we're obviously not allowed to do because it's supposed to be free," he said.

Claims of pay being dropped

Beau Amy moved from Victoria's Swan Hill to work as a duty manager at Rorkes.

He also walked out last week.

"When I first started I was promised a certain amount [of pay] ? and then without any notice my pay was dropped by a large amount," Mr Amy said.

"He actually avoided me for several weeks and then in the final weeks I wasn't getting paid at all."

Mr Amy said estimated he was owed more than $4,000 and also claims he hasn't been paid for several weeks.

Business suffering amid downturn

Both Mr Brock and Mr Amy believed the business wasn't making much money and had been suffering amid Darwin's current economic downturn.

However, the inner workings of the bar's finances were never revealed to senior staff.

A flashy pub in the centre of Darwin called Rorkes.

PHOTO: Central Darwin pub Rorkes has been closed for days. (ABC News: Elias Clure)

"I was never allowed to see that side of it," Mr Amy said.

"I was told it was doing great ? so, I thought we were doing well until the pay started to change, he lied to me about how well the business was doing.

"It made me feel worthless really. I've moved across from the other side of the country to help someone out and I've been lied to and asked to work for free."

Mr Amy has also filed a complaint with Fair Work.

Several former staffers told the ABC that Mr McNamee promised to repay the owed wages.

Mass staff walkout at Rorkes

The reports of racism and lack of payment were supported by another staff member who spoke to the ABC but asked not to be identified.

The former sales manager said he was owed more than a week and a half worth of pay and would often be blamed for the bar being empty.

"I was actually the first person to quit because staff were not getting paid and the way he behaved ? he just didn't seem to grasp the situation," he said.

"This is someone who doesn't understand that people who do work for him need to be paid and you need to respect people."

The ABC understands 15 staff members quit Rorkes over the past week including the venue's general manager and its head chef.

Just in case it's different in other countries, charging Black customers for water is an issue firstly, & obviously, because he's applying his rule on the basis of race but secondly because by law water has to be supplied free of charge.

This is an example of water serving laws from Western Australia

Free Drinking Water
    Where liquor is sold and supplied for consumption on the premises, all licensees are required to provide potable drinking water for patrons to consume on the premises free of charge during trading hours.

In order to comply with the minimum requirement, venues are able to choose to provide water:

from a water jug at bar service areas;

by way of water coolers/fountains located at bar areas and throughout the venue;

by some other form of water dispenser.

Water must be clean and refreshed regularly. Warm or hot water will not be considered compliant with this condition nor will the use of hand basins taps in toilet facilities be considered as compliant with this condition.

Failure to provide free drinking water at a Licensed venue

Offender Penalty ($)

Licensee 10,000
    Approved Manager 4,000

Ok I read some more and saw a video of one of the Covington kids “rape” jokes. I take back what I said before. I’m dumb.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    You're not dumb. They went out of their way to try to lie and excuse their behaviour, and make it look like they were good guys. There are several videos out there of things these Covington kids have been doing lately. I think the original assessment that they are Trumpy pieces of shit is probably the correct assessment.
    Same tree that gave us Kavanaugh. Bunch of entitled racists.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Ok I read some more and saw a video of one of the Covington kids “rape” jokes. I take back what I said before. I’m dumb.
    You are not dumb. There's all kinds of different reports, different video, this person said that, this person said this. It can be confusing.

Laughing at the cnn staff and the msnbc staff all apologizing for their lies. I don't think I've ever seen this before. I'm wondering if the indian dude will apologize for all of his lies!?!

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/na...ign/1769418349

New York Sports Anchor Warner Wolf Detained over allegations he destroyed a sign he alleged to be racist.

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) - Sportscaster Warner Wolf is facing a felony charge after police say he damaged a sign outside his Florida community because it included the word “Plantation,” which he considers racist.

Collier County records show the 81-year-old Wolf surrendered Thursday on a felony criminal mischief charge and was released.

The sheriff’s office says Wolf long complained about his community’s name, Classics Plantation Estates.

Deputies say surveillance video shows Wolf removing the letters Nov. 30. They say he gave the letters to a security guard, telling him to pass them to the property manager. Damage is estimated at $1,100.

Wolf declined to comment Saturday and his attorney didn’t immediately return a call. Wolf announced baseball, football, and the Olympics for ABC in the 1970s and did sportscasts in Washington, D.C., and New York.

Quote Originally Posted by KambingSociety View Post
    https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/na...ign/1769418349

New York Sports Anchor Warner Wolf Detained over allegations he destroyed a sign he alleged to be racist.

Pretty sure this is the opposite of "That's Racist"

Pretty sure this is the opposite of "That's Racist"
    But Warner Wolf decided that plantation sign is racist according to the report.

But Warner Wolf decided that plantation sign is racist according to the report.
    The dude is 81. He probably thinks he's living in the 1840's or that baseball is still segregated I could say the word "servant" is racist. That doesn't make me a racist? I'm not saying it doesn't fit here, but don't throw this old dude under the bus as a racist when he isn't (as far as I know)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/b...ogizes-n973276

Burberry pulls sweatshirt with noose around neckline, apologizes

A sweatshirt presented in Burberry's London Fashion Week show Sunday that featured an apparent noose around the neckline has been removed from its newest line, according to the company's CEO.

"We are deeply sorry for the distress caused by one of the products that featured in our [Autumn/Winter] 2019 runway collection Tempest," Marco Gobbetti said in a statement.

Gobbetti added that the hoodie has been pulled from the collection, and all images featuring it have been removed from Burberry's site.

Burberry - Runway - LFW February 2019A model walks the runway at the Burberry show during London Fashion Week on Feb. 17, 2019 in London.Estrop / WireImage
    "Though the design was inspired by the marine theme that ran throughout the collection, it was insensitive and we made a mistake," he said.

Riccardo Tisci, Burberry's chief creative officer who designed the show, also apologized.

"I am so deeply sorry for the distress that has been caused as a result of one of the pieces in my show on Sunday," Tisci said in a statement. "While the design was inspired by a nautical theme, I realize that it was insensitive. It was never my intention to upset anyone. ... I will make sure that this does not happen again.”

The description of Burberry's Tempest line posted on the company's website says the pieces drew "inspiration from the contrasts in British culture and weather." But the description doesn't mention the sea or a nautical theme.

Liz Kennedy, who was in the Tempest show, posted pictures of the sweatshirt on Instagram on Sunday, saying she raised concerns about the sweatshirt after leaving "my fitting extremely triggered after seeing this look."

"Suicide is not fashion. It is not glamorous nor edgy," Kennedy wrote. "Let’s not forget about the horrifying history of lynching either. There are hundreds of ways to tie a rope and they chose to tie it like a noose completely ignoring the fact that it was hanging around a neck."

Kennedy said she has gone "through an experience with suicide" in her family, but when she tried to address the issue before the show, she was told to write a letter, and that, "'It’s fashion. Nobody cares about what’s going on in your personal life so just keep it to yourself.'”

She also said in her post that she was further disturbed when the show's staff "briefly hung one from the ceiling (trying to figure out the knot) and were laughing about it in the dressing room."

Related

Gobbetti said he personally called Kennedy to apologize.

Kennedy said that she chose to speak out because the show was "dedicated to the youth expressing their voice."

With her post, she included a screenshot of a post that appeared to have been written by Tisci accompanying a picture of the offending hoodie. "I dedicate this show to the youth of today, to them having the courage to scream for what they believe in, for them to have the beauty in expressing their voice," he wrote. Tisci's post has since been deleted.

Models in Sunday's show walked a standard runway, in a sleek space, and also a runway that weaved through an industrial-looking space bordered with teens climbing scaffolding.

"Rebellious youths scaled fence walls in one space, sending a message of liberation and freedom, while order and structure prevailed in the other," a description of the show said on Burberry's website.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-prison.html

Bourgeois Jr was among several people prosecuted for using unjustifiable force against others after Hurricane Katrina tore through on August 29, 2005, leaving New Orleans without power and largely underwater from flooding caused by levee failures.

Donnell Herrington (above) was severely injured by bullets to his neck and back +4
    Donnell Herrington (above) was severely injured by bullets to his neck and back

Days after Katrina hit the Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf Coasts and levee failures flooded much of New Orleans, Bourgeois fired a shotgun at three black men who were trying to evacuate the area.

Prosecutors said that he and others had formed a vigilante neighborhood watch and had discussed shooting black people and defending the Algiers Point neighborhood of New Orleans from "outsiders" after the storm.

Before and after the shooting, his conversations were punctuated with racial epithets.

Bourgeois was in a wheelchair when was sentenced by US District Judge Mary Ann Vial Lemmon.

One man he shot, Donnell Herrington, was hit in his neck and back. Two others, Chris Collins and Marcel Alexander, were struck in their arms, legs and backs.

Bourgeois' original indictment claimed he had told a black neighborhood resident: 'Anything coming up this street darker than a brown paper bag is getting shot.'

Under his plea deal, Bourgeois Jr conceded that he and other residents of Algiers Point formed a vigilante neighborhood watch group after the storm, vowing to shoot 'outsiders' (file photo) +4
    Under his plea deal, Bourgeois Jr conceded that he and other residents of Algiers Point formed a vigilante neighborhood watch group after the storm, vowing to shoot 'outsiders' (file photo)

After he shot the men, Bourgeois Jr allegedly bragged that he 'got one' and threatened to 'kill that n*****' if he learned that the victim had survived.

He also displayed a bloody baseball cap that fell off Herrington's head during the attack as if it were a trophy, according to documents Bourgeois Jr signed when pleading guilty.

Defense attorney Valerie Welz Jusselin argued for a five-year sentence in court Thursday, noting her client's frail health.

She placed part of the blame for his behavior on the rampant confusion and fear that gripped the city after the storm, and said even trained police officers mistakenly believed that martial law was in effect and that they had license to shoot at will at suspected looters.

Federal prosecutor Mary Hahn dismissed that characterization of the circumstances, noting that the men Bourgeois shot were headed for a ferry, hoping to evacuate the city, not looters.

She also emphasized evidence of Bourgeois' hate-filled statements and his waving around of Herrington's bloody cap.

'This was a premeditated attempt to kill,' Hahn said.

Bourgeois Jr was indicted in 2010 and was freed on bond before being jailed again in August 2017 for violating the conditions of his release.

According to court documents, at the time of his bond violation, US Marshals recovered 10 rifles and seven handguns from the residence where he was living.

Bourgeois Jr avoided going to trial by pleading guilty to charges of 'interference with rights' and 'use of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence' last fall.

Under the plea agreement, his prison sentence would be at least five years and at most 10 years.

In addition to the Bourgeois matter, other cases arising from post-Katrina violence included the deadly shooting by police officers of unarmed civilians at the Danziger bridge in the days after the storm - a case that led to eventual guilty pleas from several officers during a long and complicated court case.

In an unrelated post-Katrina case, five other officers were tried on charges related to the death of 31-year-old Henry Glover, who was fatally shot outside a strip mall before his body was burned.

The officer who burned the body was the only one who stood convicted when the case was over.

The officer who fatally shot Glover was convicted of manslaughter but was later acquitted by another jury after an appeals court awarded him a new trial.

https://abc7.com/photo-of-oc-student...trage/5165730/

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A photo taken at a teen party in Newport Beach is sparking outrage in the community over its depiction of anti-Semitic imagery.

The photo depicts a series of red plastic cups arranged in the shape of a swastika and students standing around giving what appears to be a Nazi salute.

The picture was taken at a recent party and at least some of the partygoers are believed to be students at Newport Harbor High School.

The Newport-Mesa Unified School District and the Newport Beach police are investigating the photo and the party, in which there may have also been underage drinking.

Community members and other students are dismayed at the behavior depicted in the photo and how it reflects on the community.

"It's really sad," said local resident Stephanie Holland. "My grandmother's Jewish and it makes me sad and sick to my stomach that kids would do this."

The school district said it is still gathering information and issued a statement:

"We were recently made aware of social media postings involving some students who created inappropriate anti-Semitic symbols, and possible underage drinking. While these actions did not occur on any school campus or school function, we condemn all acts of anti-Semitism and hate in all their forms.

We continue to gather information regarding the conduct of these students and work with law enforcement.

We remain focused on educating students on all aspects of life's challenges and are committed to holding students accountable, educating them on the consequences of their choices, and the impact these actions have on our schools and community at large.

We are asking that parents please partner with us in helping students make good decisions, be respectful of others, and to always use good judgment."
    A group of High School students accused of a hate group party in Orange County, CA.

http://www.cnn.com/style/article/vog...ign-scli-intl/

Vogue Brazil style's director Donata Meirelles has stepped down after photography from her 50th birthday party and dinner were criticized for their colonial references to slavery.
    The furor began when an image, which has since been deleted, emerged on Instagram of Meirelles at her party in Salvador de Bahia, northeast Brazil, sitting on an ornate chair with black women in traditional dress flanking either side of her.
    Vogue Brazil director criticized over 'slavery' party
    Critics compared the clothes to uniforms worn by slaves and pointed out the chair looked similar to chairs used by slave masters.
    "The photo clearly and unfortunately refers to a Brazil of autocracy and slavery, where black people were serving and white people tended to," wrote Instagram user Roberto Sakiyama.
    "I don't see any praise to Afro-Brazilian culture."
    In a statement to CNN, Vogue Brazil confirmed that Meirelles had resigned and her position of style director "will be extinguished, since it has been designed specifically to her."
    It wrote that during the seven years as style director, Meirelles "has been extremely important" to shaping "the magazine and (consolidating) Vogue Brazil as a major global force."
    "With her unique sense of style, which captures the dynamism and joie de vivre of the Brazilian woman as nobody else does, Donata gave new energy to the magazine. We understand and respect her resignation and will be eternally grateful for all the passion and talent she has dedicated to every page she has edited," the statement said.
    Denial
    Television presenter Rita Batista explained the historical context behind why so many people were upset by the photography.
    Batista posted a shot from the party next to an image of two 19th-century slaves flanking their owner, with a caption explaining how in those days "the slave herself was a luxury object to be shown publicly."

Meirelles apologized amid the outcry, writing on Instagram that "it wasn't a theme party."
    The former Vogue Brazil style director denied using any images associated with slavery "but if it looked otherwise, I'm sorry," she said.
    The magazine also apologized in an Instagram post, where it announced the creation of a permanent forum in which activists and scholars will help define content and images against inequality.
    "Vogue Brazil apologizes profusely for what happened and hopes that the discussions generated have served as a learning opportunity," it wrote.

https://abc7.com/sports/la-youth-hoc...marks/5241354/

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Junior Kings youth hockey players who allegedly performed a Nazi salute and made anti-semitic remarks on video have received their punishment.

They must undergo eight hours of social media training, visit the Museum of Tolerance, perform eight hours of community service through the museum and meet with a rabbi, according to the Los Angeles Times.

After the incident, the organization suspended the 15 players and three coaches from the 14U team, pending the investigation.

The suspensions will continue until the Safesport investigation is complete, which could bring further disciplinary action. Safesport is a nonprofit committed to ending abuse in sports.

Social media training, have never heard of it. Interesting......

https://www.9news.com/article/news/c...e-67637e0cec80

DENVER — A jury convicted a man of two counts of bias-motivated crimes after he grabbed a man from behind and repeatedly kicked him in the head, Denver prosecutors said in a release on Friday.

Ryan Austin Lee, 43 has a history of racial intimidation, prosecutors said. He was also found guilty of two counts of assault in the third degree.

While on a deferred judgment from a 2017 case, Lee assaulted two people in March 2018, according to prosecutors.

The victims were in a vehicle in front of a home on West Mosier Place when Lee approached the vehicle, reached through a window and punched the passenger in the face, according to a probable cause statement from Denver Police.

The driver and passenger got out of the vehicle and walked toward the home, and, as they did, Lee grabbed the passenger by the back of his collar, threw him to the ground and repeatedly kicked him in the head, the statement says. During the attack, Lee yelled racial slurs and "get back to Mexico".

The victim said he used his right arm to protect his head and responding officers noted that his arm was swollen and bruised. The officer also noted that the victim, "appeared to be in fear of his life" and stated that Lee had previously threatened him with "boards and hammers."

One year earlier, in March 2017, Lee wielded a hammer while threatening and chasing a mixed-race couple and their seven-year-old son through a park, according to prosecutors.

According to the probable cause statement from Denver Police, officers responded to Garfield Lake Park at 1170 Lowell Blvd. for a report of threats. When officers arrived, the victim pointed out Lee and said he "came at him with a hammer," the report says.

The victim also stated that Lee threw something at his son and started screaming at his son using "racial words."

Lee went to his home, the report says, and returned to the park with a hammer and began chasing the family. They got into the truck and Lee hit their vehicle windshield with his fist and the hammer, the report says.

Because Lee was convicted in the 2018 case, the deferred judgment related to the 2017 case will be revoked and will result in a conviction of menacing.

Sentencing is set for May 3. Lee faces a maximum sentence of 15 years: three years for the first case and six years for each victim in the second case.

Thread Information