Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Geraldine Anita Largay's (66) remains were found two years after she went missing while hiking the Appalachian Trail

Head injury, broken bones etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Head injury, broken bones etc.
    Exposure and lack of food from broken bones??

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Exposure and lack of food from broken bones??
    Oh I read it wrong as 'an accident'.

Skeletal remains doesn't mean there wasn't something left of her. Or else the lack of any injury was evidence.

Oh I read it wrong as 'an accident'.

Skeletal remains doesn't mean there wasn't something left of her. Or else the lack of any injury was evidence.
    Yeah true. I guess she may have even left a note or something saying that she was lost.

I don't know why it would be classified as an accident and not from natural causes if she died from exposure. I think the ME is just pulling stuff and I think that's wrong.

Skeletal remains don't have any soft tissue left.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I took her cause of death to be lack of food and exposure, but the police labeled it an accident, meaning they don't think somebody killed her. That might mean she fell and broke a hip, leg, back, etc.. and wasn't able to save herself. Something happened to her physically to cause her to just lay there and die from exposure/lack of food.

If you die from exposure, would that ever be considered natural causes? I would think that would always be classified as an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I don't know why it would be classified as an accident and not from natural causes if she died from exposure. I think the ME is just pulling stuff and I think that's wrong.

Skeletal remains don't have any soft tissue left.
    I believe death from exposure is considered the result of an accident, not natural death.

Interesting...I never knew that.

I can't imagine that her death with quick or painless. Berm-you brought up a good point about her possibly breaking a bone and being physically unable to leave that area. That is really sad.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This is so very sad.

Huh, that actually makes it more confusing for me. So she was really close by where she was supposed to be, but lost, but somehow died from hunger and thirst next to water, which takes more than enough time for her to have figured out where she was?

If she was in the tent...in a sleeping bag, how do they know she starved to death and did not have a stroke or heart attack?

Originally posted by animosity:

Hmu next time, we'll have some soapy gins and then draw each other naked. Until we get kicked out.

I think, just like the two girls in Panama, they are going with the course of least resistance. It's very possible that something medical could have happened, but in the end they KNOW that death will occur without food and water and there wasn't an unlimited source...so they just go with that for COD.

I bet she died of a heart attack or something in her sleep. A super outdoorsy person who has hiked hundreds of miles doesn't just zip herself up in her tent and die when she's that close to a water source and only a little lost. I bet she stopped and set up camp for the night and died in her sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by becoming View Post
    I bet she died of a heart attack or something in her sleep. A super outdoorsy person who has hiked hundreds of miles doesn't just zip herself up in her tent and die when she's that close to a water source and only a little lost. I bet she stopped and set up camp for the night and died in her sleep.
    Yeah, that's what I would think happened.

Here's the official autopsy report.
    http://www.pressherald.com/2016/01/2...tent/document/

I know this still confuses some of the hikers over on the AT forum. She was considered very experienced and they don't understand how she could venture away from the safe zones. I think it's very possible she could have experienced some type of medical issue during the hike, became confused, got lost, set up her tent to regroup later, but died in her sleep from the previous medical condition. No organs left for the medical examiner to determine exactly what medical issue she had.

I don't think she wandered off the trail confused unless it had something to do with a medical condition. She was in her right mind enough to build a sleeping platform and set up camp, then again that was probably second nature for her. Investigators don't mention that she had run out of provisions, although it is mentioned she was supposed to meet up with her husband and get more supplies; perhaps she did run low and the campsite scene reflects that. Her time of death can not be pinpointed exactly so perhaps she did wander about for a few days and succumbed due to lack of nutrients. If she had an undiagnosed diabetic condition for example, lack of food for even just a couple of days could be deadly. As for her not leaving the trail...well she seemed like a tough old lady with a mind of her own and maybe she went of and did her own thing. She impresses me. I for one would never hike off alone and sleep in a tent in the woods by myself. Especially after reading this forum and threads like the 2 missing girls in Panama. Nooooo thank you.

Originally posted by animosity:

Hmu next time, we'll have some soapy gins and then draw each other naked. Until we get kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Here's the official autopsy report.
    http://www.pressherald.com/2016/01/2...tent/document/

I know this still confuses some of the hikers over on the AT forum. She was considered very experienced and they don't understand how she could venture away from the safe zones. I think it's very possible she could have experienced some type of medical issue during the hike, became confused, got lost, set up her tent to regroup later, but died in her sleep from the previous medical condition. No organs left for the medical examiner to determine exactly what medical issue she had.
    I think this makes the most sense to me.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

I wonder if suicide is a possibility. Head out to the place you love best. OD and spend eternity there.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by DrMichaelBaden View Post
    I don't think she wandered off the trail confused unless it had something to do with a medical condition. She was in her right mind enough to build a sleeping platform and set up camp, then again that was probably second nature for her. Investigators don't mention that she had run out of provisions, although it is mentioned she was supposed to meet up with her husband and get more supplies; perhaps she did run low and the campsite scene reflects that. Her time of death can not be pinpointed exactly so perhaps she did wander about for a few days and succumbed due to lack of nutrients. If she had an undiagnosed diabetic condition for example, lack of food for even just a couple of days could be deadly. As for her not leaving the trail...well she seemed like a tough old lady with a mind of her own and maybe she went of and did her own thing. She impresses me. I for one would never hike off alone and sleep in a tent in the woods by myself. Especially after reading this forum and threads like the 2 missing girls in Panama. Nooooo thank you.
    Even if you are experienced, I wouldn't recommend anyone hike by themselves. There are so many things that happen outside of your control.

I agree with the possibility of diabetes, but it could have been as simple as her being dehydrated or having a bladder infection that make her confused and disoriented. It makes me wonder if she would still be alive today if she had chosen to camp with a buddy.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I wonder if suicide is a possibility. Head out to the place you love best. OD and spend eternity there.
    Also a possibility. It may be why she opted to go alone. Strange that there's no note though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I don't think suicide. She is at the age where shit goes wrong unexpectedly. She had plans to meet up with the hubby for supplies. I don't think she was lost and she probably just died in her sleep. Stroked out or heart attack.

I mean, without a note, but had a full life and a hobby she loved? She would have said goodbye somehow. Unless they find that she did some sudden switching money around and finalizing wills, I would bet her body just fritzed on her.
    Last edited by animosity; 01-31-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I don't think suicide either. Most likely, chest pains or dizziness caused by some unknown condition.

I wish I was brave enough to hike the AT. I loved the doc that Netflix had on it.

I'm not sold on suicide, but if I were going to kill myself, I do it so it looked natural if possible, leaving no note. (most suicides don't, you know) I wouldn't want people to feel bad because the didn't stop me. Just slip quietly away..
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I'm not sold on suicide, but if I were going to kill myself, I do it so it looked natural if possible, leaving no note. (most suicides don't, you know) I wouldn't want people to feel bad because the didn't stop me. Just slip quietly away..
    Aw, what a sweetheart.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Aw, what a sweetheart.
    Yeah. I'm thoughtful that way...

Thread Information