Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Geraldine Anita Largay's (66) remains were found two years after she went missing while hiking the Appalachian Trail

Geraldine Anita Largay's (66) remains were found two years after she went missing while hiking the Appalachian Trail

http://www.mpbn.net/Home/tabid/36/ct...6/Default.aspx

Maine Authorities Search for Missing Tenn. Woman
    Authorities say 66-year-old Geraldine Anita Largay of Brentwood, Tenn., was supposed to meet her husband Monday in Wyman Township in western Maine, but never showed up.

Geraldine is on the left in the photo:

SANDY RIVER PLANTATION, Maine (AP) _ Maine authorities are continuing their search for a Tennessee woman who went missing while hiking the Appalachian Trail.

A spokesman for the Maine Warden Service says 66-year-old Geraldine Anita Largay of Brentwood, Tenn., was supposed to meet her husband Monday in Wyman Township in western Maine, but never showed up.

Wardens learned that on Wednesday, an employee of a nearby motel received a call from a female hiker who said she had spent Tuesday night with Largay in a lean-to on the trail.

She did not leave a name and wardens are asking that woman to come forward.

Authorities say they will continue their search for Largay on Friday.

The 5-foot-5, 115-pound Largay was last seen wearing a black pullover shirt, tan pants, a blue hat and a black-and-green backpack.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2016...alachian_Trail
    Last edited by Olivia; 05-25-2016 at 07:30 PM.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/sear...l?pagenum=full
    Searchers puzzled by why hiker vanished
    The case of Geraldine Largay, who disappeared on the Appalachian Trail last week, is an anomaly.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-17-2022 at 02:06 PM.

I don't mean to sound vulgar or harsh, but animals probably got to her body and there is nothing left. There are bears in that area, I sure as hell would not hike there alone.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I don't mean to sound vulgar or harsh, but animals probably got to her body and there is nothing left. There are bears in that area, I sure as hell would not hike there alone.
    I totally think she is dead too! From what I have heard though (had a friend who was going to hike the length of the trail) it is quite populated, so I am just curious as to how no one could have seen something. I am inclined to think someone offed her as opposed to her just taking a fall and then dying somewhere. I think if the latter happened they would have found her body by now.

I wouldn't hike alone either, but I have to admire her spunk in doing it...especially at her age. That's part of what keeps drawing me back to this story and hoping they find her.

From the updates, it says they have scaled back the search.

Aug. 4 UPDATE: At the conclusion of today’s search efforts, the Maine Warden Service issued a statement that no new evidence or information has been found as to missing Appalachian Trail hiker Geraldine Largay's location. Therefore, the search will be extensively scaled back.
    http://www.sjvalley-times.com/view/f...homesecondleft

Here is a pretty interesting facebook page. It is Maine's W&F and they post updates on all the missing on the trail.
    https://www.facebook.com/mainefishwi...51737226148609

From everything I've read, it seems she was a very experienced hiker. I would think that's true for anybody that hikes the AT. The AT can be dangerous.

I hope this lady is OK but after this much time it's not looking good. The AT is not as safe as people would like to think...there were double murders along the AT in 1981 and 1991, plus this one in 2011:

The hiker found murdered along the Appalachian Trial in Amherst County in June 2011 died of asphyxiation. That's according to investigators in the case, who have also revealed that 30-year-old Scott Lilly's body was buried after he was killed. FBI Agent Steven Duenas says they are very interested in talking to anyone that had come across any of Lilly's stuff, including a pair of brown and orange Ozark Trail hiking shoes. Officials announced a $10,000 reward for information about Lilly's death.
    of course, the AT is over 2,000 miles long so numbers-wise it's still pretty safe. Hiking alone is NOT recommended though.

Every year there are people who hike the entire length of the AT, from GA to Maine, like this lady was trying to do. They're called thru-hikers. Why anyone would want to do this is beyond me. Sure there are parts that are gorgeous, with incredible views, but a lot of it is slogging thru the woods for days on end...rain or shine. And it can rain for days. Imagine going to sleep damp (on the ground!) and waking up damp every day for a few days. UGHHH.

I live right by the AT and have hiked several sections, and it's always entertaining running into thru-hikers. They're pretty easy to spot, bedraggled but determined, (and, um...fragrant) and interesting to chat with. Colorful.

There are old cabins scattered along the trail and each one has a guestbook for passersby to sign and record their observations. That's where I got the rain stories from, comments like "does it ever stop raining here" and "I never knew it was possible to be so wet for so long."
    Last edited by *crickets*; 10-09-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    I hope this lady is OK but after this much time it's not looking good. The AT is not as safe as people would like to think...there were double murders along the AT in 1981 and 1991, plus this one in 2011:

of course, the AT is over 2,000 miles long so numbers-wise it's still pretty safe. Hiking alone is NOT recommended though.

Every year there are people who hike the entire length of the AT, from GA to Maine, like this lady was trying to do. They're called through-hikers. Why anyone would want to do this is beyond me. Sure there are parts that are gorgeous, with incredible views, but a lot of it is slogging thru the woods for days on end...rain or shine. And it can rain for days. Imagine going to sleep damp (on the ground!) and waking up damp for a few days. UGHHH.

I live right by the AT and have hiked several sections, and it's always entertaining running into the through-hikers. They're pretty easy to spot, bedraggled but determined, (and, um...fragrant) and interesting to chat with. Colorful characters. There are old cabins scattered along the trail and each one has a guestbook for passersby to sign and record their observations. That's where I got the rain stories from, comments like "does it ever stop raining here" and "I never knew it was possible to be so wet for so long."

IDK. In some strange way, I've always wanted to do the AT. The whole thing.

I wouldn't do it alone, tho. There is a great documentary on Netflix about hiking the AT.

Berm - what the name of that flick? I'd love to see it.

The AT definitely has a certain allure to it. I would be beside myself to hike just a portion of it, let alone the whole thing. This story is so interesting to me because she was doing it alone but her husband was so supportive of her and meeting her at different spots. That's cool. Sad that she is probably dead, though.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    IDK. In some strange way, I've always wanted to do the AT. The whole thing.

I wouldn't do it alone, tho. There is a great documentary on Netflix about hiking the AT.
    My wife hiked many miles of the before we started dating. I always worried about the safety of shit like that though. She used to be big into the whole camping/hiking thing, a real outdoorsy kinda girl. That was something we never did together though, for one reason or another. Poor Mrs. Largay. I hope she is located safe, and soon.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

My boyfriend's dad disappeared on the Pacific Crest trail. Presumed dead. Some people want to go out that way.

My boyfriend's dad disappeared on the Pacific Crest trail. Presumed dead. Some people want to go out that way.
    Ack!! How long ago was that, bowie?

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Ack!! How long ago was that, bowie?
    I think about ten years ago. He'd been going on these 'explorations' for a while and a ranger would find him and bring him back, and then one day, they didn't find him.

Interesting, Bowie. Why did he always have to be "found and brought back."

Quote Originally Posted by Elliss View Post
    My thinking is that he didn't want to be found, but the rangers had to do their job and bring him back. Or something like that.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliss View Post
    I don't think he cared to be found. He thought he could live off the land or something. We don't talk about it much as it's obviously a sensitive and emotional topic but there was a lot of mental illness involved.

Wow. Yeah, I can see why his family wouldn't want to discuss it. That's intense.

It's not looking too good for this lady.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...aine/74052914/

This case makes me super sad.

Remains of hiker, missing 2 years, found in Maine
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-17-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    I had a feeling she wouldn't be found alive. Still sad though. :(

Interesting and LONG article about this case - http://thebollard.com/2015/06/30/m-i-a-on-the-a-t/

According to maps provided by the Maine Warden Service, three cadaver dog teams came within about a hundred yards of the site where the remains were found. One team passed near the site on Aug. 8, 2013, while the other two teams passed near the site in 2014.

“We like to run grid searches [by people] behind canines, but because of the terrain, and because we didn’t have enough trained, physically fit people, we couldn’t do that a lot for this area,” Adam said.

The remains were located on a slope about 3,500 feet east of the easterly shore of Redington Pond, about 100 yards inside the boundary of a 12,500-acre Navy range located in Redington Township. The land is used by the U.S. Navy’s Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape School, instructors of which aided in the initial searches for Largay in 2013.

The contractor reported his findings to the Navy, which subsequently alerted the Maine Warden Service. Maine game wardens, state police detectives, NCIS investigators and representative from the medical examiner’s office hiked to the scene of the remains Thursday morning.

‘It’s worse if you go off trail’

The body was found in a mature wooded area, according to the Maine Warden Service, with a lot of mid-level brush and a thick canopy.

AT experts say it’s a challenging area.

“The trail goes over some very steep terrain,” said David Field of Hampden, who has been maintaining that section of the AT for the past 58 years as a volunteer of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club. “But it’s worse if you go off trail.”

“On the east side, it’s almost impossible to walk because you’re talking 100-foot cliffs, boulder fields and caves,” Field said.

It’s there, to the northeast of Poplar Ridge, where the remains were found.
    http://bangordailynews.com/2015/10/1...western-maine/

My wife hiked sections of the AT the year before we met. She's always been that outdoorsy type. She only hiked about 150 miles of it, but that's a fucking huge amount to me.

I'm so glad they found her remains and that they can give her family closure. Too many families never get that.

A 66-year-old hiker who was found dead two years after she went missing on the Appalachian Trail took a wrong turn before dying of exposure and a lack of food, her autopsy has revealed.
    Geraldine Largay from Brentwood, Tennessee, vanished on the mountainous path in Maine on July 23, 2013, before she was scheduled to meet up with her husband and pick up supplies.
    Her skeletal remains were discovered by the Maine Warden Service on October 16 on property owned by the U.S. Navy in Redington, three miles away from where she was last seen.
    The state has since confirmed her identity and concluded that her death was an accident.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3qZSF3UE1
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    A 66-year-old hiker who was found dead two years after she went missing on the Appalachian Trail took a wrong turn before dying of exposure and a lack of food, her autopsy has revealed.
    Geraldine Largay from Brentwood, Tennessee, vanished on the mountainous path in Maine on July 23, 2013, before she was scheduled to meet up with her husband and pick up supplies.
    Her skeletal remains were discovered by the Maine Warden Service on October 16 on property owned by the U.S. Navy in Redington, three miles away from where she was last seen.
    The state has since confirmed her identity and concluded that her death was an accident.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3qZSF3UE1
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Ugh her body was skeletanized. How could they come to that conclusion from the autopsy?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Ugh her body was skeletanized. How could they come to that conclusion from the autopsy?
    I wondered that too!

Thread Information