Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Rosa Ayala-Goana (52) died after falling from the Texas Giant roller coaster

dimedropper
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The woman who suffered a fatal fall from a Texas roller coaster last week is the latest death associated with an amusement ride, but researchers say no one really knows how many people are hurt or killed on such attractions every year.

Rosy Ayala-Goana died Friday night when she fell from the Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas, which bills the 14-story, 4,900-foot ride as the world?s steepest wooden roller coaster.

Such deaths typically attract high-profile media coverage, but outside of news headlines, there?s way to track deaths ? or injuries, said Dr. Gary A. Smith, director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children?s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.

?We don?t have a really good system for catching all of these,? said Smith, who published a study this year tracking kids younger than 18 who are hurt on roller coasters, carnivals and kiddie rides. ?Many of these go unmonitored and unaddressed.?

About 4,400 children a year are hurt on such rides; that?s up to 20 kids a day in the peak season between May and September, Smith found. No similar study has been conducted to assess adult amusement park injuries, mostly because the research required a line-by-line review of data from U.S. emergency department reports.

?If we started looking, we would find similar numbers,? Smith said.

Smith?s data didn?t include amusement ride deaths, either, because the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System only includes injuries. There 52 deaths tied to amusement rides logged between 1990 and 2004, according to a 2005 report by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

But the agency no longer tracks the data, so it?s up to websites like RideAccidents.com to post headlines detailing deaths and injuries reported in the media.

The problem, of course, is that without data on the frequency, site and cause of injuries and deaths, there?s no way to prevent them, Smith said. Lack of monitoring is exacerbated because there?s no state or federal agency responsible for enforcing amusement park safety. CPSC has no jurisdiction over so-called ?fixed-site? amusement parks, the large theme parks. The agency only has authority over mobile amusement rides that travel from community to community.

In addition, 17 states have no agency responsible for inspecting amusement rides. Six Flags Over Texas will lead its own investigation into Ayala-Goana?s death in the absence of an outside authority.

Officials with the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions or IAAPA, note that about 297 million people, both adults and children, safely rode 1.7 billion rides in the U.S. in 2011. The chance of being seriously injured on a ride at a fixed-site park in the U.S. is about 1 in 24 million.

But Smith said that basic tracking should be a no-brainer in an industry that attracts so many with the lure of thrills. He?d like the CPSC to change the way amusement injuries are coded so that they categorize ride injuries separately from other park injuries so that

?We should have a better way to monitor these types of injuries so when we see a pattern, we can address them,? he said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/how-ma...ows-6C10707436
    the ones that travel are the worst and the ones in Mexico ...no way

Quote Originally Posted by M Joy View Post
    Thanks NQ for changing the title!

ETA: rideaccidents.com makes me never want to get on an amusement park ride again
    Yeah. I scanned the first few.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Poor Rosa. Surely the park won't pin this on her, right? They let her on, regardless of her weight. Fuck.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be the ride operator on that one. Probably 16 or something. It's awful for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Quote Originally Posted by M Joy View Post
    Thanks NQ for changing the title!

ETA: rideaccidents.com makes me never want to get on an amusement park ride again
    My Dad hated fair time because of the rides. He was a mechanic by trade and did not trust those rides considering they're taken down and put back up so often. According to him the carnies were a bunch of clueless felons that wouldn't know if a bolt was missing. Jeez, I miss that man!

I can't imagine the fear Rosa must have endured the last few minutes of her life. Awful :(

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trahnse View Post
    My Dad hated fair time because of the rides. He was a mechanic by trade and did not trust those rides considering they're taken down and put back up so often. According to him the carnies were a bunch of clueless felons that wouldn't know if a bolt was missing. Jeez, I miss that man!

I can't imagine the fear Rosa must have endured the last few seconds of her life. Awful :(
    Fixed?

And I feel the exact same as your father, and I don't even know about those things.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trahnse View Post

I can't imagine the fear Rosa must have endured the last few minutes of her life. Awful :(
    My dad was like that too and I still refuse to ride carnival/ fair rides. Big amusement parks though - I'm all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    My dad was like that too and I still refuse to ride carnival/ fair rides. Big amusement parks though - I'm all over that.
    Yeah, I would much rather get on a ride in a amusement park than a carnival ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    I've looked, not even a spectator video. Well, at least that would have been leaked.
    They'll probably turn up. The fatal beaver attack took a while, but they started to appear.

Fatal beaver attack?

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

This woman endured one of my worst fears! My dad designs coasters and no matter how safe he says they are I will never, ever, ever get on one!! Nor a log ride for that matter!!
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; They listen with the intent to reply." ~ anonymous
    "Keep calm and sing Soft Kitty"
    "it is what it is!"

Snipped an accidental quote

& a question for anyone hearing the media reports, I'm not getting the tv/radio stuff some of you are getting, but did the park spokespeople actually imply/say she wasn't conscious when she fell? Because the very first witness quoted back on pg 1seemed to be saying she screamed? Or was that mis-reported/discredited?

& Batz, Ron & everyone else who says no way, I'm with you on the subject of rides. My youngest kid agrees & like her mum, could get sick on the cup & saucer, the older 2 seem to be like the rest of the world & will ride anything fast (with a gleam in their eyes). It makes for high drama when the carnival comes to town for their beach holiday every summer.

I think this is THE ride - so you can see how hi-tech our carnival is. They've had a log ride & preschooler rollercoaster the last few years. My middle child is usually front row centre of the log, smiling like a demon & looking positively psychotic with excitement . I think they have a good safety record, but I still don't like it. Not one bit.

Last edited by blighted star; 07-22-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: fixed accidental quote

Uggh sorry guys. Posting is a MESS for me just now. I keep getting thrown out & it seems to decide to post everytime it happens.

Anyway, fatal beaver attack, yes. It should be in the last few pgs of the mixed topic weird & bizarre 2 thread (I think, or see if it's still in my "view posts" pages)
    Or click this link & scroll down til you hit Belarus beaver (be sure & watch the 2nd one too)

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...t=#post3465611
    Last edited by blighted star; 07-22-2013 at 08:15 PM.

I had the restaint come loose on a carnival ride once when I was a kid.
    This thing:

Don't remember much of it, just my brother pulling the bar back against us and telling me to hold on to the cart. I think I remember we had to ride out the whole thing because they didn't notice but I'm not sure about that. It was scary though.

I hope for Rosa's sake that everything happenend so fast that she didn't really have time to think.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

i think y'all are overreacting about the roller coasters. you're much more likely to die in a car accident one of the million times you drive down the street to your local grocery than you are dying in a roller coaster accident during one a handful of times you ride..
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

i think y'all are overreacting about the roller coasters. you're much more likely to die in a car accident one of the million times you drive down the street to your local grocery than you are dying in a roller coaster accident during one a handful of times you ride..
    This is true but it does not do anything to lessen my fear of flying out of a roller coaster! Which at one time I might have called an irrational fear, today in this moment, not so much.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; They listen with the intent to reply." ~ anonymous
    "it is what it is!"

It's just freaky that the one nightmare that I've carried with me all my life, actually happened to a person. It just further solidifies a deep rooted fear.

I'm not a huge fan of anything totally out of the norm. Sky diving? Fuck that. That's like asking to die in my mind. I wasn't born with wings, I wasn't made to fly.

Getting strapped in a tin can with a flimsy bar (old school roller coasters), and flying down a hill on a narrow metal track at 80 miles an hour? I'm straight.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    It's just freaky that the one nightmare that I've carried with me all my life, actually happened to a person. It just further solidifies a deep rooted fear.

I'm not a huge fan of anything totally out of the norm. Sky diving? Fuck that. That's like asking to die in my mind. I wasn't born with wings, I wasn't made to fly.

Getting strapped in a tin can with a flimsy bar (old school roller coasters), and flying down a hill on a narrow metal track at 80 miles an hour? I'm straight.
    I don't blame you. I can't believe I rode all the rides I've ridden at 6 Flags!

i have a terrifying fear that i'm going to be decapitated in a car accident. it's my worst nightmare. it will happen when something unsecured flies off the back of a truck on a freeway or something. i'm always side-eyeing loads of shit as i pass. that is why i like taking buses... there's a greater chance it will happen to someone else if i'm in a big group.

i feel that way about roller coasters. chances are it's going to happen to one of the other 20 people on the ride with me!

i have a terrifying fear that i'm going to be decapitated in a car accident. it's my worst nightmare. it will happen when something unsecured flies off the back of a truck on a freeway or something. i'm always side-eyeing loads of shit as i pass. that is why i like taking buses... there's a greater chance it will happen to someone else if i'm in a big group.

i feel that way about roller coasters. chances are it's going to happen to one of the other 20 people on the ride with me!

I'm with you on that fear as well. I've been in a few choice moments on the road where I thanked my lucky stars that I made it out unscathed.. I've had to dodge falling lumber from a hauler, I've hit ice patches next to semi trucks, dodged accidents that happened in front of me... you name it. I thank every day I make it home safe and do not take driving for granted. I like it more though, because I'm in control.

I feel like if something were to happen on a rollercoaster, it would happen to everyone. I also have a fear of being puked on, and I feel like that would happen eventually on one of those.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

I'm with you on that fear as well. I've been in a few choice moments on the road where I thanked my lucky stars that I made it out unscathed.. I've had to dodge falling lumber from a hauler, I've hit ice patches next to semi trucks, dodged accidents that happened in front of me... you name it. I thank every day I make it home safe and do not take driving for granted. I like it more though, because I'm in control.

I feel like if something were to happen on a rollercoaster, it would happen to everyone. I also have a fear of being puked on, and I feel like that would happen eventually on one of those.
    In this particular case though it did not happen to everyone!
    "it is what it is!"

Quote Originally Posted by ImBatman! View Post
    In this particular case though it did not happen to everyone!
    I know. I just feel that way.

i cannot remember ever hearing of a coaster car or train completely coming off the tracks and killing a bunch of people. i've heard of fabios being hit in the face with birds, people falling out, feet cut off, decapitations (i think - did that happen on space mountain?), but always individual deaths.

fear of being puked on is more plausible and imo more reasonable.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    omg, totally scared of being puked on.

I really think roller coasters are designed for "medium-size" people. If I wasn't one, I think I'd be terrified to ride them.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    I don't drive. And fuck rollercoasters.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    omg, totally scared of being puked on.

I really think roller coasters are designed for "medium-size" people. If I wasn't one, I think I'd be terrified to ride them.
    Because you know it's not gonna be the watery bile puke.

It's gonna be the hotdog/elephantear/cottoncandy/turkeyleg/mountaindewslushie puke.

You're welcome for the mental image.

Thread Information