Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death Penalty in action - issues updates and the ongoing debate

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    It's like when anti-death penalty people suggest airing executions to disturb people, and I'm like what are you smoking? People eat that shit up. People would want to participate. It would be the new American Idol. They'd run out of people to kill and start holding a prison lottery. Executions are one of the oldest forms of public entertainment in history.

There's a huge difference between a good old hanging and what is done in the middle east. In the middle east, people are executed and mutilated on television for political and religious crimes, and it's to instill fear and encourage subservience.
    jesus! who's suggesting this? has peta been dabbling in the death penalty debate lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    jesus! who's suggesting this? has peta been dabbling in the death penalty debate lately?
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93372

PETA is super in support of the death penalty, given they think cats should be euthanized rather than kept as pets.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    The government is not supposed to be vengeance machine, and there are way too many people who are convicted of crimes they didn't commit, or people who were too mentally impaired to understand the crime they committed, and race still plays a massive factor in who gets the death penalty, as just the start of what is wrong with your 'starving them' theory.
    We covered this already. Yes, it is incredibly wrong that an innocent may be put to death for a crime they didn't commit. There's no justification in that, ever. Nor did I ever make the argument that there was. And you may see the DP as a vengeance machine, but I prefer to think of it as a mechanism by which we purge the human race of fucking assholes who have worn out their welcome in it. You don't get to commit horrible acts of inhumanity toward others and remain freely alive to possibly do it again.
    And your comment about race is right on, too. We live in a (like it or not) white society where we have white judges, white prosecutors, white victims and white juries. Anything else doesn't seem to matter. And if you're a person of color and have the audacity to even threaten a honkey , you get the chair. I'm not justifying it, bowie, I'm saying that for those who are truly guilty, they deserve every bit of goddamn suffering that the DP brings. They earned that.

And we don't have a subservient society as they do in the Middle East. Unless the Republitards get control, that is. We don't live in Ancient Rome, where prisoners were killed for sport regardless of their crimes. If we lived in a perfect world, people would respect others and there'd be no need for the DP. But we don't. We live in a world of fucked up ignorant assholes who would rape and kill their neighbor just to steal her son's X Box 360. Sorry, some people deserve to suffer.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

I don't see the death penalty as a vengeance machine, I see starving someone to death intentionally as a sadistic act of vengeance.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    You're a sick, murdering sociopath. So we're going to get a sick, murdering sociopath to murder you so everyone can see how wrong murder is.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

'I'm going home to be with Jesus': Last words of killer who raped and murdered 15-year-old as he becomes the first US execution since botched lethal injection
    Georgia inmate Marcus Wellons the first execution since April
    His execution was followed by that of double murderer John Winfield
    John Ruthell Henry to be the third despite claims he is mentally ill
    All executions were stopped for seven weeks after Oklahoma bungled the execution of Clayton Lockett

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, which witnessed the execution, said Mr Wellons apologized for the 1989 rape and murder of his 15-year-old neighbor India Roberts in suburban Atlanta.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz34z3RKHxN
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Only five minutes after Wellons was pronounced dead, Missouri authorities commenced the lethal injection of John E. Winfield at 12.01am. He was pronounced dead at 12.10am.
    Winfield, 46, was put to death for shooting three St. Louis County women in the head in 1996, killing two.
    According to the Death Penalty Info Twitter feed, Winfield took four or five deep breaths as the drug was injected, puffed his cheeks twice, and then fell silent.

Another convicted killer, John Ruthell Henry, is scheduled to die later Wednesday in Florida.

The state claims anyone with an IQ of at least 70 is not mentally disabled; testing has shown Henry's IQ at 78, though his lawyers say it should be re-evaluated.
    Henry stabbed his estranged wife, Suzanne Henry, to death a few days before Christmas in 1985. Hours later, he killed her 5-year-old son from a previous relationship.

i guess double features are the way to go now-a-days!

i guess double features are the way to go now-a-days!

Actually, it was a triple hitter. All 3 were successful.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-24-hours.html

I was just wondering the other day if this "stall" would turn out to be the beginning of the end for the DP in the United States.
    Never underestimate the power of zealots with an agenda...
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/23/ju...n-controversy/

Joseph Wood died nearly two hours after the start of his execution Wednesday, his attorney said, saying the Arizona inmate struggled to breathe for much of that time.
    "It took Joseph Wood two hours to die, and he gasped and struggled to breathe for about an hour and 40 minutes. We will renew our efforts to get information about the manufacturer of drugs as well as how Arizona came up with the experimental formula of drugs it used today," attorney Dale Baich said in a statement.

"Arizona appears to have joined several other states who have been responsible for an entirely preventable horror -- a bungled execution."
    Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer directed the Department of Corrections to review the process, saying she was concerned by the length of time it took to carry out the execution.

Inmate Joseph Wood has been executed in Arizona.
    Lethal Injection: The process
    "One thing is certain, however, inmate Wood died in a lawful manner and by eyewitness and medical accounts he did not suffer. This is in stark comparison to the gruesome, vicious suffering that he inflicted on his two victims -- and the lifetime of suffering he has caused their family," she said.
    Wood was convicted of murder and assault in the 1989 deaths of his estranged girlfriend and her father.
    "I don't believe he was gasping for air; I don't believe he was suffering. It sounded to me like was snoring," said Jeanne Brown, a relative of Wood's victims.
    "You don't know what excruciating is. What's excruciating is seeing your dad laying there in a pool of blood, seeing you sister laying there in a pool of blood. This man deserved it. And I shouldn't really call him a man," she said.
    The execution procedure began at 1:52 p.m. (4:52 p.m. ET) and concluded, with Wood's being pronounced dead, at 3:49 p.m. (6:49 p.m. ET).
    Troy Hayden, a media witness from KSAZ, told reporters the execution was difficult to watch. He likened Wood's breathing to a "fish gulping for air."
    "It was tough for everybody in that room," he said.
    Michael Kiefer, a reporter for The Arizona Republic, has witnessed five executions, including Wood's.
    "Usually it takes about 10 minutes, the person goes to sleep. This was not that," he told reporters afterward. "It started off looking as if it was going alright but then obviously something didn't go right. It took two hours."
    Kiefer described the sound Wood made as a "deep, snoring, sucking air sound."
    Wood's attorneys had filed an emergency motion for a stay after his execution began, saying then that Wood had been "gasping and snorting for more than an hour."
    The motion read: "He is still alive. This execution has violated Mr. Wood's Eighth Amendment right to be executed in the absence of cruel and unusual punishment. We respectfully request that this Court stop the execution and require that the Department of Corrections use the lifesaving provisions required in its protocol."

Inmate objected to drugs
    Earlier, the Arizona Supreme Court lifted its brief stay of the murderer's execution.
    Wood was first set to be executed at 10 a.m. local time (1 p.m. ET), though it was temporarily halted when the court said it would consider his request for the justices to review his claims.
    The court lifted the stay shortly after that, saying without explanation that it considered the request but decided not to review Wood's case.
    Wood was the latest American death row inmate to argue that an anesthetic recently introduced in some states' execution protocols could fail to sufficiently knock out the inmate ahead of the lethal drugs, subjecting the person to an agonizing death.
    Opinion: 5 ways to improve the U.S. death penalty
    Wood claimed among other things that the state was going to use an "experimental" drug protocol of midazolam and hydromorphone.
    In documents filed with the state Supreme Court, he contended the use of the anesthetic midazolam was problematic in recent U.S. executions and that it would violate the Constitution's guarantee against cruel and unusual punishment.

The Kansas Supreme Court has overturned the death sentences of two brothers convicted of killing four friends who were robbed and forced to engage in sex acts before being shot to death in a Wichita field.

Jonathan and Reginald Carr sentenced to death in 2002 for the 'Wichita Massacre'
    Kidnapped three men and two women in home invasion that included rape and sexual humiliation in 2000
    All five were shot in the head but one survived
    Death sentences now overturned because the men should have been tried separately, court said
    Both will now be re-sentenced

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz38ZOc9kMm
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    A couple of "Good Christian Women" on fb were posting how they didn't feel bad for Joseph Wood and he "got what he deserved". I posted basically the same thing I've said on here. I'm on the fence with the DP, usually wavering towards pro. However, I see the faults in it and can't support it fully because I'm an intelligent person. I don't get any joy in hearing about someone suffering. One of them got her panties in a bunch and said she didn't feel joy about it either. Really? Could've fooled me.

Anyways. I wonder how they would feel about their fearless leaders basically saying that his execution was tantamount to torture.
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ture/13205085/

TUCSON — U.S. Sen. John McCain says the execution of an Arizona inmate that lasted two hours was torture.

The Republican who represents the conservative state told Politico that he supports capital punishment for certain crimes but felt Wednesday's execution of Joseph Rudolph Wood was a "bollocks-upped situation."

The execution brought new attention to the death penalty debate in the U.S. as opponents said it was proof that lethal injection is cruel and unusual punishment.

Arizona lawmakers, however, say the debate is not likely to have an impact on practices in the state.

It took Wood nearly two hours to die after he received a lethal injection with a combination of the sedative midazolam and the painkiller hydromorphone.

He spent more than 90 minutes gasping for air every five to 12 seconds before he finally stopped breathing.

Arizona has suspended executions while an investigation is conducted.

In the interview with Politico published Thursday, McCain said people responsible should be held accountable in the execution of Wood.

"The lethal injection needs to be an indeed lethal injection and not the bollocks-upped situation that just prevailed. That's torture," the senator said.

Calls by The Associated Press seeking comment from McCain were not immediately returned on Friday.

Wood's attorneys said the execution should have taken 10 minutes, and they called it a "horrifically botched execution."

Department of Corrections Director Charles Ryan has dismissed the contention that the execution was botched, calling it an "erroneous conclusion" and "pure conjecture."

Arizona House Speaker Andy Tobin, R-Paulden, said he supports a review of the Wood execution but it's not likely that state legislators will change their minds about the death penalty. Republicans control both chambers of the Arizona Legislature.

"Well I think they're not going to be receptive to abolish it, no, but if there's some methods that the Democrats want to offer that say, here's a better way to go about this, we will consider that. But I don't think there's a real chance that there's going to be an elimination of the death penalty," Tobin said.

Tobin is campaigning around the state in his bid for a U.S. Congress seat.

Still, Democrats hope the Wood execution will at least spark conversation in the Legislature.

"I think the Legislature is going to have to look at this and determine what steps to take," said DJ Quinlan, executive director of the Arizona Democratic Party. "It warrants a serious adult discussion that hopefully will remove politics."

Arizona Sen. Rick Murphy, R-Glendale, heads the judiciary committee and said he also does not think the Wood execution will change many minds about the death penalty.

But he said the state Legislature, which is not in session, may eventually have to consider the issue depending on what happens next at the Department of Corrections.

"I support the death penalty for crimes that rise to that level, but it must be carried out with all the due process that we cherish as Americans and it must be carried out as humanely as possible," Murphy said.

No other Arizona inmates are scheduled to be executed. The state can technically obtain death warrants for five others, meaning those inmates have exhausted their appeals and the next step is being assigned an execution date.

Wood and two of those inmates, Graham Henry and David Gulbrandson, filed a lawsuit against the state challenging its secrecy over the drug combination used in lethal injections. The lawsuit is pending.

The execution of Wood was the third to go awry this year in the country.

An Ohio inmate gasped in similar fashion for nearly 30 minutes in January. An Oklahoma inmate died of a heart attack in April, minutes after prison officials halted his execution because the drugs weren't being administered properly

In Oklahoma, the state appeals court agreed in May to a six-month stay of execution for a death row inmate while an investigation is conducted into the April 29 lethal injection of Clayton Lockett. The state has continued to schedule executions, and currently three are on the calendar later this year.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Funny how they fail to consider whether the deaths of the victims was "cruel and unusual". Because a death you caused isn't cruel enough...but since it doesn't affect the person who's doing the killing, it doesn't matter! Victims family and friends be damned! Life be damned!! Oh, sorry you're dead and I caused it but you know...I got a right to be an asshole!!

Fuck that shit. Society deserves better than to have these "potential rehabilitates" inhabiting prisons. I get that there are flaws in the system, but I can't in good conscience say that the death penalty is cruel and unusual. Now, if they started putting people on Death Row for stealing cars, or bubble gum, or jaywalking...sure. But for the shit that some of these inhuman bottom dwellers are guilty of? They need to be purged from the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Funny how they fail to consider whether the deaths of the victims was "cruel and unusual". Because a death you caused isn't cruel enough...but since it doesn't affect the person who's doing the killing, it doesn't matter! Victims family and friends be damned! Life be damned!! Oh, sorry you're dead and I caused it but you know...I got a right to be an asshole!!

Fuck that shit. Society deserves better than to have these "potential rehabilitates" inhabiting prisons. I get that there are flaws in the system, but I can't in good conscience say that the death penalty is cruel and unusual. Now, if they started putting people on Death Row for stealing cars, or bubble gum, or jaywalking...sure. But for the shit that some of these inhuman bottom dwellers are guilty of? They need to be purged from the human race.
    But Kevin. They put people on death row for having the wrong color skin, for committing their crime in the wrong state, or for being in the wrong place in the wrong time. http://www.innocenceproject.org/Cont...NA_testing.php Now granted. These aren't all dp cases of course, but many could have been... and how many innocent people who didn't get lucky enough to have advocates who were willing to fight for them have we killed? And how many cases are their where a wealthy defendant walks?

No. We as a society need to be better than this. Lock dangerous people up to keep society safe, but killing someone is always wrong, and torturing them to death is heinous.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    But Kevin. They put people on death row for having the wrong color skin, for committing their crime in the wrong state, or for being in the wrong place in the wrong time. http://www.innocenceproject.org/Cont...NA_testing.php Now granted. These aren't all dp cases of course, but many could have been... and how many innocent people who didn't get lucky enough to have advocates who were willing to fight for them have we killed? And how many cases are their where a wealthy defendant walks?

No. We as a society need to be better than this. Lock dangerous people up to keep society safe, but killing someone is always wrong, and torturing them to death is heinous.
    I get what you're saying, and as I stated before in this thread: I disagree with one person spending one hour in jail for something they're not guilty of, no matter their racial background. We live in a fucked up society that says white > black, rich > poor. But your argument has no bearing on my statement. Victims lose their RIGHT TO LIVE because of someone else's wanton act but the guilty still deserve the right to live?...sorry, I don't agree. Sure, we don't need to "lower ourselves" to their level and put them to death, but that's the way it is..and these people know it. They don't think it'll happen to them, so they think "yeah, imma do what i gotta do and ain't nobody gon stop me."

Yes, in a perfect world we'd only have the guilty on Death Row. But in a perfect world there'd be no need for Death Row at all, now...would there? And fyi, I've donated to the Innocence Project. I hate to think that people (and African Americans, disproportionately) are accused and convicted of crimes for no other reason than the fact that they aren't white, or rich, or connected.

Maybe as a society we do need to be better than this. Maybe when criminals realize that killing someone is wrong we can be that society. Until then...

"The lethal injection needs to be an indeed lethal injection and not the bollocks-upped situation that just prevailed. That's torture," the senator said.

is this even english? who says this.

also, right on puzz!

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    I get what you're saying, and as I stated before in this thread: I disagree with one person spending one hour in jail for something they're not guilty of, no matter their racial background. We live in a fucked up society that says white > black, rich > poor. But your argument has no bearing on my statement. Victims lose their RIGHT TO LIVE because of someone else's wanton act but the guilty still deserve the right to live?...sorry, I don't agree. Sure, we don't need to "lower ourselves" to their level and put them to death, but that's the way it is..and these people know it. They don't think it'll happen to them, so they think "yeah, imma do what i gotta do and ain't nobody gon stop me."

Yes, in a perfect world we'd only have the guilty on Death Row. But in a perfect world there'd be no need for Death Row at all, now...would there? And fyi, I've donated to the Innocence Project. I hate to think that people (and African Americans, disproportionately) are accused and convicted of crimes for no other reason than the fact that they aren't white, or rich, or connected.

Maybe as a society we do need to be better than this. Maybe when criminals realize that killing someone is wrong we can be that society. Until then...
    kevan... what puzz is saying is that there are innocent people on death row. these people are victims too. how is it any better to put these people to death than it is to put to death a young, mentally challenged black kid who shot and killed a convenience store owner?

should we start charging the executors of these innocent men with murder?

is this even english? who says this.

also, right on puzz!
    There's nothing wrong with what he said. Bollocksed-up just means shitty or fucked up, it's British slang.

an indeed lethal injection?

i know bollocksed up (or bollocks-upped?) is a british slang term. it's not really a term i'd expect senator mccain to use. anyways, you used it correctly... not sure if he did.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I agree that we aren't always right with who we put on death row. But in cases of undeniable proof of someone being responsible for a heinous crime I'm all for the death penalty. And I could give two shits about how "bollixed up" it is or how much they suffer. They didn't give their victims or how much they suffered a second thought. The only thing I'd change about it is I would execute them swiftly rather than decades after the crime.

There are cases where it's absolutely proven they did it. And when it's especially offensive? Yeah, get rid of the trash. Sorry, not sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I agree that we aren't always right with who we put on death row. But in cases of undeniable proof of someone being responsible for a heinous crime I'm all for the death penalty. And I could give two shits about how "bollixed up" it is or how much they suffer. They didn't give their victims or how much they suffered a second thought. The only thing I'd change about it is I would execute them swiftly rather than decades after the crime.

There are cases where it's absolutely proven they did it. And when it's especially offensive? Yeah, get rid of the trash.
    Sorry, not sorry.
    My point exactly. Thanks BB.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I might also add that the death penalty comes in handy in getting confessions. You take that off the table completely then how many families will never be able to bury their loved ones? It's a major bargaining chip in getting killers to lead authorities to where their victims are buried or getting a partner in crime to speak up. So there's that too.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I might also add that the death penalty comes in handy in getting confessions. You take that off the table completely then how many families will never be able to bury their loved ones? It's a major bargaining chip in getting killers to lead authorities to where their victims are buried or getting a partner in crime to speak up. So there's that too.
    This is the best argument I've heard for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    This is the best argument I've heard for it.
    Yeah let's talk about being absolutely sure and using the dp to coerce a conviction.
    There are many cases closed because someone confessed.

Just watched an Aphrodite Jones story last night...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixmoor_5 they had them dead to rights, had not one, not two but three confessions... all the result of cops more interested in closing the case than in finding the real killer.

The jury can be very sure, but unless you are convinced that none of the witnesses and no one from the pd or the prosecutors office are more interested in getting a conviction than in serving justice; can you REALLY be sure?
    http://www.innocenceproject.org/understand/

Some of you have more faith in the "system" than I do. And I'm a law and order type girl.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

But if someone is innocent, they can't lead you to a body or to remains.

Thread Information