Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MySpace Banned

MySpace Banned

This seems a bit extreme... I understand blocking it from the filters, but telling them they can't have them at all? Crazy parochial schools. ;-)

http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S...p;nav=menu44_2

MI school bans MySpace
    Updated: March 24, 2007 01:30 PM
    BLOOMFIELD HILLS -- Students at one Michigan High School must delete their MySpace accounts or find a new place to go to school.

St. Hugo of the hills Catholic School in Bloomfield Hills has banned students from having accounts with MySpace and similar personal sites.

The school is adopting the policy in order to protect its students, the principal said.

"I think it's a great start," said parent Kate Lynch, "there are so many things going on on the Internet and there is so much vulnerability for children."

Students who currently have an account must delete it if they want to continue going to the Catholic School.

shiki

Re: MySpace Banned

[quote author=pixelcat13 link=topic=5965.msg250068#msg250068 date=1174837009]
    This seems a bit extreme... I understand blocking it from the filters, but telling them they can't have them at all? Crazy parochial schools. ;-)

MI school bans MySpace
    BLOOMFIELD HILLS -- Students at one Michigan High School must delete their MySpace accounts or find a new place to go to school.

St. Hugo of the hills Catholic School in Bloomfield Hills has banned students from having accounts with MySpace and similar personal sites.

The school is adopting the policy in order to protect its students, the principal said.

"I think it's a great start," said parent Kate Lynch, "there are so many things going on on the Internet and there is so much vulnerability for children."

Students who currently have an account must delete it if they want to continue going to the Catholic School.
    [/quote]

this plan is asinine. how are they going to enforce this policy, anyone can open a myspace account with total anonymity if they want. You don't need a verified email, any email will do. They are not checking who you are. I would say something about how parents should stand up and not let schools infringe on our children's free speech and individuality, but im sure free speech and individuality are not high on your list when you send your child to catholic school. lame.

When I first started going to my school, a letter went to my parents telling them to ensure that I don't have a personal website like myspace etc.

How will they find out I have one anyway??
    Perhaps i spent too long hibernating?

[quote author=shiki link=topic=5965.msg250069#msg250069 date=1174837233]
    this plan is asinine. how are they going to enforce this policy, anyone can open a myspace account with total anonymity if they want. You don't need a verified email, any email will do. They are not checking who you are. I would say something about how parents should stand up and not let schools infringe on our children's free speech and individuality, but im sure free speech and individuality are not high on your list when you send your child to catholic school. lame.
    [/quote]

I'm sure these parents are HAPPY to have their kids' free speech and individuality infringed upon! That's what they're paying  for.  :-P  I figure that every kid at that school that didn't have a MS now will! Because yeah, the kids will get around it as kids always do!

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

It should be left up to the parents, not the school to decide.
    What if I want my son/daughter to have a MySpace page....who the fuck are they to tell me otherwise?
    Some people raise responsible, level-headed children (you wouldn't know it from a look at MDS)
    that can be part of social networking, and not end up in the trunk of some sex offenders car.  
    We just don't trust these kids at all, do we? :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Poofer link=topic=5965.msg250070#msg250070 date=1174837303]
    When I first started going to my school, a letter went to my parents telling them to ensure that I don't have a personal website like myspace etc.

[/quote]

I doubt they could, Poofer, unless you went on it at school and saved stuff onto the computer.

Just make sure you delete history if you've snuck on in school.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

I made my son a MySpace. He doesn't know the password to go on and is only on it with my supervision.

The only way to teach internet responsibility is to show your child what the internet is all about.  Denying access to something that all the kids are doing is just going to make the child rebel and then he/she will feel like they are breaking rules and will be okay with that.  Too many rules can raise a delinquent just the same as not enough rules.

[quote author=Tarren link=topic=5965.msg250095#msg250095 date=1174839074]
    I doubt they could, Poofer, unless you went on it at school and saved stuff onto the computer.

Just make sure you delete history if you've snuck on in school.
    [/quote]

I'm more likely to sneak on mds at school...
    Myspace is only fun when all my friends have logged on too
    Perhaps i spent too long hibernating?

[quote author=FemmeFatality link=topic=5965.msg250102#msg250102 date=1174839398]
    I made my son a MySpace. He doesn't know the password to go on and is only on it with my supervision.

The only way to teach internet responsibility is to show your child what the internet is all about.  Denying access to something that all the kids are doing is just going to make the child rebel and then he/she will feel like they are breaking rules and will be okay with that.  Too many rules can raise a delinquent just the same as not enough rules.
    [/quote]

The most delinquent kids I knew were pastor's children and the uber holy people's kids.  Too many rules can be worse than no rules.   The too many rule people become serial killers and crazy shit like that.

[quote author=FemmeFatality link=topic=5965.msg250102#msg250102 date=1174839398]

[/quote]

I really commend you, Femme.
    I think this attitude in wanting to teach your son about the internet is a great attitude to have.

I remember when I was younger, being told I couldn't do/watch/have certain things and it made me want and almost crave them to see what it was like.
    Parental supervision is necessary on the internet, in my opinion. There's no way I'd let my kids go online without me there to watch them.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

[quote author=s0ggysh0es link=topic=5965.msg250108#msg250108 date=1174839518]
    The most delinquent kids I knew were pastor's children and the uber holy people's kids.  Too many rules can be worse than no rules.  The too many rule people become serial killers and crazy shit like that.

[/quote]My son's best friend is a pastor's son and that boy is B*A*D.  But it is not too many rules, it is not enough.  He is so spoiled.  They give him anything he wants and if he doesn't get his way, he talks back to his parents.  His dad has the patience of Job because if my child talked to me the way his son talks to him, I would lose it.

[quote author=FemmeFatality link=topic=5965.msg250113#msg250113 date=1174839683]
    My son's best friend is a pastor's son and that boy is B*A*D.  But it is not too many rules, it is not enough.  He is so spoiled.  They give him anything he wants and if he doesn't get his way, he talks back to his parents.  His dad has the patience of Job because if my child talked to me the way his son talks to him, I would lose it.
    [/quote]

When I see kids talking to their parents that way. I want to smack the parent for taking it.  I cannot stand to be around kids like that. My kids would hate me, cause I would never let them have friends like that. Nor would they ever ever be on the net unsupervised.

BUt I would of course let them drink early to cope with me ;)

[/quote]

Another example of parents over reacting without knowing the facts.

But they're Catholics, I expect nothing less. 

[quote author=s0ggysh0es link=topic=5965.msg250116#msg250116 date=1174839840]
    When I see kids talking to their parents that way. I want to smack the parent for taking it.  I cannot stand to be around kids like that. My kids would hate me, cause I would never let them have friends like that. Nor would they ever ever be on the net unsupervised.

BUt I would of course let them drink early to cope with me ;)
    [/quote]My son doesn't like the taste of alcohol.  The pastor's kid, however, loves beer.

[quote author=delta9 link=topic=5965.msg250121#msg250121 date=1174840184]
    Another example of parents over reacting without knowing the facts.

But they're Catholics, I expect nothing less. 
    [/quote]

Ouch!  I don't know much about Catholics since the south is full of Baptists.  However, my son converted to Catholicism in his early 20's because the church offered more freedom of thinking than the Baptist church he previously went to.  I have heard the stories of getting smacked around by nuns, so I guess the Catholic schools are stricter than the church.

the color nine

I went to Catholic school from k to 8th because that was the highest grade they had in our area.  It was hell.  So when they released us to public school we went absolutely wild.  You could spot the newly released Catholic girls in a public school hallway a mile away.

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=5965.msg250144#msg250144 date=1174841350]
    I went to Catholic school from k to 8th because that was the highest grade they had in our area.  It was hell.  So when they released us to public school we went absolutely wild.  You could spot the newly released Catholic girls in a public school hallway a mile away.
    [/quote]That's how some children are when they finally get out of their parents house for the first time.  Whether it is college or moving out on their own, a lot of kids don't make it because they don't know how to manage their independence.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=FemmeFatality link=topic=5965.msg250150#msg250150 date=1174841524]
    That's how some children are when they finally get out of their parents house for the first time.  Whether it is college or moving out on their own, a lot of kids don't make it because they don't know how to manage their independence.
    [/quote]

I went to Private school, then Catholic school until 10th grade.
    I lost my mind. It was too much to handle. I was used to small classes and teachers that got paid too much.
    I went to an alternative HS, but it was still way too much freedom for me to handle.
    I went from an all-boys school to going to classes with pregnant girls! Culture shock!
    I should have been exposed to it earlier, or been kept in private school.
    Just my opnion.

Kudos to you Femme for being an actual parent, and not letting 'the village' raise your kid for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

the color nine

So true.  Then the parents are all gathering together after church discussing and questioning how it all went wrong and what new punishments and new restrictions that can be placed to reel them in. Then they rebel even more.

How ridiculous. Who are they to decide what the kids can do outside of school. I'd be the mom in there raising hell just on principle. And I guess my kid wouldn't get to go there anymore.

I believe supervision and communication are the key here. I started on originally ms to supervise my daughter when she was 15. She said I'll just make it private, I said then you won't be allowed to have one at all. I told her that what she has on her page should be OK for me to see if the whole world can see it. She saw my point, yet didn't need to change anything. At the beginning so many of her 'friends' had provocative and somewhat inappropriate pics on their pages. She thought it was just as distasteful and already knew how inappropriately dangerous it was. And she ended up befriending me ofcourse (we are pretty close) and she is still shocked when any of her friends befriend me too!

I did write to one of her 'friends' that had my daughter's last name on her page. Her last name is different from her parents so she didn't think about someone being able to just look up my daughter in the phone book. They forget that some of their friends have the same last name as their parents. It just isn't as common anymore.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=5965.msg250158#msg250158 date=1174841840]
    I went to Private school, then Catholic school until 10th grade.
    I lost my mind. It was too much to handle. I was used to small classes and teaches that got paid too much.
    I went to an alternative HS, but it was still way too much freedom for me to handle.
    I went from an all-boys school to going to classes with pregnant girls! Culture shock!
    I should have been exposed to it earlier, or been kept in private school.
    Just my opnion.

Kudos to you Femme for being an actual parent, and not letting 'the village' raise your kid for you.
    [/quote]

lol that sucks..sounds like you skipped over the most interesting part  :lol:

[quote author=mm123 link=topic=5965.msg250132#msg250132 date=1174840899]
    Ouch!  I don't know much about Catholics since the south is full of Baptists.  However, my son converted to Catholicism in his early 20's because the church offered more freedom of thinking than the Baptist church he previously went to.  I have heard the stories of getting smacked around by nuns, so I guess the Catholic schools are stricter than the church.
    [/quote]

That's the problem. No church should "offer more freedom of thinking",  like they're trying to sell memberships to a gym.

As a human being you should be able to question everything.

Maybe if the Muslims from this video http://kaktuz.com/fiw/Beaten_to_death.htm had the brain capacity to question things, this woman would still be alive.

SOAD

[quote author=Poofer link=topic=5965.msg250070#msg250070 date=1174837303]

[/quote]

I honestly dont see WTF it has to do with the school........I hate it when dipshit teachers try to control everything that has fuck all to do with them, when I was at school one teacher asked me when I was gonna get my hair cut, so I told him "when every other guy with long hair has theirs cut"

MI school bans MySpace

[/quote]

This thread is scheduled for removal unless a URL can be provided.

[quote author=J link=topic=5965.msg250611#msg250611 date=1174864408]

This thread is scheduled for removal unless a URL can be provided.
    [/quote]

Oh noes!!! 

Thread Information