Thread: Madyson Van Cleave Hook (4) died from blunt force trauma to the head

Madyson Van Cleave Hook (4) died from blunt force trauma to the head

A Newport News community held a candlelight vigil for 4-year-old Madyson Van Cleave Hook. Police say she was murdered by her mother's boyfriend.

23-year-old Carl Cottee Jr. was babysitting Madyson alone on Friday when emergency dispatchers received a call that the little girl was not breathing. Cottee is now facing murder, child neglect and cruelty charges.

Hook's family members tell 10 On your Side they had suspicions she was being abused. Just a few weeks ago Madyson's grandmother says the little girl complained of being locked in a dresser and left alone.

Neighbors, family members and friends created a memorial in front of the apartment building Madyson shared with her mother Kayla Hook and Cottee. It is also where investigators say the young girl was killed.

Madyson's grandmother Tracy Jaskowak was told Madyson's death was an accident.

"I was told that Carl Michael gave her a bath, then she got dizzy, and she passed out," Jaskowak said. "Then he called 911."

More ghastly details of Madyson's last moments soon surfaced. Police say she died from blunt force trauma to the head. Family members tell WAVY.com Madyson had several bruises and multiple skull fractures.

"It's horrible I just can't imagine her going through that pain," Jaskowak said. "I can hear her saying, 'I love my Nan Nan.'"

Just two weeks ago, Jaskowak says she called Child Protective Services to investigate if Madyson was being abused. Nothing came of that investigation, and now Madyson's family is left with lingering questions and heartache.

They found some comfort in the arms of neighbors and friends on Sunday as they gathered to remember the last moments they had with Madyson.

"I remember she was in her room playing with her dollhouse and she said, 'My Pop Pop is going to buy me a pool,'" Madyson's grandmother Michelle Pitts said.

Dozens attended the candle light vigil held in Madyson's honor. Family and friends held pink candles, Madyson's favorite color, and clung to one another. Madyson's dad Shane Van Cleave says he vows to keep telling his first born's story.
    He will keep talking about how little Madyson loved boy bands, dancing, and how with a simple smile she made everyone happy.

"She was a presence and she made everybody smile no matter how bad of a mood they were in," Van Cleave says. "She was just a brighter day."

Madyson's family says her death shows the importance of speaking up and speaking out about child abuse.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...for-4-year-old

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Holy fucking shit this happened in my hometown. Fucking piece of shit. Maybe someone will do humanity a favor and shoot this asshole and save the state some money.

http://www.wvec.com/my-city/nnews/Ca...206210371.html
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

What is with all these mothers leaving their boyfriends alone with their little kids?? And this bitch lets this man bath her little girl! It would have been over my dead body before I ever left my daughter alone with a man and never, ever would they bath my child. I hate these kinds of people!!
    RIP sweet beauty

Just awful. What a precious little girl and such a big smile!

I wonder why the family didn't take a more active stance when the little girl said she had been locked in a dresser two weeks prior to her death? I mean, when she told someone about this why didn't the adult go straight to the mom or call police to investigate and talk to the little girl immediately?

Im more than willing to bet that no one wanted to rock the boat but now this little girl paid a price. Im not blaming the grandma, she did call CPS but sometimes we have to take it into our own hands to find out what is happening.

My youngest son has went to school with a few tall tales and we were called and even tho it was an active child's imagination, im glad someone listened.

Who knows if this little girl would have lived had someone followed up a little more.

Thread Information