Thread: Joyce Vincent - Dead for 3 years prior to discovery in a London bedsit

Joyce Vincent - Dead for 3 years prior to discovery in a London bedsit

I watched "Dreams of a Life" on netflix.com about this case. A beautiful woman in her 30s just simply dies, despite being a vibrant and attractive person. Her death isn't noticed for 3 years.

The trailer to the film:

So many weird twist and turns of the story. So many loved ones and such a loner at the same time.

A critical reaction to the film: http://bluecentric.com/?p=39430

I watched it too. It was so sad. Now I'm still sad but the other link you gave told much needed details.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

I'm so confused as to why her family has remained so silent. She had 4 sisters.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    I'll add this to my list of things to watch. How sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

I've been wanting to watch the film for ages. I'm fascinated and saddened by this case.

I had never heard of this case -I really want to see the piece now.

GREAT film!

I want to know who the Polish boyfriend was. I also want to know who she was wrapping Christmas presents for. I'm guessing she didn't label them, or they might have said in the documentary. So many questions. Why were the utilities still on? 3 years of rental arrears (I understand her housing was subsidized by a battered women's agency or group)? Nobody from said group ever thought to check on her (SHE WAS FLEEING AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP, FFS)? And those 4 sisters -- not a mention of them anywhere on the internet, and they declined any involvement with the documentary. I'd think even if I had a falling out with my brother, I'd want to know all I could about his death. Not knowing how she died means that she could have been the victim of a crime. Also, much is made of her not having substance abuse issues in her 20s. I can attest that developing an addiction in your 30s is not out of the question. I'm just so unsettled by this story.

I'm with you Peavey. All of those opportunities she had in her 20's, and then in her 30's...she all but disappeared. As a result of the rental arrears, now abuse victims will be checked in on annually. She was ill months before her death. For some reason, I'm outraged at her family, friends, authorities, the city of London...I know, unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Peavey View Post
    I want to know who the Polish boyfriend was. I also want to know who she was wrapping Christmas presents for. I'm guessing she didn't label them, or they might have said in the documentary. So many questions. Why were the utilities still on? 3 years of rental arrears (I understand her housing was subsidized by a battered women's agency or group)? Nobody from said group ever thought to check on her (SHE WAS FLEEING AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP, FFS)? And those 4 sisters -- not a mention of them anywhere on the internet, and they declined any involvement with the documentary. I'd think even if I had a falling out with my brother, I'd want to know all I could about his death. Not knowing how she died means that she could have been the victim of a crime. Also, much is made of her not having substance abuse issues in her 20s. I can attest that developing an addiction in your 30s is not out of the question. I'm just so unsettled by this story.
    I think that the shelter may have been on the lease for the apartment, and therefore paid all the utilities? She could have also had a direct debit set up I guess. I thought I'd read somewhere that she died in Jan or Feb and I wondered why she was wrapping presents AFTER Christmas. But I can't find where I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahric13 View Post
    I'm with you Peavey. All of those opportunities she had in her 20's, and then in her 30's...she all but disappeared. As a result of the rental arrears, now abuse victims will be checked in on annually. She was ill months before her death. For some reason, I'm outraged at her family, friends, authorities, the city of London...I know, unreasonable.
    I read in the link that Peavey posted that her family hired a PI to find her. Which in itself shows how out of touch they were with her.

Interesting info here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/...ry-documentary

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I think that the shelter may have been on the lease for the apartment, and therefore paid all the utilities? She could have also had a direct debit set up I guess. I thought I'd read somewhere that she died in Jan or Feb and I wondered why she was wrapping presents AFTER Christmas. But I can't find where I read that.
    I remember when she was found and it was all over the news here. I'm sure they said they thought she died in the December 2003 (hence wrapping Christmas presents). Her body was found in January 2006.

This is so haunting and disturbing. It's hard to wrap your mind around. I read the link written by the woman who made the film and I just don't get it. She had all these friends and lovers and no one kept in touch with her? What's the deal with her family? Why did no one want to come forward to talk about her? I guess they're feeling like complete pricks because she died alone and no one noticed for 3 f'n years? The rent thing also blows my mind. How long did it go unpaid before they went looking for her? A full 3 years? That makes no sense. I don't have Netflix or I'd watch it.

Can't wait to watch! I need Netflix :(

Thread Information