Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Kendrick Johnson (17) Dies after getting trapped in gym mats

Valdosta, Georgia (CNN) -- The death of 17-year-old Kendrick Johnson was awful enough for his parents. Then came the doubts about investigators' conclusion that it was an accident.

But the discovery that their son's body and skull had been stuffed with newspaper before burial added a horrific new dimension to their anguish and further fueled their skepticism of the official findings.

"We have been let down again," his father, Kenneth Johnson, told CNN. "When we buried Kendrick, we thought we were burying Kendrick, not half of Kendrick."

Kendrick Johnson was found dead in a gym at Lowndes County High School in January. State medical examiners concluded that the three-sport athlete suffocated after getting stuck in a rolled-up gym mat while reaching for a sneaker.

Death was not accidental, family's autopsy finds

His parents, Kenneth and Jacquelyn Johnson, never have bought that explanation. They won a court order to have their son's body exhumed and a second autopsy performed in June.
    New evidence in Kendrick Johnson's death
    Dead teen's parents speak out
    New autopsy finds teen death not accident

During an autopsy, internal organs are removed and examined before being returned for burial. But when Dr. Bill Anderson, the private pathologist who conducted the second autopsy, opened up the teen's remains, the brain, heart, lungs, liver and other viscera were missing. Every organ from the pelvis to the skull was gone.

"I'm not sure at this point who did not return the organs to the body," Anderson said. "But I know when we got the body, the organs were not there."

Two entities had custody of Kendrick Johnson's body after his death -- the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which conducted the first autopsy in January; and the Harrington Funeral Home in Valdosta, which handled the teen's embalming and burial.

GBI spokeswoman Sherry Lang told CNN that after the autopsy, "the organs were placed in Johnson's body, the body was closed, then the body was released to the funeral home." That's normal practice, Lang said.

The funeral home would not comment to CNN. But in a letter to the Johnsons' attorney, funeral home owner Antonio Harrington said his firm never received the teen's organs. Harrington wrote that the organs "were destroyed through natural process" due to the position of Kendrick Johnson's body when he died, and "discarded by the prosector before the body was sent back to Valdosta." A prosector dissects the body for pathological examination.

Scene points to foul play

Stuffing a body with old newsprint and department-store circulars -- "like he was a garbage can," as Jacquelyn Johnson put it -- isn't exactly standard practice in forensic pathology or the mortician's trade. Vernie Fountain, the founder of a Missouri embalming school, called it "not consistent with the standards of care" in the industry. And Dr. Gregory Schmunk, the president of the National Association of Medical Examiners, told CNN, "I have never heard of this practice."

Organs are typically placed in plastic bag, which is then put back into the body cavity after an autopsy, Schmunk told CNN in an e-mail. While individual organs may be kept back for further testing, he wrote, "This would not amount to all of the organs in any circumstance that I can imagine."

Funeral homes are licensed by the Georgia Secretary of State's office, which has opened an investigation into how Johnson's body was treated, said Jared Thomas, a spokesman for the agency.

Anderson, who was hired by the Johnson family for a second autopsy, found Kendrick Johnson had sustained a blow to the right side of his neck that was "consistent with inflicted injury." Challenging the state autopsy's finding of positional asphyxiation, he concluded the teen died as the result of "unexplained, apparent non-accidental, blunt force trauma."

And death scene imagery obtained exclusively by CNN has led a former FBI agent to question how Johnson died: "I think this young man met with foul play," said Harold Copus, now an Atlanta private investigator.

Lowndes County Sheriff Chris Prine refused to discuss the matter with CNN, calling Johnson's death a closed case. The U.S. Justice Department announced in September that it wouldn't open a civil rights investigation into the case.

But federal prosecutors in south Georgia have met with the family's representatives and are weighing whether to open their own probe, said Michael Moore, the U.S. attorney whose district includes Valdosta.

"This is about getting to the facts and the truth, and we want the Johnson family and the community of Valdosta to have confidence in the process," Moore said. "I am cognizant of time, and we continue to move the process along."

Moore urged anyone with information about Johnson's death to contact his office. Johnson's parents have come to believe their son's death was no accident, and the macabre discovery about their son's body has only deepened that belief.

"It's unbearable, just about," Jacquelyn Johnson said. "The only thing that wakes you up in the morning is to just keep pushing."
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/us/geo...gymmatdeath10a

Soooooo, uhhhhh, where are his organs??? Sold on the black market???

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    I still can't get over the newspapers, though. I never gave any thought to what bodies were stuffed with, just as I'm sure his family didn't until it came to this point where they've been through hell already (regardless of how he died). It sounds ridiculous, but paper towels seem less innocuous than like...Macy's ads. Unless they were those paper towels that have cutesy bunny and flower prints or whatever.

Please tell me you guys didn't use springtime pattern paper towels

We didn't use newspapers or printed paper towels. We used tri fold paper towels. Sometimes they were brown and sometimes they were white.

The thing is, if you (general you) knew everything that happened to your body during surgery and/or death you wouldn't do either of them. I'm serious.

The second pathologist knew the organs wouldn't be there. He is releasing this information so it causes more noise. He needs the public uproar to get it done, because there is no case. The family needs the public uproar so someone will be held accountable for a crime that wasn't committed.

The family isn't trying to look for Kendrick's "killer." Not one time have I heard the family talk about wanting to find the killer. Not one time have I heard them talk about how scared they are knowing his killer is walking free. STILL GOING TO THE SAME SCHOOL. Living in their neighborhood. Not one time have I heard the family talk about how the killer still gets to play basketball, go to prom, go to college, get married, have kids. NOT ONE TIME.

This family sees dollar signs.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Soooooo, uhhhhh, where are his organs??? Sold on the black market???
    In the biohazard trash.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    ..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Nah, sorry. Story still seems weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

yep
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Oh, I totally agree with that. Weird that the parents aren't raging there is a "murderer" on the loose. This poor kid is dead and the parents are on the news raging over a tennis shoe not being bagged when there is a murderer in their midst. What about the other kids? They aren't safe. What is the family doing to try to protect the other kids from ending up like their son?

Also, remember when this story first broke the family compared their son to Trayvon Martin? They were alleging their son was a victim of a hate crime. Where has that steam gone?

I can totally see how an untrained person could see the conspiracy and I believe that is the fuel being used for this case.

$$$$$

..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

oh snap
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

So now I'm really confused... the president of the National Organization of Medical Examiners says organs are put back in after autopsy--
    Dr. Gregory Schmunk, the president of the National Association of Medical Examiners, told CNN, "I have never heard of this practice."

Organs are typically placed in plastic bag, which is then put back into the body cavity after an autopsy, Schmunk told CNN in an e-mail. While individual organs may be kept back for further testing, he wrote, "This would not amount to all of the organs in any circumstance that I can imagine."
    And the GBI says that is their standard practice too, and that is what they did in this case. Funeral home says they did not receive organs with the body. Someone is lying, but who? And why??

CNN is definitely pimping this story out though...speaking of which, none other than Benjamin Crump is now on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    oh snap
    She takes this one very personally.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    I noticed. I bailed when she started acting like people were donkeys for thinking something was up.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    So now I'm really confused... the president of the National Organization of Medical Examiners says organs are put back in after autopsy--

And the GBI says that is their standard practice too, and that is what they did in this case. Funeral home says they did not receive organs with the body. Someone is lying, but who? And why??

CNN is definitely pimping this story out though...speaking of which, none other than Benjamin Crump is now on the team.

I'm gonna say the President of NOME, because I know for a fact it happens. I did it. For years. He received his education from a training institution where I can't imagine it not happening (man in a pan). I suspect the ME world is trying to keep things close to the vest because if people really knew what happened to their bodies/organs they literally would not want to die (anymore than they already do). The only other thing I can think of is a ME's office maybe halfing an organ. Placing half in the body half in the pan to wait for final path report.

Also, why would he "admit" to some organs being kept but not all? (rhetorical) Because he's fibbing.

See those big ice cream buckets towards the right?

Bucket 'ol man

I've been hunting for some better pics, but haven't found any yet.

Also, do you (not you, general you) know your tongue is also removed in autopsy? Most people are not aware of what goes on after death because we don't want to even think about our death.
    Last edited by morbidT; 10-10-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    We didn't use newspapers or printed paper towels. We used tri fold paper towels. Sometimes they were brown and sometimes they were white.

The thing is, if you (general you) knew everything that happened to your body during surgery and/or death you wouldn't do either of them. I'm serious.
    You have all the gross answers! So do they stuff them even if it's not open casket? I'm still having a hard time with the need to stuff someone's skull with the sports page.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Not personally. It's a subject I'm very versed on. Misinformation and misconceptions feed many a subject. I'm just aware of the ones for this one.

I noticed. I bailed when she started acting like people were donkeys for thinking something was up.
    Why are you back then if you bailed?

I never started acting like people were donkeys. I'm not going to apologize for not believing this was a hate crime or a conspiracy. I've only provided information from my own first hand experience and knowledge.

I mean, seriously. Where is the outrage for this kid's murderer? I'm not being facetious when I ask this. I've literally seen none from any of the posters in here, the family, the media, no one. If this case isn't about money then why isn't any of these people pounding the pavement to find the killer?

Also, why would he "admit" to some organs being kept but not all? (rhetorical) Because he's fibbing.
    I'm not seeing this (some organs...) Every quote I've read says every organ from skull to pelvis was gone.

Also, do you (no you, general you) know your tongue is also removed in autopsy? Most people are not aware of what goes on after death because we don't want to even think about our death.
    Really?!? Why is that? (heehee, I luuurve this stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    You have all the gross answers! So do they stuff them even if it's not open casket? I'm still having a hard time with the need to stuff someone's skull with the sports page.
    Yeah, because it isn't about open caskets. It's about the body draining once it's placed in the body bag and back in the fridge before the funeral home picks it up (or who ever is picking the body up for disposal). The vascular structure is severed so there is leakage of fluid. It's a small volume of blood because the only blood left is in the limbs (mostly) and the rest is the water used to hose the body down so it's not messy going into the body bag.

I got to thinking as to why anyone would use newspapers. Maybe it was because recycling newspapers are cheaper than paper towels? I dunno, but that's really the only thing I can think of.

I'm not trying to be a dick about this stuff, but people really don't know what goes on. Remember, doctors (most) are scientists. Many do no believe in souls, religion, heaven or hell. Many believe we are just dead and the physical body is a shell (well, some christians or other religious people believe this too) and they have no respect for this "shell." I always gave respect to the physical body because I do not know how that person believed or their loved ones. I didn't sling them around on the slab or hack at them like they were a side of beef. I was delicate and held their heads up so it wasn't banging against the table.

The newspaper thing really isn't a big deal to me. I can certainly understand why it is/would be to people who do not know what happens to our bodies after death, though.

Believe me, I went through the same shock when I saw these things, too, for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    I'm not seeing this (some organs...) Every quote I've read says every organ from skull to pelvis was gone.

Really?!? Why is that? (heehee, I luuurve this stuff.)
    From the article of corpse not posted.

I was speaking of what Dr. Schmuck told CNN about common autopsy practices.

Because it is an investigation into pathology. The person may have died from being stuck in a wrestling mat, but may have undiagnosed tongue cancer.

That's the best way I can explain it.

Not personally. It's a subject I'm very versed on. Misinformation and misconceptions feed many a subject. I'm just aware of the ones for this one.

Why are you back then if you bailed?

I never started acting like people were donkeys. I'm not going to apologize for not believing this was a hate crime or a conspiracy. I've only provided information from my own first hand experience and knowledge.

I mean, seriously. Where is the outrage for this kid's murderer? I'm not being facetious when I ask this. I've literally seen none from any of the posters in here, the family, the media, no one. If this case isn't about money then why isn't any of these people pounding the pavement to find the killer?
    To see if you shut the fuck up.

You can disagree, but you started talking down to folks and it's not that serious. Maybe people would get what you're saying if you didn't act like they were children for not agreeing.

It was interesting to see you not be all nice though. Bit it's like you only have two settings. Disney Princess or douche.

Just because the parents said this was a hate crime, doesn't mean everyone who thinks this is weird has to believe EXACTLY the same thing.

Hate crime? No.

But people don't have to be "versed" on medical business to feel and have an opinion that "If the smell of shit is in the air, something rotten is probably near by."

To see if you shut the fuck up.

You can disagree, but you started talking down to folks and it's not that serious. Maybe people would get what you're saying if you didn't act like they were children for not agreeing.

It was interesting to see you not be all nice though. Bit it's like you only have two settings. Disney Princess or douche.
    Well I haven't.

Pfffft.....

It's not my problem if you feel stupid or if you feel like a child.

I have tried to make very detailed posts so people understand what goes on behind the scenes to the best of my knowledge. It kind of is a big deal when someone is screaming a hate crime and conspiracy. Especially when someone may be tried and convicted for a crime they did not commit all because of untrained people making a lot of noise on the curb and a justice system that has to fight for a conviction just to appease a group of people.

I don't have a problem having a discussion that involves differences of opinions. That's what I like about a discussion forum.

I do see your child like tendencies when people disagree with you though. It's like you are throwing a tantrum in the middle of the candy isle.

Disney douche. I like it.

Well I haven't.

Pfffft.....

It's not my problem if you feel stupid or if you feel like a child.

I have tried to make very detailed posts so people understand what goes on behind the scenes to the best of my knowledge. It kind of is a big deal when someone is screaming a hate crime and conspiracy. Especially when someone may be tried and convicted for a crime they did not commit all because of untrained people making a lot of noise on the curb and a justice system that has to fight for a conviction just to appease a group of people.

I don't have a problem having a discussion that involves differences of opinions. That's what I like about a discussion forum.

I do see your child like tendencies when people disagree with you though. It's like you are throwing a tantrum in the middle of the candy isle.

Disney douche. I like it.
    You're such a snarky little shit.

Just because the parents said this was a hate crime, doesn't mean everyone who thinks this is weird has to believe EXACTLY the same thing.

Hate crime? No.

But people don't have to be "versed" on medical business to feel and have an opinion that "If the smell of shit is in the air, something rotten is probably near by."
    It's just the default feeling when you're a minority. If you're white and you suspect a coverup, you don't have to assume it's because someone didn't like your skin. Yay white privilege.

Hate crime? No.

I never said this though. In the beginning of this thread there was a lot of hate crime talk from posters and the media. It was all over the TV and internet with crowds of people screaming hate crime. I'm interested in hearing why this isn't mentioned anymore. Is it still thought of a hate crime, but farther down on the priority list? I'm just interested, that's all.

I agree you don't have to be versed. I was responding to posts specifically about me. I'm strong in my opinion and theory because of it.

I'm not saying no one can have their opinion, but I will also have mine. I don't understand what the problem with that is. It's up to you all to understand/agree/disagree with it as I am to yours. gnomesayin?

I never said this though. In the beginning of this thread there was a lot of hate crime talk from posters and the media. It was all over the TV and internet with crowds of people screaming hate crime. I'm interested in hearing why this isn't mentioned anymore. Is it still thought of a hate crime, but farther down on the priority list? I'm just interested, that's all.

I agree you don't have to be versed. I was responding to posts specifically about me. I'm strong in my opinion and theory because of it.

I'm not saying no one can have their opinion, but I will also have mine. I don't understand what the problem with that is. It's up to you all to understand/agree/disagree with it as I am to yours. gnomesayin?
    I just said you were speaking down to people and you said you didn't give a shit. You made your point the first time. Don't be nice now. Go all in.

You're such a snarky little shit.

It's just the default feeling when you're a minority. If you're white and you suspect a coverup, you don't have to assume it's because someone didn't like your skin. Yay white privilege.

Maybe it is my white privilege that jades me from thinking every time a minority dies (from an unknown assailant or a white person) it has to be about race.

I'm fully aware that racism exists and is alive and well I just don't think everything that happens in the world is prompted by the color of someone's skin. KEY WORD; EVERYTHING. That's why I don't think default, I guess. I dunno. I'm stumped on this.

Maybe it is my white privilege that jades me from thinking every time a minority dies (from an unknown assailant or a white person) it has to be about race.

I'm fully aware that racism exists and is alive and well I just don't think everything that happens in the world is prompted by the color of someone's skin. KEY WORD; EVERYTHING. That's why I don't think default, I guess. I dunno. I'm stumped on this.
    It's something you never have to worry about. Like me and abortion or gay marriage. But you can still take notice.

Thread Information