Thread: Margaret "Jan" Smith (59) found in a car in a retention pond 8 months after going missing

Margaret "Jan" Smith (59) found in a car in a retention pond 8 months after going missing

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...0-f27a934afd74

While the Polk County Sheriff's Office continues efforts to confirm the identity of the body found Wednesday in a retention pond, family members of Margaret "Jan" Smith told authorities it is her.

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-25-2022 at 04:35 PM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Why is it that it's always regular people finding these cars and searching for people that then have to alert the cops. Why won't the cops DO THEIR EFFING JOB? Too busy just driving around and shooting people sleeping on their couch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

"Adventures With Purpose" does a great job, and they are completely crowd-sourced. Here's their YT channel, lots of finds:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNT...RVnYcgJx7DjNPQ

Most police departments don't have the manpower, funding, or assets to conduct the kind of searches Jared and Doug perform. Sometimes, AWP are the only hope for the families. Knowing that, I'm surprised at the number of police departments that gave them a hard time when they first started doing this. A couple of (small town) departments were real jackholes, and it became clear early on, that many departments don't even bother looking in lakes/rivers.

I'm a couple of weeks behind in watching their episodes, but I just saw one where a Vietnam vet w/a terminal illness drove his car off the wharf at the local marina. He went to the marina all the time to eat and drink, all of his friends were there. There were MISSING signs posted up inside the marina bar/restaurant. When AWP got there (weeks later), they found a big piece of the veterans car next to the wharf - it even had the Ford logo on it! WTF is wrong with people? Nobody put two and two together?!
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

We have several other threads on here about Adventures with Purposes. They do amazing work! I have them tagged with an "Adventures with Purposes" tag.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    We have several other threads on here about Adventures with Purposes. They do amazing work! I have them tagged with an "Adventures with Purposes" tag.
    Almost, sorta, but not really embarrassed that I don't know how to use tags. I know what they are, but don't know how to use them. How would I find all of the AWP tags, considering the search engine for this site is possibly the worst I've ever used in 32 years of searching?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Almost, sorta, but not really embarrassed that I don't know how to use tags. I know what they are, but don't know how to use them. How would I find all of the AWP tags, considering the search engine for this site is possibly the worst I've ever used in 32 years of searching?
    Scroll down to the bottom of the page, where it says view tag cloud, and then click on that. It will show you the most used tags, but it will also allow you to search. You can start typing and after you have a few letters it will suggest tags for you.

Unfortunately Kambing fucked it up by adding repetitive tags. Instead of just having drowning we now have drown, drowned, drowing, etc. we had murder-suicide, and he had to add murder suicide. He did this with a million different tags so it's less efficient that it was.

Thank you for that!

I spent HOURS tagging THOUSANDS of my photos in Microsoft's Picture Gallery, and now they have discontinued MPG and I have thousands of photos with thousands of tags and no way to search on them.

We have the resources to buy up surplus military equipment for departments and they use seized money to buy toys, but we don't have the resources to search for missing people?

Not buying the whole "we don't have the resources" thing. It's more like, we don't feel like putting the resources towards it and would rather spend it on tanks and toys. It's not unlike the federal government. We never have the money for social services, but we always have the trillions for the military budget.

ETA: Here is a prefect example of funds that are misused instead of putting it towards the public interest.

Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 02-06-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    We have the resources to buy up surplus military equipment for departments and they use seized money to buy toys, but we don't have the resources to search for missing people?

Not buying the whole "we don't have the resources" thing. It's more like, we don't feel like putting the resources towards it and would rather spend it on tanks and toys. It's not unlike the federal government. We never have the money for social services, but we always have the trillions for the military budget.

ETA: Here is a prefect example of funds that are misused instead of putting it towards the public interest.
    I couldn't agree more. I went on the biggest letter writing campaign of my life in the mid-80s when Congress passed the Comprehensive Crime Act. The abuse of forfeiture laws was predictable and still rankles me.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I went on the biggest letter writing campaign of my life in the mid-80s when Congress passed the Comprehensive Crime Act. The abuse of forfeiture laws was predictable and still rankles me.
    Yeah, it's pretty gross. I can see where it initially might have been a good tool to take down large crime syndicates. However, like just about every power given to a corrupt organization, it has been abused more for personal gain than anything else. It needs to be rolled back at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty gross. I can see where it initially might have been a good tool to take down large crime syndicates. However, like just about every power given to a corrupt organization, it has been abused more for personal gain than anything else. It needs to be rolled back at this point.
    No, I've never agreed with it. Crime syndicates and Drug Kingpins were how they sold it to the public, because who's going to argue against seizing their assets, eh? No one. But the abuse was totally predictable, c'mon.... free money for the police department?? You're inviting civil rights abuses. It didn't take but a hot minute for mob seizures to turn into taking Granny's house because her 20yo grandson was selling weed out of his room. I've always had issues with the constitutionality of forfeiture laws anyway. Federal courts don't agree with me, go figure.

Thread Information