Thread: Wongel Estifanos (6) dies on amusement park ride at Glenwood Cavens Adventure Park

Wongel Estifanos (6) dies on amusement park ride at Glenwood Cavens Adventure Park

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rk/5746804001/
    6-year-old girl dies on amusement park ride at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Colorado

A 6-year-old girl was killed on an amusement park ride on Sunday at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, authorities said.

At 7:44 p.m. Sunday night, the Garfield County Coroner?s Office was notified a 6-year-old girl suffered fatal injuries while riding the Haunted Mine Drop ride at the amusement park, according to a statement from Garfield County Coroner Robert M. Glassmire.

Following the incident, park employees began administering first aid until paramedics arrived and pronounced the child dead at the scene.

The coroner's office did not release the identity of the child but said the girl was from Colorado Springs and vacationing in the area with her family.

Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park said in a statement of Facebook the park would be closed Monday and Tuesday.

"An incident occurred this evening, September 5, at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park on the Haunted Mine Drop ride that resulted in a fatality," the statement read. "Out of respect and concern for all parties involved, we will not have further comment until all details have been confirmed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all involved."

The Haunted Mine Drop, which opened in July 2017, is billed as the first drop ride to go underground, plunging riders 110 feet inside of Iron Mountain. Park visitors are required to sign a liability waiver before going on any rides or attractions.

The sheriff?s and coroner?s offices are investigating the death and an autopsy is scheduled later this week.

"The Coroner?s Office extends their condolences to the friends and family of the victim," Glassmire said in the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Well, it's not a ride I'd go on but that's just me. Six years old is kind of young IMHO. How big was she? Do they have an age/size restriction in place? Since nobody else died, it's obvious that the injuries were due to her not being restrained properly. Perhaps the bar and seat belt weren't small enough to keep her in the seat?

If it wasn't haunted before, it sure as hell will be now. Way too young.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Well, it's not a ride I'd go on but that's just me. Six years old is kind of young IMHO. How big was she? Do they have an age/size restriction in place? Since nobody else died, it's obvious that the injuries were due to her not being restrained properly. Perhaps the bar and seat belt weren't small enough to keep her in the seat?

If it wasn't haunted before, it sure as hell will be now. Way too young.
    Riders must be 46 inches, or 3-foot-10, to get on.
    https://www.blackhillsfox.com/2021/0...dent-colorado/

(There are lap belts, but no shoulder restraints from another article)
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Holy shit I would never get on that ride. It looks terrifying.

I wonder if the ride malfunctioned or she had a medical episode?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Holy shit I would never get on that ride. It looks terrifying.

I wonder if the ride malfunctioned or she had a medical episode?
    I thought of a medical episode, but it says that she suffered fatal injuries. I would think by that description it would be trauma rather than a seizure or something like that.

Girl (6) Killed On Haunted Mine Drop Ride, Colorado

Yet another "haunted" ride that can be advertised as authentic now

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...kwa-story.html

6-year-old girl dies at Colorado adventure park
    By KATE FELDMAN
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
    SEP 06, 2021 AT 4:02 PM

A 6-year-old girl died Sunday night at a Glenwood Springs, Colo., adventure park in the middle of a ride.

The girl, who has not been publicly identified, was riding the Haunted Mine Drop ride at the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park when she was ?fatally injured,? the Garfield County Coroner?s Office told the Daily News.

Glenwood Caverns employees performed first aid until paramedics from the Glenwood Springs Fire Department arrived and pronounced her dead.

The coroner?s office said she and her family were on vacation from Colorado Springs, about four hours southeast of Glenwood Springs.

The girl died while riding the Haunted Mine Drop. (Chelsea Self/AP)

An autopsy is scheduled for this week.

Park officials shut down Glenwood Caverns Monday and Tuesday.

?Our thoughts and prayers go out to all involved,? the park said in a statement.

The Haunted Mine Drop ride, which opened in July 2017, plummets 110 feet into a mountain and is one of the park?s ?perennial visitor favorites,? according to its website. The ride has a 46-inch minimum height requirement.

Some vid of the ride

Edit : Soz guys, I knew I was going to double up threads sooner or later because my mds search skills are so rusty. Lol I was convinced it was going to happen with the missing kid case yesterday
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-06-2021 at 05:45 PM.

A 6-year-old Colorado girl fell to her death at the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs earlier this month after ride operators failed to properly check her seatbelts, state officials said.

Wongel Estifanos of Colorado Springs, Colo., died from her injuries on Sept. 5 after investigators said she fell 110 feet from the Haunted Mine Drop ride.

Estifanos was visiting the amusement park during Labor Day weekend while on vacation with her family.

In a report from the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment, state investigators say the child was sitting on top of two seat belts previously buckled on the ride instead of wearing them properly them across her lap.

State investigators said an alarm system warned workers of the issue, but two of the workers, who had been hired within the past two months, weren't properly trained to fix the issue.

One of the workers reset the system and began to dispatch the ride, investigators said.

"Safety is, and always has been, our top priority," park officials told KDVR-TV.

Park officials told the local broadcaster they're continuing to work closely with Colorado Department of Labor and Employment safety experts who are reviewing the incident.

The Haunted Mine Drop, which opened in July 2017, is referred to as the first drop ride to go underground, dropping riders 110 feet inside of Iron Mountain.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/24/10405...ling-seat-belt

Oh.my.god. she wasnt even buckled in? That poor kid fell to her death. They didnt check everyones belt before they went down?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I smell a lawsuit.
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    I smell a lawsuit.
    As there should be. Trust if that were my child there would be hell to pay.

Where were her grown ups? They let her go on ride alone?

So.... An alarm goes off and they ignore it? Why have the alarm in the first place if they're just going to ignore the fucking thing? Also, I'm with Pidge. Where were get parents in all of this? Did they just let her sit on top of the seatbelts and ignore her?

So.... An alarm goes off and they ignore it? Why have the alarm in the first place if they're just going to ignore the fucking thing? Also, I'm with Pidge. Where were get parents in all of this? Did they just let her sit on top of the seatbelts and ignore her?
    Yeah. At that age I never road a ride that my dad or one of my uncles wasn't right there making sure I was strapped in...

The park had been shut down because of the pandemic and only recently reopened. Sounds like they had people working there who didn't know wtf they were doing for sure.

I totally missed where the alarm went off. Thats gross negligence.

The ride operaters are usually no-so-bright teenagers that arent making much and dont care. I agree an adult with her should have checked, unless she went on her own, which isnt unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I totally missed where the alarm went off. Thats gross negligence.

The ride operaters are usually no-so-bright teenagers that arent making much and dont care. I agree an adult with her should have checked, unless she went on her own, which isnt unheard of.
    Honestly. Even the dumbest of the dumb should have known better. These alarms are literally put in to place for morons. They heard the alarm and just said, "Ummm... What's that? Well, whatever. Nevermind. We'll just reset the computer and plunge people 110 feet in to the abyss. No biggie".

This has me SO fucking angry. I don't care how inexperienced or how young or how stupid people are. Two people completely ignored an alarm and then operated the ride without taking the time to figure out why there was even an alarm in the first place. It's beyond gross negligence. It's also the reason why you'll never catch me on any of that shit.

Honestly. Even the dumbest of the dumb should have known better. These alarms are literally put in to place for morons. They heard the alarm and just said, "Ummm... What's that? Well, whatever. Nevermind. We'll just reset the computer and plunge people 110 feet in to the abyss. No biggie".

This has me SO fucking angry. I don't care how inexperienced or how young or how stupid people are. Two people completely ignored an alarm and then operated the ride without taking the time to figure out why there was even an alarm in the first place. It's beyond gross negligence. It's also the reason why you'll never catch me on any of that shit.
    You are right. Im making excuses for them...Im just wondering how often the alarm thing goes off? If its a regular thing?

Cheney said he could not prove ?beyond a reasonable doubt any one person or entity acted with criminal negligence or was criminally reckless beyond a reasonable doubt,? according to the letter obtained late Tuesday by The Gazette.
    I get that prosecutors have to prove a crime was committed. But isn't it at the very least criminally negligent manslaughter to ignore a safety alarm that results in death????
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

I wonder if they cant figure out who of the 2 employees turned the alarm off.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Ok, I feel for her family, and I ABSOLUTELY am angry at the employees for ignoring/resetting the alarm.

But her parents were with her and they didn't assist her with the seatbelt? She's 6. My kid is 10 and any time we get on ANYTHING I'm double/triple checking that shit, because teenagers run that shit most of the time and some of those coaster/ride restraints can be confusing for a kid.

It also says she sat on a buckle that was already buckled, which sounds like standard practice at these places that have alarms, you have to buckle/pull down the restraint even on empty seats so the system thinks it's all good to go, so maybe because the buckles were buckled it showed the operators that and they thought the alarm was a false thing? Regardless, they should be walking down and physically checking each passenger.

Anyway, this one is sad and a lot of things failed her. RIP

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjillian View Post
    Ok, I feel for her family, and I ABSOLUTELY am angry at the employees for ignoring/resetting the alarm.

But her parents were with her and they didn't assist her with the seatbelt? She's 6. My kid is 10 and any time we get on ANYTHING I'm double/triple checking that shit, because teenagers run that shit most of the time and some of those coaster/ride restraints can be confusing for a kid.

It also says she sat on a buckle that was already buckled, which sounds like standard practice at these places that have alarms, you have to buckle/pull down the restraint even on empty seats so the system thinks it's all good to go, so maybe because the buckles were buckled it showed the operators that and they thought the alarm was a false thing? Regardless, they should be walking down and physically checking each passenger.

Anyway, this one is sad and a lot of things failed her. RIP
    Good points, all. I didn't realize the parents were on the ride with her, but of course they had to be, like you said, she was six years old. I can't imagine they didn't make sure she was buckled in because presumably, THEY were.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

This girl was failed by everybody all around. I can't imagine how terrified she must have been when she realized that she was in trouble. I just hope it was quick.

Thread Information