Thread: Alan Frazer (74) missing from Queens nursing home after director covered up his disappearance on 5/26/13

Alan Frazer (74) missing from Queens nursing home after director covered up his disappearance on 5/26/13

[IMG]http://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/654*368/frazer-missing-queens-nursing-home.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...210713571.html

The former director of a Queens nursing home was arrested Saturday for allegedly falsifying records to cover up that a resident who suffers from dementia was missing from the facility, according to the New York attorney general's office.

Juliet Clifford, the former director of Bishop Charles Waldo Maclean Episcopal Nursing, allegedly failed to call 911 to report that 74-year-old Alan Frazer was missing from the facility on May 26.

Frazer, who suffers from high blood pressure in addition to dementia, is still missing, officials said.

Clifford allegedly covered up the fact that Frazer was missing from the facility by initially telling investigators that he left against medical advice.

The day after Frazer went missing, Clifford allegedly removed notes from his medical records and instructed a staff member to falsely state in the his records that he left against medical advice. She also allegedly told staff members not to call the police. The facility eventually reported him missing on May 30, according to authorities.

Clifford was arrested on one count of endangering the welfare of an incompetent or physically disabled person in the first degree, one count of falsifying business records in the first degree, two counts of falsifying business records in the second degree and one count of willful violation of the health laws, according to the attorney general's office.

If Clifford is found guilty, she faces up to four years in prison, the attorney general's office said.

Frazer (pictured above) was last seen on Brookhaven Avenue and may have traveled to the Bronx, according to police

Anyone with information about his whereabouts is asked to call 1-800-346-3543.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    All over the news here, but they really need to be specific about what's going on. I initially thought the pic was of the arrested suspect, not the missing senior.

This is fucked up. How do people just disappear!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

We have missing elderly notifications on our highways/tollways all the time. I assume tho that they aren't missing from facilities but from private homes.
    I'm guessing the facility that man left doesn't have high enough security

And shady director as well
    Last edited by M Joy; 06-09-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M Joy View Post
    We have missing elderly notifications on our highways/tollways all the time. I assume tho that they aren't missing from facilities but from private homes.
    I'm guessing the facility that man left doesn't have high enough security

And shady director as well
    If the director had been honest from the beginning, the story might have been broadcast in a timely manner and the usual notification means might have played a part. Who knows how many people may have seen him, but since he 'wasn't missing' they didn't have a clue. Now it's been a couple of weeks, in steamy hot temperatures, for someone with dementia and other health issues. I would be surprised if they find him alive at this point. I think it's disgusting that the most the director can be penalized for is 4 years. If he turns up missing I think she should be charged with manslaughter. Relatives put their loved ones in the care of these health care professionals and expect that at the very least they will do their due diligence...not effectively send their relatives out to the slaughter. I'm so disgusted!

Whoa, that is terrible. How hard would it have been to alert the proper authorities? I mean, he could have been found right away!

I hope they find him soon and he is ok.

of course the nursing homes don't want to report it. they would go out of business. missing old people are so sad. i just saw a missing post on craigslist in my area for a lady who has been missing 72 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    of course the nursing homes don't want to report it. they would go out of business. missing old people are so sad. i just saw a missing post on craigslist in my area for a lady who has been missing 72 hours.
    There are notices all over Queens for some 17-year old Autistic kid. He looks Hispanic, so it won't get coverage. And he looked like a big dude too. Was coming from playing basketball or something. WHERE DO THESE PEOPLE GO!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    There are notices all over Queens for some 17-year old Autistic kid. He looks Hispanic, so it won't get coverage. And he looked like a big dude too. Was coming from playing basketball or something. WHERE DO THESE PEOPLE GO!?!
    right? it's not like someone stole them intentionally. you'd think after a certain amount of wandering, someone would take a moment to find out what was happening. i had a lady pull up in a car as i was walking my dog once and give me her number in case i spot her mom. it made me cry later that night. how scary!

i can only imagine they just end up dying somewhere? getting lost in the wilderness? the sewers? really... i don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    right? it's not like someone stole them intentionally. you'd think after a certain amount of wandering, someone would take a moment to find out what was happening. i had a lady pull up in a car as i was walking my dog once and give me her number in case i spot her mom. it made me cry later that night. how scary!

i can only imagine they just end up dying somewhere? getting lost in the wilderness? the sewers? really... i don't know.
    But that's the thing. They have to be somewhere. Even if they wandered there and drowned. I have seen dementia firsthand (it's the main reason I know old school phone numbers) and it's fucking tragic. And then they have moments of lucidity.

A lot of people older folks wander trying to get back to old memories. So you can kind of retrace their steps. Ugh, this shit is just so sad.
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 06-09-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: proper tense

where does you're first hand come from, ron? my great-grandmother had alzheimer's and i guess that skips a generation. my mom has always talked about how scared she is that it's something that might happen to her and it's made me nervous about it as well. it sounds so horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    But that's the thing. They have to be somewhere. Even if they wanted there and drown. I have seen dementia firsthand (it's the main reason I know old school phone numbers) and it's fucking tragic. And then they have moments of lucidity.

A lot of people older folks wander trying to get back to old memories. So you can kind of retrace their steps. Ugh, this shit is just so sad.
    Well, around here they wander out into the woods and some hunter stumbles on them 4 months later. In the city I suppose they wander into a homeless shelter, fall in the river or something, or like Chandra Levy end up in a park under some bushes... used to be they'd end up in the morgue a county over and no one would put things together, hopefully that's less common now.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Queens has so many cemeteries maybe he wondered into one off those. Your right Ron if the staff had reported him right away, they would have had a better chance of finding him. My best friends father has suffered with this for over 3 years and he constantly takes off all his clothes and goes outside in the middle if the night. It's just so sad.

It's a unfortunate fact that nursing homes r not known for supreme care. This should b anyone's last resort for a ageing parent because very few deliver the care at the capacity that relatives would want & expect. Making sure the patients r safe & not wandering off should b the least of a family's worry.

For many of families this is a needed resource. If so. A family member if possible should b making pop n unexpected visits & wkly visits should b mandatory. They need 2 b aware that there is a family that gives a "Dam" . Sad but true!

http://www.1st-care.org
    Rina Riccobono

Thread Information