Thread: Teaneck, NJ man tries to sell his spot in Heaven on eBay, bids reach $100K

Teaneck, NJ man tries to sell his spot in Heaven on eBay, bids reach $100K

The hilarious thing about this is, i thought that Jewish people didnt believe in heaven or hell? or is it just no hell?
    Anyway eBay pulled the post for being "non-tangible"

teaneck.patch.com/articles/teaneck-man-tries-selling-his-spot-in-heaven-report-says

http://blogs.forward.com/forward-thi...wish-ebay-guy/

Ari Mandel says heaven can wait, eBay can keep its rules ? and one deep-pocketed online bidder can keep his or her $100,000.

The Jewish man who sparked a frenzied day of bidding by auctioning off a prime spot in heaven ? a spiral that reached six figures before the online giant shut it down ? insists the whole thing was a big joke.

?Disappointed? No. It was a joke that ran away from me, and sure, why not?? said Mandel, 31, of Teaneck, N.J. ?When it reached $100,000 I didn?t really expect to get that money.?

?It was nice to fantasize,? he added. ?But I didn?t think it was going to happen.?

Mandel said he had no idea his auction would turn into an internet sensation.

?I?m not a master prankster,? he said. ?This idea just popped in my head and I jumped on it.?

Some in the ultra-Orthodox world apparently believed he was mocking their faith. But Mandel says his auction, which was peppered with references to Yiddish phrases and referred to common Jewish beliefs, was a good-natured joke.

?To those of you who took this seriously, chill out. It was just a joke,? he said. ?Whether or not you?re a believer in this sort of thing, chill out.?

Mandel was raised in an ultra-Orthodox community in upstate New York but left the community about seven years ago. He is now a divorced father of one child and a student who works as a part-time translator.

He posted ?My Portion in Olam Habaah (Heaven)? on eBay Tuesday morning asking for an opening bid of a modest 99 cents.

He explained that he was sure to secure a spot in the hereafter because of his good deeds carried out over the years. He even offered to return the successful bidder?s cash if he fell off the wagon.

Within a few hours, people were bidding several dollars. Then hundreds of dollars. Then, things really got crazy. In a frenzied hour late in the afternoon, the top bid skyrocketed to $99,900.

Around the same time, eBay started getting complaints from people offended by the auction. As Mandel understands it, ultra-Orthodox internet users posted the item on online bulletin boards, sparking anger in the community.

?There were countless people offended,? Mandel said. ?People sent me screen shots of people having reported it.?

An eBay representative called Mandel to inform him that the auction violated a rule prohibiting putting ?non-tangible? items up for bids. The site warned him not to try to repost the item, and pulled down the listing from its web site.

Within seconds, the $100,000 bid was gone what looked like a six-figure bonanza turned into a internet mirage.

Mandel says he?s not upset about losing out on a big payday.

?I had fun while it lasted, you know? It was just a little gag,? he said. ?Kept me busy for a day.?

As for the ultimate question, Mandel says he has no idea who might have bid $100,000 for his little slice of Jewish heaven.

?I have no clue,? he said. ?I didn?t have time to go into eBay all day, I was too busy talking to people here and everywhere else on the internet.?

Idiots. Tickets to heaven are like gym memberships. They're all stamped "non-transferable". & they only issue 144,000 (anyone wanna guess which "religion" I was unsuccessfully force fed??)

ETA The winner will receive a hailstone as big as a sheep (we just have to wait for them to fall, but they will! They will!!!)
    Last edited by blighted star; 05-29-2013 at 08:40 AM.

LOL Jehovah's Witness! What do I win?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockabillychick View Post
    LOL Jehovah's Witness! What do I win?
    Damn you're FAST!! Not you too??

Please see above post's edit for your prize. You may need to be a little patient, my mother stopped her yearly predictions when they were duh duh DUH ... WRONG!!! for 19 consecutive years.

Why do I never think of these things first?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Damn you're FAST!! Not you too??

Please see above post's edit for your prize. You may need to be a little patient, my mother stopped her yearly predictions when they were duh duh DUH ... WRONG!!! for 19 consecutive years.
    LMAO. I just had them knocking on the door. I feel bad so I actually talk to them once in awhile.
    They can keep the prize I am driving the bus to the other place!

ETA: I know greeneyes! I was reading the article and thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockabillychick View Post
    LMAO. I just had them knocking on the door. I feel bad so I actually talk to them once in awhile.
    They can keep the prize I am driving the bus to the other place!

ETA: I know greeneyes! I was reading the article and thinking the same thing.
    A hailstone as big as a sheep could be quite helpful on your way down??

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    lol i thought that too - but he didnt get the money because ebay stopped the bidding.
    however, my mind goes back to the guy that sold "ass-kickings" on ebay. I think the title was "I will kick your ass" - I would def do that. hahahaa

found it! http://www.othercinema.com/otherzine...4/auction.html

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    He was getting trolled. I bet the user that was winning was fathomocock69 or some shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Thread Information