Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: So, my fucking dog...

if your dog was biting or maiming or killing whatever it could get it's mouth on, i would consider euthanasia but 1 rabbit? no way. my friend's rottweiler had a series of attacks and issues with her temper as she got older and the dysplasia complications grew worse. in a matter of two weeks she attacked the mailman, bit my friend's dad while he was working in their yard, and murdered the cat. it sucks but they put her down after the cat. sure, she was just being a dog but the attacks got too frequent for their comfort. one rabbit attack doesn't seem like grounds for the death penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

I have a yellow lab, and she is the greatest! We got her when the kids were 4 & 8, and she has always been great with them. In my opinion, labs are the best family dogs. My dog hasnever met a rabbit so I can't say for sure if she would kill one, but knowing how she is, I doubt it. If anything, I can see her trying to play with it and maybe being too rough and hurt it or kill it by accident. Every dog is different though. I wouldn't consider getting rid of your dog. Even though you haven't had him for a long time, kids can really become attached to them and as long as he never hurts any of your kids, I wouldn't see any reason to.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
    and get a new vet....I have never heard of a vet saying that to someone...Unless the pet was sick or injured
    I agree! Get a new vet. I can't believe your vet would even say that....I could see it if maybe your dog had attacked another person, but not a rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

My cat ate my hamster when I was little.

That's what animals do, mannng.

I'm sorry for your kiddo (and the bunny). Just to warn you, kids are weird and individual. She may be perfectly fine with this forever, or be emo, like my kid, and start crying 6 months after the dog died (he was fine about it at the time). I'm hoping she just moves on. Bowie's perfectly normal and the cat ate the hamster. I'd keep the dog.

I would applaud your thought of taking some classes with the dog. But no amount of classes will convince some dogs to leave the prey animals alone, dogs will be dogs. Dogs first earned their keep by killing vermin and by catching and killing things like rabbits and birds and bringing them home for the humans. I used to have guinea pigs, but wouldn't consider them now that I have schnauzers. Just too incompatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Sounds like you've got the right approach, Whiskey! That vet sounds hella strange, I would get a new one immediately.

Nic brings up a point too... It's likely the dog went to "play" with the rabbit as well - rather than a "RABBIT. KILL." mentality. Though, either one would be perfectly normal.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Dog wanted to kill it for the same reason dogs kill squirrels, possums, and other vermin that come on the property. It's their nature. Nothing wrong with it. It's when it gets aggressive with other, larger animals you have to be concerned. Otherwise you just keep them apart. I'm not going to try and get a cat and a bird to live in harmony. It's been known to happen but most of the time, the cat's going to be a cat.

Oh, she's going to classes because she doesn't listen. Haha :)

Thanks for everyone's advice and concern!

Ugh. Comment about the classes was for puzzld. Still can't quote.

She doesn't need to learn to listen. You need to learn to lead.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    She doesn't need to learn to listen. You need to learn to lead.
    Wise, you are.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    My dog killed my ferret. I still have him. He didn't even mean to, they were just playing but he was so much bigger. Shit happens.
    Your vet is an idiot. Get a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Okay, puzzld, like I said this is my first dog. This is why we are enrolling in classes. This is why I asked the questions i did. I don't know anything about dogs except what I have learned from Google and my (idiot) vet. The dog and I both need to learn a few things from the classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
    and get a new vet....I have never heard of a vet saying that to someone...Unless the pet was sick or injured
    Just happened to be at a party tonight with a Vet. Told her your story - also included what your vet said. Immediately she said that was fucking bullshit. Dog was being dog. Don't kill her. If you can't trust her, it's one thing - but don't kill her. She agrees - new vet is best.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGirl View Post
    Okay, puzzld, like I said this is my first dog. This is why we are enrolling in classes. This is why I asked the questions i did. I don't know anything about dogs except what I have learned from Google and my (idiot) vet. The dog and I both need to learn a few things from the classes.
    I think Puzz was joking, but to be honest a lot of training classes is training for the human as much if not more than the dogs. Dogs can pick up the training fairly quickly, but the humans need to know how and when to apply it - and to apply it consistently.

echo! ditch the vet, not the dog... the vet's an ass hole. maybe he was suggesting it because you seemed panicked and that's what he thought you wanted to hear, but even so, it seems to show a lack of compassion and understanding of animals. not what you want in a vet.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Poor doggie thought he was contributing to the family by presenting a gift(and possibly 'saving' your daughter from this 'evil' rabbit!)
    It sucks that the rabbit fell victim, but it is dog behavior.

IF you wanted to get another small animal(rabbit, guinea pig, hamster, etc) please keep it caged even around the dog.

You could possibly train it to not kill the small animals, but it's not really something you can program, it has a very small success rate.

You can't yell at them after they have done it because they will think(along with cats) that you are not satisfied enough with the gift they gave you or how they contributed to the family, so they will go off and find something else to kill and bring to you.

We didn't learn this for quite a while and we would always yell or discipline our cats and dogs for bringing in birds, rabbits, squirrels, etc and they would always bring back more! Once we stopped yelling and just 'accepted' the gift, threw it away without making a big deal, they stopped bringing in dead things.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post

I think Puzz was joking, but to be honest a lot of training classes is training for the human as much if not more than the dogs. Dogs can pick up the training fairly quickly, but the humans need to know how and when to apply it - and to apply it consistently.
    I agree, I don't think Puzz was trying to be snotty or anything. It's actually great advice. Being very assertive with a dog will almost promise obedience.

My mom had a pit/shepherd mix that was very high energy and wild because my mom let her "rule the roost". When I came over, I could give that dog one look and she'd lay down. She knew I didn't take shit, and she handed me the alpha card. Sounds crazy, but dogs are really that simple.

There are many different training methods, and not all will work for you and your dog. Do some research and see if you can determine what will suit you both. I agree about being the pack leader. You don't have to be a bully to do it, but it is extremely important that your dog understands who is in control. I have been working with trainers and my GS's for decades and find what worked with one didn't work with another. Keep trying, and hang in there. The training gets easier as you and the dog get accustomed to it.

And this is why I love this thread. I have to use a technique with food to introduce my dog to people. What was once an inconvenience has become an ordeal. I used cheese, then ground chicken, but he seems to be allergic to everything. I need to socialize him more but don't know what to use for a tempting treat. I have regular cooked chicken for him, but he is so broken out and on meds, so I'm holding off on trying. Any ideas?

We'll it wasn't clear to me if you were having someone train you dog or going to classes where you learn to train the dog yourself. Any decent trainer can have almost any dog trained to behaved reasonably well in a few weeks if they devote themselves to it. Then having trained the clients dog, you send them back to there family and you teach the family members the commands that the dogs knows and boom... good dog? No not so much. If the family is consistent and dedicated, they may be able to "manage" the dog using the tools they have but they don't have the tools they need to "grow" their relationship with their dog.

When the owner takes classes with the dog, (in good classes) it's more about teaching the owner how to teach the dog. Then, no matter what comes up, you have a tool box full of tools that help you really teach the dog what you want him to know. HUGE difference. The dog may well not learn anything in class, and it doesn't matter, as long as the human learns what they need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post

Exactly. And joking? Well sort of. Being a good trainer takes an understanding of dogs (or kids or cats or whatever) You have to be able to anticipate what the dog might do next. And it takes a real love for dogs (frankly, I'm not getting that vibe from WG, but tone is so hard over the Internet... she seems to be blaming the dog for what happened and expecting the dog to shape up or ship out, and it just not going to happen that way. If your dog doesn't do what he should, it's on you, not the dog.)

Let me share a story... I have dogs. I've never been without dogs except for one hideous 6 month period in 4th grade... Usually multiple dogs. I've been going to training classes pretty much consistently for the last 20 years or so, sometimes as a teacher, but always as a student... what can these dogs teach me? So last night I noticed that the moon was glorious and I ran out to take a picture. When I came back, one of the dogs had eaten my snack. The dogs fault or mine? Discuss with the class...

Anyway. I'm probably misreading WG, she's asking for advice... but just in case my heavy handed point needs beat a little harder... it's never the dogs fault.

...killed my daughter's rabbit.

I was at work, little one was with her dad. He was playing XBox in the living room while she played in her room. (She's 4) Well, she was not in her room, but the spare room where the rabbit cage was. LO let the rabbit out and then apparently the dog came in the room and snapped the rabbit's neck - in front of my daughter. She left the room to tell her dad that "the rabbit died" and he came in and saw that the rabbits head was facing the opposite direction it should be. The dog is standing there as proud as can be. Her dad is freaking out, she goes and gets grandpa who is fixing our fence and grandpa comes in and takes care of the situation. LO is talking about it A LOT but her preK teacher says that's normal and she's going to be fine. (I would not be fine. :-|)

Anyway, the dog is a female black lab. She is about 20 months old. We got her on April 5th of this year. We don't know a lot about her. She was a rescue. Should I keep her? I don't know what to do!
    Maybe the vet gave that advice because the dog killed the 4 year old's rabbit in front of the kid. The child should be the main concern here. Was she attached to the rabbit? How does she get along with the dog? Dogs are pack animals and sometimes they see small kids as part of the pack, and try to establish themselves has higher up in the pack. I got that from my daughter's pediatrician after my dog snatched food from her hand when she was 4. Labs are great dogs, and good with kids, but I can see why the vet thought this may be a dangerous situation.
    Last edited by I doubt it; 05-25-2013 at 09:56 AM.

The thing about having a dog, too, is that I have never had more obnoxious self-described 'experts' come and give me backass advice than when my mom got my roommate a puppy. I've had dogs since I was like 2 so I know what works for me, but everyone is going to tell a first time pet owner a bunch of stupid crap just like all those dumb cunts who stop pregnant women and tell them all about being pregnant. Don't be intimidated by it, is my advice. People were telling my roommate all kinds of crazy, dumb stuff.

:-| I'm sorry I don't have such an overwhelming love for dogs that to can sense it over the Internet lol.

And you're right. I am obviously not a "dog person", but I do love my dog! Did I ever say something about her shaping up or shipping out? No. I didn't. I came here to ask for advice about the dog because I am still learning about dogs! Why did getting rid of her ever come up? Because my vet suggested I euthanize her.

oh right, my daughter wasn't really attached to the rabbit. However, she is really attached to the dog and they are great with each other. She is doing fine. She hasn't asked any questions about the rabbit today. My daughter is my main concern. She seems to be okay. :)

:-| I'm sorry I don't have such an overwhelming love for dogs that to can sense it over the Internet lol.

And you're right. I am obviously not a "dog person", but I do love my dog! Did I ever say something about her shaping up or shipping out? No. I didn't. I came here to ask for advice about the dog because I am still learning about dogs! Why did getting rid of her ever come up? Because my vet suggested I euthanize her.

oh right, my daughter wasn't really attached to the rabbit. However, she is really attached to the dog and they are great with each other. She is doing fine. She hasn't asked any questions about the rabbit today. My daughter is my main concern. She seems to be okay. :)
    i think some people were a little thrown by the first dog, new to the family, never again comment. a lot of people (ron excepted) on this forum tend to think that a dog (or other furbie) is part of the family.

i think it's great that you knew the vet's solution is out of line and are looking for other solutions.

i also think, getting a dog for the first time is similar to having a baby for the first time, or any other number of firsts. it can be hard, scary and frustrating. you can be tempted to give up. but most of us dog lovers know that those little ass holes grow on you until you could never imagine giving them up. regardless, dogs should be a lifetime pet.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Thread Information