Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: So, my fucking dog...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So, my fucking dog...

...killed my daughter's rabbit.

I was at work, little one was with her dad. He was playing XBox in the living room while she played in her room. (She's 4) Well, she was not in her room, but the spare room where the rabbit cage was. LO let the rabbit out and then apparently the dog came in the room and snapped the rabbit's neck - in front of my daughter. She left the room to tell her dad that "the rabbit died" and he came in and saw that the rabbits head was facing the opposite direction it should be. The dog is standing there as proud as can be. Her dad is freaking out, she goes and gets grandpa who is fixing our fence and grandpa comes in and takes care of the situation. LO is talking about it A LOT but her preK teacher says that's normal and she's going to be fine. (I would not be fine. :-|)

Anyway, the dog is a female black lab. She is about 20 months old. We got her on April 5th of this year. We don't know a lot about her. She was a rescue. Should I keep her? I don't know what to do!

Don't get another rabbit

In all seriousness, I would have suggested not rescuing a dog that you don't know anything about when you have a small child. This does not seem a good idea. I hate dogs though so I'm probably biased. Although I'm also not a fan of children.

yes you should keep her. She did not attack anyone and didn't get into a fight with another dog. Okac is going to hate me saying this: but to dogs, rabbits aren't pets - they're prey. Some small cats or kittens could fall into this category too, though less likely. I would estimate what happened is that your dog didn't understand this was a family member and she killed it so she could present it to you. Pets kill and bring back dead animals as gifts, this is most likely why she was so proud: it was a gift for you (versus 'look, I killed that, woohoo!')
    In the future if you have small animals I would be certain to introduce them to your dog in a safe manner. Leash her, and let her sniff. Hold the smaller (new) animal. If it's caged, let her smell it through the cage. If it's another rabbit, at some point introduce them by holding. But don't think they'll play. She needs to know this isn't prey to kill and gift.

But a major factor in whether to get rid of the dog: how is your daughter (and son for that matter) around her? Are they afraid? I don't think you have to worry about her, but you should make sure your kids feel ok.

eta: if you get another caged animal in the future make sure to have rules for care and handling that the kids know as to prevent something like this. No shit my sister went through multiple hamsters and though the cat was 'playing' with the hamster. It's a sick family joke at this point, especially after she talked about the cat taking a 'chunk' out of the latest hamster and it surviving (it's a survivor, like her.)
    Last edited by Miller22; 05-23-2013 at 11:31 PM.

The dog is fine with my daughter. She has never shown any aggression to her whatsoever. We have 2 cats that she's never gone after either, and she's spent plenty of time alone in the house with them. One of the cats sleeps on the back of a chair while the dog sleeps on the chair even. I don't leave LO alone with the dog ever. I wouldn't leave a kid alone with ANY dog. Her dad...well, you see how that day turned out...

Ugh. I can't quote on my phone.

This is my first dog. There won't be a second dog.

The LO does have rules regarding all of the animals. However, when her dad isn't enforcing them and I'm at work I guess it's kind of pointless, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGirl View Post
    Ugh. I can't quote on my phone.

This is my first dog. There won't be a second dog.

The LO does have rules regarding all of the animals. However, when her dad isn't enforcing them and I'm at work I guess it's kind of pointless, huh?
    to be fair, if you had a smaller animal like a hamster - your cat would likely have gone after it and killed it and not the dog. I'm just saying, this behavior isn't dogcentric.

It's a really awful situation to be in and I'm really sorry you're finding yourself in it. It sounds like you have a great ally in LO's teacher, so at least for the rest of the school year you'll know if there's any negative impact.

Are you and the kid's father still together? I ask because I can't really tell from the way you've described things.

Hey just a few hours ago, my dog had an opossum cornered down in the woods. She was barking in that high-pitched way to let me know I guess. I got her away from it, and I think it's okay, no blood and when I checked the area an hour later it was gone. But in the past, I think my dog has killed baby bunnies and stuff(I'm not sure, I don't really remember cause it was years ago and I was like a preteen I think), but it's not like she was doing this shit all the time. Oh man, but there was this one time, years ago, we found a squirrel tail in the yard, so she obviously ripped that sucker right off.

It's just what a lot of dogs and cats do. Predator instinct and stuff, and trying to please. Just do what Miller said, teach them that your little critters ain't prey ya know? Dogs and cats can be great, as long as you don't have serious asshole types like most of the cats my mum has.

Now featuring creatures. Creature Feature's Avatar
    There is a reason dogs love rabbit sized stuffed animals to chew and play with. The dog is fine. Its not aggression, its nature. Miller is dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by Creature Feature View Post
    There is a reason dogs love rabbit sized stuffed animals to chew and play with. The dog is fine. Its not aggression, its nature. Miller is dead on.
    I agree completely. The dog didn't bite your daughter, so why would getting rid of the dog even be the solution on the table?

Sorry.. It's a major pet peeve of mine when people bring animals into their home, and the second that animal does something slightly animalistic, the solution is to get rid of it.

It's a Labrador Retriever, which is why it was proud and thought it did something good. A lot of people get Labs because they're such renowned "good dogs", but they're actually a lot of maintenance. They have high energy and are very smart. If they're not trained and exercised regularly, they can be a handful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    It's a Labrador Retriever,
    My dog will only chase people and animals if they run from him. And now I have to stop and say, "Duh" to myself, cause he is a Yellow Lab Retriever.

Thanks Shins.

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Quote Originally Posted by Creature Feature View Post
    Yes, especially the kind that squeak. My German Shepherd co-exists with cats very well, but right after he eats dinner he tries to hump my neutered male cat. I don't know what's up with that, my dog is also neutered. It's funny and disgusting at the same time. My cat seems to like the attention. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellJett View Post
    Yes, especially the kind that squeak. My German Shepherd co-exists with cats very well, but right after he eats dinner he tries to hump my neutered male cat. I don't know what's up with that, my dog is also neutered. It's funny and disgusting at the same time. My cat seems to like the attention. Ugh.
    Dogs hump to show dominance.

Still funny though.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Dogs hump to show dominance.

Still funny though.
    It's the "after dinner" issue that I don't get. Every night, right after he eats. My ex has our Jack Russell Terrier male who, with all of his 15 pounds of might, used to hump one of my male Shepherds. It's the size difference that makes it so comical. This Jack Russell has balls of steel even though he is neutered. I adoped him from the HS in 2001, and he wasn't neutered yet. Made that happen in short order. He tries to dominate the dog I have now with little success, but he's getting up there in age. We wanted his name to rhyme with Humper or Fucker and decided on Tucker.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellJett View Post
    It's the "after dinner" issue that I don't get. Every night, right after he eats. My ex has our Jack Russell Terrier male who, with all of his 15 pounds of might, used to hump one of my male Shepherds. It's the size difference that makes it so comical. This Jack Russell has balls of steel even though he is neutered. I adoped him from the HS in 2001, and he wasn't neutered yet. Made that happen in short order. He tries to dominate the dog I have now with little success, but he's getting up there in age. We wanted his name to rhyme with Humper or Fucker and decided on Tucker.
    We had it explained to us that in addition to dominance, humping can often initiate play. This could be what's going on.

Our lab mix has humped our cat on multiple ocassion, sadly he usually gets the wrong end.

Doggies.

Everyone has already said what I would have said. Keep the puppy, because it is a puppy, doing puppy things like catching prey and being proud. No more small animals unless it's a consistently caged animal and not left alone with the doggie. Same thing with shoes and sandals, you cannot leave them on the floor anymore.

Patience, training and understanding you have a smart doggie who requires a lot of attention will get you far.

Thumper.

Thumper.

That was one of the top picks. It got turned into Tucker, and it suits him well. I come up with names for my pets in the most random way usually. Tucker humped so much, and I had to accept input from my ex. I named a GS Kramer, and I got a cat soon after and named him Newman. Newman is still around. The poor dog I have now had so many names before I got him. He was adopted once and brought back to the Rescue Group. He was Hudson, then Jeremy, so I referred to him as "J" until I actually went to pick him up. I spit out the name Jett for no reason at all, so he is Jett.

(Sorry, again, I can't quote!)

Shins, the reason I asked about getting rid of her is because when this happened I called the vet to ask if I should be panicking lol. This is my first dog! I am trying to learn. :) Her vet told me to have her euthanized. :-|

I felt that was drastic, so obviously she is still here.

Just so all of you know, I didn't just grab this dog up because she was cute and think she was just going to sleep in the living room and be decorative. She gets plenty of exercise, she loves going to the park and loves the water. I have a hug back yard for her to run around in. My parents live two houses down and being their adorable Mastador over to play all the time (they get along great).

She just got the last of her booster shots and will soon be getting spayed. I am looking into training courses for her.

Shins, the reason I asked about getting rid of her is because when this happened I called the vet to ask if I should be panicking lol. This is my first dog! I am trying to learn. :) Her vet told me to have her euthanized. :-|

Just so all of you know, I didn't just grab this dog up because she was cute and think she was just going to sleep in the living room and be decorative. She gets plenty of exercise, she loves going to the park and loves the water. I have a hug back yard for her to run around in. My parents live two houses down and being their adorable Mastador over to play all the time (they get along great).

She just got the last of her booster shots and will soon be getting spayed. I am looking into training courses for her.
    This is all great! It sounds like you have a great grasp on what you need to be doing in terms of her care (I'm saying this because you keep saying you've never owned a dog, I want you to know you're doing great!)

I would, however, recommend a new vet. Hearing that the vet said 'kill her' when she acted like a dog would naturally act is fucked as shit and worries the hell out of me. It reveals a lack of knowledge of animal behavior that this vet has. If you can find another vet, I would go there. You want a vet that will talk to you and give you options. If one of your animals is sick you want them to tell you all of the options, not just suggest death. I fear this will be the case with this vet:( I could be wrong, but yeah.

When you do training, I highly suggest everyone in the family goes. Training only works if it's consistent in the family. Sounds like Dad isn't always on the same page and maybe this will be a wake up call for him?

This is all great! It sounds like you have a great grasp on what you need to be doing in terms of her care (I'm saying this because you keep saying you've never owned a dog, I want you to know you're doing great!)

I would, however, recommend a new vet. Hearing that the vet said 'kill her' when she acted like a dog would naturally act is fucked as shit and worries the hell out of me. It reveals a lack of knowledge of animal behavior that this vet has. If you can find another vet, I would go there. You want a vet that will talk to you and give you options. If one of your animals is sick you want them to tell you all of the options, not just suggest death. I fear this will be the case with this vet:( I could be wrong, but yeah.

When you do training, I highly suggest everyone in the family goes. Training only works if it's consistent in the family. Sounds like Dad isn't always on the same page and maybe this will be a wake up call for him?

Wow.. that is drastic. I would consider a new vet. That line of thinking would concern me considering the dog is doing what comes naturally. Although I would be upset, I wouldn't have a issue with it unless she went after your kid or ripped the rabbit to shreds.

I have a yellow lab and they are pretty awesome dogs. She plays with one of our cats, but is so gentle with her. They definitely need their exercise. This winter, the wind chill was unbearable, so Molly wasn't getting her walks everyday and she turned into an asshole for awhile!

Quote Originally Posted by Trahnse View Post
    Wow.. that is drastic. I would consider a new vet.That line of thinking would concern me considering the dog is doing what comes naturally.
    Seriously. Cats kill critters all the time! Does the vet say the same thing. What a strange vet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

and get a new vet....I have never heard of a vet saying that to someone...Unless the pet was sick or injured

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
    and get a new vet....I have never heard of a vet saying that to someone...Unless the pet was sick or injured
    I agree! Get a new vet. I can't believe your vet would even say that....I could see it if maybe your dog had attacked another person, but not a rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Excuse all of the errors. I'm on a phone and it's "correcting" things for me.

Thread Information