Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Network/Computer questions thread

Network/Computer questions thread

If you have a question on how to set up a wifi network, local area network or just general computer questions, please post to this thread! I will try to help as soon as I can and maybe others will chime in. If it is a question about MDS functionality, I will try to help or at least steer you in the right direction. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I find it hilarious that YOU are acting all high and mighty toward us when you're posting on here just like anyone else and in addition, defending a murderer. A child murderer, at that. Go fuck a Popsicle.

I would have had a question for you a few days ago. My problem seems to have resolved itself... I just set up Time Warner cable internet in my new apartment. I got the Wifi going but it kept dropping from my iPad and iPhone. When I tried to reconnect it would say "Unable to connect to M Joy"

I haven't had any issues for the past couple of days. So I hope it is fixed. Do you know what could have caused it?

Quote Originally Posted by M Joy View Post
    I would have had a question for you a few days ago. My problem seems to have resolved itself... I just set up Time Warner cable internet in my new apartment. I got the Wifi going but it kept dropping from my iPad and iPhone. When I tried to reconnect it would say "Unable to connect to M Joy"

I haven't had any issues for the past couple of days. So I hope it is fixed. Do you know what could have caused it?
    It could be a couple of things but I find that apple products are a little finicky with their connections. I have had to go into wifi setup of my ipad as well as the iPhone and forget the connection and set it up as a new connection. How is your wifi set up? WEP, WPA or WPA2? The router can be the problem too. I've have plenty of problems with linksys, not so much with netgear and d-link. I run an Asus at the moment and have never had a problem since switching, plus, if your I internet service provider changes ip addresses like underwear, it is much more forgiving.

I find it hilarious that YOU are acting all high and mighty toward us when you're posting on here just like anyone else and in addition, defending a murderer. A child murderer, at that. Go fuck a Popsicle.

I have a laptop charger/battery question! My computer got to the point where i couldn't unplug it at all. The battery icon on the taskbar was drained even if it had been "charging" forever. That would be the battery not holding a charge right? Well after months of this, i looked down and all of a sudden the battery icon is full and i can unplug with no problems.

Is there an explanation for this?!? I googled but couldn't find anything. I just thought it was pretty weird to suddenly be normal again.

Quote Originally Posted by eliqueang View Post
    I have a laptop charger/battery question! My computer got to the point where i couldn't unplug it at all. The battery icon on the taskbar was drained even if it had been "charging" forever. That would be the battery not holding a charge right? Well after months of this, i looked down and all of a sudden the battery icon is full and i can unplug with no problems.

Is there an explanation for this?!? I googled but couldn't find anything. I just thought it was pretty weird to suddenly be normal again.
    ha, don't fuck with it. Perhaps, as they say in the industry, you are now "fully plugged in"

OR maybe you have a short in your charger. Try to replicate the issue with a different charger.

What make/model laptop? How old? By what you said, by being able to unplug it, does that mean it lasts as long as it did before when it was new? In my experience, if you do not use a laptop as it was intended the batteries tend to get overcharged. What I mean by that is, they need to get drained occasionally. If you keep it plugged in all the time, plan on the battery lasting a year or maybe a year and a half total before they become useless. I have a dell latitude that I purposely unplug and drain the battery about once a month and the battery has lasted now almost 3 years. As the battery dies, you will notice that the amount of time before it goes dead majorly decreases. It is also possible to have a cell in the battery go bad. Most laptops come with a 6-cell battery unless you specify when ordering. I have a 9-cell which lasts longer. The only minus to that is it takes longer to charge. Anyways, let me know if any of this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by faq_q View Post
    What make/model laptop? How old? By what you said, by being able to unplug it, does that mean it lasts as long as it did before when it was new? In my experience, if you do not use a laptop as it was intended the batteries tend to get overcharged. What I mean by that is, they need to get drained occasionally. If you keep it plugged in all the time, plan on the battery lasting a year or maybe a year and a half total before they become useless. I have a dell latitude that I purposely unplug and drain the battery about once a month and the battery has lasted now almost 3 years. As the battery dies, you will notice that the amount of time before it goes dead majorly decreases. It is also possible to have a cell in the battery go bad. Most laptops come with a 6-cell battery unless you specify when ordering. I have a 9-cell which lasts longer. The only minus to that is it takes longer to charge. Anyways, let me know if any of this helps you.
    Batteries indeed get overcharged. On my android cell, I use Macropinch Battery to see the condition of my battery and find out temperature, volts etc as well as find out what is draining it. In My cell I replaced the stock battery with one from Anker and it made a huge difference. $9 on Amazon. Way better than the OEM shizzz.

Also, how many processes are you running stock? Shit will eat up your CPU and your juice. FAQ is right, overcharging your shit is bad too.

If your charger is plugged and but you do not see an indication that your device is getting charged that you are not getting a charge. Could be the input where the charger plugs in, or the charger. If you see intermittent performance , like when it sits a certain way, it could still be both but probably a component of your charger cable. Do you have another charging cable, like maybe the car version, where the problem does;t happen?

Quote Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
    Batteries indeed get overcharged. On my android cell, I use Macropinch Battery to see the condition of my battery and find out temperature, volts etc as well as find out what is draining it. In My cell I replaced the stock battery with one from Anker and it made a huge difference. $9 on Amazon. Way better than the OEM shizzz.

Also, how many processes are you running stock? Shit will eat up your CPU and your juice. FAQ is right, overcharging your shit is bad too.
    the battery was 9 or the thingy you're talking about to measure shit was?

First off thank you so much for a response! It's a hp pavilion g (never again.) and its just hitting 3 years. I think the charging stuff started to happen this past fall. Honestly i do keep it plugged it, i never think anything of it..but now i know!

If your charger is plugged and but you do not see an indication that your device is getting charged that you are not getting a charge. Could be the input where the charger plugs in, or the charger. If you see intermittent performance , like when it sits a certain way, it could still be both but probably a component of your charger cable. Do you have another charging cable, like maybe the car version, where the problem does;t happen?
    I've tried sitting it different ways and playing with the input but i dont notice a change.

shhhhhhhhhh its still working.........

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    the battery was 9 or the thingy you're talking about to measure shit was?
    The battery, again for my cell was from Anker. It doubled my cell phone life.
    http://www.amazon.com/1550mAh-Batter...for+mytouch+4g

The macropinch battery measure was free.

As far a charger for your lap top looks like it's this $10 part.

http://www.amazon.com/dm4-1062NR-dm4.../dp/B00763XXEO

Battery is $15

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-G6-1A...ef=pd_sim_pc_2

Those Android phones drain battery very fast. I've owned like 6 of them, the most recent is the Galaxy S III. That screen just loves to suck down the battery life. I run an iPhone 5 for daily use just because it seems to hold juice longer, not because I am a fan. I personally like the Android OS better. Which one do you have PCP777?

Is there a battery that can extend the life for a Galaxy S II?

Quote Originally Posted by rebkas View Post
    A quick Google search brought this up. I'm not sure if there are different batteries for ones that run on other networks though. Hope this helps!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3500mAh-Exte...item3f19e5daf7

Those Android phones drain battery very fast. I've owned like 6 of them, the most recent is the Galaxy S III. That screen just loves to suck down the battery life. I run an iPhone 5 for daily use just because it seems to hold juice longer, not because I am a fan. I personally like the Android OS better. Which one do you have PCP777?
    I have an old MT4G which is still a good phone, I love the wireless hotspot at no extra charge, comes in handy on the boat and it's a 4G phone.

This is the same brand I put in my MT4G which really made a difference for me, read the reviews and at $9 it's a no brainer.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-19...pr_product_top

I have an old MT4G which is still a good phone, I love the wireless hotspot at no extra charge, comes in handy on the boat and it's a 4G phone.

This is the same brand I put in my MT4G which really made a difference for me, read the reviews and at $9 it's a no brainer.

Sweet! I take my iPhone on the boat but never can get data in the desert! The lakes have spotty cell coverage in the coves. I bought a LifeProof case and it works fantastic.

DONE!

I would love to be able to go all day w/o having to plug in -- I don't even listen to music on it or anything.... I have tried turning everything off and stuff (task killer), but ... we'll see!

THANKS GUYS!

DONE!

I would love to be able to go all day w/o having to plug in -- I don't even listen to music on it or anything.... I have tried turning everything off and stuff (task killer), but ... we'll see!

THANKS GUYS!
    Task Killers suck for newer android phones like yours.

Biggest power draw culprits are WIFI, GPS and of course your screen being lit. If you're not using WIFI or GPS turn them off. I have a convenient widget that came with the phone that has that has buttons for WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS ,SYNC and screen brightness. Most are toggle on/off, screen brightness is dim, medium, bright. My phone will easily make it through a full day without having to recharge it once I got the new battery.

Also the macropinch Battery app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ch.pearl&hl=en

Is very unobtrusive and has a nice battery % left for your top screen. You look through advanced and see is draining you and it will tell you hours and minutes since last charge, I get 26 sometimes.

Task Killers suck for newer android phones like yours.

Biggest power draw culprits are WIFI, GPS and of course your screen being lit. If you're not using WIFI or GPS turn them off. I have a convenient widget that came with the phone that has that has buttons for WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS ,SYNC and screen brightness. Most are toggle on/off, screen brightness is dim, medium, bright. My phone will easily make it through a full day without having to recharge it once I got the new battery.

Also the macropinch Battery app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ch.pearl&hl=en

Is very unobtrusive and has a nice battery % left for your top screen. You look through advanced and see is draining you and it will tell you hours and minutes since last charge, I get 26 sometimes.
    I think since gingerbread, the task management has been better for the Android phones. Froyo was a nightmare! I had that on the original Droid and man did it suck!

I think since gingerbread, the task management has been better for the Android phones. Froyo was a nightmare! I had that on the original Droid and man did it suck!
    I think I'm on froyo. I can't remember. How do I tell again? I won't give up my phone though. Fucker at the VZ store 'upgraded' me to a 'new' phone. Yeah. It was basically a downgrade. I bitched about the phone sucking so much my husband took it back that same night and made them put my number on my old phone. My husband uses the pantech as a game machine now.

I'll be getting the jellybean update this weekend. But I don't know what that means.

The stuff I've read says to keep wifi on to help keep the battery from draining....this is not true?

I keep bluetooth off and my screen timeout is low as well.

I am so tech-tard

I think I'm on froyo. I can't remember. How do I tell again? I won't give up my phone though. Fucker at the VZ store 'upgraded' me to a 'new' phone. Yeah. It was basically a downgrade. I bitched about the phone sucking so much my husband took it back that same night and made them put my number on my old phone. My husband uses the pantech as a game machine now.
    Go into settings and about phone. Gingerbread was version 2.3 I believe. Froyo 2.2. The newer Android phones are pretty awesome but with the screen size, they just eat battery life. I like my phone slim and don't want to have an extended battery. My iPhone makes it through a day of very hard use.

I'll be getting the jellybean update this weekend. But I don't know what that means.

The stuff I've read says to keep wifi on to help keep the battery from draining....this is not true?

I keep bluetooth off and my screen timeout is low as well.

I am so tech-tard
    Oh, I always keep my wifi on because if you have email or FB on it, it takes more to reach out to cellular than to keep connected to wifi IMO. I keep BT and wifi on constantly. I find that if you want to make it through a day with Android, you just adjust screen brightness and awake time. By awake time, I mean the amount of time it will stay on without input.

yup, I have gingerbread - 2.3.4

My phone is always dying. I think I'll look into the battery PCP suggested. PCP - is that for all androids?

yup, I have gingerbread - 2.3.4

My phone is always dying. I think I'll look into the battery PCP suggested. PCP - is that for all androids?
    I'm not sure, what is the make/model? I think they are different for all because of the connections and the battery cover.

it's a driod global 2

Thread Information