Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Hanging' Live On Internet

'Hanging' Live On Internet

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1257252,00.html

'Hanging' Live On Internet
    Updated: 12:57, Friday March 23, 2007

A man who committed suicide while using a webcam on an internet messaging service has been named as Kevin Whitrick.

The body of the 42-year-old victim was found in Telford, Shropshire, after another internet user dialled 999.

Police were called to his address in Orleton Lane, Wellington, on Wednesday evening, but were unable to resuscitate him.

A spokesman has confirmed Mr Whitrick hung himself in front of his computer, while using a webcam in an internet chat room.

Detective Chief Inspector Jon Groves who is leading the investigation said: "Our enquiries to date have revealed that Mr Whitrick was using a chat room with a number of other people at the time of his death.

"We are liaising with the internet service provider at this time to contact other users who were online at the time of this incident and who may have information that could assist our enquiries.

"We are continuing to treat this death as unexplained and we are also working to ensure that witness support facilities are available to those who may have been affected by what they saw."

A post mortem is being carried out to establish the cause of death and the coroner has been informed.

Local MP for The Wrekin, Mark Pritchard, said: "If it is true then this is a very sad and rare incident.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

"Is it important that the alleged use of the internet in this death is fully investigated."

Police are asking anyone with information to contact police in Telford on 08457 444888.

Re: 'Hanging' Live On Internet

I was waiting for a name to be released prior to posting it here, I can't find anything more about it ....pffft.

42 seems a little older than the usual suicide by webcam but still.....

RIP anonymous man

I think if I ever do myself in.I'd make it a live event too. Not enough of that out there.
    i don&#39;t even give a care<br />Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one&#39;s definition of your life; define yourself

No video of it?&nbsp; Boooo. :-(

[quote author=jesserz44 link=topic=5917.msg247367#msg247367 date=1174663524]
    No video of it?&nbsp; Boooo. :-(
    [/quote]

Only happened on Wednesday there might be something soon, without a name or username I can't find any buzz about it online yet.

[quote author=miseryguts link=topic=5917.msg247375#msg247375 date=1174663731]
    Only happened on Wednesday there might be something soon, without a name or username I can't find any buzz about it online yet.
    [/quote]

We have a name!&nbsp; Kevin Neil Whitrick.

[quote author=jesserz44 link=topic=5917.msg247383#msg247383 date=1174663973]
    We have a name!&nbsp; Kevin Neil Whitrick.

[/quote]

Yep, says it in the first line of the article. :-P

[quote author=curiousaboutdeath link=topic=5917.msg247408#msg247408 date=1174665035]
    Yep, says it in the first line of the article. :-P
    [/quote]

Aaargh I just skimmed the article, other than the first line it's been the same one since this morning, got lazy ...

I searched youtube, ogrish, googlevideo, and haven't found anything yet.

Finally some more information:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...cam/article.do

British father's suicide broadcast to terrified chatroom

A father-of-two hanged himself live over the internet in Britain's first 'cyber suicide'.

Kevin Whitrick, 42, took his life after being goaded by dozens of chatroom users from across the world who initially believed he was play acting.

But as they watched in horror, Mr Whitrick climbed onto a chair, smashed through a ceiling and then hanged himself with a piece of rope.

Kevin Neil Whitrick, 42, was found dead by police in Wellington, after being alerted by a web user who is thought to have watched in horror as the man harmed himself

Stunned by what they had witnessed - broadcast on a popular chatroom website used by millions of people across the globe - chatroom users immediately contacted the police.

Officers rushed to the electrician's home in the Wellington area of Shropshire within minutes, smashing down the door to try to save him.

But despite their efforts to save him, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Last night it emerged that Mr Whitrick had been suffering from depression after being badly injured in a car crash last year.

Friends said that the breakdown of his marriage with wife, Paula - with whom he had 12-year-old twins - and the recent death of his father had also been causing him some distress.

Mr Whitrick told users of web-chat site PalTalk what he was going to do two hours before he killed himself on Wednesday night.

He was logged on with around 50 other users to a special &quot;insult&quot; chatroom where people &quot;have a go at each other&quot;.

Today distraught users of the site said that they felt sick and had previously thought the web broadcast was a hoax.

They confirmed Mr Whitrick told friends in the internet chat room of his plans to kill himself but, thinking he was joking, they egged him on telling him to make sure the his webcam was on.

Mr Whitrick, using the user-name Shyboy-17-1, switched on his webcam and went ahead with his grisly plan.

One anonymous user said: &quot;He tied a rope around an uncovered ceiling joist and stood on the chair as he tied the rope around his neck.

&quot;Some of us chatroom users, talking to Kevin over text chat, microphones and video tried to convince him to step down, but others egged him on telling him to get on with it.

&quot;We just couldn't believe he was doing it - it was surreal.

&quot;One chatter said: 'F***ing do it, get on with it, get it round your neck. For F***'s sake he can't even do this properly'.&quot;

Another user who did not wish to be named said: &quot;When Kevin stepped off the chair and was left dangling, the mood in the chatroom changed and people began to realise what they had just seen.

&quot;We started asking if anyone knew where he lived and saying they should contact the police.

&quot;I think someone contacted the police in their local area but sadly no one could get to him in time.&quot;

Shortly after, moderators on the site closed the feed from Kevin's webcam.

'Considerate and kind'

Mr Whitrick had been living in his flat, a converted house, after splitting from his wife Paula two years ago.

The couple, who married in 1988, had 12-year-old twins who live with their mother in a three-bedroom, semi-detached home close by.

They are said to have visited their dad, who worked at family firm RMW electrical services in Shrewsbury, at weekends. His older brother Malcolm Whitrick is an associate director at Shrewsbury Town Football Club.

Kevin Whitrick's sparse profile on the paltalk website

Last night Mrs Whitrick said: &quot;Kevin was a loving father and family man. He was always the life and soul of the party, an extremely considerate and kind person and loved by many, he will be so sadly missed by us all.

&quot;Unfortunately Kevin had a very serious car accident in July 2006 and had never fully recovered back to full health.&quot;

Mr Whitrick's stepmother Betty Whitrick, 74, told the Mail: 'Kevin was a bubbly kind of person, full of fun. I just don't know why he would do this.

&quot;He lived alone but he always cheerful when I saw him. I knew he was very into computers and he also used to like playing bowls.&quot;

Detective Chief Inspector Jon Groves who is leading the investigation said: &quot;Our enquiries to date have revealed that Mr Whitrick was using a chat room with a number of other people at the time of his death.

&quot;We are liasing with the internet service provider at this time to contact other users who were online at the time of this incident and who may have information that could assist our enquiries.

&quot;We are also working to ensure that witness support facilities are available to those who may have been affected by what they saw.&quot;

Sharon Atwal, who works in a cornershop opposite Mr Whitrick's flat, described him as &quot;subdued&quot; the last time she saw him.

She said: &quot;Every night he'd take eight cans of Boddington's bitter from the fridge and re-stock it with the cans from the shelf. He always seemed quite cheerful.

&quot;On Wednesday night, though, he didn't seem himself and it was the first night that he did not re-stock the fridge. It was as if he knew he wouldn't be coming back.

&quot;He always struck me as very happy, he was friendly and had two perfect kids. I cannot believe he has done this.&quot;

Her brother Bobby added: &quot;Kevin has lived in the flat for the past year and I have seen him every day without fail.

&quot;Last week, he told me about his chat room. He was excited and said he had set it up himself. He said he had been speaking to people in Australia on his webcam.

&quot;His two children used to visit at weekends. He had a very good relationship with them and always gave them lots of money to buy sweets.&quot;

The case appears to echo that of Brandon Vedas, a 21 year-old from Phoenix, Arizona, who committed suicide online using a mix of alcohol and prescription medication.

In that case people in the chat room egged the young man on, while others tried desperately to find his address.

Local MP for the Wrekin, Mark Pritchard, said: &quot;This is a very sad and rare incident. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

&quot;It is important that the use of the internet in this death is fully investigated.&quot;
    Last edited by Olivia; 02-17-2017 at 05:22 PM.

I found this page in google when I did a search for his username but I can't translate it:

http://espanol.groups.yahoo.com/group/iyeclub/messages/1?viscount=100

Here is his profile on paltalk.com

http://people.paltalk.com/people/webapp/search/index.wmt?search=nickname&amp;view=basic&amp;nickn ame=Shyboy_17_1

his nickname is Shyboy_17_1

Still no video yet.&nbsp; But I'm looking.

[quote author=curiousaboutdeath link=topic=5917.msg247637#msg247637 date=1174673646]
    I found this page in google when I did a search for his username but I can't translate it:

http://espanol.groups.yahoo.com/group/iyeclub/messages/1?viscount=100
    [/quote]

It's unrelated.&nbsp; It talks about a band and their new album.

[quote author=jesserz44 link=topic=5917.msg247680#msg247680 date=1174674745]
    It's unrelated.&nbsp; It talks about a band and their new album.
    [/quote]

I figured it would turn up nothing.

I am on paltalk.com trying to find the &quot;insult&quot; room that he was in but I'm not having much luck.&nbsp; I wonder if they have removed it?

[quote author=curiousaboutdeath link=topic=5917.msg247698#msg247698 date=1174675202]
    I figured it would turn up nothing.

I am on paltalk.com trying to find the &quot;insult&quot; room that he was in but I'm not having much luck.&nbsp; I wonder if they have removed it?
    [/quote]

Yeah I was looking too, but I didn't see anything even like it.&nbsp; Just general chats like &quot;Overcoming Addiction&quot; and &quot;People from Asia.&quot;

what a bunch of assholes for egging him on...they should be ashamed of themselves..i hoped they watched it and that it haunts them forever...

they should feel ashamed for egging him on, but ultimately it was HIS decision

is it bad that i wanna see the video

Well I don't have the video.&nbsp; How about him hanging around his place?

Shows what little I know about hanging ones self, but I sort of always figured they did it turned the other way... Did TV teach me nothing or did he just do it a little awkward?&nbsp;
    ... Is it bad I still want the video? ha ha
    [quote author=Mr. Formaldehyde]<br />I will wship YOU!!!1[/quote]<br />[quote author=LawChick]<br />I love you back whore. Don&#39;t forget it either.<br />[/quote]

Wow.
    That poor man.
    His ex and children are in my thoughts.
    Rest in peace, Kevin.

I know that sometimes I/we laugh at the Josh Ballards of the world, but I truly hope that if one of us felt the overwhelming suicidal urge and brought it to this forum, MDSers would reach out and help, and show compassion - rather than taunting and harrassing a person already at wit's end.
    With all this talk of thinking outside the box, I am beginning to wonder what&#039;s left inside the box. -Me

don't forget about Brandon Vedas, aka Ripper:

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Ripper
    [quote author=GarryShandling]<br />I&#039;m too shy to express my sexual needs except over the phone to people I don&#039;t know.<br />[/quote]

[quote author=JustGretch link=topic=5917.msg248630#msg248630 date=1174711427]
    Wow.
    That poor man.
    Rest in peace, Kevin.

I know that sometimes I/we laugh at the Josh Ballards of the world, but I truly hope that if one of us felt the overwhelming suicidal urge and brought it to this forum, MDSers would reach out and help, and show compassion - rather than taunting and harrassing a person already at wit's end.

[/quote]

I think you'll find you are disappointed.

[quote author=miseryguts link=topic=5917.msg248953#msg248953 date=1174727519]
    I think you'll find you are disappointed.
    [/quote]

I don't know.&nbsp; I think it would depend on who you, for lack of a better word, &quot;hang with&quot; on MDS.&nbsp;
    I don&#039;t enter into mental warfare with morons.&nbsp; It&#039;s immoral and unethical.&nbsp; They have no ammunition.&nbsp; AIDA convention regulations, article VII, Paragraph XII&nbsp;&nbsp;

[quote author=blunt.force.trauma link=topic=5917.msg249042#msg249042 date=1174750314]
    I don't know.&nbsp; I think it would depend on who you, for lack of a better word, &quot;hang with&quot; on MDS.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

...and how much T and A you show&nbsp;

SOAD

[quote author=JustGretch link=topic=5917.msg248630#msg248630 date=1174711427]
    Wow.
    That poor man.
    Rest in peace, Kevin.

[/quote]

I was the guy who shouted &quot;go on do it....you cant even get that right&quot;

j/k
    even im not that much of an asshole

Thread Information