Thread: Markea Berry (16) starved to death; mother charged with murder

Markea Berry (16) starved to death; mother charged with murder

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...ghter-to-death

COBB COUNTY, Ga. -- A Cobb County grand jury has indicted Ebony Espree Berry on murder charges in the starvation death of her teenage daughter.

The indictment alleges that Berry, 36, of Smyrna, failed to provide adequate nutrition and medical care for Markea Berry, 16, who weighed 43 pounds when she died in June 2012 at the family's home in Smyrna.

Berry is charged with murder, felony murder, and two counts of cruelty to children in the first degree. The indictment was handed down March 28, 2013.

An 11Alive News investigation uncovered disturbing details about the family and its run ins with the law and social workers.

In 2010, Markea ran away and was later found at a nearby Walmart where she told investigators she often went there to sleep overnight because she felt she was burden to her mother.

Requested records from the Georgia Division of Family and Children's Services that showed a caseworker had ongoing contact with the family. That individual described Markea as "extremely thin". DFACS said an investigation fizzled because Ebony Berry was uncooperative.

"The case should have remained open and that child should have been followed up on," admitted DFACS Director Ron Scroggy. He was not in charge of the agency at the time the Berry family was in the system.

11Alive News flew to Michigan to talk to Ebony Berry's family. They acknowledged more than a dozen complaints from social workers when she lived there.

Documents obtained from the state of Michigan detailed that Ebony Berry placed her son in a tub of freezing water for wetting the bed. A caseworker noted that Berry hit Markea in the head with a shoe.

If convicted of all charges, Ms. Berry could face a maximum of life in prison plus 20 years.

Berry remains in custody at the Cobb County Jail on $75,000 bond.

An arraignment date has not been set.

Atty. Rick Kimberly has been appointed to represent Ms. Berry. 11Alive News reached out to Kimberly by phone but he has not returned our call.

I know this photo of Markea is terribly old, but it's the only decent one out there. I distinctly remember this photo from when she went missing in 2010 (I was raised in this county and still live nearby), and it seemed really old even then.

And then there's this "Be Hungry" doctor ...

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=166....google.com%2F

Ebony Berry is charged with child cruelty and murder in the June 15 death of her daughter, Markea Berry, 16, who officials say starved to death.

Dr. Andrew Chung, who calls Ebony Berry a "friend through Facebook" and a "sister in Christ," suggested the jailed woman's daughter "picked up something from the water when she was missing [in 2010]," which could have contributed to her weight loss.

Markea Berry wandered away from home in 2010 when she was 14. She was found safe at a Walmart the next day. Her mother told the Atlanta Journal Constitution at the time her daughter had special needs.

Chung visited Berry at a Cobb County, Ga., jail on June 22, a jail official confirmed to ABCNews.com.

"She is a friend through Facebook. I really didn't want to see her, but she is a sister in Christ," Chung said. "It was right for me to visit her."

The Emory University-educated cardiologist, who preaches people be "wonderfully hungry" and eat no more than two pounds of food per day, said he met Berry at a health fair in 2008. He said she showed an interest in his teachings.

Berry, who lives in the same area as Chung, had reportedly been a follower of the doctor's "Be Hungry" teachings, which he says are healthy for the heart and help combat obesity.

"Guard the body by holding the right amount of food," he said, summing up his belief, which he says is rooted in science. "Everyone goes around talking as it's starvation but medically it's not. Starvation is terrible."

Chung declined to further discuss Berry's case, saying he didn't want to speak for her.

On June 16, police responded to a 911 call where they found the body of the teenager, who was severely malnourished.

The teen, who weighed just 40 pounds at the time of her death in her Mableton, Ga., home and evidence showed she had been neglected, police said.

Her mother is being held without bond in the death of her daughter. She does not yet have a lawyer.

Chung has been called everything from "crazy" to a "caring" and "very educated" man whose findings are rooted in science and scripture.

Keith Ayoob, director of the nutrition clinic at the Rose F. Kennedy Center in the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, called Chung's two-pound rule "disturbing" and also pointed out it doesn't account for water weight in many fruits and vegetables.

"This is a philosophy. I find it troublesome he is making recommendations about eating that are not science-based," Ayoob said.

Chung points out on his site that he does not preach starvation, but rather being "wonderfully hungry."

His two pound philosophy even extends to fruits and vegetables, despite their water content he said.

"It's part of the food, it is food. We have plenty of people here in Georgia who are getting big eating watermelon," Chung said.

In a video posted to his YouTube account, the cardiologist explained his logic. "When we're 10 times hungrier, doesn't food tastes 10 times better?" he asks. "And when food tastes 10 times better, that's wonderful, isn't it?... It's a mathematical principle."

In another video, Chung asks his 10-year-old daughter, whose food he weighs, how she is doing while the two waited in line at a Krispy Kreme shop.

"I'm wonderfully hungry," she replies.

Rev. Charlotte Fairchild, a friend of Chung who lives in Hiram, Ga., said she was introduced to the two-pound rule by Chung and said no blame for Markea Berry's death should be pointed in the direction of the doctor.

"If you were to eat two foot-long Subway sandwiches which weigh a pound each a day could you ever die of anorexia? No, you'd have to be running marathons. I wouldn't even go that far," Fairchild said.

After being on a number of diets, Fairchild said doesn't understand why the "Be Hungry" plan is causing any more outrage than other programs.

"You cannot name a diet I have not been on," she said. "It's just stupid to think that weighing your food is more dangerous than eating nothing but meat and not have any roughage. We call that Atkins. It's because of the concept of hunger people just don't understand."

Chung has more than 5,000 friends on his Facebook page, where he frequently posts scripture and has shared photos of his meals on a scale.

In one picture, his lunch--a sandwich, chips and a cookie-- weighed in at 15 1/8 ounces on a food scale, half of his daily allotment.

But Ayoob worries adherents of the diet, especially children, are missing out on nutrients and are being sent a potentially detrimental message that being full is equated with guilt.

"The bottom line is that you don't get enough nutrition," he said. "I make recommendations based on sound science and these are not."

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    that lady needs to fry, and her doctor friend is crazy as fuck. potato chips are light....is this motherfucker trying to tell me that eating 2lbs of potato chips a day will keep me from being obese?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    The investigation fizzled because the mothers was uncooperative?? Wtf??

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post
    EXACTLY! Whatever the mom was doing with that 2 lbs of food thing-CPS dropped the fucking ball again!

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    that lady needs to fry, and her doctor friend is crazy as fuck. potato chips are light....is this motherfucker trying to tell me that eating 2lbs of potato chips a day will keep me from being obese?
    YAY!!! FINALLY!!! The ever elusive potato chip diet!!!

MY DREAMS HAVE COME TRUE!!

that's what i was thinking. that is the opposite of what should happen.

fuck these people.

rip markea.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    Dude, right? Try it out and let us know.

Bitches like this shouldn't be able to have kids. It's gross. Poor girl slept at a Walmart because she felt like a burden to her mom. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

Reminds me of this book. Starvation Heights That doctor did a similar "cure" for disease- several months of eating nothing but tomato broth, plus daily enemas. And people totally paid her for it and many said it was a miracle cure.

Oh well, if the mother was uncooperative in an abuse and/or neglect investigation, it MUST mean that she was doing everything just fine.

Yeah, Georgia DFCS isn't exactly known for its award-winning work ... last time I checked. And I'm not too sure Michigan CPS is on top of its game, either.

Anyway, this article gives more information from Markea's dad and other family in Michigan, including a video.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...er-she-starved

Family: Mom hated daughter she starved

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Family members of a teen girl who was allegedly starved to death by her mother in Georgia said there was a history of abuse that started when the girl and her mother lived in Grand Rapids.

Every family member 24 Hour News 8 spoke with on both sides of the girl's family -- even the suspected mother's father -- agreed on one point: They all said Ebony Berry hated her oldest daughter Markea Blakley-Berry.

"She hated her. She punished her daughter," said Markea's paternal grandmother Cheryl Goree. "She didn't have to kill my grandbaby like that."

Larry Stewart got the news of his granddaughter's death over the weekend from his daughter Berry, who now faces murder and first-degree child cruelty by deprivation charges.

Berry, 38, called Saturday to tell Stewart that her 16-year-old daughter Markea was unresponsive.

"I got her off the phone," Stewart said. "I said, 'You dial 911. Don't call me. Call me back and let me know what's going on with the child.'"

But by the time police got to the Atlanta-area home, Markea was dead.

"It's sad, you know. It's like something that doesn't even seem real yet to me," said Markea's father Mark Blakely. . "You got kids, try to spend as much time as you can with them. Try to keep them safe."

Her family said that was the end of 16 years of abuse.

"It's horrible," said Goree "It's sad. It's horrible [to] even think a child can go through that."

They said she weighed only 40 pounds.

"It's, like, mind-blowing to me. I can't even understand it," said Blakely . "How could anybody to that to somebody? You wouldn't even do your worst enemy that way."

Michigan CPS launched more than a half-dozen investigations when the family lived in Grand Rapids, but only once did they substantiate abuse. The family has a lot of questions about why their cries for help couldn't save Markea.

"I think the state should have stepped in long before now," said Stewart.

Still, Berry ended up in the Atlanta area.

"She ran to do wrong," said Blakely. "Nobody helped, nobody tried to stop her. The system knew that she wasn't wrapped all the way tight."

They also told a story about a time when Markea ran away from the Georgia home. They said she was found in a Walmart in the area, where they said she was caught stealing food.

Larry Stewart told 24 Hour News 8 family members were told by Cobb County area detectives "that possibly for two years that my grandchild had been starved systematically."

Markea was born prematurely with mental disabilities, and she seemed to get special attention from her mother in the worst way.

"Her mother hated her for some reason. We don't know," said Goree.

Even Ebony's father Larry could see something wasn't right.

Read more: http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...er-she-starved

(The video below is not exactly the same as the one with the story above, but it's the same news outlet. I couldn't for the life of me get the other vid to embed correctly.)

Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

This story just gets worse and worse. Everyone knew, and no one did anything. Nobody pushed to get that child the help she needed, it sounds like, and that pisses me off.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Dude, my 6 1/2 year old weighs almost 40lbs. Fuck...I just can't even with these kinds of people.
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

Gah, I can't even imagine a 16 year old surviving at 40-43 pounds. People who suffer from anorexia usually pass way before they hit that much weight.

That little girl was gorgeous.

RIP baby girl. I'm sorry you were cursed with a soulless excuse of a mother and justice system that didn't give a fuck about you.

Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

My 4 year old weighs 43 pounds!

What a disturbing though - a mother who hates her child so much that she starves her. Gah. Both my daughters are 40 lbs now (6 & 8) and I couldn't imagine a teen ager at that weight. Poor child. I hope justice is served with a heavy hand.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain

I periodically check for updates on this, and I finally found something, but I need one of you darling people to help me figure out what it means. Here's a link to the pdf: http://www.cobbsuperiorcourtclerk.or...LL.AMENDED.pdf

Here's the front page of the pdf:

Here's Page 3 with Ebony at the top:

And here's Page 41:

On Page 3, it says "disposition" next to Ebony Berry ... doesn't that mean that she has decided to plead guilty instead of going to trial? But she's listed on the "jury calendar" (whatever that means) for tomorrow.

I guess something will happen tomorrow. The media hasn't said anything that I can find.
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

I've been waiting for this. (It still breaks my heart to imagine this little girl sleeping under carts at Walmart because she thought she was too much of a problem for her mom.)

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/lo...aded/16475997/

Markea Berry's mother pleads guilty; sentenced to 30 years

(Sept. 30, 2014) COBB COUNTY, Ga. -- The mother of a Cobb County teenager who starved to death two years ago has pleaded guilty to her involvement in the girl's death.

Ebony Berry entered her plea in court Tuesday morning. She faced one count each of involuntary manslaughter, first-degree cruelty to children and second-degree cruelty to children in the death of her 16-year-old daughter Markea.

A judge sentenced Berry to 30 years in prison and 10 on probation. She will not be allowed to have any contact with children, and must undergo mental evaluations and treatment while on probation.

"I just want to apologize for everybody having to come out today for my situation and my circumstances involving my daughter," Berry told the court.

Before Berry entered her plea, prosecutors agreed to drop murder charges against her, saying they did not believe she intentionally killed Markea. Berry was charged with involuntary manslaughter because she never took Markea to a doctor, and waited about an hour to call 911 after finding her daughter unresponsive.

The defense argued that at the time of the teen's death, Berry was overwhelmed with raising three other children, including a newborn, and couldn't give Markea the care she needed. The other three children are now in the care of Berry's aunt in Michigan.

Defense attorneys also cited an entry in Markea Berry's diary. The teen wrote that she believed hunger was the way to salvation. Family members said Markea was never deprived of dinner; sometimes she ate with the family, and sometimes she did not.

Markea Berry weighed only 43 pounds when she died in June 2012.

Also ...

This irks me. While it certainly seems that DFCS (from both states) dropped the ball in this case, Markea's entire family KNEW she was being neglected and abused. Why do people always expect "the state" to handle everything? They were her family. She was their flesh and blood, FFS! I get so frustrated, because every time a kid dies like this, there are a dozen family members/neighbors/etc. who knew there was a serious problem. Argh!

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/lo...dfcs/10591825/

A lawsuit filed against DFCS says they could have prevented Markea Berry from starving to death.

(June 16, 2014) ATLANTA-- The family of a 16-year-old girl starved to death has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Division of Family and Children's Services.

DFCS first started developing a case on Markea Berry in 2009. 11Alive obtained case files where Markea was described as "very thin." In another entry the caseworker was "very concerned" that Markea was "not being fed."

In 2010, Markea ran away. An Amber Alert was issued. Authorities later found the girl, then 14, at a nearby Walmart. She told investigators she often went there to "sleep overnight" sometimes on a shelf concealed by packages of paper towels and sometimes outside under shopping carts. She told investigators she'd rather stay at the store than go home, because she felt she was a burden on her mother.

In June 2012, Ebony Berry called 911 saying her daughter was unresponsive. Detectives determined she was starved to death by her mother and charged Berry with murder.

The lawsuit filed in the State Court of Cobb County contains additional details of Markea's life leading up to her 2010 death:

In 2005, a DFCS caseworker said Markea "looks like a child who is being isolated and locked/confined to a room and not being fed."

DFCS received incomplete records from Michigan DFCS, including a number of referrals from 1999 through 2004 . "Despite these alarming reports in the Michigan records... DFCS never followed up to ensure it received complete records from Michigan."

DFCS never confirmed Ms. Berry took her children to see a doctor.

Despite numerous warning flags, Cobb County DFCS closed the investigation due to "lack of cooperation."

The lawsuit claims "A proper investigation is likely to have led DFCS to undertake interventions that would have led either to a safer home environment or to placing the children in foster care. A proper DFCS investigation is likely to have prevented Markea Berry's death by starvation."

The lawsuit is filed by John Figures. Figures is the administrator of Markea's estate. The lawsuit claim is for $1,000,000.

A similar wrongful death lawsuit was planned by Emani Moss's grandmother. She and her lawyers sent a letter of intent in November 2013. On February 24 2014, the Georgia Supreme Court issued a decision reaffirming Georgia's sovereign immunity laws. The decision means a plaintiff must prove that a government action (in this case DFCS) acted with malice. The Moss' case against DFCS was not pursued in light of the court's decision.

Attorney Marc Howard admits they had to rethink their case after the Supreme Court ruling. Still, he believes they can win if they prove case workers failed to follow the state's own written policies.

Howard said the timing of the lawsuit has nothing to do with Gov. Deal's shake-up of the division. DFCS would not comment on the case.

And, since the pic I originally posted of Markea isn't there anymore, here she is (it's an old photo because, apparently, no one ever gave enough of a shit to take any pictures of her, ever):

I totally agree with the above. No family member should be allowed to sue anybody who they knew the child was being neglected. If you ask me, family members had way more responsibility to this child than DCS.

Couldn't they have at least let Markea sleep at their house?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

i've heard of this before - the cps giving up because of lack of cooperation. wtf? that's when you should double down on your efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Couldn't they have at least let Markea sleep at their house?
    If mum managed to keep child protection out - people with a legal basis for access to her, I doubt very much that family outside of that home had a hope in hell of getting near her. Unless the kid is old enough & able enough to run to family & stand up to the inevitable backlash from mum, family really can't do shit.

Try over-riding the legal stuff to get a kid out of a bad situation fast & you might just find yourself charged with abduction & refused contact in future. It's not as simple as it sounds (& I'm saying this from the point of view of someone who's grandparents, aunts & uncles did try)

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    If mum managed to keep child protection out - people with a legal basis for access to her, I doubt very much that family outside of that home had a hope in hell of getting near her. Unless the kid is old enough & able enough to run to family & stand up to the inevitable backlash from mum, family really can't do shit.

Try over-riding the legal stuff to get a kid out of a bad situation fast & you might just find yourself charged with abduction & refused contact in future. It's not as simple as it sounds (& I'm saying this from the point of view of someone who's grandparents, aunts & uncles did try)

I know what you're saying, Star. I really do. You can't just snatch a kid from their custodial parent and go on your merry way.

Markea's dad and other family might have reported the situation to child services, but there's no indication they actually tried to get custody of her. They had 16 years of this child's miserable existence to sue for custody. And if Ebony hated Markea as much as the family says, and if Ebony was as overwhelmed by caring for so many kids like the defense lawyer says, then would she have really put up much of a fight for custody? I guess we'll never know.

(And the same goes for the family of Emani Moss, who was mentioned in that lawsuit article. I should check for updates for that thread.)

Anyway, I'm sure they "loved" Markea ... just not enough to be the ones to raise her and deal with her disabilities and any other problems she had. But, of course, I could be wrong.

And this is O/T, but I thought of you (and your mom) earlier, Star. I was trying to take a little snooze while my son is at preschool, and I got an unexpected knock at the door. It was the Jehovah's Witnesses. Argh! They used to haunt us badly but haven't stopped by in a couple of years. And it's always two really sweet ladies, so I can't bear to tell them to fuck off like I really want to do. I was very polite to them, so I know they'll be back! Damnit!

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    I know what you're saying, Star. I really do. You can't just snatch a kid from their custodial parent and go on your merry way.

Markea's dad and other family might have reported the situation to child services, but there's no indication they actually tried to get custody of her. They had 16 years of this child's miserable existence to sue for custody. And if Ebony hated Markea as much as the family says, and if Ebony was as overwhelmed by caring for so many kids like the defense lawyer says, then would she have really put up much of a fight for custody? I guess we'll never know.

(And the same goes for the family of Emani Moss, who was mentioned in that lawsuit article. I should check for updates for that thread.)

Anyway, I'm sure they "loved" Markea ... just not enough to be the ones to raise her and deal with her disabilities and any other problems she had. But, of course, I could be wrong.

And this is O/T, but I thought of you (and your mom) earlier, Star. I was trying to take a little snooze while my son is at preschool, and I got an unexpected knock at the door. It was the Jehovah's Witnesses. Argh! They used to haunt us badly but haven't stopped by in a couple of years. And it's always two really sweet ladies, so I can't bear to tell them to fuck off like I really want to do. I was very polite to them, so I know they'll be back! Damnit!
    In Illinois, the father would have needed a lawyer, or DCFS. You can't take someone's kid because they're neglecting them. That will lead to you being charged with kidnapping. Even if you're the father.

Thread Information